Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Pesticides on Produce

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I am looking forward to our Farmer's Market to start back up. A lot of Amish growers here. Wonderful fresh tomatoes, turnips, greens, beets, green beans, squash, little potatoes...yummy!

They come to the Mall every week. And have several stands in the area. Now...if I could get fresh fish.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I am looking forward to our Farmer's Market to start back up. A lot of Amish growers here. Wonderful fresh tomatoes, turnips, greens, beets, green beans, squash, little potatoes...yummy!

They come to the Mall every week. And have several stands in the area. Now...if I could get fresh fish.
    The Dangers of Farmed Fish

Dr. Axe on Facebook484 Dr. Axe on Twitter46 Dr. Axe on Pintrest99 Share on EmailPrint Article

You may have heard that eating fish is a healthy option. That’s a true statement, but in most cases today, it’s only a partially true statement. The reality of where our fish come from is of paramount importance for our health! There is a vast difference between wild caught fish and farmed fish. Fish farms produce supermarket protein with high concentrations of antibiotics, pesticides and lower levels of healthy nutrients.

Research has found that farmed fish have less usable omega-3 fatty acids than wild-caught fish, and a 20 percent lower protein content. A USDA review confirmed these findings. Farmed fish are fattier and have a high concentration of omega-6 fatty acids. Imbalances in the levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids create inflammation in the body.

7 Dangers of Farmed Fish

1. Antibiotics

Farm-raised fish are given antibiotics to stave off disease that results from crowded conditions. As a result of eating large quantities of antibiotic-filled meat and fish, however, diseases are becoming resistant to antibiotic treatment.

In the United States alone, 2 million people are infected with drug-resistant superbugs, and these superbugs kill at least 23,000 each year. (1) Tuberculosis, gonorrhea and pneumonia are three examples of illness that can now survive antibiotic treatment.

2. Pesticides

Fish farmers also treat their fish with pesticides to combat sea lice. Sea lice from fish farms kill up to 95 percent of migrating juvenile wild salmon. (2) The pesticides used to treat sea lice in fish farms circulate throughout the ocean. Pesticides that have been banned for decades have concentrated in the fat of various marine life.

This fat is used in the feed that fish farms use, and studies by the Environmental Working Group, along with those done in Canada, Ireland and the UK, have found that cancer-causing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) exist in farm-raised salmon at 16 times the rate of wild salmon. (3)

3. Dibutyltin

Dibutyltin is a chemical used in PVC plastics. Dibutyltin can interfere with normal immune responses and inflammation control in both animals and humans. A 2008 study found that dibutyltin may be contributing to the rise of allergies, asthma, obesity and other metabolic and immune disorders in humans. (4) Scientists have found that dibutyltin in farm-raised mussels is more than six times higher than that of wild mussels.

4. Polybrominated Diphenyl

Researchers have also found levels of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE), a chemical used as a flame retardant, in high levels in farm-raised fish. PBDEs are endocrine disruptors that are thought to contribute to cancer. Scientists believe that both fish feed and increasing concentrations in the open oceans are contributing to high PBDE levels in fish and humans.

5. Dioxins

Another study, conducted at the University of New York at Albany found that dioxin levels in farm-raised salmon are 11 times higher than those in wild salmon. (5)

Dioxins are one of the “dirty dozen,” says the World Health Organization (WHO) because they are highly toxic and are stored for a long time in the body. Their half-life in fat cells is seven to 11 years. (6)

Dioxins impair the endocrine, immune, nervous and reproductive systems and are carcinogens.

6. Canthaxanthin

Canthaxanthin is a synthetic pigment that is used to add a pink color to farm-raised salmon. Wild salmon get their color naturally by feeding on krill. Canthaxanthin is a compound found in sunless tanning pills. Studies have found that canthaxanthin can affect pigments in the retina of the eye, leading to a ban of its use in the UK — but not the U.S.

7. Harming the Environment

University of British Columbia professor Daniel Pauly calls aquafarms “floating pig farms” because tremendous amounts of fish feed and fish waste accumulate on the seafloor because of them, creating a perfect breeding ground for bacteria that threaten other marine life. (7)

Researchers from the George Mateljan Foundation say that “a good sized salmon farm produces an amount of excrement equivalent to the sewage of a city of 10,000 people.”

Fish farms threaten other sea life in other ways too. Fish farms don’t really combat overfishing; they contribute to it. Salmon, for instance, are carnivores. It takes about 2 ˝ to 4 pounds of other fish to create the salmon chow needed to produce 1 pound of farm-raised salmon. The overfishing of wild sardines, anchovies, mackerel, herring and other fish upsets natural ecosystems. “We are not taking strain off wild fisheries,” says agricultural economist Rosamond L. Naylor. “We are adding to it. This cannot be sustained forever.”

Many scientists also worry about the dwindling biodiversity of fish. The wide variety of fish and other species and their genetic make-ups makes the food supply more sustainable. Diversity equals survival. About 1 million farm-raised salmon have escaped from holes in nets from farms in the Puget Sound alone. (8) Biologists fear that farm-fish escapees may out-compete wild fish for food and territory, contributing to the demise of many fish species.

Interbreeding between escaped fish and wild may also dilute the wild salmon gene pool. Drugs that could reduce farmed-fish growing times have also begun to arise. These drugs alter genes in fish so that they grow six times faster than normal fish, increasing the danger that wild species will be overcome.

Benefits of Wild-Caught Fish

This information is certainly sobering and should be enough to convince you to stay away from conventional farmed fish. These practices are even affecting the population of fish in the wild.
    That’s why I don’t recommend eating fish – even wild-caught fish – on a daily basis. But the health benefits of certain wild caught fish like salmon just can’t be ignored.

Wild-caught salmon is very high in omega-3 fatty acids. These fats are known as essential fatty acids. Our bodies don’t produce them, so we must obtain them through our food. Wild-caught salmon also has a healthy balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. When you have too many omega-6 fatty acids in your body, inflammation occurs.

Cold water fish such as salmon are a good source of vitamin D – an extremely important nutrient that is essential for a wide variety of bodily functions. The sun is your best source of vitamin D, but since most people don’t get enough sun in the winter months, wild-caught salmon is a great way to add more of it into your diet.

Also found in wild-caught salmon are healthy protein, selenium, niacin, vitamin B12, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin B6.

https://draxe.com/the-dangers-of-farmed-fish/

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Very unfortunate situation and the public is kept in the dark for the most part. If you live near an ocean, fresh caught fish is usually available. Have found some local fish stores or supermarkets that have a selection suitable to eat. Shop sales too - they have to move fish quickly.

Whole foods brand of albacore tuna are in BPA free cans. There is also Wild Planet, & another brand forget the name that states sustainably fished. Add my own olive oil for better taste. Olive oil is very good for you.

Shoprite supermarket often carries wild caught salmon at a decent price, much better than the fish stores, they also have an organic Norway farmed salmon which means they do not get antibiotics or contaminated feed. Believe Norway has a good system for farmed salmon. They also have frozen 2lb packages of Argentinian wild shrimp which is excellent. Makes no sense to buy wild shrimp from our Gulf coast due to prior oil spills. Definitely do not buy anything that says product of china even if it is called Alaska wild salmon.

Trader Joe has a good assortment of frozen fish and reasonably priced. Convenient & handy: breaded halibut, cod fish, pollock fish sticks, very convenient for microwaving and the ingredient list contains nothing egregious. Their canned tuna & wild salmon are in BPA free cans also.

Organic farmed mussels are on the good list, not expensive, but haven't gotten @ to attempt cooking them. Never buy canned tomato sauce or any acidic product in cans - go for glass bottled. Absorbs a lot of BPA from cans.

more info online -
    https://draxe.com/fish-you-should-never-eat/

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/healthy-fish

Damn, I never knew that about the tomato sauce. Would that apply to stewed tomatoes as well? Oh geez, I live on those. UGH!!

Sigh, I so miss my mom's home grown home canned tomatoes in the Ball jars. I've never seen stewed tomatoes in the jars. I'll start looking though, maybe have to use fresh tomatoes and make my own, oh geez, you have to peel them, what a mess. Oh good lord, what has this world come to.
    Last edited by Judy; 04-13-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That is why we need even better regulations. The industry is running it for their profit advantage. Keeping people in the dark is the goal. Our oceans, rivers, lakes, streams do not need to be unregulated to allow more toxins to be deposited from ANY industry.

The Delaware River today is a big blue, beautiful clean river - up until the 80's it was unsafe, murky, smelled like rotten eggs due to hundred years of industries along the river just dumping their toxins into it - like it was their right. In reading books written @ pre 1900s, the saying was, "One could walk across the river to New Jersey on the backs of shads". Thankfully the environmental movement has cleaned it up and the river's eco-system is starting to return from falcons, eagles, to water species and even a few shad fish. Why would we want to go backwards for industries' extra profits? It is never enough $$ with them.

Seafood is a major food source for many people & they have a right to this food source over industry profits. It is easily digestible, doesn't sit in your intestines for days like pork, beef allowing more of a chance for toxins to be absorbed into your system - it is decaying, bacteria filled meat. Also why you need good bacteria to squash the bad ones. Probiotics, kefir, unheated saurkraut, w/o sodium benzoate additive, adds good flora. Heat kills good bacteria. One can make from cabbage. carrots, beets, just @ any vegetable, a probiotic food. Distilled water, salt, veggies, tightly lidded jar. You can also use Braggs organic apple cider vinegar in your salads & food which has probiotics within. Big Pharma and American Medical Assoc really would rather you not know all that too. God forbid they should have less doctor visits, less RX written or hospital stays.

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    The Dangers of Farmed Fish
    If you see how sausage is made...

Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    Very unfortunate situation and the public is kept in the dark for the most part. If you live near an ocean, fresh caught fish is usually available.
    I don't know. Fishing off of a pier, in Southern California, They tell you not to eat the fish. All of the sewage and chemicals hangs near the shore. So deep sea fishing would seem safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Sigh, I so miss my mom's home grown home canned tomatoes in the Ball jars. I've never seen stewed tomatoes in the jars.
    Use to be everything was in glass. Milk bottles were recycled. Not anymore. And just about every other type container is hazardous.

I have my own dilemmas. One of my doctors says my vitamin D is very low. But my other doctor says I have to keep my vitamin D low. And of course, yet another doctor says I should stay out of the sun. Of course, I'm not an outdoor person anyway.

Until last September, tomato products were poison to me, along with several other supposedly good foods, like bananas and potatoes. Now that my treatment has changed, they want me to eat potatoes, bananas and tomatoes.

Vitamin C is poison, as are multivitamins. So I have to take special prescription vitamins. I'm now a label reader, but many of the chemicals I'm supposed to stay away from are not listed. My dietician has to look them up for me.

One of my favorite mainstays was cheese. One of my doctors noted that cheese can legally be about 50% sawdust and still be called cheese.

Obesity and many other afflictions are most likely caused by all the additives that make food grow faster, as well as us.

I met with my doctor, nurse, and dietician this morning and I mentioned this. One of them pointed out that Monsanto wanted to go GMO in Hawaii and Hawaii said no.

And remember that now coffee is a carcinogen, according to California. We're doomed!

Safety of consuming locally caught fish greatly depends on where you live and how much pollution is being tolerated locally.

Doctors will send you into a spin - they really are not educated in natural medicines or vitamins for that matter.

The source of your vitamins is important - you do not want Vitamin C made from gmo corn nor from a china source. Cheap supplements are loaded with bad additives. Read the labels - google it. It is time consuming to research companies and ask them where they are acquiring their products' ingredients. But if you can get a source for clean foods, supplements you can get on a good course.

Lot has to do with your genes too, your air quality, your indoor air quality. Anti-oxidants are very important - anything ending in berry is loaded with anti-oxidants IF NOT SPRAYED WITH CHEMICALS. Fermented foods as mentioned before and plain kefir, drinkable much more potent than yogurt boosts your immunity. 80% of your immunity is in your gut.

Fire retardant materials are killers - used to be mandatory for furniture, rugs too. Scotchguard, a killer. Stain repellent apparel the same. Back to nature and keep nature clean, let the eco-system prevail and make our food sources clean by law.

Ca with coffee? - pays to stay away from cheap coffee. Barbecued meats is a huge carcinogen as is bacon, lunch meats with nitrates. Sorry but it is. Coffee has big health advantages in liver cleansing - a master organ, anti-oxidants, anti-alzheimers too.
    Last edited by artist; 04-13-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12