Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OCEANSIDE POLICE OFFICER SHOT DEAD : 20 DECEMBER 2006

Oceanside police officer shot dead in traffic stop

By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer
    NORTH COUNTY TIMES
    DECEMBER 21, 2006

OCEANSIDE -- A young police officer was shot and killed during a routine traffic stop in an eastern Oceanside neighborhood Wednesday night, city officials said.

The officer was flown by helicopter to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, where he died, said Oceanside police Capt. David Heering. The officer's identity was not released.

Two people who were in the car that was stopped were detained, he said, and police mounted an extensive search with SWAT teams and dogs after reports of two other people having been seen fleeing after the shooting. It was unclear whether the shots came from inside or outside the car.

"We don't know who the assailant was," Heering said. "We're searching the area for a suspect or suspects."

Mayor Jim Wood, a retired police detective, said he went to the scene to provide moral support.

"My prayers and thoughts go out to the family," Wood said. "The officer had a young wife and a 2- or 3-month-old child."

Acting City Manager Barry Martin said the police chief was meeting with the officer's family late in the evening.

"It's a very sad day for Oceanside," Martin said.

The incident began when a female officer made the traffic stop at Gold Drive and Arthur Avenue, near Vandegrift Boulevard, about 6:20 p.m., Heering said. The area is near a back entrance to Camp Pendleton. Soon after the stop, Heering said, the officer called for backup and a male officer arrived.

Ten or 15 minutes after the initial call, the female officer called on the radio to say that shots had been fired and to request additional help.

Dozens of law enforcement officers and firefighters immediately responded from across North County and remained late into the night. One observer described the neighborhood as "a sea of lights and police cars."

Heering could not say whether the gunshots came from the stopped car or somewhere else. There were unconfirmed rumors among neighborhood residents that the shots were fired by a sniper.

Oceanside Councilman Rocky Chavez, who lives a few blocks from the area, said he was alerted to the situation by helicopters overhead.

"It's a tragedy for Oceanside, and everybody knows what a great job police officers do for us," Chavez said. "During this Christmas season, I'm sure everyone's prayers will go out to the family."

The councilman said the shooting is "going to hit the city really hard," Chavez said. "The whole city is still getting over the Zeppetella incident, and this one is soon."

The last Oceanside police officer harmed by a gunman was Officer Tony Zeppetella, who was 27 when he was fatally shot on June 13, 2003, during what began as a routine traffic stop.

Adrian George Camacho, 31, a five-time convicted felon and twice-deported illegal immigrant from Mexico, was convicted of first-degree murder in Zeppetella's death and now sits on California's death row.

Zeppetella was hit 13 times; three of the bullets -- including the two that the county medical examiner's office deemed as the fatal shots -- sliced through Zeppetella's bullet-resistant vest.

An Escondido police watch commander, Lt. Mark Wrisley, said his department had sent one sergeant and seven officers to help out at the scene Wednesday night. Observers said police, California Highway Patrol officers and Sheriff's Department deputies from Carlsbad, Vista, San Marcos and other cities were among the dozens of officers at the scene.

A SWAT team was seen going from door to door, and the search continued late into the night, centering on two homes in the 600 block of Arthur Avenue.

"There is a two-block area they are searching right now," Heering said. "As I get more information, I will release it."

Asked whether the officer was wearing a protective vest, Heering said only that it is standard policy for all Oceanside officers to wear the vests.

-- Staff writers David Sterrett, Patrick Wright, Phil Diehl and Teri Figueroa contributed to this report. Contact staff writer Jo Moreland at (760) 740-3524 or jmoreland@nctimes.com.

-------------------------------------------

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Roberto wrote on December 20, 2006 8:46 PM:"Lets hope a Mexican-American, Mexican or an illegal Mexican wasn't involved. Can you imagine how many of the xenophobes are chomping at the bit right now?"

Exactly why wrote on December 20, 2006 8:56 PM:"I moved away from that area, gun shots nightly is not uncommon, fear of stray bullets is not uncommon! "

OPD Ret. wrote on December 20, 2006 9:13 PM:"Another brave soldier who worked within that thin blue line, which separates the good people of Oceanside from that violent criminal element, has paid the ultimate sacrifice for our personal safety. God Bless you Officer. Sit and relax in Fiddler’s Green, have a cold one with Tony, and talk of your glory."

Greg in Oceanside wrote on December 20, 2006 9:16 PM:"This whole thing stinks of gang activity. We live in the northeastern part of town and have to pass through that same area to get to our home, but we were unable to because of the police activity and had to take a detour. That intersection near Vandgrift and North River Road is full of ILLEGAL ALIENS, and has been a hotbed of crime and gang activity throughout the last couple of decades. We were somewhat hesitant to purchase our new home back in 2002 because of that area and its reputation. It wasn't always that way, and it was fairly nice back in the mid-late 70's but it has become a part of town that isn't so nice anymore. This garbage angers me, as it probably did the many others who were inconvenienced as I was. I support OPD and hope they crack down on what is going on in this part of town so we can feel safe and don't have to put up with this sort of stuff anymore."

I concur with Greg wrote on December 20, 2006 9:31 PM:" Something has to be done about the area...Oceanside please get a grip on the situation, I'm tired of the gangs, and low lifes that inhabit the area...My heart goes out to the officers involved...this is so sad!!"

Me wrote on December 20, 2006 9:33 PM:"Lets not forget, that isnt the only bad part of oceanside, there are a couple others that are just as bad. RIP to the officer"

frustrated wrote on December 20, 2006 9:35 PM:"Keep this young man's family in your prayers as they just recently had there first child. This is the type of thing that really cuts deep. "

1whoknowz wrote on December 20, 2006 9:45 PM:"i cant believe some of these comments....an officer - a man - a husband - a father - a son - a brother -loses his life..GIVES his life so that u "citizens" can live a safer life, enjoy the beach and the holiday season....and yet, ur coments are about how much of an INCONVEINENCE his MURDER was to u????? how sad is that...u will all live to have a happy holiday season becuz of his bravery and devotion to this city...shame on u all."

Fireman wrote on December 20, 2006 9:46 PM:"The officers of all North County departments face this potential each and every day they put on the uniform, only to get hammered in the press for their "extravagant salaries." All cops deserve our respect and every thing we can give them to make their jobs safer. They are the bravest of the brave. It's because of police that me and my family sleep at night. Too bad the city doesn't appreciate the many sacrafices they make. Our prayers are with his family and feloow officers. "

Fireman wrote on December 20, 2006 9:47 PM:"The officers of all North County departments face this potential each and every day they put on the uniform, only to get hammered in the press for their "extravagant salaries." All cops deserve our respect and every thing we can give them to make their jobs safer. They are the bravest of the brave. It's because of police that me and my family sleep at night. Too bad the city doesn't appreciate the many sacrafices they make. Our prayers are with his family and felow officers. "

K segura wrote on December 20, 2006 9:48 PM:"That's a very scary thing to know when I have 2 children and moving right around the corner next month! God bless the police oficer and the family! "

92yz250 wrote on December 20, 2006 9:50 PM:"What a shame... days before Christmas and another protector of the good citizens is killed. My prayers to his family for their loss at what *should be* a joyuos time for all. I like Greg had to detour to get home... but unlike Greg, my wife and I did buy a home in this area in 99. My particular nieghborhood was decent and I knew my neighbors. But that's all changed, many sold their homes and now I have direct nieghbors whom I know not at all because I'm not bilingual. I witness a lot of crime in this area and am afraid to report it out of fear that my wife and my safety could come into jeopardy. I believe that my current next door nieghbors are into meth and other things. Of much of the problems I see close to my home, I won't say that they are Illegal Aliens because I have no proof.... but they sure would be high on my suspicions list. Most weekends, my nieghborhood resembles a third world country. If all law enforcement (Fed, State & Local) were to start enforcing immigration laws... we'd definitely see a drop in crime. I support OPD and hope that they find this killer. This is two too many times since I've lived here that a good man puts his life on the line to protect us only to lose his life for a paycheck. I personally would be willing to pay a little more in local taxes if I knew it was going to boost each and every OPD Officer's paycheck... I don't believe I could do what they dofor so little pay considering the possible trade off. Again, my heart goes out to the family of the fallen Officer.... my prayers are with them."

Greg in Oceanside wrote on December 20, 2006 9:57 PM:"I am so furious right now I can’t even think straight. When I wrote my initial post to the NCT, I had no idea what exactly took place and that one of our community’s heroes died in the line of duty. As a member of the Armed Forces who has spent two tours in the Middle East, I know what it’s like to lose a comrade. My heart goes out to the officer, his family and all the other officers at OPD. The time for action is NOW, and I hope this serves as a wake-up call to ALL CITIZENS in Oceanside to start the process for change. We need to help OPD clean our city’s streets and get tough on ILLEGAL ALIENS, gangs, and crime that has plagued our city and is a cancer that eats at our soul. I hope that the “zero” who committed this heinous crime is caught and subsequently prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

the 47th baller wrote on December 20, 2006 9:58 PM:"stop hating on mexicans thats the ghetto"

Ben wrote on December 20, 2006 9:59 PM:"Fireman could not have said it better. Prayers out to his family and all of the Oceanside P.D. You are always in our thoughts !!!"

Mike wrote on December 20, 2006 10:10 PM:"Just watching the news and knowing I was right there yesterday screwing around with my friends, making jokes, talking about christmas shopping, and just being teens. Its such a shock. I heard it was an "ambush" so the news said. All this violence makes me want to give up my dreams and join OPD or if not another department. Godbless the fallen officer. My dad is a CPD detective and Hes furious at this. As am I. God Bless"

Prayers wrote on December 20, 2006 10:10 PM:"My deepest sympathy to the officer, his family, team and the community. Unfortunately this is the same exact area as the Seau shooting a couple years ago. Gang territory (not illegal immigrants.) Prayers. "

New Dad wrote on December 20, 2006 10:12 PM:"In a few months our first child will be born. My wife and I are praying for the family and are truly aching in our hearts for this sudden change in your life. We are both very thankful for all those who give up their lives so that others might live. The Christmas songs about the birth of the Savior make a lot more sense in light of dark tragedies such as these. May both the killers and the victims pause and learn the true meaning of Christmas. "

Kalen wrote on December 20, 2006 10:14 PM:"I'm just glad I live about three miles east on base. I know there ain't no damn gangs or people who don't belong in our country. I'm not a racist, but if you want to come to the US just do it the right way, and learn english. Prayers out to his family and co-workers, I know how it is to lose one of your own. "

WOW!!! wrote on December 20, 2006 10:15 PM:"One officer got killed in oceanside. Well 28 cops were assasinated in Tiajuana LAST MONTH. And you're surprised!!!! It's not the illegals people IT"S THE DRUG TRADE!!! Oceanside is the largest jumping off point for drug shipments before they hit L.A. It was only a matter of time when the situation just across the border slipped across into our streets... yet this will probably enact more laws against Law Abiding citizens to buy a handgun and defend themselves... who are we going to rely on the police...? Seems they can't even defend themselves let alone us!!!"

NO NAME wrote on December 20, 2006 10:19 PM:"I NEVER DREAMED IT WOULD BE ME MY NAME FOR ALL ETERNITY RECORDED HERE AT THIS HALLOWED PLACE ALAS, MY NAME, NO MORE MY FACE " IN THE LINE OF DUTY" I HEAR THEM SAY MY FAMILY NOW THE PRICE WILL PAY MY FOLDED FLAG STAINED WITH THEIR TEARS WE ONLY HAD THOSE FEW SHORT YEARS THE BADGE NO LONGER ON MY CHEST I SLEEP NOW IN ETERNAL REST MY SWORD I PASS TO THOSE BEHIND AND PRAY THEY KEEP THIS THOUGHT IN MIND I NEVER DREAMED IT WOULD BE ME AND WITH HEAVY HEART AND BENDED KNEE I ASK FOR ALL HERE FROM THE PAST DEAR GOD, LET MY NAME BE THE LAST!! To all our Law Enforcement...stay safe. "

Surprised?!?!?! wrote on December 20, 2006 10:22 PM:"One officer got killed in oceanside. Well 28 COPS were ASSAINATED in Tiajuana LAST MONTH one even hunted down at his home the day after surviving the attack!. And you're surprised!!!! It's not the illegals people IT"S THE DRUG TRADE!!! Oceanside is the largest jumping off point for drug shipments before they hit L.A. It was only a matter of time when the situation just across the border slipped across into our streets... yet this will probably enact more laws against LAW ABIDING citizens to buy a handgun and defend themselves... who are we going to rely on the police...? Seems they can't even defend themselves let alone us!!!"

Maybe.. wrote on December 20, 2006 10:26 PM:"Maybe Jaime Zeppetella can give the officers family money this time... the recent report is that the bullet missed the vest completely. One more road dedicated due to a lost gunfight...A hard look at calling in the Sheriff is WAY overdue! For the safety of all in Oceanside!!!"

In that area wrote on December 20, 2006 10:32 PM:"The murderer could be white, "hispanic" samoan or black despite who "it" is I hope they are caught. My prayers go out to the officers family, OPD and all those who live in the area. "

So young. wrote on December 20, 2006 10:32 PM:"23 ... and patroling alone... 23 years old...aren't their any experienced older men maybe some combat VETS! there might be a few in this area who can do this job. Raising the age limit might be a good idea."

Hey greg... wrote on December 20, 2006 10:34 PM:"You work for the NC Times or something...I've written two posts and haven't gotten on and you've gotten to post here TWICE... this comment section for white people only?!?!"

why now wrote on December 20, 2006 10:39 PM:"why do bad things happen near the holidays officers getting shot why cant we lov our officers and be proud f them for protecting us best wishes to opd and the officers family i hope they find this cruel killer and have him put on death row Happy Holidays"

Sad wrote on December 20, 2006 10:39 PM:"It is always sad when there is loss of life. Unfortunately for the work police are involved in, what goes around, comes around. "

Friend wrote on December 20, 2006 10:44 PM:"This young man grew up with my kids. He was a fantastic person who loved his community and loved his job. There is no greater love than to lay down your life for those you love. He left behind a wonderful family. Wife, child, parents and brother. God be with them all!"

opdsupporter wrote on December 20, 2006 10:47 PM:"Thoughts and prayers with him and his family. Police officers have a dangerous job, but they shouldn't be expected to be murdered by evil dooers. And I'm not sure who the poster thinks we are sending to war, but it ain't people in their 30's. There are war vets coming back from Iraq younger than 23... "

future oceanside officer wrote on December 20, 2006 10:48 PM:"what was his name? im hoping its not the guys i know...???????"

emily wrote on December 20, 2006 10:50 PM:"God Bless the friends and family of the lost Oceanside Police Officer. Thank you for defending the rights of the people of Oceanside and for doing your bes to keep our streets safe! You are a man filled with great valor and many people do not understand what you went through. Watch over us and know that you are in my prayers."

Not a good night to be a minority.. wrote on December 20, 2006 10:50 PM:"Bunch of white guys with badges and guns running around tonight...lock the doors and hit the floors...10 bucks says they find the suspects died of lead poisoning later this morning. "

Prediction wrote on December 20, 2006 10:52 PM:"One Name...Seau. Mark my words."

oside wrote on December 20, 2006 10:54 PM:"how about a story with a name in it "

to: opdsupporter aka "opdwannabee" wrote on December 20, 2006 10:55 PM:"He's obviously someone who wasn't infantry because at his age of 23 he'd probably still be serving overseas if he'd have served...ok then forget age... over 18 and COMBAT VETS! Regardless of age. Not just someone who served in the military... we need warriors not cosmetic counter girls or rear eschelon pencil pushers with no C.A.R or C.I.B's in their duty jackets to be cops."

Mike wrote on December 20, 2006 10:58 PM:"Wow/Suprised. Your pathetic to think that the police have to defend you, that were doomed because they can't even "defend themselves". They fight to protect us yes, but as a US Citizen you can't always rely on the cops or someone else to protect you. Its called self reliance. You can stop cowering that everything is going to be stripped away from you in a blink of and eye by some crime organization,, a pyscho, or a gang.You have to stand up and fight in anyway you can. We as American Citizens need to start Vigalanti groups or community watches. We need petitions signed and approved for selected members in a community to help keep order and protect the community/area. Voulenteer work. You can't blame our men in women in ANY UNIFORM for this or any other thing that takes place if your not willing to lift a damned finger to do anything about it! Also Godbless the fallen officers in TJ"

Friend wrote on December 20, 2006 11:01 PM:"This isn't about race. It's about a young man doing his job and paying the ultimate price! Race was the last thing he thougt about, trust me. Until you put that uniform on and walk out of your house with the possibility of never coming back, please keep your race based comments to yourself."

Dude mike... wrote on December 20, 2006 11:02 PM:"I'm with ya man but you know the liberals are going to use this to rip away our rights to bear arms."

Deputy Sheriff wrote on December 20, 2006 11:11 PM:"Not a good night to be a minority??? How enlightening. I'll take you up on that bet. Pay me at Sheriff's Aviation at Gillespie Field Airport in El Cajon this Sunday after 3PM. I'll also be holding my breath to hear your apology to this officer's family and co-workers."

name?????? wrote on December 20, 2006 11:17 PM:"what was the officers name.............................................. ....................."

SGT / USMC wrote on December 20, 2006 11:23 PM:"So young. wrote on December 20, 2006 10:32 PM:"23 ... and patroling alone... 23 years old...aren't their any experienced older men maybe some combat VETS! there might be a few in this area who can do this job. Raising the age limit might be a good idea." there are lots of departments that employ 23 year old combat vets. most regular people go into the service at 18 and get out when they are barely 23. throw in 3 delpoyments to iraq / afganistan and they have PLENTY of combat experience to where they can walk a beat. even if he had another officeer on his beat odds are he would still have been shot since HE was the one responding to the call for back up. ITS TIME TO STOP BLAMING THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS, THE AGE OF THE OFFICERS, AND THEIR EXPERIENCE AND START BLAMING THE DRUG DEALERS, THEIVES, AND OTHER ASSORTED CRIMINALS. THEY ARE THE REASON WHY THIS HAPPENS."

Let'sbe respectful wrote on December 20, 2006 11:24 PM:"A good young man, a brother, a husband and a father is dead. Let us pray and reflect on the wonderful work our police officers and firemen do. Let us not use this time to make political statements or to divide our community. Let us follow the example of our Mayor who was there to support, to help and to care. "

Brown wrote on December 20, 2006 11:30 PM:"First of all, my deepest condolences go out to the officers family. A death in our community is an ocurrence that needs mourning as well as reflection on society's role in all this. The drug trade has a lot to do with deaths on both sides of the fence that's true. Both the "good guys" and the "bad guys" pay the ultimate price for this sometimes. It is not as black and white as most people would like to think though. For all you ex-military people just think back to the 1980's and the Iran-Contra affair. This game is a lot deeper than CNN lets you in on. When it's one of our own, the death hits the communities hard. Meanwhile there are 100's of our countrymen dying oversees and 1000's of policemen and Iraki civilians getting assassinated. All for somebodies pocketbook...Oh I'm sorry I mean DEMOCRACY! Yeah and santaclaus really exists!! Wake up America, we all have blood on our hands!!! -MW"

Lee wrote on December 20, 2006 11:33 PM:"OUTSTANDING! An officer has his life taken and an immediate solution to lower crime is to "get tough on ILLEGAL ALIENS[...]." Gangs were also added to that quote; however, since "gangs" wasn't in all capital letters, my guess, from what I'm reading, is that gangs should be less stressed and the almighty gavel of justice should first strike the head of those who sould not be here in the first place. I agree that the entire community needs to help our police officers lower crime, but can we not be more creative than to use illegal immigration as a scapegoat? A better educated community also helps lower crime, so how about more schools? How about the community learn Spanish, so we can have an open communication with majority of non-English speakers... oh, but this is America and you MUST ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH!!! There is no possible way for the citizens to learn THAT language, because we don't want to lower ourselves.. right. There are other ways to lower crime and we, as a community, MUST explore them. "

Gary wrote on December 20, 2006 11:34 PM:"You all should of voted for CC Sanders. "

give me a break... wrote on December 20, 2006 11:46 PM:"you people that are using this as a way to talk trash to one another are really sad..... I can't believe the comments you guys are leaving. There is a man who gets up every morning ready to serve and protect you gets shot and killed and all you can think about is being hateful. It doesn't matter how old he was it could have been anyone out there. I have been living in this area for over 20 years and there has been lots of crime activity. When I was in school drive bys were VERY common. It doesn't matter where you live Oceanside or Beverly Hills crime is always around us. So please if you have nothing nice to say then just go to bed. And with that note I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to the family and fellow officers. "

GOD Bless wrote on December 20, 2006 11:49 PM:"I just wanted to say sorry to the family of the fallen officer. I am sorry that this has to happen to you around the holidays. God Bless you and yours. "

Open up your minds wrote on December 20, 2006 11:51 PM:"This shouldn't be so negative about illegals, or race. It could be anyone that could committ this horrible crime. The main thing is that they catch this horrible person, and give him what he deserves!!! Also this should be a place to THANK OPD for their hard work, and let the family know that we are very sorry for their loss. Open your minds up!!"

Lee wrote on December 21, 2006 12:07 AM:"WHAT!? Warriors for police officers... no. That is unnecessary. Why would you want the "shoot first, ask questions latter" philosophy to law enforcement??? Last I checked, it was still "innocent untill proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." Besides, a better law enforcement officer isn't the problem; it's crime. Let's think of some solutions to lower crime."

To: "Not a Good Night..." wrote on December 21, 2006 12:18 AM:"Are you kidding with this comment? A young officer was just murdered in cold blood tonight and taken from his wife and newborn child. As an OPD wife, let me assure you that while the guys out on the front line right now are mad as hell and grieving the loss of ANOTHER fellow officer, they are also professionals and will continue to handle themselves with the same utmost professionalism that the citizens of Oceanside can and should expect. Let's focus on what's important here- a family has lost their loved one tonight and the City of Oceanside has just lost another hero. God bless this officer and his family- my thoughts and prayers are with you and our entire OPD family."

Common Sense (or what should be common sense) wrote on December 21, 2006 12:22 AM:"Some of you people are absolute morons...it doesn't mater if you have combat experience or not...don't Marines and other service men and women get killed while defending our country? And...who knows what the exact circumstances are right now...to fault him or any other Officer who has been killed or injured in the line of duty is REDICULOUS!!! Right now everyone's prays should be with this Officer's family, the Oceanside Police Dept, and every other man and woman who buts their lives on the line daily for some of you ingreatful (insert word here)."

please wrote on December 21, 2006 12:26 AM:"please find the gunman. please find the gunman. please find the gunman. we are all pretty scared. thanks. "

DW wrote on December 21, 2006 12:33 AM:"My prayers and thoughts are with this man's family. What's going on? We have a man killed in a park in the middle of the day in Vista yesterday, and a horrific killing of an officer tonight. It's time the North County communities that are dealing with such violence should get together and figure out how to make these neighborhoods safer. "

Shut Up Gary! wrote on December 21, 2006 12:38 AM:"Can we put aside the politicking on this issue? AN OFFICER LOST HIS LIFE IN THE LINE OF DUTY! At Christmas time there will be an empty chair at the table of this family. So while you're having Christmas dinner, please send a prayer out to the family. "

Mike wrote on December 21, 2006 12:39 AM:"The race card is completly dare I say bs. Its the gang, the shooter, the cold blooded killer. Color doesn't matter. What matters is he took the life of a man. No man, women, nor child has the right to take anyones life. To do so would be robbing them and many others of many opportunities. Opportunities such as Love, Teachings, Learnings, Joy, and I hate to say it but the pain of Loss and Devastation. These feelings make us Human but to rob someone of these feelings, especially at so young. Godbless him and his family. I have been talking to some friends and some of them knew him or knew someone that had relations to him. all I can say is this isnt a time to blame the person next to you or turn on someone. its the time to get our act together as human beings and love one another and realize what we have before its all gone. so lets stop pointing fingers at races or judging someone by there looks people. really now most of you are adults so act like one. I have said my peace."

To Gary wrote on December 21, 2006 12:40 AM:"Get a grip! That has nothing to do with the immediate problem. Get a clue!"

Disgusted with North county wrote on December 21, 2006 12:49 AM:"This new is very sad. My heart goes out to the family of this man. As far as the rest of the trash I have read, I am so sick of people ranting about "immigration" or "illegal alians". As far as I am concerned when people are that shallow, they are no better than the criminals who commit these terrible acts! Thats all "they" are...Criminals!!!"

veritas wrote on December 21, 2006 12:50 AM:"Lets leave politics out of this. Prayers and help for his family should be our main thought. Followed by getting more police and neutralizing that known frequent crime area. "

TCMC Nurse wrote on December 21, 2006 1:04 AM:"Wow - heard the sirens tonight and as they disappeared into the darkness I was telling my 3 yr old daughter who was asking, "why won't the big noises stop." I told her as we made Christmas cookies that someone really needed some help from the policemen right now. It is 1am and my family is all tucked into bed and I have just read what happened tonight in my neighboring city. As I am warm and comfortable in my home my heart goes out to this young family. May God hold you in his arms and comfort you while you go through this very unfair and horrible incident. To all the other law enforcement family, thank you for doing what you do each and everyday!! OPD you will be in our families prayers."

Cop Thriller wrote on December 21, 2006 1:17 AM:"Disgusting comments! A HUMAN BEING lost his life. May he rest in peace. It's sad to see all this non-sense on this story."

NO EXCUSE wrote on December 21, 2006 1:19 AM:"I too used to live in that area but had to leave. The nightly gun fire was not something that you learn to tolerate. We all know who controls that neighborhood, Artur and Gold. I am surprised the cops even patrol that area anymore. Just let them kill each other and clean up the neighborhood. Just how amny people have been killed at Arthur and Gold. Rusty Seau was the last now a cop. I also find it ironic that the cops knew which 2 houses to concentrate on."

danny wrote on December 21, 2006 1:30 AM:"some of you who are reading this know who is involved. do the right thing for once and turn whoever is responsible in. it will make even your neighborhood and your family safer.to the family of the slain officer and for opd, i'm sorry for your loss and will pray for you. thank you for your service."

Roberto wrote on December 21, 2006 1:32 AM:"In that area wrote on December 20, 2006 10:32 PM:"The murderer could be white, "hispanic" samoan or black despite who "it" is I hope they are caught. My prayers go out to the officers family, OPD and all those who live in the area. " REPLY: I agree...Its time to find solutions that are realistic and don't reek of hate and racism. The drug trade, lack of communication with a community that doesn't trust the police or whatever the root causes are. Officers are their to protect and serve and innocent citizens of any economic class have a right to be safe also. All this anti-Mexican slander is just plain wrong and can only escalate the violence. My prayers go out to the family of the slain officer. "

MB wrote on December 21, 2006 1:34 AM:"My heart and prayers goes out to the family of the officer and his brothers on the Police Force all over our country. My son is a Police Officer and he works nights also,these guys are our heroes, they put there life on the line daily.They deal with types of people many of us have never encountered.They have families who just don't know if they will come home safe each day. Gods' blessings on all the people in every profession who dedicate their lives to serve and protect others."

I said it... wrote on December 21, 2006 1:36 AM:"Another cop killed by another hoodlum in Oceanside. Admit it people the cops can't do the job especially in this neighborhood. I am not surprised it was a female that initiated the contact and a young cop who was killed the senior officers know better than to get involved with the hoolums in this area. We know this is the worst area in Oceanside. More people have been killed in gang related killings than anyother area of the city. The experienced cops don't go to Arthur and Gold. No way no how, You just don't do it. Ask the Seau's."

Oceansider wrote on December 21, 2006 1:39 AM:"Who is going to stop the Pacific Islanders from controlling this area? Not the OPD. We all know who controls this hood now dont we? "

From OPD wrote on December 21, 2006 3:40 AM:"We will all miss you!"

Christopher (19) wrote on December 21, 2006 4:11 AM:"This is tragic. I can't believe this has happened again. I will be praying for his family, friends, and colleagues. God bless our police officers and keep them safe. P.S. The partisanship in these comments is disrespectful not only to the young officer who has lost his life but to all the people whose lives have been torn apart by this senseless murder and are now grieving. Have you no shame?"

gary wrote on December 21, 2006 5:10 AM:"Everyone does not celebrate christmas, so don't assume that I will pray for anyone on that day. Eribertos sounds nice to me on the 25th. Anyhow lets not get political when "Oceanside Councilman Rocky Chavez, who lives a few blocks from the area, said he was alerted to the situation by helicopters overhead. " Ye good thing he heard helicopters im sure he is doing alot to secure everyones safety while when us living in the neighborhood the officer was shot will feel the repercussions of this for months to follow. Swat team door to door searches seems like a great solution to the problem. "

Nanchi wrote on December 21, 2006 5:40 AM:"Prayers to the family and the OPD and their families. Please know that 99.99% of the citizens support and appreciate your dedication and sacrifice. "

Peace Officer's Wife wrote on December 21, 2006 5:48 AM:"All have concerns...that is true. But how many turn a blind eye and don't call of suspicions in their neighborhood? I feel sometimes that I am the "squeeky wheel"...suspicious car, party music that rocks my house, my childrens education and safety. I wonder daily if my husband will come home to us at night. I do take each and every day as a blessing with my husband. With 8 years infantry in the Marine Corp., (6 months in Iraq) and over 10 years with his department, I still don't think that anyone can have "enough training" for a bullet. It really doesn't matter who did it just that we take them off the streets before more get hurt. We need more of us to stop just talking about this and do something about it. Yes, now it is the holiday season, but what about all year long? Isn't there something that you can do to help your neighborhood? Are you even aware of who your neighbors are in case something like this goes wrong? If nothing more then taking a good look and being able to provide a police officer with the good description. You don't have to be a busy body or put yourself in harms way just be proactive instead of reactive when things go sideways. My thoughts and prayers are with the family."

Should be easy: wrote on December 21, 2006 5:59 AM:"The license plate was known and video had to have been running. Probably a stolen car with illegal aliens in it."

Retired Riverside Detective wrote on December 21, 2006 6:16 AM:"Very sad that another officer is killed just doing what he was paid to do - Keep law an order in our community. Condolences to the Police Department Family and family of the officer - Let's keep the emoitions and ratial profiling under control and concentrate on finding the killer, determining why it happened, and looking for a solution so it does not happen again. "

WITNESS wrote on December 21, 2006 6:19 AM:"While I traveled to work yesterday I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness Oceanside Fire performing CPR on the fallen Officer on the corner of Vandegrift Blvd. Behind me was a swarm of Oceanside Police Officers who were set on catching the criminal who shot there brother. To those of you who previously posted comments on who the suspect might be please withhold your judgement on the locals until their identity has been confirmed. At this point no one is certain who committed the shooting and to blame "illegal immigrants" or gang bangers just isn't appropriate. While I personally dissaprove of gang banger activity and illegal immigration I also have sympathy for the struggles that they are faced with on a daily basis. These are human beings just like you and I and deserve to be treated as such and not as a label that is looked down upon. I truly hope that the individual who committed this crime is caught and punished by the law, but lets not be hasty to blame everyone who we have personal conflicts with in the mean time. The simple fact is that we just don't know who committed this crime. To the family of the fallen officer I would like to extend my deepest sympathy and offer the hope that the individual will be caught and prosecuted. Your family member who died on that tragic evening was fighting a just cause to promote safety and order within our city limits and he won't be forgotten. God Bless you and your family during these troubling times. To the rest of you who are insistant upon blaming members of the community take a moment to put yourself in their shoes and see life through their eyes. We can't label these populations as criminals and thugs. By doing that we are simply predetermining their fate and are no better than a common criminal. STOP THE HATE. FIX THE PROBLEM THROUGH LOVING COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING. Too many people have given up their life so that all of us have the opportunity to prosper. Don't forget that. It saddens me to see so much blame and hatred arise whenever something like this occurs. I wish the best for all of you during these troubling times and pray that someday mankind can put violence and hatred behind us..."

Jewelzee wrote on December 21, 2006 6:24 AM:"God be with the family of this fallen officer. "

To Greg and other finger pointers wrote on December 21, 2006 6:49 AM:"The gangs that run rampant in that area are Samoan Gangs so please don't start blaming the illegals about this horrible crime. An person is dead and all you want to do is blame the poplular scapegoats give me a break."

Heavy heart wrote on December 21, 2006 6:49 AM:"When this occurred, Del Rio Elementary was hosting their annual holiday program at the elementary school within a stone's throw. I can only hope that the officer was escourted to heaven by those sweet voices. That area is not a "hotbed" for illegal immigrants. It is a small neighborhood, that holds a multitude of diverse ethnicities. I see them in my classroom daily. The staff of Del Rio sends our thoughts and prayers to the slain officer, as well as all of the children and families in that neighborhood. God bless."

J. Brody wrote on December 21, 2006 6:51 AM:"Our police officers do a great job! We need the community to step up and do a better job. Public safety is every citizens job and responsibility. Crimes of this magnitude need to be halted and the suspects subdued immediately. Thanks OPD for all you do you us and I am sorry for the loss of your brother!"

Enough!!! wrote on December 21, 2006 6:56 AM:"You people who are making this Officer's Death a "oh poor us, they'll blame a minority" make me SICK! I am sure the wife, baby, family and family in blue don't care what race the suspect is, just the fact that he or she has ruthlessly taken a life of an innocent man who was special to someone. You people who have nothing nice to say about law enforcement, remember this: When you are needing help and are in the pit of dispair and call 9-1-1 for our assistance because you can not take control of your own life; despite of your race, record, financial standing or anything else you can think to complain about, we will still respond to protect you DESPITE the fact that you will spit in our faces after we do.........."

dantrout wrote on December 21, 2006 7:07 AM:"Our prayers and simpathy go out to yet another fallen hero of Oceanside's finest and his dear famil. It is well beyond time that the City of Oceanside involve as many outside departments as possible to rid our community of gangs. There seems to be a pervasive sence among some citizens that Oceanside has always had a core of thugs and that it is "acceptabel". As though these elements are part of the heritage within Oceanside. Quite the contrary is true. Rather than simply shake up these gangs by taking down their leaders from time to time we need to get rid of the seedy element that has spauned generation after generation of future thug and gang member. Many of the 1,100 known gang members in Oceanside come from the same family sources. If these same groups continue to perpetually churn out bad apple after bad apple then the City needs to use all means necessary to get them out of Oceanside. There should be no public assistance for any household that harbors a know gang member. We, as a community, need to demand that our Mayor and Council do more than dole up pay raises. They collectively need to launch a plan to take back Oceanside."

Mike in Oceanside wrote on December 21, 2006 7:14 AM:"My thoughts and prayers go to the family of the officer who was killed. It's time to crack down on the gangs and lawless behavior that is taking place in that are of Oceanside. The city can repave Vandergrift and plant new trees but what good is it if you aren't safe to walk or drive down the street to see it????????? IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE."

Respect wrote on December 21, 2006 7:20 AM:"First of all my prayers go out to the officer & his family. It seems after reading some of the e-mails that their is alot of dis-like for minorties in general. Who cares what color the shooter is or shooters just find the the people involved. Police officers are just like us, they go to work to pay their bills & feed their family. It is just as dangerous living in any neighborhood rich or poor. As it is being a police officer. Police Officers must respect the public & Public must respest the law. So before anyone blames this crime on a mexican or black person or white person, remember stupid people comes in all shades of colors. "

to LEE wrote on December 21, 2006 7:21 AM:"Are you kidding me? Why in the heck would we have to learn a language from another country? Here is what I don't understand. If I was a police officer shot dead in Mexico because of drugs, gangs, illegal immigration from America, do you think all those Mexicans would learn ENGLISH so that there would be adequate communication between the two sides. HELL NO!! Are you ignorant. Get a grip. This is not about learning SPANISH. This is about a police officer losing his life for YOUR safety against ALL criminals. Where does learning SPANISH fit into this equation. Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest."

Neighborhood Watch Advocate wrote on December 21, 2006 7:21 AM:"I send all of my heart felt prayers to this fallen officer, heis loved ones and the OPD. This has been a sensless ATTACK our community. My advice to 92yz250 - you should not allow your neighborhood to be taken over by thugs and drug dealers. Aren't you aware of the Neighborhood Watch program? Don't you know you can report all kinds of suspicious behavior to the authorities? The police, DEA, immigration, border patrol all want citizens to let them know, without identifying yourself, what possible illegal activity is going on. Remember, the squeeky wheel gets all the attention. Help these agencys to do the best possible job by letting them know what you suspect. They will take care of it and your family will be much safer. You owe it to protect your family and not become a coward by hiding your head in the sand. Now, go do the right thing!! "

Please wrote on December 21, 2006 7:22 AM:"Please NCT - show some journalistic integrity. You should not allow people to post such ridiculous comments after such a tragedy. These people who try to turn these situations into a political stance on immigration or racism are completely out of line. It's your responsibility to monitor these postings and I think you should have more respect for your community, not to mention this man's family, than to allow someone to post such garbage. All of our thoughts and prayers should be focused on the family and friends of this fallen officer as well as with the dozens of other officers out there right now fighting to keep us safe. "

Lawson wrote on December 21, 2006 7:25 AM:"As former chair of the Police and Fire Commission, I lay the blame on Sanchez and Wood for rejecting the very worthy TenPoint gang program that was endorsed by DA Bonnie Dumanis and Supervisor Bill Horn. Now is the time to appoint a blue ribbon commission to see what can be done after the fact. Because of Sanchez and Wood's inaction, we have lost two good police officers due to their petty politics."

BajaBruja wrote on December 21, 2006 7:26 AM:"This just makes me wanna throw up but with the ever increasing population comes the ever increasing criminal activity as well. Unfortunately, It cannot and will not stop no matter how many officers/protectors we have. A client here just received the call that the officer is a personal friend. Yes, I will be saying a special prayer at the Christmas table. Big bear hugs to all law enforcement & firefighters.God be with you always. "

Michael from Vista wrote on December 21, 2006 7:38 AM:"Rest in Peace."

"Z" wrote on December 21, 2006 7:52 AM:"My heart goes out to the family of this young officer. The mayor and city council need to admit that we have a serious gang problem before we see the violence that occured in early 90's. The city has the capability to address the problem. What are we waiting for? "

dennis wrote on December 21, 2006 7:57 AM:"Another senseless killing by some low life punk w a gun. I can only hope someone in that neighborhood comes forward w information leading to the capture of this murderer. Someone there knows what happened. Tell the police your story. Catch this cowardly killer and let's put him to death post haste. That is, if those cowardly lefty judges allow it."

cheech wrote on December 21, 2006 8:04 AM:"dude that sucks he got shot "

Jack wrote on December 21, 2006 8:05 AM:"It is a terrible tragedy whenever anyone's life is cut short at the hands of another, but when a young son, husband and father is the victim it is particularly tough to handle. Having said that, I find it very difficult to understand why police officers from at least six other jurisdictions made their way to the crime scene. I doubt if there would have been that kind of response if a resident of Oceanside had been gunned down. Our law enforcement agencies have a very difficult and dangerous job but keep in mind that crimes against all citizens should be given the same consideration that officers would show towards their fellow officers. "

REST IN PEACE wrote on December 21, 2006 8:13 AM:"Rest In Peace to the fallen Officer.....You poor souls. Your ways of finding a solution is to point fingers at one another. To shed the lime light on yourself for all others are wrong. All of you need to get off this subject and stick to the issue at hand. It pains me that he (fallen officer) won't be around to share the holidays with his wife and child. I grew up in those streets and ran with a lot of infamous people. Ever since I can remember those streets of Deep Valley were beautiful yet deadly. Welcome to the life I have lived!!! But for all you to bring to racial profiles is absurd! First Hispanics, then African Americans, then Pacific Islanders.....Why do you think it is where it is today. You keep pointing the finger at one another. The war going on in those streets are not of gangs these days. Not Blood nor Crips or Essay. It's a racial war. And White Americans sit on the outside pointing at every one but themselves. It pains me to know that great people have died in vain. The officer last night and great historical men like Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. These men taught hatred was not the way!!! But look what all you are doing. Hating on each other. This holiday let's unite instead of breaking into different social factions. WE ALL NEED TO COME TOGETHER FOR THE FALLEN OFFICER AND FOR THE SAKE OF OUR COMMUNITY! ONCE AGAIN REST IN GOD'S HANDS BROTHER!"

THE ONE wrote on December 21, 2006 8:15 AM:"Well these things happen in life.Do you think the police are just going to ride around in their car all day? This is the risk these officers take on a daily basis. Too BAD.. I smell another lawsuit."

Sad to say, but... wrote on December 21, 2006 8:16 AM:"Oceanside be cursed. Bad, bad juju in that place."

fool wrote on December 21, 2006 8:23 AM:"All i hear is bla! bla! bla! u all sound racist you people are just as bad as the OPD "

Jenny wrote on December 21, 2006 8:30 AM:"My heart goes out to the family of this peace officer. My heart also goes out to the good people who live in that community, which is known for gangs, and violent crimes. May the lord bless you all and keep you safe. "

O-Sider wrote on December 21, 2006 8:31 AM:"I want to post my thoughts and prayers to the fallen officer and his family.I also want to encourage his officer family to react with professionalism and not haste. Take the time needed and find the shooter and bring him/her to justice without profiling. Do what you do. Stay focused,Don't bring more shame on our community. As a born and raised native of Oceanside,we all learned to live with diversity. Those of us who chose to stay know the richness of cross cultural social communities. Pockets of this type can be controlled with planning and purpose. We have come along ways since the seventy's. Don't let the "Back-Gate" turn into the ol "East-side""

THE ONE wrote on December 21, 2006 8:32 AM:"Blah,Blah,Blah... ask me if I care?"

sad.... wrote on December 21, 2006 8:34 AM:"Not only illegal aliens live in that area... samoan's and black gangs are also there. This was a routine stop... not a gang activity... It is sad what happend to this officer BUT let's get the facts before we point the finger at the illegal aliens which for some odd reason are always and only considered Mexican... What about the Chinese? Japanese? Think before you speak GREG."

AM wrote on December 21, 2006 8:36 AM:"Another hero's family left without a husband, father, brother, son. God Bless him and his family. Nor must we forget the brave men and women of the Oceanside P.D. Family for they to have lost a brother. I am truly devestated by this senseless act. Black, white, latino, illegal it matters not right now. There are killers amoungst us. What is important is that the men and women of the Oceanside P.D. still put on there uniforms this morning and are looking after us. GOD BLESS YOU ALL."

Dr. Reder wrote on December 21, 2006 8:36 AM:"I want to thank Councilman Rocky Chavez, among others, for voting to put a bus transfer station and high density housing on that corner. I'm sure the increase in transients and traffic will make this a safer neighborhood."

give me a break again..... wrote on December 21, 2006 8:36 AM:"EVERYONE WHO SAID THAT THIS WAS THE WORST NEIBORHOOD IN OCEASNIDE IS WRONG THERE OTHER AREAS THAT ARE WORSE OR AS WORSE LIKE DOWNTOWN AREA. TO SAY THAT THE COPS SHOULD NOT PATROL THERE IS NOT FAIR. THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN LOTS OF KILLINGS IN THAT AREA BUT THE PEOPLE WHO HAVENT LIVED HERE DONT KNOW THAT MANY GANG BANGERS THAT CLAIM SET IN OCEANSIDE DONT EVEN LIVE HERE ANYMORE THEY LIVE IN OTHER AREAS BUT COME BACK TO KICK UP THE DIRT AROUND HERE. THIS AREA IS MOSTLY OLDER FAMILIES ALL THEIR CHILDREN ARE ALL GROWN AND MOVED AWAY LIKE MYSELF. I GREW UP IN THIS AREA AND NOW LIVE ELSEWHERE. MY PARENTS BOTH STILL LIVE IN THE HOUSE THEY BOUGHT 25 YEARS AGO AND MAJORITY OF THE ARE VERY FRIENDLY. SO THANK YOU FOR NOT GIVING UP ON THIS AREA. PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE KNOW THAT YOU DO PATROL THIS AREA.... "

I am too a wife.... wrote on December 21, 2006 8:38 AM:"of a police officer as well as a cops survivor. I stuggle with the fact that my husband may not come home one day. I have lived with the news of someone I know being killed in the line of duty. My heart and prayers go to this young wife. Her life will never be the same. What sickens me it reading these comments. My husband protects all the citizens, black white, asian everyone. I am listening to people complain that if the illegals weren't here this would not have happened. YES it does. I think that those who think this is so easy to take care of, go to the police acadamy, earn you badge and patrol the streets. It is then that you are educated and qualified enough to comment on what goes on out there."

Chris wrote on December 21, 2006 8:40 AM:"For the love of God, enough is enough. If this was Vista those low life scums would have been shot dead by the cops. Then of course, the ignorant masses would be marching in the streets against police violence. Let our cops do their job!"

Mark from O wrote on December 21, 2006 8:41 AM:"Our town is not a rich city. We are not wealthy people. Our town is full of many kinds of good folks. Oceanside has good people of all colors, and a few bad people of all colors. We love our officers and and it's not just thier job to protect us. It's also our job to protect them. There is only one way to stop the bad people in a town that is not full of rich people. The good people must have the courage to come forward and let the police know who this piece of scum is. That is the only way things will change. If the good people are cowards who keep quiet, or 'move away', then the scum bags win. The best way to honor this officer is with our courage, and turn in the scum bag that killed him."

Paul wrote on December 21, 2006 8:41 AM:"Deepest condolences to his family and friends. Such a loss cannot be expressed."

Shame On Council wrote on December 21, 2006 8:41 AM:"“Political paralysis contributes to the death of a young police officer.” That is what your headline should have read regarding the tragic shooting of an Oceanside police officer Wednesday night. Without a doubt it will be determined that this shooting was committed by an Oceanside gang member, after dark the only people you’ll find on North River Road are cops and gangsters. Will it also be mentioned in the follow up stories that for the past several years the Oceanside City Council has repeatedly ignored the city’s shortage of police officers? The gang injunctions are a tool, but for any tool to be effective there has to be a person available to utilize the tool. If the Oceanside City Council had built up the OPD staff levels over the past decade to where they should be then perhaps there wouldn’t be a new bride and a two year old child mourning their loss this Christmas. With the massive development coming to Oceanside the City Council needs to wake up to its responsibility to provide protection to the law-abiding citizens of this community by bring the necessary resources to the OPD so that may successfully execute their jobs. The San Diego Union Tribune should also be ashamed that the loss of a young police officer only warrants three column inches in the second section. That a police officer was gunned down in the line of duty is appalling, the entire county should see what is happening on our streets and hold our elected officials responsible. "

anonymous wrote on December 21, 2006 8:48 AM:"My thoughts and prayers go to the slain police officers family. A tragedy...an unfortunate ending to a short lived life. I hope they find the killer or killers that orchestrated this murder. I'm confident the OCPD will do everything possible to find this killer. I have the upmost respect for police officers. They protect and servce the publics interest. If I were to see some weirdo in the back of my house holding a gun...I have the privlidge of calling the police department to protect me and my family...thats the beauty of the police department. "

Response to my Spanish comment wrote on December 21, 2006 8:52 AM:"Why learn Spanish you ask? So we can better communicate with people. Why communicate with people? So we can understand their lives and what they go through. The better we understand people, the better we can help each other as humans. Do I think that Mexico would start teaching English if the shoe was on the other foot? I doubt that, but does that mean since they would, we shouldn't try it either? It's called a new idea that might work in helping us reduce crime. Open communication helps reduce crime. My whole argument was finding ways to reduce crime so we can help our police officers stay safe. Maybe if you took time to read and analyze my posting you would have seen that. I also said that better education would help lower the crime. I don't know. Maybe you need to take a critical thinking class, before jumping all over me. Let me say this again. I want to help the police by finding ways to reduce crime. Is that plain enough?"

James wrote on December 21, 2006 8:52 AM:"Man, I can't believe the amount of racist we have posting here. "Lets hope a Mexican-American, Mexican or an illegal Mexican wasn't involved" "Probably a stolen car with illegal aliens in it" "..this comment section for white people only?!?!" You people MAKE ME SICK. OPD losses a brave young man and all you ...can do is play the race card?? ..., the world would be FAR better off without people like you. I?m all for cracking down on gangs, illegal immigrants, and crime, but this isn?t the time or place to talk about it. "

Larry - a fellow Officer wrote on December 21, 2006 8:55 AM:"My prayers go out to your family at Christmas. Because of you, we all sleep at night in peace, Thank You for putting on that uniform everyday and being there for all. God Bless"

frustrated worker wrote on December 21, 2006 8:56 AM:"How very sad this is. To assume it is an illegal is obsured. We do not have proof. It's to bad death row takes so long. If we sped up the process maybe these little gangsters would stop this nonsince. How tragic for the city of Oceanside who see's our fallen military on a daily basis. We the people need to take back our streets."

Kim wrote on December 21, 2006 8:56 AM:"My family and I send our prayers and our hearts go out to the family of this brave police officer. It saddens me that this child will grow up without his or her father. God Bless."

Tax Payer wrote on December 21, 2006 9:00 AM:"Although I'm extremely sorry about the fate of the young officer and his family, it amazes me how every single cop in San Diego has to respond the the scene, basically wasting time, fuel and resources which should be spent elsewhere. Just how many people does it really take to do an investigation for something like this? 10, 20? Who was protecting the rest of the county while the hundred or so cops were basically just standing around being pissed off? (rightfully so) I sincerely hope they catch the lowlifes who were involved in this, and execute them as they deserve."

RJ wrote on December 21, 2006 9:00 AM:"We are sorry for our great loss. Our prayers go out to the family. Blessings to you in this difficult time. We are sorry for your loss. May God draw close to you. The Officer's sacrifice is something we honor. He's a hero. We're proud to have known him and to have had him serve in our community. Our LEO's make this a better place, and appreciate their service."

Focused wrote on December 21, 2006 9:00 AM:"This isn't about race, this is about an innocent citizen sworn to serve and protect, gunned down by a coward. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to his Law Enforcement Family as well. I know they won't rest until the Coward is behind bars. Rest in Peace dear officer and may God keep your family at this difficult time."

Matt wrote on December 21, 2006 9:02 AM:"This is not the police officer's fault, it's not the citizen's fault this happened. Police and citizens can only do so much. There needs to be strict anti-gang/anti-illegal immigrant policies from the city top levels to rid the city of the garbage. Step it up Mayor!!! It's clean up time!!"

Cancel Christmas... wrote on December 21, 2006 9:06 AM:"OK O'side here we go again... Get another stretch of road ready...pull out the candles and the kleenex...ready the novinas and the "prayers"... Gold and Arthur just became hallowed ground!!! Well when all is said and done a bunch of gung ho cops with submachine guns and revenge in their hearts will go forth and look good for the cameras...laws against law abiding gun ownership will be passed and moments of silence will be had...WAKE UP!!! THE PROBLEM IS STILL HERE AN INCOMPETENT POLICE DEPT. HIRING POLICIES AND INEPT CITY GOVERNMENT!!! WE NEED THE SHERIFF HERE NOW!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AT LEAST THEY WIN THEIR GUNFIGHTS! WE CAN PETITION THE SHERIFF AS THE TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY TO STEP IN NOW!!! COPS ARE BEING KILLED THEY CAN'T PROTECT US HELL WE GOT ENOUGH MARINES AND THEY DON'T FALL UNDER THE POSSEE COMMITATIUS ACT WHY NOT USE THEM!!!"

Chuck wrote on December 21, 2006 9:07 AM:"Why, in the story, "Oceanside police officer shot dead in traffic stop," is it necessary to identify the police officer requesting help as a female officer? How does gender add to this story? "

Oceanside Resident wrote on December 21, 2006 9:09 AM:"To the family of our fallen HERO, May god hold him in the palm of his hand and keep you all near Him. It hurts me deeply that someone putting his life on the line daily to protect the quality of life that my family enjoy would have to pay the ultimate price. To OUR HERO and all OPD and those in the Military that do the same, THANK YOU! May you ALL understand that the majority of the citizens of Oceanside, regardless of their race appreciate you and your families and the sacrifices that you make. We must all stand united and fight crime together. "

Rusty's mother wrote on December 21, 2006 9:09 AM:"My thoughts and prayers go out to the officer and his family. This is a real sad time for everyone. Everyone is talking trash about the area, about the people that live there, I've heard the name Seau,racist comments, could be gang related, drugs....it's crazy something dramatic has occured and all you can do is talk trash please have some sympathy this is not the time I know alot of people are angry but, please keep your comments to yourself and let the police dept do their job. Just remember if you really care be there for your community and help those that go astray....being negative and making negative comments does not solve anything or better anyone."

Rick wrote on December 21, 2006 9:09 AM:"My family and I have watched this young man grow into a wonderful loving and caring man & father. He died doing what he loved. Serving and protecting others. He was a selfless and giving person. His son will grow up not knowing his father and you have no idea the pain that his wife and parents are experiencing at this time. He was a large man only larger was his heart for others and life. How he met his wife and the story of their courtship is a true "Love Story". My wife, sons, daughter and I will never forget you!!! We will be there for your wife and son. With broken hearts we love you!"

DW wrote on December 21, 2006 9:14 AM:"I know the family personally they are great people; this news sickens me! My prayers are definetly with you guys."

AN UPSTANDING SAMOAN... wrote on December 21, 2006 9:15 AM:"TO ALL THOSE WHO BLAME THE SAMOANS FOR THE CRIME...DONT FORGET THAT THERE ARE MEXICANS,,,WHITES...BLACKS...THAT LIVE IN THIS AREA ALSO...TO SAY THAT SAMOAN GANGS RUN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD AND THAT THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHOOTING IS ABSURD...ALL THESE DIFFERENT ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS VIE FOR CONTROL OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD..."

Chris wrote on December 21, 2006 9:15 AM:"My heart goes out to the officer's family and the rest of the OPD. These guys have a tough job out there everyday, and they deserve our respect. And I agree, that area has been a haven for gang and criminal activity for as long as I can remember. Back in the early 90's I had several friends/classmates who were killed by drive by's right at that same corner. I can't believe that in 16 years, something hasn't been done to rid the area of t

Teen arrested, officer identified in Oceanside shooting death

By: North County Times

OCEANSIDE ---- The Oceanside police officer who was shot and killed Wednesday night during a routine traffic stop, has been identified as Dan Bessant, 25, who lived in Oceanside with his wife and infant son.

Bessant, who began his career with the Oceanside department six years ago as a community service officer, became a police officer three years ago, said police Capt. Dave Heering. The identity of his wife is not being released at this time.

Bessant was shot after responding to a request for backup call from officer Karina Pina, 28, at about 6:20 p.m. and died after being airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla.

A 17-year-old juvenile was arrested early Thursday in connection with the shooting, officials said.

At least one other juvenile --- all lived in the Oceanside neighborhood where the shooting occurred ---- was being questioned Thursday morning, Heering said. Two people are considered to be of significant interest, said Heering, but are just being questioned at this time.

Officials searched three homes on Arthur Street near the shooting site on Thursday morning, and removed bags of evidence. Heering said more people who lived in the three homes may be questioned.

The shooting occurred at Gold Drive and Arthur Avenue, near Vandegrift Boulevard, after Pina stopped a car with six people in it for a vehicle code violation.

As she questioned the people in the car, she called for back up.

About 10 minutes after Bessant arrived, Heering said several shots were fired from as much as a half a block away. Pina returned fire, Heering said, but no one was struck.

Heering said "a single round entered the area of his (Bessant's) left arm pit," which is an area not covered by the protective vest he was wearing.

Heering would not say how many shots were fired, or what type of gun was used, but confirmed that the shots came from behind the officers from about a half a block away.

The Oceanside Police Officers Association has established a Dan Bessant memorial fund at Washington Mutual. For those interested in donating to the account the number is 313-3219879.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... _20_06.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Looks like: wrote on December 21, 2006 1:32 PM:"That area needs some attention. Can't have gangs in control. What is the answer?"

Chris wrote on December 21, 2006 1:37 PM:"Its a sad day for Oceanside. I wish our city would wake up and do something serious about the gang problem and illegal allien problem here. "

Tazman wrote on December 21, 2006 1:48 PM:"I know the area I live around the corner off douglas. But not in any report has it said to be gang related nor illegal alien's to be the problem. I find it sad that everyone seems to say those things about this case. I feel for the family of the officer my prayers are with them."

This is really sad and I feel sorry for the family. I hope they catch the reponsible person(s). I say person(s) as many times there are people who aid and abet the killers. It happened in Broward County not too long ago where on deputy was killed and his back up was shot but survived. They caught and arrested 3 people 2 of which were illegals from the Bahamas who were at the scene and the 4th person was one of their girlfriends as she was aiding and abetting the criminals.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A routine traffic stop.....

And how about this solution one nitwit offers in the comments section:

A better educated community also helps lower crime, so how about more schools? How about the community learn Spanish, so we can have an open communication with majority of non-English speakers... oh, but this is America and you MUST ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH!!!

A better educated community also helps lower crime, so how about more schools? How about the community learn Spanish, so we can have an open communication with majority of non-English speakers... oh, but this is America and you MUST ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH!!!
    What a freakin CREEP...
    A young man is dead...a wife and child suffer....and this is your comment...I bet this is an Aztlan piece of poo...
    Hey nut job go eat some tainted lettuce for me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Routine traffic stops are one of the most dangerous parts of a police officers job. Unfortunately many officers don't even have a chance to draw thier gun for self defense in those cases.
    Today we had a high speed chase as some Mexicans hit a car and took off as they were in a stolen car. They could have easily caused a serious accident which could have resulted in the loss of life. Some people have no regard for life.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Some people have no regard for life.
    So again... they should eat tainted lettuce....LOL......and disregard their life ...for us
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Details Emerge About Officer's Slaying

Details Emerge About Officer's Slaying

Policeman Killed By Rifle Fire

POSTED: 5:34 pm PST December 21, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:35 pm PST December 21, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- Three and a half years after the murder of Officer Tony Zeppetella, the city of Oceanside is again mourning an officer killed in the line of duty.

Oceanside Police Officer Dan Bessant in file photo from 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video: Details Emerge About Officer's Slaying
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/10586339/detail.html#
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Bessant, 26, was a three-year member of the force. He was gunned down by rifle fire Thursday while providing backup during a routine traffic stop just south of Camp Pendleton.

Bessant was hit by a shot by one of several rounds that were fired in the 600 block of Arthur Avenue at about 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday. According to investigators, the bullets were fired about half a block away up the street from where Officer Carena Pena had stopped a car for a minor vehicle-code violation.

"The car she stopped was occupied by six people, so she asked for a backup officer to come assist her with the traffic stop," said Capt. Dave Heering of the Oceanside Police Department. "Officer Bessant arrived about four minutes later. About 15 minutes into that traffic stop, Officer Pena got on the radio and advised that an officer had been shot and requested additional units."

Police said that Pena did return fire before going to Bessant's aid.

Bessant was stabilized by paramedics and airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla but died of a single gunshot wound to the left armpit, which wasn't covered by the panels of his protective vest.

Law enforcement officers from all over the county swarmed the neighborhood on Wednesday night and Thursday, serving search warrants, seizing evidence and, eventually, taking a 17-year-old into custody while detaining another juvenile for questioning.

Police said the area where the shooting took place has been known for gang activity.

As officers worked the investigation on Thursday, Oceanside's mayor, a retired police officer, weighed in on the shooting.

"It's bizarre," said Mayor Jim Wood. "It's just, ah, people taking potshots at police officers and then, still, a shot going between the panels in the vest. It's just unbelievable, and this seems kid of like a fluke, with these two juveniles, and I just don't understand the situation with these two lads and why they did this. It's just amazing to me."

Previous Stories:
    December 21, 2006: Police Identify Slain Officer
    December 21, 2006: Suspect Arrested In Officer's Killing
    December 21, 2006: Manhunt Under Way For Officer's Killer

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/10586339/detail.html

Officer Tony W. Zeppetella
    Oceanside Police Department

Date of Birth: October. 2, 1975
    Date Appointed: May 13, 2002
    End of Watch: June 13, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What began as a routine traffic stop on the afternoon of June 13, in the City of Oceanside, ended in the shooting death of one of the city’s fine young police officers.

Twenty-seven year old Tony Zeppetella, who had been with the Department just thirteen months was shot and mortally wounded by his assailant, Adrian George Camacho, a 30 year old known gang member, following a routine traffic stop.

After wounding the officer several times, Camacho left the scene in the officers’ police vehicle, abandoning it near a relative’s residence, where he forced entry and took refuge.

More than 50 law enforcement units from surrounding jurisdictions, including helicopters and the California Highway Patrol, converged on the scene. His place of refuge surrounded, Camacho surrendered after a four-hour standoff. He had suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg, apparently the result of gunfire returned at the scene by Zeppetella.

Camacho was booked into the Vista Detention Facility and charged with the murder of a peace officer.

Oceanside Police Chief Mike Poehlman offered high praise of the Oceanside citizens and members of the U.S. Marine Corps who had witnessed the shooting, administering CPR to the fallen officer prior to the arrival of the paramedics, and gave special recognition to the young lady who picked up the microphone of the radio in the abandoned police vehicle and gave the Communications Center a description of the fleeing suspect and his route of escape.

At the scene of the shooting Officer Zeppetella was given emergency fist aid and air lifted to the Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, where he succumbed to multiple gun shot wounds.

Departmental records indicate that Tony Zeppetella was the first Oceanside P.D. officer to die in the line of duty in nearly 87 years. On

September 24, 1916, City Marshall John E. Mugan was fatally shot while on duty.

Following the death of Officer Zeppetella, Chief Poehlman assembled the men and women of his department to congratulate them on the speedy apprehension of Camacho, and recalled a conversation with Zeppetella the day that he was sworn in as a new police officer. He had told the Chief that “it has been my life long dream to become a police officer”.

On Friday morning, June 20, funeral services for Tony Zeppetella were held at the New Venture Christian Fellowship in Oceanside. Typical of police funerals, and appropriately, there were several hundred peace officers in attendance, representing a multitude of agencies statewide. In addition to fellow law enforcement officers, a number of local dignitaries were in attendance. Attorney General Bill Lockyer, the States’ Chief Law Enforcement Officer, was once again in attendance offering condolences on behalf of the people of California. Officer Zeppetella was to be laid to rest at a later date in Paso Robles, California.

Officer Tony Zeppetella is survived by his wife Jamie and his infant son Jacob, parents Tony and Renate Zeppetella, brother George and sister Renate

The Oceanside Police Officers’ Association has established a memorial fund for the Zeppetella family at the Oceanside Branch of the Washington Mutual Bank. Donations may be made to the “OPOA Tony Zeppetella Memorial Fund” at any Washington Mutual Branch.

"CONVICTED ILLEGAL ALIEN", KILLER OF OFFICER TONY ZEPPETALLA

VISTA, Calif. -- Officials with the Department of Homeland Security told NBC 7/39 that accused cop-killer Adrian George Camacho was living in the country illegally and had been deported several times during the past 10 years.

Camacho's criminal record began when he was still a juvenile:

He was arrested in 1991 as a juvenile for carrying a loaded firearm in public at the scene of a drive-by shooting. It was also determined that he was a member of the Mesa Locos gang.

When he was 18, he was arrested on a felony warrant by a North County task force investigating drug and gang crimes. He pleaded guilty to possession of methamphetamine and was sent to prison for 16 months.

On March 29, 1995, Camacho was charged with possession of heroin and narcotics paraphernalia. He pleaded guilty to heroin possession under a plea bargain, and was sentenced to another 16 months.

On Aug. 9, 1996, he was arrested again on drug charges and for possession of a sawed-off shotgun. He was charged with being a felon in possession of a short-barreled shotgun, receiving stolen property, possession of a narcotic without a prescription and possession of drug paraphernalia. He pleaded guilty to the weapon charge and possessing stolen property and was sentenced to three years in prison.

On Nov. 27, 1999, Camacho was arrested for failing to pull over for a police officer. According to the police complaint he fled after seeing flashing lights on a patrol car. He pleaded guilty to evading arrest with reckless driving and driving under the influence of drugs and was sentenced to four years in prison

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2279260/detail.html

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast