Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

More promotion of the RFID implant chips for Americans

Couple's implant chips take love to a new level
    Updated Wed. Feb. 15 2006 12:23 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Grand gestures of love take many forms on Valentine's Day -- flowers, chocolate, romantic dinners -- but a tech-savvy couple has taken it to a new level.

Jennifer Tomblin and Amal Graafstra have made the most modern declaration of their affection for each other, with implanted electronic chips that allow them unfettered access to each other's lives.

It's called Radio Frequency Identification, or RFID. Both have had a small electronic chip embedded under their skin that grants access to each other's front doors and home computers.

The system works like a key-card. A simple swipe of the wrist across an electronic sensor, and they're in.

The couple sees the decision as a modern declaration of love that also happens to be functional.

"It's convenient and all of that. But it's definitely neat to have access to each other's things. nobody else has that, definitely," Tomblin told CTV's Canada AM.

Tomblin, 23, lives in Vancouver, while Graafstra, 29, lives in Washington.

Graafstra got interested in RFID several years ago, and began researching the possibilities. He works in remote server management, so it was a natural step to order his first chip, have it implanted by a cosmetic surgeon, then begin writing software to go along with it.

"I got interested in RFID, essentially, as a way to replace my keys," Graafstra said.

He had a second chip put in later, and after witnessing his successful experiment, Tomblin followed suit and got her own chip about six weeks ago.

"He was writing a book and he was building all these really neat projects, and he'd get into his house and car and computer with it, and I decided if I could do something like that too.

it would be really neat," Tomblin said.

The chip itself is just two millimeters by 12 millimetres, and can be inserted under the skin with an injection needle.

Graafstra's interest has continued to grow, and he has now written several pieces of software to go along with the chip. That interest has developed into a book project called RFID Toys, which comes out later this month.

The book will include the RFID programs he has written, and will reveal his self-implanting method.

Graafstra's work has made him somewhat of a pioneer in the field. Though another researcher working on a different project had a chip put in his forearm, Graafsta was the first to implant a chip in his hand, and the first to plan to teach others how to follow suit.

The chip is embedded in a tiny glass tube, and once implanted it is invisible.

The chips are surprisingly inexpensive, not much more than a few U.S. dollars, and can easily be ordered online. The hardware ranges from $30 up, and software is still difficult to come by -- Graafstra wrote all his own programs.

Graafstra obtained his first RFID tag from www.phidgetusa.com. The site has a variety of inexpensive options for various uses, but the glass tube-style tags on the site come with a warning against doing what Graafstra and Tomblin did.

"We do not advise or encourage users to implant the RFID tags we sell into humans or animals in any way," reads the warning. "These tags are not sold as medical products and are NOT sanitized for medical use. Phidgets USA and Trossen Inc … strongly advise against any such use of the tags we sell."

However, the trend is likely to gain momentum as Canadians seek new ways to implement technology into their daily lives, and just maybe, to demonstrate their love for each other.

Like a tattoo, Tomblin said, it's a unique way of connecting with her significant other.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Oh my GAWD! So now Big Brother wants to push this stuff as a CONVENIENCE? When they come to put one in me, they'll have a WHOPPER of a fight on their hands, I PROMISE you that! Radio track a corpse, you sorry #$%^%##@$^&**GLOBALIST PIG!!!

http://www.phidgetsusa.com/cat/viewprod ... &SKU=93001

Product: RFID Kit
    Product ID: 93001
    Price: $76.95 US
    Quantity

Back Ordered: Out of Stock

Description: Phidget USB RFID Kit

Out of Stock
    Estimated availability March 1, 2006

This kit comes with:

1 Phidget RFID Reader
    (Tags might change depending on availability. But will be similar in type.)
    1 Blue Aquatic Key Chain
    1 Credit Card Thin Card
    1 Clamshell (thick) Card
    1 Small Glass Ampoule
    1 12mm Black Pill Tag
    1 16mm Black Pill Tag
    1 30mm Global Disc Tag
    1 35mm White Disc with Hole
    1 50mm Button with Sticker Backing
    1 20mm Button with Sticker Backing
    1 Inventory Label – Square Version
    1 CD-ROM Tag
    1 30mm Clear Thin Lamination Disc
    1 20mm Clear Thin Lamination Disc
    1 30mm Clear Thin Lamination Disc with Sticker Backing
    1 25mm White Disc

"Out of Stock" Wow, they must be selling like hot cakes. What's up with the Black Pill thing? I thought they were either red or blue pills.

What a sad state of affairs in America. Land of the free and land of the humans tagged like wildlife and dogs.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

($&*$^%*^()$&*%&%

I'm with you pinestrawguys!

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

My bias will be obvious:

I expect the bleating sheep brain-dead idiot consumer class of this once great nation to line up by the millions to be implanted WHEN that implant allows them to toss their beloved cell phones; allowing them to use the chip to be in continuous communication with others.

Any science fiction readers here? Consider the many story-types wherein humans are implanted, allowing their minds to be connected to the "greater mass intelligence."

The hordes of idiotic buffoons stumbling through life, not reading, concerned only with a barrage of continual entertainment, will beg for implantation.

Non-thinkers, devoid of any depth. Shallow, idiotic, exactly the type of people the elites desire since they are so easily ruled, led like a pig with a ring in its snout and a chain attached.

Oinking with delight as they communicate with other pids, concerned only with consuming more and their seldom-used brains slurp up more more more entertainment while yacking non-stop through their implant.

No need to force the masses to bow down to their masters to accept an implant, the majority would do it voluntarily if they could communicate with the other drones.

The minority non-accepting are easily shunted aside. They are powerless commoners.

Is it not obvious our society is steadily creeping along to a new world with a minority of elite leaders and a HUGE underclass with no power other than that allotted to perform their tasks that allow the elites to live their wondrous lives of ease?

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by obbop
    My bias will be obvious:
    Any science fiction readers here? Consider the many story-types wherein humans are implanted, allowing their minds to be connected to the "greater mass intelligence."

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well... at least when they get the chips it will explain the voices in their heads!

Perhaps the chips can be set to receive news updates like the break between Tom Cruise and Holmes?

Will their be RFID spam?

I thought people were ashamed of the tattoos Nazis put on people? Are these chips better because they are invisible beneath the skin?

W