Page 172 of 830 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272672 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 8291
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Phil Burns from Meet the Preppers on Animal Planet Discusses the Show

by Phil Burns

February 20, 2012

It has been an interesting 48 hours for all of us who were in Meet the Preppers, namely my family, watching the responses has been educational and enlightening – and frustrating and unsettling.

Phil Burns Intro

But let’s start with an introduction – I’m Phil Burns, the father of 8 on Meet the Preppers. I’m a co-owner of The American Preppers Network and one of the original founders of Utah Preppers in 2008, which was started before the APN. I’ve been involved with the American Preppers Network since it was founded, I have a weekly podcast on Prepping, and have around 80 youtube videos on Prepping and related topics. I’ve also had several articles published, most recently in Survivalist magazine.

And I’ve seen people stating that I know nothing about Prepping and that I’m a fake. I’ll let you decide, you can read all the specific details about me here. Meanwhile, I’d like to give you a bit of history about how the show came to be.

Meet the Preppers Background

I was contacted by a production company who represented Animal Planet over a year ago. They had been commissioned by Animal Planet to put together a show on Emergency Preparedness because Animal Planet is working on adjusting their brand to feature humans as animals – hence their new slogan “Surprisingly Human”. They had some crazy ideas about how to portray Preppers and I began educating them.

After we had put together a couple treatments with some reasonable ideas, we selected one and filmed our first demo. It was about this time that I began receiving calls from Doomsday Preppers on National Geographic asking me if I was interested in being in their pilot. I really didn’t like the Doomsday Preppers production company’s ideas and tried to help guide them to a better format. What they have now is much better than what they originally had in mind, but I’m still not a fan of it.

Animal Planet watched our first demo and asked us to make some changes, they did the same thing after we showed them the second demo. They liked the third demo much better and asked for some adjustments for the pilot. What aired as “Meet the Preppers” on Saturday took over a year to put together and required a lot of hard work and back and forth.

Phil’s Objective with “Meet the Preppers”

As I helped with the creative work and moved forward with this project, I had one goal in mind for the show: to bring Prepping into mainstream homes and help open their minds to the possibilities of getting prepared.

This show is not about teaching you more about survival if you’re a survivalist. It’s not even about teaching you about hardcore Prepping if you’re a Prepper (although I do believe you’ll get some things out of each episode). The show is geared towards the non-Prepper and non-Survivalist with the intent of showing them some things that mainstream people are at risk for every single day – and show them some new ideas and possibilities that could serve them in those areas – and hopefully lead them towards more of a Prepper mindset.

(please note, this is Phil’s objective – NOT Animal Planet’s, but this is where I’ve been exerting whatever influence I have on the creative process)

Overview of “My Pink Pistol”

The pilot that aired is called “Meet the Preppers: My Pink Pistol” and we cover a lot of topics.

The primary theme in this episode was to introduce Gibson, my 10 year old daughter and show “prepping” from her perspective. NONE of her lines were scripted or fed to her, everything she said was said in interviews on her own, my wife and I were not in the house during the kids taping. Gibson approaches us in the beginning of the show and makes a potential deal with us about a cell phone versus a gun – specifically a pink .22.

For the first half of the show, we’re introducing the family, introducing some of the ideas behind Prepping and setting up some of the activities for the rest of the episode. I suggest to my wife that due to some recent kidnappings in our area that it might be useful to freshen up the kids anti-kidnapping skills and put them through a drill. She disagrees with me and we move on to some other things at the house. Later we take the kids to the water park and run a situational awareness drill on them – they fail, disguised (poorly) as a stranger, I’m able to separate the kids from their mom. This helps convince my wife that putting the kids through a kidnapping field exercise isn’t such a bad idea. So we do.

Feedback about Meet the Preppers and Phil’s Viewpoint

So I’ve seen LOTS of different responses all over the internet, some of them have been good feedback and have given me ideas to help improve the show. Others have been snarky, arrogant and very close-minded while others have just been libs complaining about guns.

“Phil puts his kids through a traumatic kidnapping experience which is stupid”

Seriously, you think it was traumatic? Let’s just get that part out of the way. By the time we filmed that part, the kids had been on set for 3 weeks filming every day. During that time we filmed multiple drills, events, hikes, outings, cooking, family meetings, you name it. They only used less than 1/10th of what we filmed in this episode.

So, look at the kidnapping scene. If YOU see the girls on camera, at the least there is a cameraman, likely a sound person, at night a lighting person, probably a producer at a bare minimum. In this case, there were 3 cameramen, 2 sound guys, a producer and a production assistant with the girls. They are suddenly grabbed from behind and someone starts running – they thought is was a GAME. They thought one of their uncles, me, or someone in production was playing with them. When they were grabbed “this is a drill” was whispered into their ear. They know how training works, they know how field exercises work and they went for it. Especially Gibson. She knows that field exercises are an opportunity to practice what you’ve been taught.

So, how traumatic do you think it really was? Did you not see their interview about it? They LOVED it!

“Why the focus on handcuffs? Why not duct tape or zip ties?”

First of all, the producers felt handcuffs represented the more difficult scenario – which they do. Getting out of duct tape, zip ties and wire is easy if you know how to do it, a lot easier than handcuffs. Another comment was “what kidnapper uses handcuffs” – well, they’re actually a lot more efficient and easier than trying to tape or zip someones hands together – A LOT easier.

The most commonly used restraint in kidnapping is phone cord. It’s easy to get out of if you know what you’re doing – which all of my kids do. It’s also pretty boring on camera.

Refer to my bio that I linked to in the first paragraph, I teach Urban Escape and Evasion along with Kelly Alwood – my buddy that kidnaps them. We teach executives, Military, LEO and regulars civilians how to escape illegal custody. I actually know what I’m talking about when it comes to kidnapping – these commentors don’t have the first clue beyond what they’re imagining.

“Phil’s a fanatic, kidnapping is a stupid thing to prep for, what moron would try to help his kids not get kidnapped”

Ok, look people - Phoenix, AZ is the NUMBER 2 KIDNAP CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

I live within 12 hours of that capital. Since we filmed that episode, there have been 3 kidnappings/attempts in my area – 2 of them within a mile of my house. The 2 kidnappings I’m discussing with my wife in the show were 2 real kidnappings that happened in my area in the previous month to filming.

The only reason ANYONE would think that kidnapping is not a risk is because they keep themselves blissfully ignorant of the facts. Your child is at risk. If your child was taken – it would be THE END OF YOUR WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT. It would shatter on you. I’m simply suggesting you do something to mitigate the risk – that you PREPARE.

“Phil show his guns on a wall – that’s stupid. What idiot would show where he keeps his guns. What moron would keep his guns on the wall in a garage?”

You are all 100% correct. I would not show you where I keep my guns. I did show you a location with a lot of guns that was a stupid one. The producers wanted to show a ‘gun wall’.

You figure it out. If you think you know where I keep my guns you’re wrong.

“I didn’t learn anything new about Prepping”

Yes you did. You just either aren’t willing to acknowledge it or you didn’t pay attention. At the very least, you learned a little bit about kidnapping and that you don’t know much about it.

If you feel like you’re such an advanced Prepper that it offered you nothing – then it really wasn’t made for you. Remember, the goal with the show is to get people thinking about preparedness – not about doomsday.

“This idiot is letting little kids handle guns”

And the idiot that said that keeps his kids ignorant and in fear of guns.

My guns are kept SAFELY. I’m a certified firearm instructor, range master and have years of experience with them. There were 2 other certified range masters on the set every time there was a gun out. My kids have been shooting since they were all little and safety is DRILLED into their brains. If my kid and your kid walked into a room where a gun was sitting around – your kid is the one that would end up accidentally shooting themselves or someone else – not mine.

“This guy is showing the world his Preps and his “OpSec” is shot”

I can’t stand this ignorant statement. Please look at the masthead (big graphic) at the top of this site! It says: “Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance”. That’s not just a pretty sentence – it is my creed in life. My mission in life is to teach others Preparedness. I’ve been doing it for years. I refer you again to my bio linked at the top, I teach and show preps publicly everyday of the week. I emphatically deny the theory that a Prepper should “hide”. That’s a chicken-sh*t attitude that helps nobody. If you have a light, God tells us to hold that light on the hilltop and share it with others. If you have talents, God tells us to invest those talents heavily, not hide them under a rock.

Two final thoughts; 1)If you think I showed you “all my preps” on tv, think again. 2)If you didn’t catch on, we just demonstrated on the show that if you try to come after us, the entire family will be shooting at you – and there’s quite a few of us.

Take you chicken opsec and go read somewhere else – that is NOT what we teach here.

Next Steps

Several people have asked what’s next. Depending on how the pilot tested, we may be signed right away. We have 5 more episodes written and ready to film. If Animal Planet decides it is not for them – we have 3 other networks that are interested in picking it up. Soon, there will be another episode – it will likely discuss home fire safety (with a drill!) and will help teach families how to prepare their homes for a fire.

To all those many, many people who have told me they loved the show – THANK YOU! It is absolutely nerve wracking to put your heart and soul into something and make it the best you possibly can and then throw it out there for the world to see! It has been a fun process and a great learning experience. I hope to be able to do a lot more!

Update: Meet the Preppers review by East Tennessee Prepper

Phil Burns from Meet the Preppers on Animal Planet Discusses the Show : American Preppers Network

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-20-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Complete Pictorial Guide to Quick Soaking Beans

By Angela

Sometimes when I want a meal with beans I remember the day before and soak my beans overnight. But sometimes I forget to get the beans soaking and remember in the late morning on the day I want to have the ham and bean soup that my beans need soaked. Thank goodness there’s a method for quick soaking beans! So if you’ve ever needed or wanted to soak your beans a little faster, here’s how to do it.

Step 1: Sort and rinse your dry beans to get rid of any rocks or dirt or twigs that may be hanging around in them, then put your clean dry beans in a pot. These are Calypso beans and Hutterite Soup beans from our garden.

Step 2: Cover the beans with about 3 times as much water as beans.

Step 3: Turn the stove on and bring the water to a boil. Let it boil for 2 minutes.

Step 4: Turn the stove off, cover your pot, and let it sit for 1 hour.

Step 5: Discard the soak water (you can water your plants with it if you feel like you’re wasting the discard water). Your beans are now ready to cook as if they had soaked all night.

So you can have ham and bean soup using dry beans even if you don’t think about it until 11 am the day you want to eat it! Just do a quick soaking on those beans and get them cooking fast.

The Complete Pictorial Guide to Quick Soaking Beans « Food Storage and Survival
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Getting Preparedness Gear on the Cheap

By Angela

You all know I’m cheap. I do not like spending money and rarely buy anything new. In the wake of the free canning jar episode, I thought I’d let you all in on some other methods of finding canning supplies without paying an arm and a leg, then I thought, heck, I’ve gotten gear outside of canning stuff using these sources also, so even though this post started with sources for canning supplies, it’s grown to sources for preparedness gear in general. And now, after following my thought process for a good three sentences, the moment you’ve all been waiting for . . . some of my favorite sources for preparedness gear on the cheap:

1. Yard Sales, Estate Sales, Moving Sales, Farm Auctions, etc. The estate/moving/farm sales are especially productive as folks really want to unload volume and usually aren’t that concerned at making a ton of money doing it. Sometimes people don’t know what they have and are willing to sell good gear for cheap. I’ve picked up quite a few bargains at yard sales including a large water bath canner, volcano stove, reloading press and dies, snow boots, meat slicer, tools, and firearms. Really, a great source. I try to go without my kids since they are yard sale junkies also and always want to bring home a stuffed animal or book or lava lamp (yes, I’ve come home from yardsales with the kids with all three of those before). Do not feel obligated to buy something just because someone’s having a yard sale. This can get you into spending too much on yard sale day. Make sure it’s something you need and will use. It’s okay to leave a yard sale without buying anything if there’s nothing there you need.

1 1/2. Thrift stores. This is usually a good place to get canning jars in Utah anyway. A little harder to find them during canning season, though. Also I’ve found pretty good prices on candles and you can always have a few more of those in the storage. Thrift stores go along the lines of yard sales–there’s a lot of stuff there and you can end up spending more than you planned on stuff you don’t really need if you don’t stay focused. Thrift stores usually collect from local people, so in better neighborhoods you will find better goods at the thrift store. Our “local” thrift store is mostly recycled Kmart stuff, so I don’t usually find much there for preparedness. Also, the gear will be used so if it runs on electricity (like some kitchen gadgets) make sure to check it out in the store before you buy it.

2. Freecycle or Craigslist or other local advertising method. Put a “wanted” ad in these types of services and see what kind of response you get. In our little area there is a half hour program every morning on the radio where you can call in to sell, barter, and trade items and that could be a resource as well if you’re looking for something in particular. Posting flyers at your post office or other community message board works as well.

3. Work, church, other social contacts. When they’ve asked for announcements at church, I’ve gotten up and said I needed pint canning jars or whatever and have usually gotten a response from somebody with too many jars or someone willing to trade something for jars. The good part of this system is it is often free. You could use this for learning something–”does anybody know how to knit? I’d really like to learn.” You can offer to trade services or other goods for whatever you’re looking for, or you can offer to pay them as well.

4. Word of mouth. This kind of goes along with number 3, but includes just talking with whoever. You know, “what have you been up to?” “Well, I’ve been canning a bunch of stuff from the garden this week.” Then if those people ever come across a stash of cherry trees that need picked or empty jars or whatever they don’t have a need for, they know who cans that would appreciate any excess.

5. Relatives. I got my pressure canner and some jars from my Grandma when she quit canning in her old age and I’ve already got dibs on my mom’s noodle maker. Most people do get to the point in their lives where they won’t be using that rifle as much or growing and canning a ginormous garden. Let them know what you’re up to and when they don’t need their gear, you might get some of it.

6. Ask for it. We used to have a better paying job than we do now and bought ourselves some fantastic prep gear for our birthdays and Christmas. Santa might bring you something you need or you could get it for your birthday or Mother’s day or whatever. If it’s a big ticket item, maybe your family could all give you gift certificates to the store that sells the thing you want, or cash donations is good also. I’ve seriously considered the collection deal for Christmas so I could afford the gift I really wanted, but didn’t think of it until it was too late. But it’s a good idea anyway.

What has worked for you?

Getting Preparedness Gear on the Cheap « Food Storage and Survival

UPDATE: Sold both boats for $700!! HAHA Also sold 10 of the 20 fire extinguishers for $100 and one of the boat gas cans for $20. Spent $315, ended up with $820 and still have half the extinguishers, 2 gas tanks and 2 propane tanks. SCORE

My weekend yard sale scores! How a broke college prepper prepares for the future. I picked up 2 zodiak inflatable dinghy's for $180 bucks ill sell one to get all of my money back that i spent last weekend and keep all the other treasures god i love g sales!! Also some tips on how i make prepping work for me, with my miniscule income.

Military MMA Mixed Martial Arts - Close Combat - Part 1 - RECON - Military Videos - The Pentagon Channel

Both the Army and the Marine Corps are mixing time-honored combat skills with multiple martial arts techniques to put a modern twist on hand-to-hand fighting.
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-21-2012 at 12:44 AM.