Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Kidnapping scams, common in Mexico, find way to Houston

Kidnapping scams, common in Mexico, find way to Houston

Police say man was tricked into paying ransom for 'pregnant' woman

By DANE SCHILLER
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Jan. 25, 2008, 11:57PM

A chilling voice mail came over Delfino Ramirez Diaz's cell phone: His pregnant and sobbing girlfriend told Ramirez she'd been snatched by kidnappers and only a ransom of $10,000 would stop them from inducing labor and selling their twins on the black market.

"Help me, my love! Help me!" Maria Isabel Puente said in Spanish. "They said they are going to give me an herb to remove my babies," she continued. "I love you so much. Whatever happens, I love you so much."

The incident, which police said played out quietly in Houston last week, turned out to be a scam.

Kidnapping scams, such as people staging their own abductions, are common in Mexico, the birthplace of both Ramirez and Puente. But authorities said they now appear to be popping up in Houston, with three in the past few months.

Ramirez, 43, who owns a home remodeling business, kept a recording of one of the calls. He was tricked out of at least $10,000.

Police say Puente, 38, had conned Ramirez into believing she was pregnant. Officers arrested her on a felony theft charge.

"The cleverness of the whole thing, you have to give her credit," said Houston police Detective C.P. Abbondandolo, one of several officers who put in long hours on the case. "Perhaps she can get an Academy Award in addition to a jail sentence."

During an interview at a Harris County jail facility, Puente grinned in disbelief when asked if she tricked Ramirez with a staged kidnapping.

"I don't know a thing about it," she said, and she added that she was having a hard time hearing through the thick, protective glass at the jail.

Targeting immigrants
    Immigrants are falling victim to the old crime with a new lease on life, and police are spending numerous hours scrambling to save a supposed victim, said Lt. Murray Smith of the homicide division, which handles approximately six legitimate kidnappings a year.

"If it is happening, people need to not pay money, and to call the police," said Smith, who added that despite the extra time and money a fake kidnap case can require, police treat every incident as potentially real.

"You can imagine somebody calling the police department saying, 'My nine-month pregnant girlfriend is kidnapped,' " he said. "We have to treat that serious as anybody would expect us to do."

Retired FBI agent Raul Salinas, who taught anti-kidnapping courses to Mexican police and is now mayor of the border city of Laredo, said kidnapping scams are so common in Mexico that there is a term for them — autosecuestro — which basically translates as "self-kidnapping."

"I handled a couple in Mexico City — they would claim they were kidnapped and they were just trying to extort their families," Salinas said.

University of Houston sociologist Nestor Rodriguez said he hadn't yet heard of the kidnapping scams hitting Houston immigrant communities, but he wouldn't rule out the possibility.

"The border doesn't stop this," he said. "People who have success doing this are going to try it anywhere they find vulnerable people willing to believe a story."

"He (Ramirez) did what any decent person would do when someone they care about is in distress," Rodriguez said. "He wanted to help, but unfortunately, he was the victim here."

Speaking outside his northwest Houston home earlier this week, Ramirez said he was more disappointed and hurt than angry.

"She broke my heart — they were very painful lies," he said. "When I heard her crying, I wanted to do all I could."

Woman nabbed
    Ramirez said he received about six calls from Puente. The demands started at $30,000 and went down to $10,000 before Ramirez deposited money into a bank account in her name, he said. She was to withdraw it to buy her freedom.

He said she told him an elaborate story about being blindfolded and driven about five hours, presumably to a ranch in the Rio Grande Valley.

But police, who would not share their investigative techniques, traced her to an apartment in the 2200 block of Wirt, where she was with another man. After about 10 minutes of knocking, Puente answered the door and told more than a dozen officers gathered outside that she was fine and didn't know anything about a kidnapping.

"When you turn the lights on, this is a clever, conniving woman who came up with a way to get a bunch of money," Abbondandolo, the detective, said.

dane.schiller@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5487398.html

COMMENTS
    Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the Houston Chronicle. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed or all of their content blocked from viewing by other users without notification.

econbanc wrote:
    When I see her photo here it makes me think of that Danny DeVito / Bette Midler film " Ruthless People"....the boyfriend should have told the "kidnappers' to keep her sorry a**.....
    1/26/2008 12:59 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

4togo wrote:
    The headline should have read:
    “Kidnapping scams, common in Mexico, find way to Sanctuary City.
    1/26/2008 1:05 AM CST
    Recommend (60) Report abuse

Kittygram wrote:
    Something else imported from south of the border. When will it stop? More U.S. citizen tax dollars going down the drain for the illegals!
    1/26/2008 1:45 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

mariohou wrote:
    Thanks for creating a sanctuary city Bill White!

http://cityofhouston.biz/

http://billwhiteofhouston.com/

1/26/2008 1:52 AM CST
    Recommend (41) Report abuse

onivert wrote:
    "After about 10 minutes of knocking, Puente answered the door and told more than a dozen officers gathered outside that she was fine and didn't know anything about a kidnapping."

I guess the 12 plus officers were going to "knock" through the door if no one opened it? lol.... couldn't help myself )
    1/26/2008 2:54 AM CST
    Recommend (12) Report abuse

VincentOMoh wrote:
    Hey, Mariohou. Don't thank Bill White! Thank reality. In reality money is the root of success in the USA. Money slaps the notion of sealing the border so hard in the face that the notion is bleeding from its mouth.
    1/26/2008 4:23 AM CST
    Recommend ( Report abuse

MoneyforNothin wrote:
    Clever article using "immigrant" & "Mexico" without ever using ILLEGAL.
    1/26/2008 4:32 AM CST
    Recommend (39) Report abuse

JamesDrouin wrote:
    How can this be??? You mean there are criminals among the ILLEGAL ALIENS???

I am absolutely positive that the left-wing liberal DEMOCRATS in this country are guaranteeing that the only ILLEGAL ALIENS coming from points south are poor disposessed peasants seeking a better life!!!
    1/26/2008 5:05 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

oldgringostan wrote:
    How bout it Dane, was she a legal immigrant????
    1/26/2008 5:11 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

mechiii wrote:
    Is this another one of those jobs that Americans won't do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1/26/2008 5:15 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

ratfink wrote:
    More than likely the kidnapped and the duped boyfriend are illegals. Slap felonies on her and deport them both.
    1/26/2008 5:31 AM CST
    Recommend (41) Report abuse

gatorbait wrote:
    A sanctuary city is the same thing as a Border Town....wide open and corrupt from top to bottom.
    1/26/2008 5:46 AM CST
    Recommend (44) Report abuse

DrRunner wrote:
    What about that illegal David Medina? Deport him and Rosenthal!
    1/26/2008 6:20 AM CST
    Recommend (9) Report abuse

wildbill wrote:
    Houston has become a melting pot for con men...
    1/26/2008 6:51 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

LifeIsGood wrote:
    This is what happens when you invite 10-20 million illegals into your country. The culture of corruption follows.

It does not matter if all involved were legally here or not. The fact is the country has enough home grown human trash. We do not need to import more.
    1/26/2008 7:00 AM CST

scrounger wrote:
    Many things are the root of the problem. Some say that the mayor and city council by encouraging a santuary city. Some say money. Some say greed. Some say the demmand for "cheap labor"
    I say all of the above. One way that we can slow illegal immigration is to require employers that hire illegal immigrants are to be sponsers. By becoming sponsers like they use to when immigrants came here years ago from Europe and Asia, the employer then is now responsible. By being a sponser the employer of the illegal, the employer would pay for all services that the illegal needs. Such as health, education and social services for their employee and the employees family and or extended family that the employee brings over.
    By employer. I am talking of not only company or corprate, but also anyone who hire illegals for servants such as nannies or yardmen.
    This would remove the demmand for cheap labor because the hiring of illegals will no longer becomes cheap. Our health, education and social services will no longer becomes strained due to lack of money and huge infulx of poor people burdening the system.
    By removing the cheap labor, companies that want to can now compete fairly for jobs.
    1/26/2008 7:01 AM CST
    Recommend (15) Report abuse

houstontroy wrote:
    "Some say money. Some say greed. Some say the demmand for "cheap labor"

My friend, if nobody hired illegals, they would not come. It is OUR fault. EVERYBODY who lives in the United States is at fault. It is not the mayor's fault, it is not HPD's fault. It is OUR fault. It is time we accepted responsibility for creating the problem. The blame game will not work anymore. We love our cheap labor here in Houston. It keeps home prices down, it keeps remodeling prices down and it keeps all sorts of other prices down. Come on people, we made the mess, it is up to us to fix it. Accepting responsibility for our actions is the first step to recovery.
    1/26/2008 7:06 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

kittycat7 wrote:
    They are likely illegal. This paper, like other media sources, refers to "immgrants" and "immigration" problems and leaves out the work ILLEGAL. Here again we have our law endormcement putting themselves at risk because of crimes and scams associated with illegals. Has anyone besides me wondered what happened to the illegal woman 2 days before Christmas whose son was kidnapped by coytes she owed money. She paid to have her pregnant daughter brought in illegally but did not pay enough so they kidnapped her son. Amber alert issued law enforcement from Houston and Austin involved in the recovery of the boy. Story in the Chronicle on 12/26 or 12/27 shows the mother and son sitting on couch and story is about how they are afraid of retribution. So what happened? Is the city protecting her? Was she deported? Was she billed for the costs to law enforcement? As redheart wrote - a "deported" illegal raped a young girl at her school. In another state 2 weeks ago an illegal who had been deported 2-3 times was arrested and charged and 25 counts of sexual assualt against little girls. What about the policmena in Houston killed by the drunk illegal. How much more of this?
    1/26/2008 7:08 AM CST
    Recommend (34) Report abuse

WyoDutch wrote:
    When Bush and McCain were preaching as to how these "...good folks are coming here to do jobs that Americans won't do."... I didn't know what they meant. I do now.
    1/26/2008 7:13 AM CST
    Recommend (16) Report abuse

gatorbait wrote:
    It is very apparent who controls Houston....organized crime!!
    1/26/2008 7:17 AM CST
    Recommend (14) Report abuse

kittycat7 wrote:
    Sorry for typo errors - my internet so slow this morning that I typed and waited for words to appear, etc. The time has come that American citizens need to stand up and be heard on the Illegal issues and demand action. This time of voting needs to count. A fence, tougher rules on employers, etc. will NOT happen with Democratic candidates and not with some of the Republican candidates. Pick carefully. And for those who say the economy is an important issue - stop and think how much the economy is affected by all issues included that of the tremendous tax burden of supporting 12 million illegals and now all of the added expenses associated with the additional crimes they are bringing into our country.
    1/26/2008 7:28 AM CST
    Recommend (21) Report abuse

SENDemALLback wrote:
    mexicans we need to send them ,ALL back, they are corupt, retarded, lazy thieves who have no right to be in the USA. These mexicans have totally destroyed their country and are now trying to destroy ours. Read the newspapers, over half the violent crime in Houston are commmoted by these "people". The race wars are about to begin.
    Build the wall, send them back
    1/26/2008 7:46 AM CST
    Recommend (1) Report abuse

badgeren wrote:
    Another reason to stop immigration to this country. There are too many problems associated with these immigrants and I don't want to loose more money to them. Will the government pay me for this? I bet not.
    1/26/2008 7:47 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

tbird1960 wrote:
    The chronicle needs to use the correct term. ILLEGAL ALIENS not immigrants.
    1/26/2008 7:49 AM CST
    Recommend (34) Report abuse

poolside wrote:
    Love the headline ... "Scams ... find way to Houston"

As if there is something mysterious as to how they got here.
    1/26/2008 7:51 AM CST
    Recommend (20) Report abuse

censorshipisbad wrote:
    kittycat7, the aliens you ask about are still here, only they have semi-permanent residency as "victims" of human trafficking. Immigration Enforcement (formerly ICE) gives them a 2 year status so the case can S L O W L Y go through the legal system (most are not prosecuted). The "victims" get status and have their expenses paid (better deal then Katrina refugees!).

The 2 years can be extended or the "victim" can petition for permanent status.

If an alien is smart then when they are caught, they immediately claim "human trafficking victim" or "forced sex worker" status and they are given this "Golden Ticket!"

It is a better deal than claiming asylum!
    1/26/2008 7:53 AM CST

frank47 wrote:
    My!By the looks of her how many cervesas would you have to drink to even try to get some of that? Again thanks Mayor White and remember these illegal criminal aliens are just here to do what Americans won't.
    1/26/2008 7:54 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

asromafan wrote:
    Hey tbird1960 and kittycat7, there is nothing in this article to indicate that these individuals are illegal immigrants. So, do you know them personally and know their status for a fact? There is a difference between illegal alien and immigrant. My greatgrandfather illegal immigrated from Gelicia (Poland) as a stowaway, bypassing Ellis Island. One of my greatgreatgrandfathers legally immigrated from Hungry, properly going through Ellis Island. There's a difference.

1/26/2008 7:58 AM CST
    Recommend (3) Report abuse

eucalyptus wrote:
    Financial Motive of the Houston Chronicle: On one hand promote, defend and foster perpetuation of illegal immigration in your editorials and slanted news stories. On the other hand, make stories like this front page news to sell newspapers and on-line ads in English and Spanish. Illegal immigrants and the problems they bring are grist for the Chronicles news mill. More grist = more profits.
    1/26/2008 8:45 AM CST

gatorbait wrote:
    The Chronicle is just reporting on all of the issues involving everyone in the area. It appears that the paper is damed if they do and damed if they don't...but thanks to the Chronicle we all have learned about Tasers, the Poltical Scandals, and other VERY IMPORTANT relevations that mostly help us all..not harm us. I am not sucking up to this newspaper...they are just the messenger....it is up to the citizens to take the appropritate action needed to clean up the messes that the Chronicle presents. The Chronicle is the only game in town...and they are doing a pretty good juggling act to appease everybody.
    1/26/2008 8:54 AM CST

X14 wrote:
    asromafan wrote:
    Hey tbird1960 and kittycat7, there is nothing in this article to indicate that these individuals are illegal immigrants. So, do you know them personally"

...true...it doesn't say, but that is a bet that I would take. The duped boyfriend may be a citizen.
    1/26/2008 8:59 AM CST
    Recommend (10) Report abuse

LeroyJenkins wrote:
    "If it is happening, people need to not pay money, and to call the police," said Smith, who added that despite the extra time and money a fake kidnap case can require, police treat every incident as potentially real.
    ----------------------
    Wonder why they don't want to call the policia? Status maybe???

You illegal immigrant apologists need to think about what you promote. Your promotion of illegal immigration allows for predators to target these people without fear because their status means they won't seek protection. This kind of thing happens all the time. I have heard many stories about illegals being robbed, assaulted, forced into labor, etc and this exploitation is being fostered by the people who say they just want to help illegal immigrants. I have even heard of instances where an illegal's daughter was brutally raped, over and over, but the guy couldn't go to the police because he was scared to get deported.

When you promote illegal immigration, you are also responsible when they are exploited. Hope you sleep well at night.
    1/26/2008 9:01 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

X14 wrote:
    gatorbait wrote:
    The Chronicle is just reporting on all of the issues involving everyone in the area. It appears that the paper is damed if they do and damed if they don't...but thanks to the Chronicle we all have learned about Tasers, the Poltical Scandals, and other VERY IMPORTANT relevations that mostly help us all..not harm us. I am not sucking up to this newspaper...they are just the messenger....it is up to the citizens to take the appropritate action needed to clean up the messes that the Chronicle presents. The Chronicle is the only game in town...and they are doing a pretty good juggling act to appease everybody."

+1
    1/26/2008 9:01 AM CST
    Recommend (4) Report abuse

DamageControl wrote:
    Thanks to the Chronicle, we have learned about Tasers?... well, basically just remember not to fight with the cop, and you'll be okay. We are happy to note that the transformation of our fair state into Mexico continues unabated, as the article indicates. Happy, because we are well armed and enjoy a challenge, and we can't wait to see what some of the rest of you do.
    1/26/2008 9:05 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

rico03 wrote:
    Actually, Its "Ayudame..., Ayudame...., mi amor...", and it means HELP...,HELP...., MY LOVE" COREXION. I also agree with X14, start your own damn Newspaper if you feel so passionate and against what they publish online or in print

1/26/2008 9:07 AM CST
    Recommend (3) Report abuse

gatorbait wrote:
    ...is El Tepo still open on Franklin? Dancin' days are here again...for a dollar I'll make ya holler dances...Viva la El Tepo!!!
    1/26/2008 9:24 AM CST

Itzmefosure wrote:
    If Houston would stop giving safe haven to illegal immigrants this kind of crime would stop. Texas needs to take a look at AZ illegal immigrant laws and follow suit.
    1/26/2008 9:38 AM CST
    Recommend (19) Report abuse

luisced wrote:
    Nothing is going to hapen in regards to the illegal alien mess.
    1. The rich in Mexico like it because it gives their population an outlet valve so the troublemakers come up north instead of trying to fix their country. BONUS: Cash flows back down for the poor to spend on the products the rich sell.
    2. The rich in the USA like it because they have a source of cheap, disposable labor.
    1/26/2008 9:39 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

alphacyclist wrote:
    Did I miss something? Where in this article does it say they are illegal immigrants. If he is an illegal immigrant and owns a business, I would rather have him here than legal immigrants from Louisana.
    1/26/2008 9:52 AM CST
    Recommend (4) Report abuse

Boy4riend wrote:
    I love how this paper deletes any and every comment I make. Guess the TRESPASSERS run the chronic.
    Scams like this need to be pulled on our "valued" politicians and see what happens.
    1/26/2008 9:56 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

Trucker wrote:
    This is absolutely idiotic! How much longer is this country going to tolerate stuff like this? If we could ever get a politician worth a dime, or a President that was capable of remembering that we do have a southern border, or we ever passed laws punishing businesses for hiring illegals, or built that damned fence, or enforced the laws that have been on our books forever, OR ANYTHING ELSE, for that matter, we might just make a start in correcting this gigantic breach in our security.

Sorry, when I get pissed I have a tendency to write long sentences.....
    1/26/2008 9:56 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

FHillary wrote:
    Throughout its history, America has attracted upstanding immigrants, like my family and me, who were willing to come here, play by the rules, work hard and make this a better country. Those days are over. What we have now are dirt poor Mexicans sneaking into our country with zero good intentions. They have no desire to learn the language, work hard or earn an honest living. Instead, they come her to perpetrate their pathetic little scams like this worthless piece of f_cking dog sh_t.
    1/26/2008 9:58 AM CST

rich5371 wrote:
    ComeMiCamote wrote: "I hope you people mind your own business. You have way more problems here than in Mexico"

Uh...right. Uh huh...that's why the Mexicans want to come here, so they can fix all are problems. You know what scares me? You'll probably vote in the next election...
    1/26/2008 10:34 AM CST
    Recommend (19) Report abuse

rich5371 wrote:
    oops...meant our problems not are...
    1/26/2008 10:35 AM CST

comments firstNewest comments first
    Report item as: (required) X Obscenity/vulgarity Hate speech Personal attack Advertising/Spam Copyright/Plagiarism Other Comment: (optional)
    PoliticalNeanderthal wrote:
    ComeMiCamote wrote:

I hope you people mind your own business. You have way more problems here than in Mexico

If it's so bad here in the good old US of A why are so many Mexicans risking their life to get here? Could it be they simply got tired of getting felt up on the bus?
    1/26/2008 10:38 AM CST
    Recommend ( Report abuse

X14 wrote:
    "Kidnapping scams, common in Mexico"

Kidnapping is a serious business in all under-developed, low per capita share of GNP nations, south of the Rio.

(Unfortunately, I think that may describe every single one all the way to Antartica, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Kidnapping and the fear of it, on a broad scale is a signatre of the third world. Always has been.

1/26/2008 10:50 AM CST
    Recommend (9) Report abuse

fredflow wrote:
    The answer.....get involved and turn the tide back to south of the border.
    Its free and it works.......numbersusa.com
    1/26/2008 10:53 AM CST
    Recommend (10) Report abuse

rodeoready wrote:
    comemicamote - if this place sucks so bad, why are you here, you know which way the border runs, so run for it and don't look back. Really amuses me the way mexicans talk about the wonderful place they call Mexico, yet they run from it by the millions, just does not compute. We would have a lot less problems if the illegal mexicans would just get their butts back across the border where they belong and take their noise, filth, anchor kids, language, rusty falling apart cars and attitude with them. Not to mention their flea markets and roach coaches, for god's sake do not forget to haul those along with you. I have a truck, would be willing to volunteer a couple of weekends a month for a free ride home.
    1/26/2008 11:01 AM CST

Bexar1 wrote:
    If we want to end this problem, the first order of business is to DEPORT the illegal aliens from Harris county and the rest of Texas. Anything short of that and people are just kidding themselves, as far as law enforcement goes in our state.

1/26/2008 11:09 AM CST
    Recommend (14) Report abuse

operacha wrote:
    Enough already. Deport everyone - the woman, the guy she was with, the "victim" and the immigrants from Lousiana.
    1/26/2008 11:15 AM CST
    Recommend (7) Report abuse

Noonz wrote:
    Beeeeeeeaners....gonna kick ya in the face...

Beaaaannnnners....gonna....eat...beans.....

Beeeeeeeannnners
    1/26/2008 11:21 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

Noonz wrote:
    I find the irony of getting shot for sneaking into Mexico's southern border, but outrage by the Mexican gov't for not allowing illegals to flow in by the millions.. What a peanut-riddled, steaming brown pile of hypocrisy
    1/26/2008 11:22 AM CST

TEXAN396 wrote:
    Welcome to the Sanctuary city of the Southwest.Capital city of the new 3rd world!
    1/26/2008 11:23 AM CST
    Recommend Report abuse

Bexar1 wrote:
    These illegals have already overtaken Los Angeles. Gangs of Illegal aliens have even gone to war with Black gangs in Watts.
    The Catholic church is supporting illegals in L.A. The Cardinal there, Roger Mahoney has declared that his diocese is a Sanctuary for illegal aliens and that they have a god given right to be in the US.

I strongly disagree with him and his church.
    1/26/2008 11:24 AM CST
    Recommend (17) Report abuse

billthomas wrote:

2200 Wirt? That's right down the street from Barri.

------------------------------------

Se realiza el sueño de poder ayudar a la comunidad Mexicana radicada en los Estados Unidos de Norteamerica a enviar el dinero que con toda, honradez , esfuerzo y dedicación ganan para ayudar a miles de familias alrededor de la República Mexicana.

Es por esto, que nace la empresa Barri Remittance Corp. , constituida en los Estados Unidos bajo las leyes del Estado de Texas, asÃ* mismo, desde sus inicios y hasta la actualidad contamos con la Licencia para operar otorgada por el Departamento de Banco de Texas.

Orgullosamente Barri Giros a México, es una empresa de mexicanos con más de 20 años atendiendo y ayudando a nuestra gente .

Desde su inicio, Barri Remittance Corp. ha trazado como objetivo, atender el mercado de Houston, TX y sus alrededores, ofreciendo el más eficaz y seguro servicio de transferencia de giros a México.

1/26/2008 11:28 AM CST

kittycat7 wrote:
    Looks like a few people are trying to stir up trouble and/or make this into a joke. But illegal immigration is a very serious problem. As for the illegal woman and her son - I knew that she would probably file the claim to get protection but that should not keep ICE from filing on her to make sure she starts making payments for what she has cost taxpayers. It is enough that law enforcement puts their lives on the line for American citizens but it is going too far when they have to put their lives at risk for criminals who have invaded our country. She may get protection for 2 years but then they better pack her up and deport her. They know every trick. Someone has told me they actually hold "classes" in Spanish to indoctrinate new illegals into how to file for food stamps and other benefits. They have it down pat and we have let it happen for years. Finally the sight of their parades, waving their Mexico flag, and carrying signs "demanding their rights" have made an impact on taxpayers. Don't limit yourself to writing a post in these columns - go to www.congress.org and email congress - in both political parties and Pelosi also. They need to be constantly reminded. Remember, this congress (a lot of Democrats) wouldn't even vote to recognize English as our official language. People - stand up and be heard from or in 10 years it will be too late.
    1/26/2008 11:33 AM CST
    Recommend (7) Report abuse

kittycat7 wrote:
    chitexs - pay attention - no one said illegals are the only ones who commit crimes. Why on earth would you think that? Common sense applies here - we know we have home grown crime - and naturally we don't like that either. But it is an added issue to have illegals invade our country and then commit more crimes on top of their criminal entry.
    Can't say it any plainer so quit insulting other posters and calling them hayseeds when you appear to be the one who can't grasp the simple truth.
    1/26/2008 11:38 AM CST
    Recommend (16) Report abuse

McBennie wrote:
    This is the Mexican culture being brought into the US by lawbreaking illegal immigrants. And the Catholic Church condones this lawbreaking. The Catholic Church acts like it has never heard of God's commandment "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's goods".
    The Church should send these illegals back to Mexico and tell them to get in line to immigrate legally and not covet their neighbor's goods so lustfully as to break the law trying to get them. If the church was truly concerned, it would be a force in Mexico providing funds and support to help these Mexicans in their own country and to make Mexico a true Christian place to live and raise families. The Catholic Church is one of the richest "Corporation" in the world. It should use those tax exempt riches to help the peopl in Mexico instead of hording it.

For More of the Comments go to the site.. Way too many to list

http://www.chron.com/disp/commnts.mpl/f ... rentPage=0
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

For a short article it sure got a lot of response.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)