Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Kerry aims to rescue newspapers

Kerry didn't get the message did he? No more bail outs. These liberal rags are closing their doors because their customers are fed up with them manipulating the news.

Kerry aims to rescue newspapers

By Jennifer Harper (Contact) | Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The "death of newspapers" has drawn powerful political interest.

Troubled by the possible shuttering of his hometown paper, Sen. John Kerry reached out to the Boston Globe on Tuesday, then called for Senate hearings to address the woes of the nation's print media.

"To the Boston Globe family," the Massachusetts Democrat wrote to employees of the 132-year-old publication, which faces closure unless it can come up with $20 million in union concessions to parent company the New York Times by May 1. The Globe is losing $1 million a week.

"America's newspapers are struggling to survive, and while there will be serious consequences in terms of the lives and financial security of the employees involved, including hundreds at the Globe, there will also be serious consequences for our democracy where diversity of opinion and strong debate are paramount," Mr. Kerry said.

Most newspapers are in similar circumstances as the industry struggles with the worst job losses on record and plummeting revenues. Faced with competition from online and broadcast sources, all papers now seek multimedia ways to deliver their news and monetize their content.

"I am committed to your fight, committed to your industry and committed to ensuring that the vital public service newspapers provide does not disappear," Mr. Kerry told the Globe employees.

Lawmakers are witnessing the crisis firsthand. Press watchdogs who once prowled Capitol Hill are disappearing, replaced by special-interest publications and foreign news organizations.

In February, a study by the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism found that in the past two decades, the number of American news organizations accredited to cover Congress fell by two-thirds - from 564 in 1985 to 160 in early 2007. More cutbacks have been made since then.

Washington once hosted 71 newspaper bureaus; now there are 25. Policy-influencing, special-interest publications and foreign newspapers, however, have multiplied. For example, in 1968, there were 160 foreign journalists in Washington. Now there are nearly 800.

Mr. Kerry, who has called for Senate hearings on "the future of journalism" to begin May 6, also cited the negative influence of "agenda-driven reporting" and media conglomerates.

The new complexities of the marketplace have drawn other interest.

Seeking to parse some potential policy solutions, the House Judiciary courts and competition policy subcommittee held a hearing Tuesday addressing fair competition, new business models and other alternatives for the troubled industry.

"The decline of print newspapers doesn't mean the decline of journalism. What we need to have for journalism is journalists, and lots of them," testified Ben Scott of the Free Press, a nonpartisan group for media reform.

"But we should avoid the temptation to turn to policies that resemble bailouts. We should not relax the antitrust standards to permit further consolidation. The most consolidated newspaper companies are among those in the worst financial shape today," he said.

Last month, Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin, Maryland Democrat, introduced the Newspaper Revitalization Act" that would allow papers to operate as nonprofits, prompting many analysts to examine the political implications of the tactic.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -industry/
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Wouldn't he rather find out why newspapers are failing? Why are people cancelling subscriptions? I know I no longer buy papers that print sob stories about criminals such as illegal aliens.

If I want an opinion, I'll ask for it. I want facts, not opinions or sob stories. I don't care about the editors or reporters opinions, why should I pay for it?

Kerry getting involved..hmmmm..certain death for the globe.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

If newspaper reported the news instead of printing editorials, maybe people would be interested in reading them.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senator Kerry is afraid of "Change" because many of the newspapers are are just political rags. Welcome to the new world of new media (internet) where, while still grappling with it's own loons, is slowly but surely becoming the medium where we get our news and opinions.

ELE

The American people know the newspapers are sell-out's.

The American people feel that the newspapers and media are sell-outs to big business and the political elites. The newspapers no longer seek the truth and print it they work for the enemies of the American people.
    That's why they are failing!

Re: The American people know the newspapers are sell-out's.

Quote Originally Posted by ELE
    The American people feel that the newspapers and media are sell-outs to big business and the political elites. The newspapers no longer seek the truth and print it they work for the enemies of the American people.
    That's why they are failing!
    My thoughts EXACTLY!

Kerry: "I vow to save these newspapers from failing. Wait, no I don't. Wait, yes I do.......
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Why don't we just bailout every single failed institution in America? Who needs responsibility and accountability in this country? That is for losers. Who needs to earn your way with hard work and honesty? That is for losers as well. Lets just run this country into the ground and depend on big brother government to bail us out. Lets just print more money and have the gullible American people foot the bill. Makes complete sense to me.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn