Page 178 of 844 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278678 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 8437
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA
    Life in Argentina after the 2001 crisis

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 03-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FRACTURES, Part 1

Categories: Medicine and Health
    by admin
    March 7, 2012

By Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy
    www.DoomAndBloom.net

Hey Prepper Nation,

If we wind up in a situation where the you-know-what has hit the fan, we will be fending for ourselves; we’ll have to do a lot of strenuous activities that we will be unaccustomed to doing, and that means more injuries. Some of those injuries will be minor, but some may be severe such as breaking a bone. Let’s talk a little about fractures and how to identify them without the use of X-rays or other high technology.

When a bone is broken, it is termed a fracture. There are several types of fractures, but they are all either “closed” or “open”. A closed fracture is when there is a break in the bone, but the skin is intact. An open fracture is when the skin is broken. Sometimes the sharp end of a broken bone protrudes through the opening. Needless to say, there is usually more blood loss and infection associated with an open wound. The infection may be in the skin (cellulitis), the blood (sepsis), or the bone itself (osteomyelitis) and could be life threatening if not treated. If poorly managed, a closed fracture can become an open fracture.

Various fractures; all are “closed” fractures except for the second from the left, which is “open”

The diagnosis of a broken bone can be simple, as when the bone is obviously deformed, or difficult, as in a minimal, “hairline” fracture. X-rays can be helpful to differentiate a small fracture from a severe sprain, but that technology won’t be available in a power-down situation. There are some ways to tell, however:

Obvious Fracture

Not-so-obvious Fracture
    • A fracture will manifest with severe pain and inability to use the bone (for example. The patient cannot put any weight whatsoever on a broken ankle). Someone with a sprain can probably put some weight, albeit painfully, on the area.
    • More pronounced swelling and bruising will likely be present on a fracture than a sprain.
    • A grinding sensation may be felt when rubbing a fractured limb.
    • A deep cut in the area of the injury may be a sign of an open fracture.
    • Motion of the bone in an area where there is no joint is another dead giveaway that there is a fracture. If you notice that your injured finger appears to have 5 knuckles, you’re probably dealing with a fracture!

Dealing with a fractured bone involves first evaluating the injured area for the above signs and symptoms. Use your bandage or EMT scissors to cut away the clothing over the injury. This will prevent further injury that may occur if the patient was made to remove their own clothing. Check the site for bleeding and the presence of an open wound; if present, stop the bleeding before proceeding further. See our article on treating the hemorrhagic wound:

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/09/...gic-wound.html

Fractures may cause damage to the patient’s circulation in the limb affected, so it is important to check the area beyond the level of the injury for changes in coloration (white or blue instead of normal skin color) and for strong and steady pulses. To see what a strong pulse feels like, place two fingers on the side of your neck until you feel your neck arteries pulsing. You will do this same action on, say, the wrist, if the patient has broken their arm. To see what normal circulation does to coloring, press hard on your middle finger with your thumb, then release quickly. You will see the compressed area go from white to pink in less than two seconds if your circulation is normal. If the circulation is bad, it will stay white or turn blue. Next, lightly prick the patient in the same area with a safety pin to make sure they have normal sensation. If not, the nerve has been injured.

Evidence of Poor Circulation: white or blue fingertips

If the bone has not deformed the extremity, a simple splint will immobilize the fracture, prevent further injury to soft tissues and promote appropriate healing. Popular commercial splints such as the SAM (Splint, Aluminum, Malleable ) splint are useful but you could improvise by wrapping a pillow around the injury and securing with duct tape. This method gives both immobilization and padding. Even some sticks and strips of cloth from a T-shirt will do in a pinch.

Pillow Splint

Oftentimes, the bone will be obviously bent or otherwise deformed, and the fracture must be “reduced”, that is, replaced so that the broken ends of the bone are realigned. Although this will be painful, normal healing and complete recovery will not occur until the two ends of the broken bone are realigned to their original position. This is best performed with two people, and will be painful to perform. If you don’t reduce the deformity, however, you will get this:

In this case, you see an obvious fracture of the femur (thighbone) on the left. For one reason or another, this fracture was not reduced. The bone still wants to heal, and the middle E-ray show the bones trying to connect even though the fracture was not reduced. On the right, you see the end result: One leg shorter than the other, and a very likely candidate for a future fracture due to the weakness of the scar.

We’ll discuss more about the procedure to reduce a fracture and other factors in assuring good healing in our next article….

Dr. Bones

FRACTURES, Part 1 : American Preppers Network
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Surviving a harsh winter

Categories: emergency preparedness, water storage, winter, Winter Survival
    by admin

February 24, 2012

By concretegardenstx

This post may seem a little odd now, as it seems like most people (well, at least here in TX) are having very warm weather. But as we all know, weather can be unpredictable, and you never know when you will get that March storm that makes it seem like TEOTWAWKI.

I actually had my own mini collapse a few years back. We were living in a rural area, when a sudden winter ice storm knocked out power for a week, and we even lost water for a day. We weren’t preppers back then, but we managed to make it through with what we had. I’d like to share my experience and offer some tips on what we did right, and what we learned from it all.

The foremost concern we had at the time was keeping warm. It helped that we had a fireplace, and firewood already. I cannot stress this enough that I feel that having a fireplace, or a woodstove, or some other non electric heat generator should be a must if you live in a cold climate. I made sure that when we went looking for a new house, we had to have a fireplace. But you also have to make sure that you have wood. We had some wood on the rack, but some wood was at the end of the property that had been cut by the electric company, and trudging down to the end of the property in the cold snow and ice is not fun. Don’t be lazy, always make sure that your wood is where it should be! The other thing you need to figure in is ashes. Running your fireplace 24/7 for a week generates a LOT of ash! We were lucky that it wasn’t too long after Christmas, and those lovely metal popcorn tins were great canisters to hold the hot ash (just be careful, wear gloves, as the canisters heat up quickly!) and let the cans cool off outside, to be emptied and used again. Another important way to keep warm is blankets. Not just any blankets. I highly recommend getting as much fleece as possible. I was working on a craft project, so I had a lot of large, uncut pieces of fleece. The fleece retains heat amazingly well! I also remembered I had a fleece shirt, so I wore that the whole week. I recommend checking the fabric stores for when fleece goes on sale, and stocking up on pieces, maybe about 2 yards or so. If you can sew, even better! Make some nice flannel shirts, pants, booties, whatever! Don’t forget to utilize your pets. If you have cats, dogs, or whatever, let them under the covers with you!

After heat, you need to make sure that you have enough water. All you good little preppers out there probably have enough water, but we didn’t have any. We had water until one day the water just stopped. It turned out that the RWD that provided our water lost electricity, so they were unable to pump water to us. If the power goes out, fill all the containers that you can with water, just in case. You can also use fresh snow, just make sure you boil it first! And never take it in in snow form, as it does not hydrate you. Don’t forget to have extra for flushing the toilet!

As good little preppers, I’m sure you have enough food. If it’s cold, anything in the freezer or even fridge would store well outside. We put our stuff in a cooler and put it outside, making sure it was secured so no animals could get into it. One device we had was a long two pronged fork. I suppose it’s used for campfires, but it worked great with cooking hotdogs in the fireplace. We also had a handheld butane torch, which worked great for making grilled cheese sandwiches. We were lucky enough that we still had our natural gas supply, so I was able to cook on the stove top (the oven had an electric ignition, so we couldn’t use that). PLEASE make sure that there is nothing on your stove before you use it. I missed seeing an electrical cord to an appliance that happened to be on the burner, and couldn’t figure out what the horrible smell was. Imagine it being 20 degrees outside and having to open the doors trying to get the smoke out of the house! I would also recommend knowing where your gas line is coming into your house, and how to turn it off. In a snowstorm, gas is great, but if there is a bomb or earthquake you may want to shut that off.

Lighting is something that will make the nighttime bearable. It gets dark early in the winter, and not having enough light is boring, and after a week it’s miserable. We did have a hand crank LED flashlight, but only one. I had a mini LED booklight that I clipped to my shirt to try and crochet, but it was hard on the eyes after awhile. Oil lamps are great as long as you are careful, and battery operated lamps are good too, as long as you have some sort of solar recharger for your battery. What I wish I would have had was solar powered garden lights. I like to put as many of these in my garden as possible. They can charge during the day, and I can bring them in at night to illuminate the darkness. As much as I love candles, I don’t think they are good for long term luminescence, as they don’t give off a lot of light and they can burn quickly. There is also the risk of a fire hazard!

I’ll never forget our adventure, and the lessons I learned from it. We were all pretty proud for surviving it, but I know that with my preps now we can handle it even better.

Surviving a harsh winter : American Preppers Network

our blog in latest top 50

Don't forget our medical preparedness blog at www.doomandbloom.net, ranked #27 in the last two Top 50 Survival Blog rankings!

Thanks,

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Drbones View Post
    Don't forget our medical preparedness blog at www.doomandbloom.net, ranked #27 in the last two Top 50 Survival Blog rankings!

Thanks,

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy

That is a good site

PS this is the link I have and use

Free Medical Guides! | Doom and Bloom (TM)
    Last edited by kathyet; 03-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Australian Bill Allows for Sterilizations Without Parental Consent at Any Age

Anthony Gucciardi
    NaturalSociety
    March 5, 2012

Following the call by ethicists for after-birth abortions and the press explosion surrounding the ‘Euthanasia Coaster‘, new legislation from Australia is now paving the way for children of any age to consent to sterilization — without parental consent. That’s right, if a psychiatrist determines that a child under the age of 18 years is ‘sufficiently mature’, they will be sterilized without any say from the parents. Again, there is no age minimum, as long as they are ‘mature‘ enough.

The legislation, known as the ‘Draft Mental Health Bill 2011′, also allows for 12-year-olds to consent to psychosurgery and electroshock. You can view the bill for yourself on the Australian Mental Health government website. Written by the Western Australia Mental Health Commission (MHC) and overseen by Mental Health Commissioner and clinical psychologist Mr Eddie Bartnik, objections can still be submitted to Australian parliamentary members in each state until March 9th.

Some main points of the bill read:

• CHILDREN OF ANY AGE TO CONSENT TO STERILISATION: If a psychiatrist decides that a child (under 18 years) has sufficient maturity, he or she will be able to consent to sterilisation. Parental consent will not be needed. Only after the sterilisation procedure has been performed does it have to be reported and then only to the Chief Psychiatrist. [Pages: 135 & 136 of the Draft Mental Health Bill 2011]
    • 12 YEAR OLDS WILL BE ABLE TO CONSENT TO PSYCHOSURGERY: Banned in N.S.W. and the N.T., psychosurgery irreversibly damages the brain by surgery, burning or inserting electrodes. This draft bill proposes to allow a 12 year old child, if considered to be sufficiently mature by a psychiatrist, to be able to consent to psychosurgery. Once the child has consented it goes before the Mental Health Tribunal (MHT) for approval. Parental consent is also not needed for the MHT to approve the psychosurgery. [Pages: 108, 109, 110, 197,198, 199, 213]
    • 12 YEAR OLDS WILL BE ABLE TO CONSENT TO ELECTROSHOCK (ECT): Electroshock is hundreds of volts of electricity to the head. Any child aged 12 and over, whom a child and adolescent psychiatrist decides is “mature” enough, will be able to consent to electroshock. Also, once consent is given, there is no requirement for parents or anyone, including the MHT, to approve the electroshock. Electroshock should be banned. Its use on the elderly, pregnant women and children is especially destructive. [Pages: 100, 101, 103, 104, 194, 105]
    Action will need to be taken to make sure the bill does not pass. Objections can be sent to the Mental Health Commission and to Australian state legislators. Feedback options come to a close on the 9th of March at 5pm, so it is important to voice your opposition today.

Here are a few ways to contact the Mental Health Commission and state your objection to the bill:

• Mail: GPO Box X2299 Perth Business Centre, W.A. 6847

http://naturalsociety.com/australian...nt-at-any-age/

Explore More:
    1. California Bill Seeks Mandatory Gardasil Vaccinations without Parental Consent
    2. California Gardasil Law Signed | Children to Receive Deadly Shot Without Parental Consent
    3. Merck Paid Legislators to Pass Mandatory Gardasil Vaccine Bill
    4. Vermont Drafts Bill to Protect From Recently Passed “Food Safety” Bill
    5. Bill Gates Foundation Funds Experimental Insect Repellent
    6. Under Federal Threat, Wash. State Gov. Vetoes Medical Marijuana Dispensary Bill
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 03-08-2012 at 01:34 AM.

ADHD Diagnoses More Common in Younger Children

Mike Barrett
    Prisonplanet.comMarch 7, 2012

A recent study has found that of every child in the same school grade level, the younger children are more likely to be diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) than children months older. Although these children are noticed and targeted first — undoubtedly for their less mature behavior, the increase in prescriptions for ADHD medications over the years shows that the psychiatric and pharmaceutical industry are continually lessening the conditions upon which a child can be diagnosed with ADHD.

Younger Children Targeted for ADHD Diagnosis
    In British Columbia, the cutoff date for entering school in any year is December 31st, making children born in January the oldest in their grade and children born in December the youngest. Researchers looked at approximately 1 million children ages 6-12 diagnosed with ADHD and found that those born in December were 39 percent more likely to be labeled as having ADHD and 48 percent more likely to be treated with ADHD medication than those born in January.
    “Our study suggests younger, less mature children are inappropriately being labeled and treated…it is important not to expose children to potential harms from unnecessary diagnosis and use of medications.”, study researcher Richard Morrow, of the University of British Columbia, said.
    As rates of ADHD escalate each year, more and more children are stricken by not the ‘disorder’, but the medication that is prescribed to fix it. ADHD has become one of the most commonly diagnosed childhood disorders today, with an average of 9 percent of children between the ages of 5 and 17 being diagnosed with the disease each year. Over 18 million prescriptions were written for Adderall in 2010, up 13.4 percent from 2009. The massive increase has actually led to ADHD medication shortages, where pharmaceutical companies are actually struggling to acquire enough of the active ingredient used in the drugs to ‘treat’ the ADHD label.

Children are prescribed these behavior altering drugs, which alter their brain chemistry and lead to more serious problems like depression and drug dependencies later in life. Pharmaceuticals are only a temporary fix that do not address the fundamental issues behind ADHD, or any disorder for that matter. The lack of necessity regarding these pharmaceuticals has even sparked outcry against antipsychotics by mainstream health officials.

Aside from an epidemic of misdiagnoses, an improper diet has everything to do with children expressing what would be viewed as ADHD-like behavior. For parents with children labeled with ADHD, try the simple test of helping to alter your child’s diet.

This article first appeared at Natural Society

Prison Planet.com » ADHD Diagnoses More Common in Younger Children

Monsanto’s Roundup Shown to be Ravaging Butterfly Population

Mike Barrett
    Prisonplanet.com
    March 6, 2012

Monsanto’s Roundup, containing the active ingredient glyphosate, has been tied to more health and environmental problems than you could imagine. Similar to how pesticides have been contributing to the bee decline, Monsanto’s Roundup has been tied to thedecrease in the population of monarch butterfliesby killing the very plants that the butterflies rely on for habitat and food.

What’s been shown to be an even greater threat to the population, though, is Monsanto’s Roundup Ready corn and soybeans.

Roundup Ready Crops and Glyphosate Leading to Downfall of Insect Populations
    A 2011 study published in the journal Insect Conservation and Diversity found that increasing acreage of genetically modified Roundup Ready corn and soybeans is heavily contributing to the decline in monarch butterfly populations within North America. Milkweed, a plant butterflies rely on for habitat and food, is being destroyed by the heavy use of glyphosate-based pesticides and Roundup Ready crops.

Over the past 17 years, the monarch butterfly population in central Mexico has declined, reaching an all-time low in 2009-2010.

‘This milkweed has disappeared from at least 100 million acres of these row crops,’said Dr. Taylor, an insect ecologist at the University of Kansas and director of the research and conservation program Monarch Watch. ‘Your milkweed is virtually gone…this [glyphosate use on RR crops] is the one main factor that has happened…you look at parts of the Midwest where there is a tremendous use of these crops and you see monarch populations dropping. It’s hard to deny the conclusion.’

According to the Department of Agriculture, in 2011 94 percent of soybeans and 72 percent of corn grown in the United States were herbicide-tolerant. Due to this increase, the amount of Roundup used on crops in 2007 was 5 times higher than in 1997, only one year after Roundup Ready crops were available.

Another study published int he journal Crop Protection and conducted by Robert G Hartzler, an agronomist at Iowa State, found that milkweed on farms in Iowa declined 90 percent from 1999 to 2009. Additionally, his study found milkweed only on 8 percent of corn and soybean fields surveyed in 2009, which is 51 percent lower than in 1999.

Although the butterfly population may be suffering, humans are taking heat from Monsanto’s creations as well. Past research has shown that Monsanto’s Roundup ready crops are leading to mental illness and obesity, primarily by destroying the amount of good bacteria found in the gut. The corporation’s Roundup, containing glyphosate, has also been shown to cause infertility and birth defects.

Glyphosate is so present today that it has been found to be polluting the world’s drinking water through the widespread contamination of aquifers, wells, and springs. What may be most shocking is that very high concentrations of glyphosate have been found in 100 percent of urine samples tested in a recent study.

This article first appeared at Natural Society

Prison Planet.com » Monsanto

Just Something Interesting and I guess it has to do with Long Term Survival ...lol .. providing you could out run them

America's Astonishing War Against The Cannibal Giants <--- Link

Amazing City Of Giants Found Off Georgia Coast <--- Link