ROYCE APPLAUDS SAVE ACT INTRODUCTION; BORDER SECURITY IS LONG OVERDUE

States News Service
July 23, 2009 Thursday
WASHINGTON, D.C.

The following information was released by the office of California Rep. Ed Royce:

Today, Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) applauded Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) for reintroducing the Secure America through Verification and Enforcement (SAVE) Act . Royce, an original cosponsor of the legislation in the 110th Congress, issued the following statement:

"I applaud Rep. Shuler's efforts and I am pleased to be an original cosponsor of the legislation this year. Illegal immigration remains to be one of the biggest concerns for my constituents in the 40th district and they want to see action on this issue," Royce said.

The SAVE Act is a three-point plan to reduce illegal immigration. This legislation will help secure America's borders, implement mandatory work authorization verification, and reduce illegal immigration through interior enforcement. It will help to restore the integrity of our nation's borders and reestablish respect for our immigration laws

The bill increases Border Patrol agents by 6,000 and utilizes new technology to secure the border. It closes the existing loopholes in E-Verify to stop multiple people using the same Social Security number and to detect people using stolen identities. And it provides state and local law enforcement the tools they need to enforce immigration laws and expedites the removal of illegal aliens.

"This legislation provides a sensible solution to the problems brought on by illegal immigration that are disproportionately affecting our state. It is costing California taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars a year for medical care, education, and incarceration," Royce said.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 8&start=14