Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gingrich: Obama’s Admin Won’t Profile Terrorists, But They’ll Profile ‘Patriots’?

Gingrich: Obama’s Admin Won’t Profile Terrorists, But They’ll Profile ‘Patriots’? This is Almost Madness

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich comments on the IRS scandal that the agency specifically targeted conservative political groups, saying that Obamacare has a ‘huge problem’ since it relies heavily on that government agency.
    Read more: therightscoop.com
    Last edited by kathyet; 05-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.

IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

Video: In a press conference Monday, President Obama addressed the Internal Revenue Service’s targeting of groups critical of government, and said, “I’ve got no patience with it. I will not tolerate it.”

As new details emerged Monday, Democrats and Republicans alike decried the agency’s actions as an unacceptable abuse of power.

In a news conference Monday, President Obama said he learned of the investigating in media reports on Friday and has “no patience with it.”

Graphic

A report due this week says the IRS targeted groups with names containing “tea party” and “patriot.”

More from PostPolitics
    Republican math: IRS > Benghazi

Benghazi"> Chris Cillizza and Sean Sullivan 3:32 AM ET
    THE FIX | If the GOP is smart, they would spend most of their time pursuing what went wrong at the IRS.

Obama’s claim on ‘act of terrorism’

Glenn Kessler 3:00 AM ET
    FACT CHECKER | President Obama asserts he called the Benghazi attack an “act of terrorism” within a day. But that’s not correct.

IRS released confidential info on conservative groups to ProPublica

Josh Hicks 3:01 AM ET
    The IRS provided the documents to the investigative-reporting organization, potentially violating federal guidelines.

Read more

“If in fact IRS personnel engaged in the kind of practices that have been reported on, and were intentionally targeting conservative groups, then that’s outrageous,” Obama said. “And there’s no place for it. And they have to be held fully accountable.”

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Monday that the White House counsel’s office learned of an upcoming IRS inspector general’s report on April 22 as part of a routine notification but had not received access to the report.

On Capitol Hill, two Senate panels — the Finance Committee and the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations — announced Monday that they will investigate. The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and the Ways and Means Committee have been looking into reports of IRS attempts to single out organizations on the right for heightened scrutiny. Ways and Means has called IRS officials to testify Friday.

“These actions by the IRS are an outrageous abuse of power and a breach of the public’s trust,” said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.). “The IRS will now be the ones put under additional scrutiny.”

Separately, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio) introduced companion bills Monday that would require the IRS to fire any employee found “willfully” violating “the constitutional rights of a taxpayer,” according to statements by both lawmakers. The bills also would make them criminally liable for their actions.

Even as Obama vowed that his administration “will make sure that we find out exactly what happened on this,” however, the IRS offered no new information on how it selected which groups to single out for scrutiny.

The White House is legally barred from contacting the IRS about a tax matter, under a prohibition adopted after the Watergate scandal. And although it can contact the Treasury Department about tax issues, neither Treasury nor the IRS can disclose specific taxpayer information. The IRS can release information about a petition for tax-
    exempt status only after it has been approved.

Obama is not in a position to remove Lerner, a career official who can be terminated for cause only under normal civil service proceedings. The IRS has two political appointees: the commissioner, who serves a five-year term, and the chief counsel.

As the IRS came under broader political attack Monday, more details surfaced on how the exempt-organizations division struggled to determine which nonprofits should receive “social welfare” status after the 2010 Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission ruling. That decision, which allowed corporations and unions to raise and spend un*limited amounts of money on elections, opened the door for groups to accept undisclosed contributions as long as their “primary purpose” was not politics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...9_story_1.html

Any one impressed with our government officials yet ????
    Last edited by kathyet; 05-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Cruz: IRS Scandal ‘Harkens Back to the Days of Nixon,’ Carney Guilty of ‘Flat-out Falsehoods’

By Katrina Trinko
    May 13, 2013 5:32 PM

Senator Ted Cruz says the IRS scandal “harkens back to the days of Richard Nixon,” and proves that President Obama keeps an “enemies list.”
    “This is part of a distressing pattern of the Obama administration of being less than honest with the American people and using the machinery of government to target their political opponents,” Cruz tells National Review in an interview.

“It harkens back to the days of Richard Nixon and maintaining a political enemies list and treating the federal government as a tool to exact the administration’s retribution,” he adds.

“I believe the president owes an accounting to the American people,” the senator says, “when senior administration officials speak directly to the American people and utter flat-out falsehoods, as Jay Carney did when he said the State Department had never edited the talking points, when in fact ABC News has reported there were a dozen edits from the State Department of those talking points; or as the IRS did, when the head of the IRS testified before Congress that there was no targeting of political appointees when senior officials at the IRS knew for a fact they had been doing precisely that – targeting conservative groups, targeting tea-party groups, targeting Jewish groups, targeting pro-Israel groups, engaging in conduct that is completely inappropriate for an agency of the federal government.”

In November, Carney said at a White House press briefing that “the White House and the State Department have made clear that the single adjustment that was made to those talking points by either of those two institutions were changing the word ‘consulate’ to ‘diplomatic facility’ because ‘consulate’ was inaccurate.”
    ABC reported last week that they had “obtained 12 different versions of the talking points that show they were extensively edited” and that “White House emails reviewed by ABC News suggest the edits were made with extensive input from the State Department.”

Talking about media coverage of the IRS after the story broke, Cruz singled out the New York Times for criticism, criticizing the newspaper’s decision to headline a story today, “I.R.S. Focus on Conservatives Gives G.O.P. an Issue to Seize On.”

“The front page of the New York Times struck me as almost self-parody, in that the headline on this story was not that the IRS has admitted now it was targeting political enemies of the president,” Cruz says. “Rather, the headline the New York Times chose to run with was that this issue gives Republicans yet another issue to criticize. So apparently the story in the New York Times’ view is not the underlying corruption, not the misuse of the federal government to exact political retribution, but rather the fact that there is an even a slight effort to hold the administration accountable.”

“I think there is no doubt that, had the same underlying facts come to light in a Republican administration, the New York Times headline would have been very, very different,” he adds. “We don’t have to theorize about this hypothetically because this exact tactic was practiced by Richard Nixon. The New York Times was rightly indignant about it. And yet when practiced by a Democrat somehow it’s barely news.”

Cruz called for an investigation of the IRS’s actions, saying, “I think there needs to be a thorough inquiry into what happened, who made the decision to target the political enemies of the administration, why they made that decision, whose favor they believed they were currying by making that decision, and who in the administration was either aware of it or willfully ignorant of it.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/348191...-out-falsehood
    Last edited by kathyet; 05-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Scandal-Ridden Obama: Republicans Are Making Americans “Cynical About Government”…

Yeah, nothing to do with the Benghazi, IRS and AP records scandals.
    Via Washington Examiner:
    President Obama resorted to his old “fever” analogy to complain to Democratic Party donors about ongoing Republican “hyper-partisanship.” He also admitted to failing to deliver the post-partisan era promised in 2008.

“What’s blocking us right now is a sort of hyper-partisanship in Washington that I was, frankly, hoping to overcome in 2008,” Obama said today, according to the pool report. “My thinking was when we beat them in 2012 that might break the fever, and it’s not quite broken yet. But I am persistent. And I am staying at it. And I genuinely believe there are Republicans out there who would like to work with us but they’re fearful of their base and they’re concerned about what Rush Limbaugh might say about them.”

The president — whose administration has spent the last four days under fire for failing to send aid to Americans under attack in Benghazi; hiding what it knew about terrorists’ involvement in the attack for two weeks; employing IRS staff who targeted Tea Party groups for special audits; and having the Justice Department pull phone records of Associated Press reporters — then said that the Republican opposition is producing cynicism about government.

“As a consequence we get the kind of gridlock that makes people cynical about government,” he told donors. “My intentions over the next 3 ½ years are to govern. … If there are folks who are more interested in winning elections than they are thinking about the next generation then I want to make sure there are consequences to that.”

Keep reading…

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-...stom_click=rss

“As a consequence we get the kind of gridlock that makes people cynical about government,” he told donors. “My intentions over the next 3 ½ years are to govern. … If there are folks who are more interested in winning elections than they are thinking about the next generation then I want to make sure there are consequences to that.”
    Any one impressed yet????