Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Smokers, drinkers to carry tax burden

my cigars, beer, wine, and chips But gee wizz, I still go to a fitness center at least 3 times a week to try to stay somewhat healthy.

Smokers, drinkers to carry tax burden?

If you make big bucks — or enjoy alcohol, cigarettes and Coke — the government might hit you up to pay for fixing the nation’s health care system.

On Tuesday, the Senate Finance Committee peeked into vending machines and liquor stores, company payrolls and health savings accounts, looking for a mix of tax increases and spending cuts as a way to pay for a health overhaul — which could cost more than $1.5 trillion over 10 years.

Experts thought the big debate might be public plan vs. no public plan. But that may well pale in comparison to the difficulty of settling on a way to finance health care reform.

“I wish there were a number of painless options,â€

I just wonder if they tax me for my sodas and such for health care for all, if I get the tax removed from the cigarettes for the children? Then since I smoke and drink sodas, you can bet I'll be the first to be refused treatment for my evil ways.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE

I'll just stock up on the Coke like we are on the light bulbs.......

I can bet the soda giants are fighting this one.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

I can just see Pepsi being smuggled in from Mexico LOL!

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    I can just see Pepsi being smuggled in from Mexico LOL!

LOOOOLLL!!!!

Pepsi!! Que Sabor!!!

But I wonder. If they are losing tax money because pepsi is being smuggled in over the border....THEN WILL THEY FINALLY CLOSE THE BORDER?

ELE

Save money stop paying for illegals health care.

I don't drink alcohol or soft drinks. And I'm a non-smoker and exercise 3-4 times per week, and don't eat meat and my diet is healthy (with the exception of consuming the occasional cookie). However, I don't support taxing Americans that enjoy these vices.

If the government really wants to save money, stop paying for the illegals and their Anchors, health care. It's really very simple.

PS
    It is an oxymoron that our government lectures us about living a healthy life style when they are doing all they can to pass a bill that would make it virtually impossible for us to eat organic home grown foods. Isn’t eating well part of living a healthy lifestyle? We all know that Monsanto has some friends in high places that want the American people to be forced to eat their overly processed foods. And too, if we grow our own foods, Monsanto might loss lots of money and our government won’t have control over us.

How about throwing a nice hefty tax / tariff on all imported goods that used to be made HERE by Americans in factories with employers who provided quality, affordable health coverage for employees. Remember those days anyone? Back when the employer, the insurance company, the doctor or hospital, and the employee ALL tried to do the right thing. Before EVERYONE got so darn greedy....

I don't smoke, but I don't believe in taxing cigarettes like the state and federal governments are doing. I think there's also a new ban on smoking in restaurants and bars here in NC. Well, let's ban perfumes and colognes. Some of those odors are extremely offensive and overpowering to some of us. Some odors even trigger migranes- let's ban those as well. Or better yet, slap a HUGE TAX on perfumes and colognes! Makes as much sense as taxing soft drinks, right?

AE

Now I live in the Northwest and the one thing they best NEVER touch is my coffee!!

“In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€