Britain's most multi-cultural high street: The city centre parade that has shopkeepers from TWENTY-THREE different countries

Suburban shopping street in Leicester has owners from around the world

Shopkeepers from 23 countries and four continents run businesses

They say they are happy with the street's diversity and there is little tension

Researchers says the street is 'not a utopia and is not without its problems'
A high street dubbed the most multi-national road in Britain has been revealed to have shopkeepers from 23 different countries.

Business owners on Narborough Road in Leicester hail from four continents including countries such as Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia as well as Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan.

There are also shopkeepers from eastern European countries, a fish and chip shop boss from Hong King and a book shop run by a Canadian couple.

Researchers have now officially named it the most diverse street in the UK after discovering the owners of its 222 shop units come from 23 different countries.

Tajinder Reehal, 55, who was born in Nairobi, Kenya and runs Scorpion smoking shop, added: 'I've seen the street change in the past 16 years. 'It's come alive. More bars, more restaurants. It's much more vibrant.

'I've seen the different nationalities come and go, too. Lots of Polish and eastern Europeans now, but before that, it seemed to be mainly Turkish and Spanish.

I like it. It gives the area its identity. It feels cosmopolitan. You don't have to go into Leicester if you live here. It's all on your doorstep.'

Researchers found shopkeepers on the street also trade skills with each other.

The Canadian couple who run a book shop get a free haircut or free meal at a restaurant because they help other owners fill in forms.

Lloyd Wright, who is half English and half Polish and runs music shop Intasound, added: 'I'm not surprised this is the most diverse street in Britain.

'There are people here from all over the world, but there's no tension. It's a very relaxed atmosphere.

'I'm proud to tell people this is where I'm from. I live here, I work here.. My life, past, present, future, is here. I'm not moving.'

Researchers believe the close proximity of Leicester's two universities helps to sustain the street and its many bars and restaurants.

Dr Hall, who said the area has survived without help from the Government or local council, added: 'Places like Narborough Road have struggled but they have survived.

'Narborough Road is a story of success, of people enduring through difficult times. But it is not a utopia. It is not without its problems.

'There has been no big Government or local authority investment; no widespread, robust regeneration. No big private firm that has swept in and transformed the place.

Aquarian Hairdressing owner Dipak Maru, 49, said: 'I was born in Nairobi in Kenya and came to England when I was 8 in 1975. I think the diversity is a good thing and had helped build up more business.

'It used to be trade only so there was no public but since the restaurants and other businesses have come it's developed.

'It was quite derelict but in the last ten years it's become lively and vibrant.'

Read more: Narborough Road in Leicester with shopkeepers from 23 different countries