FEMA Camp ‘Freedom’ Houses over 800 Citizens in Oceanport as New York Opens Prison for Displaced Individuals

20 Comments

The FEMA Camp (tent city) dubbed “Camp Freedom” is home to over 800 citizens in the Martial Law controlled region of New Jersey that was devastated by the recent super storm.

By Shepard Ambellas
theintelhub.com
November 10, 2012

OCEANPORT — No media is allowed into “Camp Freedom” as the government is afraid the truth will reach the masses. City and government buses have been converted to transport displaced civilians and emergency workers into the camp as a major snow squall and bad weather continue to plague the region.

Martial law is still in effect.

Military, FEMA and the Red Cross are on scene inside the camp perimeter.The third world conditions at “Camp Freedom” are despicable to say the least as residents have stated:

“Everybody is angry over here. It’s like being prison,” said Sotelo, who grew up in Wayne. “I’ve been working since I was 10. I’ve been on my own since I was 16. And for things to be so bad that it’s pissing me off, that tells you something.”, according to app.com.
More displaced residents are expected to sign-in as weather and fuel conditions worsen. Military and law enforcement are running heavy patrols in the storm battered areas.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was quoted as saying:

“I mean, I can’t build them apartments right now, in the next week, so we’re gonna get them as close to their homes as we can get them. But I can’t wave a magic wand and create housing.”

100′s of thousands of people remain without power as emergency crews work day and night.

CBS reported, “Sandy’s destruction has left thousands of people homeless for the foreseeable future. FEMA estimates 101,000 people in New York and New Jersey qualify for hotel subsidies and 56,000 people qualify for help renting a new home or fixing a damaged one. And the agency’s moving in several hundred mobile homes into the hurricane zone.”

And if this is not enough for you yet or if it is all unbelievable, in New York City they are now using prison facilities as temporary housing facilities for displaced citizens, solving the need for portable FEMA camps.

The New York Post reported;

The state is eyeing the recently shuttered Arthur Kill Correctional Facility on Staten Island as a temporary home for people displaced by the ravages of Sandy and this week’s nasty nor’easter, officials said yesterday.

Closed last December, the medium-security prison could feed and sleep as many as 900 people with nowhere else to go.

“Our facilities staff have to go through it to determine what it would take to get it up and running for such a purpose,” said Peter Cutler, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections.

Displaced Sandy victims could be housed in dorms at Staten Island’s shuttered Arthur Kill Correctional Facility — razor wire and all.

“Of course, the challenge is the fact that it was closed a year ago and all of the major infrastructure components, such as boilers and wastewater system, were deactivated.”

There are as many as 40,000 New Yorkers who need shelter from the one-two punch of extreme weather events, according to city estimates.

On Staten Island alone, about 5,200 people applied for temporary FEMA housing, but only about two dozen people have been successfully placed, federal sources said.

So it may resemble a scene out of “The Walking Dead,” but officials and displaced people alike say the former prison ought to be considered as a refuge.

FEMA Camp ‘Freedom’ Houses over 800 Citizens in Oceanport as New York Opens Prison for Displaced Individuals :