Food Stamp Cuts Portrayed As The End Of The World

By Robert Gehl on November 1, 2013 Subscribe to Robert Gehl's Feed

The stories are frightening. “47 Million Americans Hit By Food Stamp Cuts Starting Today” screams USA Today. “Families Brace As Billions In Food Stamp Cuts Set In” yells NBC News.

Sounds like the end of the world. But of course – it’s not.

It’s the end of the temporary hike on food stamps passed during the 2009 stimulus bill. What it essentially means is that an average family of four – with NO other income – that receives an average of $275 in food stamp assistance every will see that amount drop by $36.

The stories are horrendous! Ghastly! Heartbreaking! Like Amira Watson, a working mother of four in Brooklyn. She relies on food pantries and food stamps to feed her family.

Or Lance Worth of Olympia, Wash., who said he will have to feed his 12-year-old daughter and himself on $20 less per month. “I guess I’m just going to go $20 hungrier – aren’t I? He asked.

The reduction amounts to about 13.6 percent across the board and will save the taxpayer more than $5 billion.

Democrats are demanding those cuts be reinstated.

I feel for the neediest in our society who have to rely on government handouts and charities to feed themselves and their loved ones – but this isn’t the end of the world.

In fact, couldn’t one argue that this might actually be a good thing?

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/food...-of-the-world/