Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sessions: Opposing View: A Confirmation Conversation

Opposing view: A confirmation conversion

Nominee lacks deep convictions needed to resist judicial activism.
    By Jeff Sessions

Elections have consequences: President Obama's first nominee to the Supreme Court, Judge Sonia Sotomayor, will likely be confirmed.

But supporters of liberal judicial philosophy might find it a Pyrrhic victory. During three days of careful questioning, Judge Sotomayor renounced the pillars of activist thinking.

She rejected the president's "empathy standard," abandoned her statements that a judge's "opinions, sympathies and prejudices" may guide decision-making, dismissed remarks that personal experiences should "affect the facts that judges choose to see," brushed aside her repeated "wise Latina" comment as "a rhetorical flourish," and championed judicial restraint.

Judge Sotomayor's attempt to rebrand her previously stated judicial approach was, as one editorial page opined, "uncomfortably close to disingenuous."

Why not defend the philosophy she had articulated so carefully over the years?

Because the American people overwhelmingly reject the notion that unelected judges should set policy or allow their social, moral, or political views to influence the outcome of cases. Rather, the public wants and expects restrained courts, tethered to the Constitution, and judges who impartially apply the law to the facts.

In the end, her testimony served as a repudiation of judicial activism.

But pledging "fidelity to the law" and practicing judicial restraint are different things. Which Sotomayor will we get?

At the hearings, which were praised for their substance and respectful tone, we looked closely at the record:

-- Her 2006 private property decision permitted the government to take property from one developer and give it to another.

-- Her 2008 Ricci decision allowed a city to discriminate against one group of firefighters because of their race. That ruling was recently reversed by the Supreme Court.

-- Her 2009 Second Amendment decision would give states the power to ban firearms.

These rulings have three things in common. Each was contrary to the Constitution. Each was decided in a brief opinion, short on analysis. And each was consistent with liberal political thought.

I don't believe that Judge Sotomayor has the deep-rooted convictions necessary to resist the siren call of judicial activism. She has evoked its mantra too often. As someone who cares deeply about our great heritage of law, I must withhold my consent.

Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama is the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Posted at 12:21 AM/ET, July 27, 2009 in USA TODAY editorial Permalink

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/07/ ... ssion.html

USA TODAY welcomes your views and encourages lively -- but civil -- discussions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jeff Sessions as POTUS?

Just sayin'..........
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Jeff Sessions as POTUS?

Just sayin'..........
    Just sayin' I would be fine with that!

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Jeff Sessions as POTUS?

Just sayin'..........

Just sayin' I would be fine with that!

Well then......we should work on it NB

Do you think Sessions knows he's running yet in 2012 AZW?

I like it! Sessions for prez, and Ron Paul for veep. They both speak a lot of truths with no political taint, but just the realities.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Do you think Sessions knows he's running yet in 2012 AZW?

Ummmmm.........well. No.

Unless, of course, he does know it and just hasn't let the rest of us in on it yet

Maybe he reads here at Alipac?

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    I like it! Sessions for prez, and Ron Paul for veep. They both speak a lot of truths with no political taint, but just the realities.

My thoughts also V.

As I remarked in another thread.......one of the things I admire about JS is his approach in dealing with the cumulative issues plaguing this country and working to change each of those issues.

He isn't focused on just one issue and I believe that's the right direction to be headed in because the problems we now face are many.....all seperate, but also intertwined resulting in this tangled mess we're in.

I also think that, as I stated in the other topic, JS would command a return to government per the Constitution, demand that those elected to office uphold their oaths of office, and move us in a direction where those in government are held responsible for their crimes.

JS could really set us back on the right track, IMO.

Yeah Ron Paul Second in Command Sounds Great.

I just checked Sessions' grades on NumbersUSA and they give him an A+ in all voting categories, both past and current votes.

Also, unlike some RINOs like Grahamnesty, Sessions didn't just ask Sotomayor tough questions in front of the camera, then vote in favor of her nomination anyway.

Hmmm....

But we have to get through the 2010 midterm elections first, and frankly they are arguably as important. Obama will not be able to do nearly as much damage without a majority of liberal Dems in Congress.

(Though we have to watch him like a hawk, because he has managed to do damage just with his defacto policies within his admin without going through Congress - i.e. his defacto amnesty policies.)
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast