Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pelosi To Block Trump's SOTU Address Despite Government Reopening

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pelosi To Block Trump's SOTU Address Despite Government Reopening

Pelosi To Block Trump's SOTU Address Despite Government Reopening

An aide to the speaker confirmed as much to CNN...

Sun, 01/27/2019 - 14:50
    2.8K SHARES

In a move that's sure to infuriate President Trump and likely impede negotiations over the border security funding that Trump has demanded be part of any permanent plan to avert another shutdown, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is still planning to postpone the State of the Union by refusing to officially invite the president to give the annual speech on Tuesday.

Asked about the SOTU, Pelosi said after a deal to end the shutdown had been reached that she and the president would discuss holding the SOTU once the government had reopened, a cryptic response that many interpreted as meaning that the speech would be postponed, according to USA Today.
    "What I said to the president is when the government is opened we will discuss a mutually agreeable date," Pelosi said, adding "I'll look forward to doing that" and welcoming Trump in the House chambers when that is done.
    Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, later affirmed that the speech wouldn't be happening on 1/29. And on Sunday, CNN's Jim Sciutto reported that an aide to Pelosi had anonymously confirmed that the House wouldn't consider the concurrent resolution that must be passed to officially invite the president to House chambers, where the speech has traditionally been held.

Jim Sciutto @jimsciutto

New: Pelosi aide confirms SOTU will not take place this Tuesday. No information about when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi might invite President Trump to deliver the address, CNN reporting.

9:16 AM - Jan 27, 2019

For his part, Trump has said that he wouldn't look for an alternative venue for the speech. On Jan. 23, he tweeted that no venue would match the "history, tradition and historic importance of the House Chamber".

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an....

11:12 PM - Jan 23, 2019

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

....alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a “great” State of the Union Address in the near future!

11:18 PM - Jan 23, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

49.8K people are talking about this

We imagine we'll be hearing more from Trump on this very sensitive subject in the near future.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ment-reopening
    If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... and brother its starting to rain. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If I were the President, I would deliver the state of the union in writing to the US House of Representatives on Tuesday according to the Constitution, and move on to fix the country. The whole event has been ruined and I for one don't want a camera on Pelosi scowling in the background. I know I won't watch it as much as I would want to hear the speech, I want more to never have to look at Pelosi and all these other ugly DemoQuacks again.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn