There was no Military Coup

U.S. Supporting Communist Takeover of Honduras

By Alan Caruba
Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I could probably make some money if I bet most people they could not tell me where Honduras is and which nations it borders.

It is in the Central American region of nations between Mexico and the Panama Canal. It is bordered by Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua.

There’s been attention paid to Honduras because its former president, Manuel Zelaya tried to do an end-run around its constitution to become the same kind of president-for-life as Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. Chavez, whose hero is Fidel Castro, is a flat-out Communist and, of course, he is supporting Zelaya’s return to power.

There was no Military Coup

Zelaya was arrested on June 28 by the Honduras military on the orders of its supreme court that had found him guilty of violating the constitution. The arrest also had the approval of the Honduran congress. This was not a military coup or overthrow as the U.S. State Department would like people to believe. Zelaya was arrested and flown to Costa Rica. He was replaced by Roberto Micheletti, a member of his own party.

The Economist reports that “In opinion polls 60%-70% of those who express an opinion say they do not object to Mr. Zelaya’s removal.â€