Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

An Even Better Idea wrote on December 22, 2006 12:14 PM:"Next to the proposed new Police Substation, there should be a new Border Patrol (ICE) Substation. Boy talk about a nervous neighborhood then."

Gold dr wrote on December 22, 2006 12:28 PM:"It happens on Gold dr too, both sides of it. One house on the 500 block is where the Samoan gang members all hide out after they fire off their guns."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... ogcomments

Oceanside neighborhood nervous after fatal shooting

Police arrest second suspect in fatal shooting of Oceanside officer

By: North County Times
    DECEMBER 22, 2006 1:41 PM

OCEANSIDE ---- Oceanside police officials said Friday they have arrested a second suspect in connection with the fatal shooting Wednesday of police officer Dan Bessant.

A 16-year-old Oceanside boy was arrested Thursday night after he was detained for questioning, police officials said Friday. The police also arrested a 17-year-old Oceanside boy Thursday morning. Neither boy's identity has been released.

Bessant was shot at the intersection of Gold Drive and Arthur Avenue in northeast Oceanside after responding to a request for backup call from Officer Karina Pina at about 6:20 p.m. Wednesday. He died after being airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.

Police officials have said the motive for the shooting is not known and that the investigation is continuing.

It was unclear whether there was any gang involvement, but the neighborhood, which is near the back gate of Camp Pendleton, has been the location of several gang shootings, including the shooting death of 16-year-old Rusty Seau in June 2005.

Bessant, 25, graduated from Oceanside High School and lived in Oceanside with his wife and infant son.

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

SAN DIEGO UNION TRIBUNE

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nort ... rrest.html

Although authorities have not determined whether the shooting was gang-related, Councilwoman Sanchez said the Mesa Margarita community has been concerned about gangs and requested more police officers in the area. Bessant had just returned to work after a short maternity leave and was to meet with Samoan community activist Wayne Godinet, who had planned to introduce the officer to Samoan church leaders who serve as authority figures in the community.

Update: Second youth arrested
    12:42 p.m. Dec. 22, 2006

OCEANSIDE – A 16-year-old boy who had been detained for questioning in the fatal shooting of an Oceanside police officer was arrested Friday.

The boy, who was not identified because he is a juvenile, was booked into Juvenile Hall on suspicion of murder.

Officer Dan Bessant, 25, was shot when he arrived to help another officer on a routine traffic stop Wednesday evening.

It is the second arrest made in the case. Police on Thursday arrested a 17-year-old boy.

FROM THE ARCHIVES:

Jury clears Oceanside man of attempted murder, convicts on lesser charges

By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff Writer
    North County Times

November 2, 2006

VISTA ---- Following about a week of deliberations, a jury Thursday cleared an Oceanside man of attempted murder charges for shooting at three Oceanside gang-unit detectives who were cruising in an unmarked police car in an neighborhood.

But the panel found Jimmy Simeona Malo, 27, guilty of the less serious charge of attempted voluntary manslaughter for firing at one of the men: Dwight Ayers, the Oceanside police detective behind the wheel of the unmarked sport utility vehicle that crept past a party in a neighborhood plagued by gang violence.

Jurors could not reach a verdict as to the same question of attempted voluntary manslaughter for Malo's shooting at the other two detectives in the SUV.

The jury also found Malo guilty of three counts of assault on a peace officer with a firearm in the Oct. 15, 2005 shooting, in which Malo shot at the officers as he approached them from a sidewalk about 15 or 20 feet away. The detectives, who were not hit, returned Malo's fire and struck him four times, once in each shoulder and once in each thigh.

Malo is set for sentencing Dec. 5, but will be back in court Nov. 14 for a hearing on whether prosecutors will retry him on lesser counts for shooting at the other men in the car, Detective Sean Marchand and Sgt. John Anderson.

According to courtroom testimony, the detectives went to check out gang hangouts and came upon a large gathering in the 500 block of Arthur Street in Oceanside's Mesa Margarita neighborhood.

The detectives testified that they drove past the gathering on a cul-de-sac, turned around, and heard a gunshot as they headed back. They then saw Malo aim a gun and fire at them as they shouted at him to stop because they were police officers.

Deputy District Attorney David Williams III told the jurors that Malo intended to kill the detectives because he set up an ambush in a dark section of the street and moved toward the SUV as he fired.

Defense attorney Ronald Lemieux argued that it appeared that "a typical drive-by shooting" scenario was unfolding as the SUV slowly went by and then returned.

There was no way Malo, a married father of two, could have known that the vehicle carried police officers, the defense attorney said.

Malo was an athlete when he attended El Camino High School a decade ago. He later went on to play football as a linebacker at Palomar College and the University of Minnesota at Duluth.

North County Times wire services contributed to this report. Contact staff writer Teri Figueroa at (760) 631-6624 or tfigueroa@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/11 ... 1_2_06.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    concerned citizen wrote on November 02, 2006 11:58 PM:"Let me get this right. Malo can shoot at a vehicle, regardless of who is driving, and is found innocent of attempted murder. What was this jury thinking. It doesn't matter if it were cops or citizens, this is crazy. These jurors must have the IQ of a 10 year old. I hope this never occurs to them or a friend of thiers. Regardless, Malo will still be sent to jail until he is 50. By that time his kids will not know him and his wife will be remarried. Good decision to shoot at vehicles. At least he will probably be the most educated man in prison."

justice served wrote on November 03, 2006 6:25 AM:"justice is served! "

Hopefuly wrote on November 03, 2006 7:02 AM:"Hopefully the D.A. will retry on the other two counts of attempted mansluaghter. Also, hopefully the judge will sentence Malo to the maximum term, we don't need people like him free in society anytime soon."

Gary wrote on November 03, 2006 7:10 AM:"Your story is full of mistakes. It was assault with a firearm on all three detectives, not on police officers. There is a big difference. Also, he was shot four times, but only in one shoulder, each thigh and his ankle. Was your reporter even there?"

Osider wrote on November 03, 2006 7:21 AM:"Typical OPD tactics here. They drive up in SUV with black tinted windows in a gang infested area looking like gangs bangers from another gang. Moral of the story, act like a gang banger and you will get treated like a gang banger. OPD needs to look at there unmarked drive by polocies. "

what so you know? wrote on November 03, 2006 7:50 AM:"hopefully people will research the whole trial before they try talkin' what they don't know about, hopefully..."

to concerned citizen wrote on November 03, 2006 8:06 AM:"my concern are people like you. you DON"T know the facts. you're probably sitting on a hill in your cute little white house with the white picket fence, perfect living, right? well some of us out here are targets for the Oseanside police department. no, it isn't right to just shoot at anyone. but it is our divine animal right to protect our children and our families if we feel the need to. i believe that's exactly what Jimmy was doing when a dark, mini suv with jet-black tinted windows, with a passenger sitting in the back with the window down low enough just to see his eyes drove by slower than it shold have been going at night. i understand in your perfect little world this is not comprehendible. but to us, it's a sure sign that a drive-by is just seconds away. so no, justice has not failed. i believe strongly that for once, it has prevailed, how's that for uneducated? "

what are you talking about "Osider" wrote on November 03, 2006 8:55 AM:"How would you like detectives to patrol gang areas if not undercover? You are probably the same type of person that complains about gang problems in your neighborhood and wonder why the police aren't doing more to prevent it from happening. Just because the detectives were undercover and drove by, doesn't give this gangster the right to shoot at them, regardless of the type of vehicle or them driving by slowly. I am happy to see the guilty conviction on one count of voluntary manslaughter but don't understand how the jury could not reach a decision on the other two. Do they really think that he was only trying to hit one of the three? "

TO Gary wrote on November 03, 2006 8:55 AM:"A Detective is a Police Officer, just like a motor cop, a canine handler, or a narcotics officer all are. They are all police offciers according to the penal code, stop commenting on things that you are ignorant about."

Copper wrote on November 03, 2006 9:19 AM:"The sad thing about this whole thing is the jurors were huging the Malo family after the verdicts. It just shows you how intelligent these jurors really are. It's a sad day for the men and women in Law Enforcement."

To ignorant responder wrote on November 03, 2006 9:42 AM:"Your belief in the fact that it is alright to shoot at anyone, even if you think it is a drive-by or not is moronic. If they thought it was a drive by why didn't they call the police? Did they go inside for safety? Your thinking is the one flawed! You protect your children by creating an environment where you promote killing others? Really? I would hope that CPS would come and take your children because it is apparent that you are not fit to raise them. It is never alright for another human being to shoot another for just driving by, period case closed and he was found GUILTY in case you didn't realize, read the article."

Malo Juror wrote on November 03, 2006 11:10 AM:"There's a reason we spent 7 days in deliberations. Walking down the street, and shooting a firearm into the air near a vehicle with passengers: that is assault with a firearm. The 2 shots into the vehicle didn't take place until Malo saw the driver raise his gun. At that point it was a volley of gunfire between 2 armed individuals. This is, by the letter of the law, "Attempted manslaughter: imperfect self defense." The reality is that we had to piece together the pieces of this puzzle and it wasn't easy. All 4 individuals involved in this had some conflicts in their testimonies. There were no other witnesses that came forward so it was a "He said, he said" situation. We had to make a decision based on the evidence we were given. The prosecution tried to paint Malo as a serial cop killer. Ummm , not hardly. They called it an "Ambush." An ambush is a sneak attack. When someone approaches a vehicle from the 10 O'clock (fact), fires a warning shot (fact), announces his presence with a statement like "Wassup" (fact). This by definition is the exact opposite of an ambush. "

another juror wrote on November 03, 2006 11:34 AM:""Jurors were hugging the Malo family after the verdicts." Hmmm, let's see, we just sent someones husband/son/father to jail for an unknown number of years; have you ever had to do that? The family is not on trial here and to show empathy toward them and their loss is called compassion."

Dear Wake up wrote on November 03, 2006 12:42 PM:"Obviously you've been sleeping for about 30 yrs or so. Malo is a college grad, with a good paying job, wife and 2 kids, with no priors. And you believe this is typical of the guy who's burglarizing homes and assaulting family memebers?? Question: If he had gone inside and called 911, how long do you think it would've taken OPD to respond to such a call in that neighborhood? My guess is an hour or so. Do you know how many drive-by shootings and killings have taken place in that neighborhood in recent years? Enough to give any resident cause for alarm. Question: Knowing this, would you want to walk around that neighborhood at night unarmed? Answer: GO FOR IT!"

Disappointed wrote on November 03, 2006 1:28 PM:"What if it was you? Let's say you turned down a wrong street, had your spouse and kids in your car, and some guy in front a party thought you were a rival gang and started shooting at you, almost killing you, your spouse, your kids? Let's say none of you were hurt, what would the person deserve? Let's say someone was hit or even killed, one of your kids even, what would the person deserve? The guy had a gun, shot at people in a car he couldn't even see, what if it had been you?"

disgusted wrote on November 03, 2006 1:50 PM:"I am so tired of reading what an upstanding citizen/husband/father malo is. Guess what: Those cops he came within INCHES of MURDERING are also family men with kids (some very young). They leave their families behind every night they go to work to try to make Oceanside a safer place and I for one thank God for them. It's easy to blame law enforcement for the state of things but imagine how much worse the streets would be if not for them. THEY ARE THE VICTIMS HERE and justice was NOT SERVED!!! Driving around gang neighborhoods in an unmarked car is part of their JOB, it's what the City of Oceanside PAYS THEM TO DO. OPD was ALREADY in the neighborhood "responding" to prior gang violence by patrolling the area and they were shot at. Some of you are okay with that, it's nauseating!!"

To Wake up Oceanside wrote on November 03, 2006 1:56 PM:"What concealed firearm? I dont ever remember reading it being a concealed firearm he was at a house. I don't know about you but i have a gun in my house and i got no problem getting it out and using it if i felt i was in danger. I don't know the whole story but it sounded like he thought his family was in danger and tried to protect them, but he was wrong and shot some cops."

To disgusted wrote on November 03, 2006 1:59 PM:"your not the judge or the jury so deal with the outcome."

another juror wrote on November 03, 2006 2:37 PM:" Responding to disappointed: That's not how it happened, hence not guilty of attempted murder. Responding to disgusted: Those cops were not already in the neighborhood responding to another call about gang violence. Nobody feels the cops weren't doing their job. Even the jury realized this and this was not a consideration during deliberations. Reference post of Nov 3, 11:10am."

To the Malo Jurors wrote on November 03, 2006 4:02 PM:"The reason people have different stories during testimony is because they don't conspire before taking the stand. There is not a time where everyone sits down and talks about what happened so that they can get their story straight. If you and I saw the same thing happen we both would describe it in two different ways. Is either of us wrong? Lying? The answer is no. Sometimes it is hard for people to understand this and they become confused and hung up on this simple concept. I pray that did not happen to the jury but if you are truly a juror from the Malo Jury then that appears to have happened to you. You became distracted on a common occurrence and let that cloud your intelligence. You were tasked with a duty to do and it appears that you failed. Particularly in the fact that you were hugging Malo's family after, that shows a very poor lack of impartiality and favoring Malo. Our juror system relies on the very basic denominator being that the juror picked are those not smart enough to get out of jury duty. "

Malo juror wrote on November 03, 2006 4:29 PM:"Again, 12 of us for 7 days; I KNOW we did our job. Am I aware of differing testimony about the same event? Of course. But glaring differences are another story. You question my intelligence? Does 2 graduate degrees qualify me as intelligent? 9 of the 12 jurors were college graduates. Sympathy for the family? You bet. They were not on trial, and they just lost a son/husband for who knows how many years. BTW, the term is empathy (not sympathy), and it is basic human compassion. Keep tryin, but if you weren't in that room for 7 days, you have absolutely no idea."

REASONABLE MAN wrote on November 03, 2006 6:22 PM:"Okay folks, Who here believes that this individual left a party with a 6 shooter in order to walk straight into a car load of gang members (who would presumably have him out-gunned), fired a warning shot, announced his presence with "Wassup..." then started blasting? Makes for a good Hollywood script but it ain't reality. Unfortunately this is what the OPD and the proscution expected the jury to believe. Thank god they didn't. Malo is guilty of being royally stupid and using bad judgement for getting himself into this predicament and his stupidity got him convicted of attempted manslaughter and assault with a firearm. When you run a reality check on this whole story, you find that he is no attempted murderer. Ask yourself this: Were those 2 shots that went into the vehicle an "Action" or a "Reaction?" If Malo were my kid, I would thank god for those jurors who were able to see the forest through the trees. Good on you guys."

Another Malo Juror wrote on November 03, 2006 7:25 PM:"Please don't judge me as making a mistake by hugging the Malo family after the trial and percieve it as a sign of ignorance and a lack of intelligence. If you were there and saw me, than you had to see that I was struggling with what we had heard from the family as to their version of the facts of the events on October 15th 2005. The facts presented by the Prosecution were anything other than facts according to the family. Jimmy Malo was claimed to have been hit by four bullets. The facts from the family are that Jimmy Malo was actually shot seven times. Three bullets are still in Jimmy Malo's body. Then where did the other three bullets come from? None of the jurors believed that Jimmy Malo was without guilt in this tragic sequence of events. We all agreed that taking a gun to challenge anyone who you may percieve as a "potential" threat to a group of people is unreasonable and against the law. Unfortunately the series of events that unfolded was not only a crime by Jimmy Malo but also resulted in the shooting of the defendant by the police officers and can be viewed as a subsequential cover up by the plain clothes police officer's and by our "people's" prosecution. Also, unfortunately a "jury of our peers" is no longer possible in today's society. I am not a "peer" of Jimmy Malo. As I am not a "peer" of Kenneth Lay. As a juror we are given a task to stand in judgement of our fellow citizens based on the evidence provided to us. To stand in judgement of a juror without that same evidence and then render a decision based on that lack evidence is unreasonable based on the limited awareness of the case in it's totality. I would offer this as a message of peace to Jimmy Malo's family and the Oceanside Police Department. Matthew 5:33 "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Ghandi once said that "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." Let's move forward from here and pray for the peace that we all know is possible. "

jimmy's friend wrote on November 03, 2006 8:15 PM:"Why dont everyone do their homework and find the history of gangs on author street, it is one of the notorious streets known for around the clock gang activity...so i respect jimmy malo for having a gun and doing what he did. everybody in that neighborhood knows it is not a safe place especially at night and the cops know that, they are not stupid they were just looking for trouble, i mean if they would have rolled up in regular police cars then yea none of this would have happend but the fact that they were driving slow in a bad neighborhood with dark tinted windows having the window down a little bit so that their eyes can barely see...than ... yeah i would have thought it was a drive by too and i would have done the same thing jimmy did, say wassup and see what happens and take necessary action to protect him and his family, now before you you look down at jimmy, put yourself in his shoes and think about what would you have done...so no one has the right to talk bad about him unless you have been through what he has and know whats up with the hoods especially in deep valley....."

to dear wake up wrote on November 03, 2006 9:58 PM:"You said Malo had a good job. Why was he living with his parents? You say that there alot of shootings in that area? How do you do a drive by when your on a cul de sac? If you know so much then you would know that those types of shootings only occur when someone would walk to the crowd and shoot. It makes nosense to drive up past a house and make a u-turn. The jurors should be ashamed. I was in that court room and apparently they believed everything the defense through at them during closing arguments. Like there was another shooter and the warning shot landed on the other side of the vehicle. BUT oops the round had glass in it because it went through the window. They beleived everything that lacked common sense. Great message you sent. It's ok to shoot at anyone who is in a vehicle with 3 40 year old white males because they drove down a street occupied by gangsters. Hey, jurors I have some land I want to sell."

Who are you??? wrote on November 04, 2006 8:14 AM:"To the person who made the coment to "If Jimmy had agood job why was he living with his family" Well that is none of your bussiness, and if you must know Jimmy loves his family they were all close and helped eachother out. Jimmy and his wife worked very hard and Jimmys parents helped with the kids. Bottom line is Jimmy was droped of those att. murder charges get over it its over. And the jury did there job so everyone needs to stop crying its done over and god bless everyone."

oceanside citz.. wrote on November 04, 2006 8:39 PM:"Its very unfortunate that nothing good could come out of this comment section as people will always have an opinion. However we dont look at a comment section of the paper waiting for those opinions to decide Jimmy's fate... That happens in the court room and that is exactly what happen... The jury has made their descisions based on facts...all other is irrelevant... I to have an opinion...will all of you agree probably not...that is why a jury is selected. The only real comment that I have that has not been addressed is First: To Disappointed wrote on November 03, 2006 1:28 PM The difference between a family making a wrong turn down a gang invested street verses these detectives driving down a street that they very well knew had a strong history of gang violence as recent as three wks prior were another drive by took place... The detectives did everything possible to display gang chararistics such as driving slow...peering out a 2inch opening of their dark tinted window, not once but twice wearing known rival gang colors... hmmm sounds to me that they went there with their own agenda... Second: To REASONABLE MAN wrote on November 03, 2006 6:22 PM You stated "Makes for a good Hollywood script but it ain't reality"" I say fortunatly for you and your family that it isnt your reality but for some of us citizens of this community... "It is our reality" My husband and I make over $76K a year and you know as well as I that its not enough money to afford a home in your perferred section of town .... So like myself and my family...we make due with the most and pray for the best and everyday is grateful for what we have... If my parents were a live... I know I would probably live with them since we all know our elders need the most help with being on fixed income...so dont judge to pray.... "

TO MALOS JURY.... wrote on November 05, 2006 2:22 AM:"JOB WELL DONE! YOU DID EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER BASED ON "FACTS"..SHOWING THE MALO FAMILY COMPASSION AFTERWARDS, GREAT! DONT LET THE IGNORANCE OF THESE IDIOTS GET YOU DOWN! DEAR COPPER- DO U NEED A HUG?"

To "jimmy's friend" wrote on November 05, 2006 11:39 AM:"How can you respect a gang member taking a gun and shooting at 3 police officer's. The only reason this street is a unsafe is because of the "fine upstanding citizens" carrying guns and wearing red walking around in this area and shooting at people. If it is that unsafe maybe they should find somewhere else to hang out or hang out inside or the backyard where they do not need to ILLEGALY carry guns and shoot at cops. It's time to take responsibilty for your own actions and for your neighborhood. As for the Jurors, how can you possibly believe the defense that they thought it was going to be a driveby. Last time I checked the bloods living on that street weren't in a war with 3 white males! "

to: dear wake up... wrote on November 05, 2006 11:43 AM:"if you were speaking on facts then you would know that while the idiots were driving into the cul de sac things were okay they were no problems until they were heading back up the street after they flipped the cul de sac. Read the facts & study them before you make false assumptions on a case you know NOTHING about. It really doesnt matter what you and the rest of the ignorant people who dont agree with the jury's verdict think anyways because justice was served... So, let go and let GOD. "

To To "jimmy's friend" wrote on November 05, 2006 11:39 AM wrote on November 05, 2006 5:26 PM:"You need to check again!!! There are "white males" that gangbang in Oceanside! And the war isn't between samoans and blacks!!! You must not be from O'side."

To To To "jimmy's friend" wrote on November 06, 2006 7:54 AM:"Wasn't he found guilty on several counts? "

To "jimmy's friend" wrote on November 06, 2006 10:53 AM:"You need to check your facts that the war isn't between blacks and samoans! You must not be from O'side because that war has been going for some time. I agree that there are white gangs in O'side but that is not who the samoans are fighting with. Check out the latest shootings in the back gate area, balcks shooting samoans and samoans shooting blacks. Wake up and stop the shooting! Period! There is no reaon for it! I hope Malo doesn't see the light of day for a long time and maybe it will send a message that we will not stand for this violence in Oceanside anymore!"

Osider wrote on November 06, 2006 11:50 AM:"Justice was served in this case. The jury saw right thru the prosecutions allegations and fabrications of events. I think in some cases, OPD and the State should be charged because of the tactics. Great job well done by the Jury. Next time, they should drive by in a marked car because, that has more of a presence than an unmarked car with black tinted windows. "

TO TO JIMMYS FRIEND AGAIN.. wrote on November 06, 2006 6:40 PM:"YOUR WISHES AGAINST JIMMY NOT SEEING THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN WILL BE SHATTERED WHEN JIMMY IS RELEASED TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS...WE ALL WILL BE LAUGHING IN YOUR FACE WHEN THAT HAPPENS AND IT WILL BE DONE. GUARANTEED! ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE TO SAY WILL BE ASHES IN THE WIND! NUFF SAID!! END OF STORY!!!"

Blessed wrote on November 06, 2006 11:50 PM:"I wonder if you would have had the courage to hug my wife, who would have been widowed. I wonder if you can now look my children in the eye and tell them it's okay, I know daddy almost stayed at work that night, but this animal was protecting his brood. How? By lying in wait in the dead of night, in the darkest piece of the world he could find. Firing on a passing vehicle without thought or remorse as to the recourse of his actions. It just looked like a good time to make some bones. I am disappointed with the outcome of this trial, But I just want you to know I will be there tomorrow night and the night after. Not because of the great pay, or the fabulous benefits. Because it is what I do and I will keep doing it in spite of the bullies and those who victimize the weak. It pains me to bring any form of validation to this forum. But I know the audience herein has ears that have a need to know. I rest easy on a conscience built upon doing the right thing when the wrong thing would be too easy. "

In response to Mr. Bless, wrote on November 07, 2006 7:36 AM:"You wonder if we have courage to hug your widow wife if you had actually been shot & passed? You wonder if we can look your children in their eyes & share encouraging words? You actually think we shoot at others just to have a "good time"? Have YOU ever WONDERED about Mrs. Malo & their 2 children? Have you ever thought about IF Mr. Malo passed w/ the SEVEN bullets that you three detective had wounded him with? Tell me why you think just b/c your a peace officer, you automatically think your the victim? It's sad that your disappointed w/ the outcome of this trial b/c it really shows the character of an Oceanside police officer...lackadaisical!!"

Thank You wrote on November 07, 2006 8:07 AM:"Thank you to blessed. Your comments ring true to me. I wish to thank you for all that you do, and for protecting us from the likes of Jimmy Malo."

to Blessed wrote on November 07, 2006 8:13 AM:"Yes, if you were in the same shoes as Jimmy, i'm sure your wife would get a hug as we have surrounded Jim's wife with love and support. the circumstances and actual facts have not all surfaced. You keep trying to win sympathy for that "AMBUSHED" story.."animal",..."lying in wait..."darkest piece of the world he could find"..didn't the JURY find him INNOCENT on that allegation? lets move on now, don't be a sore LOSER. How long have you been a detective? and can you PLEASE define AMBUSH for me? there is no way that you, or i'm sorry, 'the detectives' ( if you wish to hide your occupation)can honestly say that 'they' were ambushed. And you say it yourself, GREAT PAY and FABULOUS BENEFITS, doesn't seem to be any other reason. And in this case, aren't you the Bully TRYING to victimize the weak? nuff said..."

jimmy'z rep wrote on December 06, 2006 11:42 AM:"WAKE UP AND MIND YAH BUSINEZZ. JIMMY WAS A KOO MAN. OPD KNOWS WHATS GOOD ON THE STREETZ, SO TAKE FORTH WHAT CHU KNOW. IF YOU OPD, THEN LET IT BE KNOWN. YOU AINT GOT TO GO UNDERCOVER TO GET A STORY OUT ON THE MOST WELL KNOWN GANG IN OCEANSIDE. BE REAL. IT WAS A FAMILY THANG, AND IF YOU WOULD OF ASKED ANYONE BEFORE GOIN FORTH, THEN NUTHIN WOULD'VE HAPPENED. ACTUALLY, KNOWING SAMOANS, THEY WOULD HAVE ASKED THE OPD IF THEY WANTED SOMETHING TO EAT. YOU KNOW..."

An Even Better Idea wrote on December 22, 2006 12:14 PM:"Next to the proposed new Police Substation, there should be a new Border Patrol (ICE) Substation. Boy talk about a nervous neighborhood then."

Gold dr
    wrote on December 22, 2006 12:28 PM:"It happens on Gold dr too, both sides of it. One house on the 500 block is where the Samoan gang members all hide out after they fire off their guns."

Stand Up and Fight wrote on December 22, 2006 1:09 PM:"Take the landlords of these slums and hold them accountable. LEts all sue the landlords in small claims court...Just think if we could get 10 people to sue a landlord at 5k a piece, thats a nice incentive to clean up your act. A mojority of the slums in Oceanside, Escondido, and Vista are controlled by greedy slum lords who are not being held accountable. Look at Escondido and the biggest fight for the immigration rentaL Law is being fought by landlords....hmmm must be hitting them in the wallets. ITS TIME FOR LANDLORDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR RENTING TO DRUG DEALERS AND GANG MEMBERS!!!! GREEDY LANDLORDS ARE BRIGGING DOWN THE COMMUNITIES! "

Skip wrote on December 22, 2006 1:32 PM:"I just entered Arthur Ave. and Gold Street in "Google Earth". From a satalite picture it looks like a normal neighborhood. I guess I will have to stop by there tomorrow when I do my shopping at the Camp Pendleton Exchange. Then I will know how relevent these posts are."

It's not just this neighborhood that's nervous wrote on December 22, 2006 2:14 PM:"I don't live in the neighborhood where the shooting of Officer Bessant occurred, but I'm still nervous. Just knowing that creatures like his murderer(s) are out roaming the streets has me very uneasy for the safety of myself, my family, neighbors and friends. God, this town is a mess! No wonder our home values are so much lower than in neighboring cities! Everybody should be sweating this one!"

Concerned wrote on December 22, 2006 3:09 PM:"I too congratulate the brave citizens in the neighborhood that helped. That's what it's going to take."

to skip wrote on December 22, 2006 3:11 PM:"don't drive through there at night, trust born and raised they are relevent. to Gold report that house!!!"

To Stand Up and Fight wrote on December 22, 2006 4:12 PM:"I agree, the landlords/property owners who are renting to gangsters are turning a "blind eye" to the problem they have created in these neighborhoods. "

To Skip wrote on December 22, 2006 4:14 PM:"Don't just drive by...Get out and walk around like around 6pm..stay for a little while and don't form an opinion based on a 30 second drive through the neighborhood. "

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE?? wrote on December 22, 2006 4:24 PM:" What they are doing - Who they hang out with - Hang out with them and not your TV - Don't allow underage drinking no matter what - Stay involved with their school & studies "

I think we all need to be vigilent for ourselves, our family and other people's safety. It is too bad it has come to this. Alot of the people coming here being legal or illegal come from countries where there were civil wars, poverty, communisn, etc and they learned to steal, cheat, in some cases in areas where there was civil war they were taught to kill as young as 11 or 12 years of age. To them it was survival and unfortunately old habits die hard or greed kicks in, in a percentage of them.
    If I see a lone officer on a traffic stop and notice something even a little off, I will slow down or drive by or pull a u turn and go by again. Even if I am in another city or county I will do so as you never know what can happen.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Osider wrote on December 22, 2006 5:39 PM:"To Skip/Outraged-The case you are speaking of is different than this. The officer was a plain sight and in uniform. The case your talking about had the police in an unmarked car driving around like gangbangers even wearing gang colors. So please do not compare these two because your are obviously confused.That jury reviewed the facts and nothing but! This is a very sad story during this time of year and my prayers are with the family in these very difficult times. "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... _21_06.txt

THORNHILL'S VIEW : DECEMBER 22, 2006

FROM THE ARCHIVES:

Gang violence becoming a big issue in Oceanside

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/09 ... _25_04.txt

By: ROB O'DELL - Staff Writer

September 25, 2004

OCEANSIDE ---- Eight killings this year ---- at least three of them gang related. A wave of eight shootings over the last three-plus weeks. Does Oceanside have a crime problem again?

While the numbers pale in comparison to the mid-1990s ---- in 1995, there were 24 murders, including nine gang-related killings ---- the recent spate of shootings has some people in town worried. The city has already equaled the number of homicides for all of 2003.

There are numerous signs that the shootings have captured the attention of city and civic leaders, starting with the city's decision to strictly enforce a 10 p.m. curfew for juveniles under age 18 who are hanging out or loitering on city streets. Moreover, Oceanside police will hold a workshop this week on gangs, and the community has held rallies calling for an end to the violence.

"I believe it's a problem that could become seriously worse if we don't get on top of it," said Dave Shore, an Oceanside lawyer who is active in downtown politics. "I think we are in for a tough time. This is cause for alarm and I think the city has to be very serious about it."

Last Wednesday, more than 200 people rallied in Melba Bishop Park in northeast Oceanside and vowed to take back their streets from gangs. Five local churches staged the rally at dusk, with many of the speakers being drowned out by the roar of the crowd pledging to battle violence with prayer.

"We will take our city back," said Tammy Strakos, who attended the rally. "Gang activity is prevalent in our area. People are taking responsibility for where we live."

The timing of the recent shootings ---- smack in the middle of a contentious political campaign ---- has also raised the ante for public officials struggling to gain control of the problem.

The wave of violence also comes as the city is courting developers to build a downtown resort hotel, which many officials believe is the linchpin to the city's redevelopment plan.

Some are also worried that the violence could damage the progress the city has made since the mid-1990s, when its neighborhood were riddled with gangs and some sarcastically called the town "Oceanslime."

"In fairness, Oceanside has done a lot of things right, Oceanside has made progress." said Shore, a former Chamber of Commerce president. "This is not a good thing for the city of Oceanside. It's bothersome from an image standpoint. If this pattern continues, it could quickly become a campaign issue."

Recent violence

September has not been a good month for law and order in Oceanside.

The shootings began when 19-year-old Jesse Watson was killed on Aug. 31 in the 700 block of Paradise Cove Way. Detectives arrested three people in connection with that shooting

Then on Sept. 3, a man was wounded in the legs during a gang-related, drive-up shooting in the 100 block of South Tropicana Drive. The following day, shots fired into a Tiburon Drive home occupied by known gang members struck one person in the foot

On Sept. 11, 17-year-old El Camino High School football player Chris Fuimaono was wounded in the neck by gunfire as he drove on Mission Avenue. Then a 33-year-old man was shot in a drive-by on Sept. 18 on Concho Place that police believe to be connected to gang activity.

Police said those first five shootings are linked to a feud between rival black and Samoan gangs in the Mesa Margarita area of northeast Oceanside.

In addition, a feud between two Mexican gangs in the Crown Heights and Eastside sections of the city boiled over into two shootings that left one dead and another in critical condition. The first happened on Sept. 19 in an alley north of the 1300 block of Buena Street, and the retaliation shooting happened the next morning at an apartment complex at 415 Grant St.

Police said they have not ruled out the possibility that a sixth shooting in the 2800 block of College Boulevard in the early morning of Sept. 23 is connected to the feud between the rival black and Samoan gangs.

'Criminal enterprises'

Oceanside police Chief Mike Poehlman said the gangs are "criminal enterprises" whose primary focus is crime instead of existing as a social group. He said the black and Samoan gangs near the back gate at Camp Pendleton both sell methamphetamine and cocaine and that the rival Mexican gangs mainly traffic in heroin.

He said each set of gangs fights to control its drug-trafficking operation and that the killings and score-settling spreads out from there. To combat the problem in the short term, he said the Police Department has shifted its resources and beefed up patrols in known gang areas.

Poehlman said the gangs recruit kids who don't find love and discipline at home, and then they fill that void for mostly 11- and 12-year-old kids that become gang members. The problem isn't just germane to Oceanside, he said, noting that Los Angeles and San Diego also have feuding gangs.

"The lure is that (gangs) provide the fabric that is missing from the family," Poehlman said. "This is happening all over the place in Southern California, in San Diego and Los Angeles. Oceanside is not an island in all of this. These gangs are all intertwined."

Battered image?

City officials and business owners are growing concerned that every story involving Oceanside on the television or in the newspaper is about one thing: gangs.

"It's not a good image, that's for sure," said Oceanside Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer David Nydegger.

Nydegger said the chamber has been pushing for years to add put more cops on the street, adding that the chamber supports a parcel tax on all properties in Oceanside to beef up patrols.

Even so, he said, the gang violence won't completely taint the image of the community.

"Oceanside has come too far and is too good to have these things bring us back down," he said. "We're not going to let it happen again."

Others said they didn't feel the gang violence would have much of an effect on economic development, especially in luring a hotel developer to build a beachfront resort across from the Oceanside Municipal Pier.

Ollie Speraw, a former president of the chamber, said he didn't feel the recent shootings would affect economic development, adding that the issue was not "making any waves" in the business community.

Former Carlsbad and Oceanside City Manager John Mamaux said some gang violence simply cannot be prevented.

"You could have Rudy Giuliani as mayor and this stuff would happen," he said.

Political implications

Mayor Terry Johnson has made public safety and the city's economic progress the centerpiece of his re-election campaign for mayor.

In his campaign ads, Johnson even links his election to public office to the decline in the crime rate. His campaign literature graphs the crime rate in Oceanside since 1995, and points out the drops in the crime rate after he was elected to council in 1996 and elected mayor in 2000.

Will the shootings debunk the notion that Johnson has been tough on crime and that his administration have made the city safer? His challengers think so.

"Terry started out making an issue about how the city was safe," said Councilman Rocky Chavez, one of three candidates challenging the mayor. "I think he made it an issue."

Chavez said he would take a "multifaceted" approach, focusing on a crackdown on gangs by police and offering programs to give at-risk youths some hope. He said he wanted to create a permanent gang commission in Oceanside that would meet monthly and be organized like other commissions in Oceanside.

Councilman Jim Wood, who is also running against the mayor, said he felt Johnson has turned crime into a political issue. He said Johnson was in "floundering mode," adding that what the city really needs to do is address the lack of manpower in the Police Department.

Johnson doesn't back off his contention that he helped clean up the city, and vows to fight gangs again. He also chided Wood and Chavez for voting against an advisory measure for November's ballot that would have polled residents to find out if they were willing to pay extra taxes for more police on the streets.

"We wanted to allow the public to make a choice," Johnson said. "That's all we were asking to do and they shot it down."

Johnson said the city is still the third safest city in San Diego County out of the nine cities that have their own police departments, trailing only Coronado and Carlsbad.

"Most people are ecstatic about the way the city is going," he said. " When you look at where we are today as opposed to 1995, we are doing an outstanding job."

Contact staff writer Rob O'Dell at (760) 901-4067 or rodell@nctimes.com.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

james wrote on December 01, 2005 9:02 AM:"i think they should leave gangs in oceanside alone. im a gang member from center street and if you try to stop it its gonna make things worse"

O.G (SamoanBloodz) wrote on February 02, 2006 2:15 AM:"Live da Fobz(Samoans) alone and no one gets hurt do u feel da blood side sole...No palangi e fia fusa..faa aloalo tama samoa.."

Subfighter wrote on February 14, 2006 2:26 PM:"Time to clean out the trash and rid the streets of these dirtbags.."

VALLEY VILLIAN wrote on February 27, 2006 11:52 AM:"HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT THE BLACKS AND SAMOANS ARE FUEDING! THE MEDIA THATS JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT INTO A RACIAL THING JUST BECAUSE THERE A LOT OF SAMOANS FROM THE DEEP VALLEY BLOODS AND A LOY OF BLACKS FROM THE DEEP VALLEY CRIPS DOESN'T MEAN ITS A BLACK AND SAMOAN THING BECAUSE THERES BLACKS,MEXICANS AND ALSO WHITE SUPREMACISTS FORM BOTH GANGS IT'S BLOOD AND CRIP THING "

DAsian wrote on April 14, 2006 4:14 PM:"Why can't you all just get alone? Kids are dying don't you want yours to grow up and have kids and have a good life? what is wrong? "Leave us alone..if you try to stop us.." shows your mentality..are you ignorant?"

Guera wrote on April 20, 2006 10:33 AM:"you should leave the gangs alone. if you try to stop them it's going to get ugly trust me i have family from gangs and i know what that can do. just leave them alone. therefore, if you try to make them get alone.. yeah right. you wish."

sAmoAn RepReSnT (b'z Up) wrote on May 21, 2006 9:55 PM:"I agree wit da rest ov yo leave da samaons alone trust me if u hyp up da samoan community into dis, fings r gona get nasty... trust me coz i've experienced it. So 2 all doze fiapokos owt dea lean bak, kik bak nd do ur own fing coz if u light da fire in a samoans territory dei would jus burn u 2 death"

KRUCIAL wrote on June 22, 2006 10:20 PM:"WASSUP PEPS MAN A JUS WANA SAY DAT GANGS R NO ANSWER 2 NOTHANG A WAS A BLOOD REP BAK N MA DAY N IT JUS LEAD ME ALMOST DEAD NEWAYS A FOUND SUMFING BETTA WEA EVERY1 N RACE GET ALONG DATS GOOD FLIP DIS OGEE 2 A CHRIST KRUMP SOULJAH SO PEPS LEAVE OUT DA GANGS DNT B PROUD N MAKE DAT CHANGE TRUST ME TAKE IT 4RM SUM1 DATS BIN SHOT AT STABBED N EVERTHANG U CAN FINK GOD BLESS"

jose wrote on June 23, 2006 2:33 PM:"iam a member from vpls i think "

nunofyrbizniz wrote on July 30, 2006 1:21 PM:"Violence is rediculous. Why must you shoot, loot and destroy property to be part of a group (gang)? What does that prove? That you are a bunch of ingrates with no social conscious? How useless. Get a life."

Keep The Peace wrote on September 13, 2006 1:22 PM:".....Dont chu know your parents taught u better than to gang bang and kill one another over something so not worth taking someones life. I dont get it. Half of you gang bang to the fullest, and then end up in church every Sunday morning listening to your elders with all due respect. What is wrong with you people? Soon you will all realize that this is just a phase and that violence is not the answer and if you have children of your own...Lord behold! Can you imagine what you put your parents through? You gots to grow up now and think about the future for you and your family. Too many innocent bystanders are dying. Your brothers, your sisters, close friends, stop the violence before your own life stops it for you! And let me tell you sweetie, gang bangin is not the way to go! It does nothing for you but get you killed or caught up and once you realize it.....its a life or a case too late!! That so called family is not your real family when the ... hits the fan...believe that! You want status and recognition...get a dayum job and earn that paper like every1 else in the real world partna!! Take care yourselves!"

It is bad in Miami as well. There have been alot of senseless shootings lately. The problem is these kids want to belong and if they feel they don't then often they join gangs. Many women are materialistic so they will stay with their gang member boyfriend as they take them out to places others can't afford and give them gifts of stolen jewelry. Many of these women become murder victims in drivebys like the one a few blocks from me. She was sitting in her boyfriends car in the driver's seat and was killed at 2:50 am on Sunday morning. She was only 17. Earlier this year there was a woman whose boyfriend showed up to see their child. A gang member from another gang openned fire and killed the 18 month old child and wounded a neighbor who happened to be standing outside.
    This has got to stop but is difficult to do. As soon as you catch some gang members you have others filling their shoes. Gangs need to be made less glamerous by the media and parent(s) need to take time for their children and know who their friends are.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast