Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Study: Half of U.S. kids will receive food stamps

Study: Half of U.S. kids will receive food stamps
    Updated 33m ago
    By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY

Half of American kids will live in households receiving food stamps before age 20, according to a study reported Monday in Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.

Although one in five children rely on food stamps for years, many more live in families who turn to food stamps during a short-term crisis, says author Mark Rank of Washington University in St. Louis. He analyzed 30 years of data from the University of Michigan's Panel Study of Income Dynamics survey.

RETAILERS: Costco to accept food stamps nationwide
    VIDEO: Healthy breakfast on $1
    HEALTHY LUNCH: On just $2

"This is what children can expect over a period of time, not just during a recession," Rank says. "It shows that the period of childhood, rather than a period of safety and security, is really a time, for a lot of kids, of economic turmoil and risk."

Rank says his study, the first of its kind, may underestimate how many families struggle with grocery bills. Only about 67% of people who are eligible for food stamps actually receive them, the Department of Agriculture says.

Good nutrition in childhood is crucial, doctors say.

Nutritional programs such as food stamps — officially known as the USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — improve children's health and help them do better in school, says James Weill of the advocacy group Food Research and Action Center, who wasn't involved in the new study.

More than 35.8 million Americans used food stamps in July — nearly 6.8 million more than a year earlier, Weill's group says. About half of food stamp recipients are children, Rank says.

"There is a large pool of people who are poor or who are living close to poverty at any given time," Weill says. "People don't like talking about it. They don't tell their neighbors, 'I was on food stamps 10 years ago.' "

Robert Rector of the Heritage Foundation, a Washington think tank, says the study design and survey data are solid. But he says the findings are neither surprising nor troubling.

"That's effectively like saying that at some point in a 20-year period, a parent would be unemployed for a month or so," Rector says.

"There's no evidence that even consistent poverty in the U.S. produces a nutritional risk," he says, noting that rich and poor children tend to have about the same intake of protein, vitamins and minerals

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... amps_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How many of these kids are anchor babies who's food stamps go to feed their illegal alien parents?
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good question, JD2. While papa is sending remittances to Mexico or Latin America, pregnant mama and the three munchkins are paying for food with stamps. And I often wonder if papa doesn't save some cash for beer, wine and cigs -- after all the anchor babies are our responsibility.
    And one day, waiting in the grocery line with mama and munchkins, papa drove around the pick them up with a brand-new, expensive Lexus SUV. Took me a while to calm down before I started driving.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hear ya vortex, pisses me off too. The problem is the way welfare offices operate. If you're a US citizen with a valid SS#, you have to provide proof of income. If you're an illegal alien with no SS#, very few questions asked. That's the only way papa can drive an expensive SUV while making minimum wage.

Something had better change and quick.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

What makes me really crazy is so often in the parking lot there is one guy who drives up in a shiny new truck, and then another guy in a shiny SUV gets out and gets into the truck, and there are usually a couple cop cars right around the area. There are teenager girls in heavy makeup and hot pants strolling around and visiting the stores.
    The cops can't do a dang thing, even though we have 287(g). There is no evidence that any of these people are committing any sort of crime.

I remember a story earlier this year that 50% of young school kids - don't remember if it was kindergardeners - are 'hispanic'. That explains the heavy sponging off of the govertment teat.
    WHERE'S THE <u>REAL</u> BIRTH CERTIFICATE, Barry? I still question your citizenship.

It's not just hispanics/latinos, it's russians, irish, italian, somalis, etc that are also here illegally. Native born Americans of all ethnicities do this too. It's too easy to rip off the system.

Anyone collecting food stamps or any free taxpayer funded benefits should NOT be driving brand new cars or SUVS. If they have that kind of ride, they should not be needing food stamps or any freebies, they can well afford to pay for them with their own money.

That's the problem.
    "

Local school expecting 50 percent Hispanic enrollment . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanDescendant
    I remember a story earlier this year that 50% of young school kids - don't remember if it was kindergardeners - are 'hispanic'. That explains the heavy sponging off of the govertment teat.
    Aug 5, 2009

Local school expecting 50 percent Hispanic enrollment

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009 ... -hispanic/
    NO AMNESTY

I know I read that 43% of college students are also on food stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    I know I read that 43% of college students are also on food stamps.
    Food Stamp Facts

Anyone can apply for food stamps.

To get food stamps, you and the other people in ... Some college students also may be eligible... and for those who receive government payments such as Social Security or SSI because ...

www.ssa.gov/pubs/10101.html
    NO AMNESTY