Voice of Europe

Five times more support for party that vows to "make Spain great again"

By Paul Dijks 7 November 2018

Javier Ortega, Secretary General of Vox - Image: MiguelOses / shutterstock.com

The leader of the Spanish Vox party, Santiago Abascal, explained the recent surge in support for the Vox party, he said it is because the are “in step with what millions of Spaniards think”.
The far-left have tried to paint Vox as ‘far-right’ or ‘populist, anti-immigration, anti-Islam’ but 42-year-old Basque says that no, “defends the constitutional order, constitutional reform in some areas, the unity of Spain and centralisation of the state, and wants immigration to be brought under control”. Most people globally would agree.
Since their founding in 2014, Vox have made small advances in garnering support, however, last month 9,000 supporters filled a Madrid sports centre. Recent polls by Celeste-Tel reveal five times more support from the electorate, just since January.

Those in attendance of the rally said there is a social stigma attached to supporting Vox by those on the far-left: “People call me fascist, xenophobe, loads of things,” hotel employee Ana Ferrer, who was one of them, says. “But those who really know me know I’m not like that. My partner is a woman, for example, and I’m not Catholic. For me, [Vox] is not on the far right.”
Vox’s leaders also reject the far-right label, insisting it is a party of “extreme necessity” rather than extremism and its overall support for Spain’s membership of the EU differentiates it from many populist and far-right movements across Europe.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/11/fi...G5PEa8.twitter