In recent years Coleman has been an outspoken opponent of man-made global warming. He called it a "scam" and said it was "a threat to our economy and our civilization."
John Coleman, a TV weatherman for more than 60 years, including the last 20 at KUSI Channel 9/51, has decided to retire.

The station planned to announce Coleman's decision on its 6 p.m. news Thursday, at which time it would air a retrospective of his career.

Coleman, 79, currently is on vacation. He notified the station he is retiring immediately, so there will be no farewell appearance. Late in the afternoon, after the news broke of his decision, Coleman tweeted: "On the beach and I did it my way No speeches. Just out the door. LIG"

Known for his trademark "K-uuuuuuuuuuu-S-I" exclamation, Coleman wrote a farewell letter to his KUSI colleagues titled "THANK YOU AND GOOD BYE." He wrote, in part, "now is the time for me to wind down the professional, working part of ... my life and make the most of my private time in the years I have left."

He went on to thank his employers, his co-workers and, "Most of all, thank you to the San Diego television viewers who have been kind enough to watch me and support my efforts through thick and thin. I owe everything to you."

Coleman, a native of Texas, began his career in 1953 at WCIA in Champaign, Ill., where he was a student at the University of Illinois. He went on to work at stations in Peoria, Ill., Omaha, Neb., Milwaukee, and Chicago before becoming the original weatherman on ABC's "Good Morning America."

In the early 1980s, Coleman helped establish The Weather Channel, serving as CEO and president during the first year of operation. He joined KUSI 20 years ago last week in what he called his "retirement job."

Paul Rudy, KUSI's sports director, said having a "bona fide national talent" working at an independent local station was "like a statistical Halley's Comet."

Added Rudy: "He's not the face of KUSI-TV; he's the face of San Diego TV for the past two decades. And it's been my great honor to ride shotgun for a big chunk of that."

In recent years Coleman has been an outspoken opponent of man-made global warming. He called it a "scam" and said it was "a threat to our economy and our civilization."

http://www.alipac.us/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=19