Page 246 of 830 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346746 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 8292
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 12 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Base Camp Survival Tool Bag

Eventually everything you own that was conceived by a mode of industrial assembly or manufacture will fail. Even if it doesn’t outright fail, it must be maintained in order to achieve maximum product utility especially for a survival situation.
    By Dr. John J. Woods, a contributing author to SurvivalCache.com
    All of this preparation requires mechanics tools and the skills to use them. Let’s start with the tools.
    Keep in constant perspective though that learning to fix everything from gas engines, to water pumps, to electrical, electronics, drive systems, and hydraulics, etc. is another whole matter altogether. Whatever you own that requires mechanical maintenance; learn about it to the best of your ability. A lot of things you can learn to fix and maintain yourself.
    I am not by any stretch of the imagination a mechanic. I was raised though by parents that owned an auto parts store and an agricultural flying business. I was around mechanical things all day, so I naturally learned a few things. It certainly has come in handy to know how to use the proper tools to fix and maintain many things. I don’t do electricity.
    Basic Tools First

Even if you are not particularly mechanically inclined, learning to use a few basic tools is pretty easy. Like everything else, it just takes come on-the-job training and practice. If you have no tools other than one bent screwdriver, a nail hammer, and a Vise-Grip, then start by looking around and shopping at some places that sell basic and specialty tools. Good places for tool browsing includes Sears, Lowe’s, Home Depot, NAPA Auto Parts, Ace Hardware, and many other local outlets or mom and pop stores. Check all sales flyers.
    Every basic tool bag needs the following items:
    1. Screwdrivers, Phillips, Torx and slot sizes, long and short shank.
    2. Pliers, regular and needle nose types.
    3. Set of open end and box wrenches, inch and metric.
    4. Claw hammer and ball peen.
    5. Socket set, inch and metric.
    6. Vise-Grips, small and large.
    7. Adjustable wrenches, several sizes.
    8. Cutter pliers.
    9. Punches.
    10. Pipe wrenches.
    11. Allen wrench set.
    12. Metal tape measure, 25 feet.
    13. Retractable cutting blade.
    14. Roll of black electricians tape.
    15. Selection of various sizes of pull ties.
    This is a basic set of tools. Next you need a good bag to stow and carry them. I like the canvas wide mouth tool bags with strong grab handles. Get the one with inside and outside pockets for carrying extra items. Put in a pair of safety glasses.
    The Advanced Tool Bag

What else might I add if I wanted to upgrade a basic tool bag to a higher level? I would add a good pry bar, duct tape, files, tubes of oil and glue, a can of WD-40 and Liquid Wrench. A couple shop towels would be nice and some mechanics gloves, too. Then add a hacksaw, sheet rock saw, electric drill and bits, and cans of PVC pipe cleaner and glue. It never hurts to have a zip lock bag of assorted nails and screws of all types. An industrial staple gun comes in handy as well. As you shop around, undoubtedly you will find other useful tools to add to your collection. Having a good quality set of hand tools and knowing something about how to use them will put any prepper in good stead for keeping things maintained, repaired, and running. This will certainly prove valuable during any prolonged SHTF event.

http://survivalcache.com/base-camp-survival-tool-bag/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-12-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Survival Eating: Part 3

This started as an article on foraging wild edible and medicinal plants. Then Schoeny asked about a “Wild Garden” on the SurvivalCache forum and my mind started asking questions: 1) Why do we just forage what has grown? 2) Why can’t we plant and harvest the very same plants we look for?

By Regulator5, a SurvivalCache contributor

Read Part 1: Survival Eating
    Read Part 2: Survival Eating

The two answers I came up with are:

1. We do not need to “find” the plants

2. We can help Mother Nature by planting these very plants to enhance our ability to “find” and harvest them when needed.

I hope this will help and I am NO expert at planting many of these plants myself. I have foraged several and have tried to reseed the area when I harvest the plants or wait until after nature has reseeded to try and preserve my “plot”.

I went back through my notes and books to find plants that are not only commonly found by me but are common in most of the United States (sorry to our Outside the United States Survivalists and Preppers) or have shown they will thrive in most soils and climates. This list and information is not all inclusive but I hope it will offer enough of a start to allow everyone to begin a “Wild Garden” and find other plants that can be added to their personal plots.
    The Wild Garden

The basics with a wild garden are the same as any garden plot, we must find the plant/crops that will thrive in the natural soil conditions for our area or create conditions to allow the plants to grow. The great thing about planting in a forest is the natural compost that has been building for years. Many of the herbs and plants were abundant in the mature hardwood forests of the eastern United States and thrived in the natural order of flora cycles (germination, sprouting, living, dying, decomposing, nourishing the next crop).

These plants have shown a hardiness to survive without man’s cultivation and the need for constant attention. Some of these plants were imported from Europe, Asia and Africa by the early settlers and colonists to be used for landscaping or grown to be a food source as they were in the “old” country. These plants are used for food or medical purposes and many work in both fields by utilizing the different parts of the plants or they are just multipurpose by “design”.

I will try and give a brief overview of the plant and it’s many uses, whether for food, medicine or both. On that note, remember to consult your healthcare provider to ensure no harm or death will be caused from taking herbal remedies. The information on health benefits are taken from different books published on the subject and they will be included at the end of the article. I cannot recommend enough to study several authors, including Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy’s website (www.doomandbloom.net) and cross reference the information to gain as much insight as possible.

Also, field guides with pictures (color if possible) are extremely important to ensure you harvest the correct plant; you do not want Cicuta, known as Water Hemlock (extremely deadly) when trying to harvest water lily.

Amaranth is a great source of plant protein and has grain and vegetable varieties. The grains can

be used to feed livestock, which will help add meat faster with the higher protein count and unlike corn, Amaranth is digestible for our ruminant friends. The grain varieties can be used in lieu of other grains for breads and desserts and the leaves can be used as an herb. Amaranth also has some medicinal properties which help with the blood cleansing and digestive systems.

Burdock is of great benefit and grows about anywhere there is sunlight, dirt and water. The roots can be dried and ground as a “healthy” coffee substitute, or peeled, boiled and eaten. The leaves and stems can also be eaten. Burdock is most useful for its medicinal properties. It was a commonly used antidote for many poisons and still is in use, along with helping as a blood purifier/cleanser, allergies, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, skin rashes (including poison ivy/oak), and many other inflictions which can be common and debilitating in a survival situation.

Cattails (Typha) are probably one of the most essential “wild foods” we have. The young shoots, roots and even the tops are edible. The fluffy pollen tops can be harvested and used to make a nutritious “mush”, the roots can be cooked and eaten as a high starch energy potato substitute. They are also useful in weaving mats and thatching for shelter coverings.

Dandelions (Taraxacum) are also highly beneficial and they will grow anywhere (ask the homeowner who spends lots of money trying to eradicate them from their lawns). The blossoms when picked early can be fried and eaten like mushrooms, the leaves and stems can be used as greens in salad and the roots make a very healthy tea. Dandelion root is high in potassium, a much needed mineral especially when physical activity is high. It is also helpful in cleansing the liver, one of the body’s main “filters” and helps fight high blood pressure.

Clover has the added benefit of being a highly sought after food of animals such as deer, moose, elk, larks, nuthatches, and many more. It is also edible to humans either raw or cooked. A tea can also be made from the dried mature blossoms; which is used to help ward off scurvy (illness that can lead to death from vitamin deficiency) and is known as a blood cleanser.

Wild onions (garlic, leeks and chives are members of this “family”) are very helpful in adding flavor to bland dishes and helping make foods more palatable that you are unused to eating. This is another beneficial plant in helping avoid scurvy. Drinking a “tea” made from steeping the cut up roots on an empty stomach was purported to get rid of intestinal worms.

Shepherd’s Purse leaves can be used in salads and the seeds ground into a healthy meal.

Shepherd’s Purse is a natural blood coagulant used to help stop bleeding (something to think about if you run out of Quik Clot or Celox) and control blood pressure. It is also effective is stopping diarrhea which can lead to dehydration, especially in a survival situation.

Common Plantain or Soldier’s Herb, is another one of those plants that people spend time and money trying to keep from their yards (commonly found growing in the cracks of sidewalks and driveways). This plant has high nutrition value and the leaves are eaten in salads when young or cooked and eaten like spinach. Common Plantain is high in Vitamins A and C, was and is used to kill and expel intestinal worms, and as poultices for wounds and cuts to name a few uses.

Alfalfa is a great plant and is highly nutritious. It also makes great food plots for wild grazers like deer, moose, elk, and rabbits to name a few. It is also great for pasture if you are raising livestock, so it is a very beneficial multi- purpose plant with unlimited potential. Also, most other grains/grasses (rye, oats, quinoa, etc) fall into this category and can be planted and harvested or left for wild animals.

There are several other plants/herbs/weeds that can be planted and “forgotten about” in Mother Nature. These will have food and/or medicinal qualities that will be very beneficial to preppers during an event. Some of these, but not all, are Lamb’s Quarter, cacti, milkweed, chickweed, horseradish, mint(s), dock, chicory, mustard, tiger lily, sunflowers, sweet flag, water cress, hawthorn, sage(s), pig weed, and stonecrop to name a few.
    Mushrooms

Then we get to mushrooms but please be EXTREMELY careful when picking and using these fungi for food or medical treatments. I highly recommend books and pocket guides on identifying mushrooms that are carried with you at all times. Some mushrooms are purported to help with diabetes and blood pressure and reduce cholesterol.

Many fruits can be planted in the wild and will thrive. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, grapes, apples, pears, peaches, etc are all able to be planted and will normally thrive in open areas of forests and will draw wild life which can then also be on the menu. If possible, read on local Native American tribes food and recipes for suggestions on what grew in your locale for the best options. Fruits and berries are full of vitamins and minerals, have many medicinal values and will thrive in the wilderness without attention. These can be preserved or made into pies (sugar is NOT required) and these comfort foods can be a major benefit for morale of your family/group if a long term event occurs.

Trees are another source of wild foods, which can be planted. The seeds from almost every, if not every, tree are edible and nutrient rich. Oak, walnuts, beech, willow, hickory, pine, maple, and sassafras are all beneficial and have many uses. The nuts and seeds are edible, some the inner bark can be eaten or formed into natural remedies, needles or roots made into teas for human consumption and wild game will be found foraging these foods so they become “magnets” for harvesting dinner. Most trees require years before they produce nuts or fruit, so planting now may not guarantee you a food source, but we prep to give our future generations the best for surviving also so this is planning forward for our children and grand children.

I gave only a very small listing of the plants, trees, and fruits that can be grown in the wild with little to no care from us. These plants have thrived in the woods long before the settling of America cut down our massive hardwood forests and cleared the land for our ever increasing population.

I promote planting trees and other plants to keep a healthy balance in nature and gain back some of our lost forests. I hunt, fish, camp and enjoy my outdoor activities and conservation is important to me as a user of these resources. I try not to cut down trees for firewood, but use what has fallen naturally to reduce my impact. I want my children and their children’s children to enjoy the same activities I do and hope by planting a few trees and plants this will be possible, maybe even to a greater extent than I have.

Remember when harvesting wild plants, if there is no use in the root, leave this to grow again. If possible, shake off the seeds to reseed the plot for the next time you need it. Also, according to some of the books referenced below, harvest plants by the moon cycle. If you need the leaves, flowers, stems, etc, pick while the moon is visible and harvest roots when the moon is set. This falls in line with the moon’s ability to influence the tides; which in respect to plants, a high tide will pull the “juices” up into the plant whereas a low tide will “push” the juices into the root (thinking about some of the old wives’ tales, this made sense to me when I read it).

With so many people harvesting plants whole and NOT reseeding or taking care to maintain balance, we have decimated our natural resources for food, shelter and medicine, not only for ourselves but animals we rely on for food as well. The game populations are in direct line with food sources in the area, so animal populations will dwindle from starvation and disease, which can lead to our losing valuable resources when needed. The added pressures of hunting will only create a dimmer future in the event of a situation where people are forced to subsist more on our ancestral foods and not from the grocery store’s shelves. If you have the time during a hike and the extra money or ability, plant some food plots for the local animal population; their boom in numbers may mean whether you and your family/group eat steak or inner pine bark, which would you prefer?

I am including a list of books I have, or are on my shopping list (which I have browsed in bookstores but had to budget my purchases), for use as references. It is not a complete list and I add more books every chance I get. I recently found several books from different authors on Native American gardening, wild foods and medicines and recipes which I will be adding to my library. If anyone has other books or web sites to offer for the readership, please do so. We have the platform to offer much information to each other and even if it does not fill the exact need of everyone; it may help 1 person so the time I spend typing a comment is worthwhile and valuable to me. I only hope the information written will help others in their quest for self sufficiency and survival. As stated previously, I use my gardening, foraging, fishing, trapping and hunting to offset my grocery expenses to allow the money to be saved, paid on other bills or add extra income if produce or pelts are sold. These “hobbies” also allow me to learn about the history of our ancestors by “re enacting” their lifestyles to a degree and gives me my most valued asset, Family Time.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive and Happy Growing,

Regulator5

Recommended Reading:

Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants by Bradford Angier

Field Guide to Medicinal Wild Plants by Bradford Angier

The Little Herb Encyclopedia by Jack Ritchason N.D.

Common Edible and Poisonous Mushrooms of the Northeast by C. Leonard and Charles Fergus

Tom Brown’s Field Guide to Wilderness Survival by Tom Brown Jr

Native Plants, Native Healing by Tis Mal Crow

All New Squarefoot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

Indian Herbalogy of North America by Alma Hutchens

Cherokee Plants and Their Uses (Click Here)

Authentic Native American Recipes (Click Here)

Cherokee Publications (Click Here)

These are but a few of the resources available to begin your own journey in this wonderful and fulfilling skill and past time. I get several books by different authors to compare notes and cross reference the information to be as accurate as possible. This also gives me multiple books for each family member to use as a guide if we get separated or split up in our foraging.

Survival Eating: Part 3
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Essential Bug Out Gear

Admittedly I watch a lot of outdoor television programming. For Christmas this past year my wife got me the upgraded programming on cable so I could receive outdoors television basically 24/7/365.

By Dr. John J. Woods, a contributing author to SurvivalCache.com

I enjoy watching the different location venues, and the behaviors of the big game being pursued including everything from wild hogs to elephants, but I am especially into whitetails. It also helps to keep survival prepping thoughts in mind, too.
    Prepping Gear Bags

One of the curious things I take note of when watching these hunting and game pursuit television shows is the gear the participants use, but more specifically all the stuff they tote afield. To me it looks like some of these guys are carrying hiking packs with enough gear to set up camp for a week.
    In a SHTF or Bug Out scenario it could easily turn into that very quickly. I’d love to know what all is stowed in those duffle bag sized packs they carry on a single day’s hunt. It might help us orient our own planning for Bug Out or just weekend trips to our escape hide outs, or even items to add to our Bug In plans.
    My individual preference is to use the base camp, staging area, or a vehicle as the center point of my outreach operations. From there I pack out a smaller bag with essentials for the day once I know what the agenda is going to be. I usually tend to take too much “stuff” but I work by the old philosophy of “I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.” Even then, it seems I inevitably forget something. In one of my prep planning drawers I must have a half dozen gear lists to pack for different scenarios not counting what stays packed all the time for the ready.
    All this still begs the question of what should go in a field gear box, backpack or carried on the individual. Naturally much of this is personal preference. However, here, I want to recommend for consideration several items I have been in the process of field testing and using over the past year. They are all great and suitable for SHTF events.
    The utility of each item is relatively simple and doesn’t really require a lengthy individual field test report, so I felt the best approach was to include them all in one report. All of these items though are worthy of consideration to put in your hunting gear pack box, bug out bag, hunting pack or otherwise carried.
    Otis Zombie Gun Cleaning System

Whether hunting for food, zombies, wild hogs, sighting in at the range or conducting perimeter security, it never hurts to have a lightweight, complete gun cleaning kit along. Such a kit comes no simpler than the Otis “Zombie” Gun Cleaning System. The Zombie tag simply being a trendy marketing ploy, but it also generically translates into deadbeats that want to steal your stuff during a societal or natural breakdown event.
    This compact all-in-one zippered soft case unit can take care of basic gun cleaning tasks for firearms chambered for the 5.56mm (.223), 9mm, 40 and 45 caliber pistols plus 12 gauge shotguns. This is going to cover a lot of guns. To be honest, any kit able to handle these calibers is also going to work for most large caliber hunting rifles like the .270, 30-06, 308, and such.
    Included in the Otis system are 8 and 30-inch flex cables for breech-to-muzzle cleaning, five bronze bore brushes, a rubberized patch saver, specialized cleaning tools, and a tube of cleaning solvent all in a soft pack with a convenient belt loop. On the waist or in a pack the kit is great for cleaning out mud from a muzzle dropped weapon.
    Medical Adventure First Aid Kit

Sure, it will never happen to you. One of the worst knife cuts I ever saw was when a hunting friend was trying to gut a deer in the winter. We had nothing to wrap it with. If it had not been freezing, he might have lost that finger.
    Every prepper ought to carry some basic first aid items in every field box or pack. The 2.0 kit I have includes a howler whistle, compass, antiseptic wipes, assorted bandages, dressings, tape, sterile pads, gloves, blister moleskin, elastic bandage, cold pack, scissors, safety pins, and a variety of medications. This comes complete in a zippered nylon bag that is easy to pack.
    The package says this is enough first aid and medical gear for 1-4 people for 1-4 days. It retails for $23.00 from Adventure Medical Kits. Other kits are available, too (click here).
    S4 Gear – Lockdown Optics Deployment System

I broke my best Pentax binoculars on an elk hunt in Colorado when they slipped off my shoulder on a steep climb and smashed into a boulder. Prior to the fall, they were around my neck flailing around like a wounded wild turkey.
    The S4 Gear’s Lockdown optics system holds your optics securely and completely protected in a secure pouch with cover. The binoculars are connected to shock cord security straps. The shoulder strap system fits snuggly but is not restrictive in movement or mounting a long gun. The Lockdown comes in two sizes. Check them out at www.hunting.s4gear.com.
    S4 Evo Sidewinder (Next Generation – Dummy Chord)

This is one of the next generations of tether technologies designed to attach a single piece of critical gear to an extension cord retractor device capable of clipping on a person or a backpack, etc. The Evo Sidewinder is a uniquely engineered piece of gear they call a “retractable gear deployment system.”
    The “retractor pod” attaches to say a rangefinder, a radio, GPS, or small optic via an adhesive sticky pad and/or a secure strap that locks around the item. The pod then slides into the Sidewinder’s base unit where it is held until withdrawn.
    The base is equipped with a secured, lockable claw clip that can be rotated to one of four 90-degree positions depending on the placement requirements on a person, pack, harness, or other attachment point. Other accessories are available as well. Anyone walking, hiking, hunting, conducting security work, or observation will quickly appreciate the Evo Sidewinder’s utility.
    McNett Gear Aid Field Repair Kit

I have seen a lot of neat products in my day, but the McNett series of Gear Aid kits tops the list. There are several types or levels of kits available from the Explorer to the standard Tent Repair Kit, a Sewing Kit, and a Camper Kit. Each kit contains some different items or amounts of repair items. Each kit is designed to help outdoors people effect quick repairs on essential gear in the field.
    I have the Explorer Field Repair Kit in hand and the stuff in it is amazing to include four categories of repair items such as gear repair supplies, buckle kit, adhesive and fabric patches, and a sewing kit. In total there are 27 items in the nylon zippered bag that only weighs 7 ounces loaded.
    Example of repairs that can be done with this kit include gluing boot soles, fixing a broken zipper, seal a leak in an sleeping air pad, replacing a bad buckle, or fixing a busted tent pole. One of the kits in a field box, camping gear bag, or bug out bag will take care of most common place gear failures in the field. Check them all out at www.mcnett.com.
    Carson Lens Cleaning Tools

The point of quality optics of course is being able to see clearly through them. Have you ever been afield or needed optics during a snow storm or a wind driven sand blow or an early morning in the South with high humidity. I rest my case.
    These Carson lens cleaning tools are small and compact, but essential for keeping optical glass clean on the bench or in the field. They are simple plastic handles with a cleaning pad on one end. The special pad removes smudges, prints, dust, and dirt, as well as moisture. I find it best to blow off lenses first, dry them off with a clean cotton handkerchief then clean them with a Carson Tool.
    These lens tools do not contain alcohol or ammonia. They are suitable for cleaning cameras, binoculars, spotting scopes, and firearm scopes. They are small and lightweight fitting into a pack side pocket or shirt pocket. Examine them at www.carsonoptical.com.

Frontier Emergency Water Filter System

On every trip afield I carry water. I have also run out of water on hunting or observation trips. The Frontier Emergency Water Filter System by Aquamira is a simple design created for filtering up to 20 gallons of water under emergency conditions in the field. I discussed this with Aquamira and all of their filters are designed to filter double the amount of water that is on the label. So in a pinch, you could probably get closer to 40 gallons of water through this straw depending on the quality of water you start with.
    The tube filter takes out 99 percent of Giardia and Cryptosporidium commonly found in water sources even in mountainous areas where streams seem to be running crystal clear and clean. Don’t trust it. This filter will handle it.
    You will hardly notice this filter in your bag at one ounce. It is a plastic tube into which an included special drinking straw tube is inserted in one end. The other end is put into the water source and then water is drawn up as with any straw. Every gear kit bag should have one. More information is available at www.aquamira.com.
    Conclusion

As mentioned from the get-go, any Bug Out gear kit or bag can contain a myriad of equipment and gear items. Most of the final choices are based on personal choices for the type of trek being planned, duration, terrain, weather, and other input factors.
    I can highly recommend these products outlined here for use in your Survival Cache gear box or backpack. You may not ever need them, but then again you just might.
    All Photos by Dr. John J. Woods

Essential Bug Out Gear

The 7 Types of Gear you must have in your Bug Out Bag

Bug Out Bag

For someone new to being a Survivalist building your first Bug Out Bag can seem like a big task. Everybody you read about has been tweaking theirs for months or even years and has a pile of gear built up. It’s hard to know where to start, but if you cover all of the basics in a survival situation you will still be much better off that 99% of the people.
    A Bug Out Bag, (also called a BOB, Get Out of Dodge Bag, GOOD, or 72 Hour Bag) is usually designed to get you out of an emergency situation and allow you to survive self-contained for up to 3 days. A lot of people plan their Bug Out Bag to sustain them for much longer than that, but there is always a limit to what you can carry on your back and a 3 day target is a good place to start.
    Here are the 7 basic types of gear you will need for your Bug Out Bag:
    1. Water

It should go without saying that water is a survival basic for any situation. In a survival situation water quickly becomes the most precious commodity.
    1 Liter per day per person is really the bare minimum. So your 3 day Bug Out Bag should have at least 3 liters of water.
    To expand your capability or survive longer than a couple of days you will need a water purification system. This can be as simple as boiling water and iodine tablets, or a serious water filter.

2. Food

Backpack Meals

For a 3 Day Bug Out Bag Backpack Meals and Energy Bars can be sufficient. Back pack meals are freeze dried meals that you just add boiling water to. They are light weight and last a long time.
    Obviously you will need a longer term food solution in any type of wide area catastrophe, but for your basic Bug Out Bag backpack meals are a good set up.
    3. Clothing

Your Bug Out Bag clothes should be similar to what you would pack for a weekend backpacking trip.

• A pair of sturdy boots or shoes
    • A pair of long pants (preferably not blue jeans)
    • 2 Pairs of socks (preferably not cotton)
    • 2 Shirts (Maybe 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve for layering)
    • A Jacket that is both warm and protection from rain
    • Warm long underwear of some kind
    • A hat
    • A Bandana (30 Uses for a Bandana)

This list could go on for a while and many people would never dream of leaving their Bug Out Bag without twice that much, but in a pinch that set up could get you by for 3 days.
    Be sure to plan for the weather in your area: Do You have Seasonal Clothes in Your Bug Out Bag
    4. Shelter

They Don't have a ground tarp...

If you are going to survive for 3 days you are going to need protection from the elements and a warm dry place to sleep. You need at least:

1. Some type of tent or tarp and a way to set it up
    2. A ground tarp for underneath your shelter to stay dry or a sleeping pad (Never underestimate the importance of this)
    3. Some type of Bedroll, preferably a good sleeping bag.

5. First Aid Kit

Trying to cover everything you need in your Bug Out Bag First Aid Kit is another article entirely to itself, probably several more. I won’t try to cover it because I would surely leave something out.
    What I will do is recommend that you build your own First Aid Kit instead of buying one of those prepackaged first aid kits that claim to have 1001 things to get you through any emergency. While some are ok, in my experience these types of kits are usually filled with a lot of stuff you are unlikely to need and not enough of the things you will probably need a lot of.
    Plus, building your own first aid kit gives you an intimate knowledge of what it contains and how to use it. How many people buy one of those pre-made set ups and just assume they are prepared because there’s so much crap in it there must be what I need? Bad Idea.
    First Aid Gear: Have a Sawyer Extractor for Poisonous Snake Bites
    6. Basic Gear

Basic Gear sounds repetitive (what have I been talking about?) but it is my category for the things you absolutely cannot live without but don’t really fit well into another category. Many survivalists will not like this list because it is not exhaustive by any means, but again I will say: It will be enough to get you by for a couple of days.
    Rain Gear – at least 2 ways to stay dry in the rain. Poncho and Coat are good coupled with your Tent/Shelter
    Fire – A bare minimum of 3 different ways to make fire. I wrote more about this here: Do You have 5 Ways to Make Fire? With that you can get a flame but you will have to actually build the fire up too: 5 Ideas for Fire Tender.
    You’re also going to need something to cut your firewood and a knife uses too much energy long term: Choosing the Best Survival Chainsaw
    Cooking – Bare minimum here is a small pot/large cup to boil water in for both drinking and freeze dried meals. A small backpacking stove and fuel are better.
    Light – At least 2 dependable flashlights and a backup set of batteries for each.
    Survival Knife – The most used and most versatile tool in your Bug Out Bag is your survival knife. I wrote more about this here: 7 Things You Should Consider before Choosing Your Survival Knife
    7. Weapons

The fact of the matter is you are might be dealing with a “Without Rule of Law” situation, or close to it, and people are likely to do crazy things. Being prepared to defend yourself is part of the survivalist mindset.
    Obviously a firearm of some sort is best for this. (Though not in all situations) I will not go into specifics about what type of gun you should bring because that is hotly debated and really a personal choice. Take what is comfortable to you.
    Outside of guns your survival knife could be used as weapon if you had to. Also something as simple as a big walking stick or club can be a strong deterrent for bad guys. It’s all about giving yourself options.

More about Survival Weapons:
    The Survival Shotgun Part 1: 6 Reasons You Need One
    The Top 7 Ruger 10/22 Accessories for Survival Readiness
    5 Dollar Preps – Gun Cleaning and Sewing
    Once you get these basics covered you can begin to test and refine your Bug Out Bag with other useful gear and prepare it for longer term survival situations.
    Check out our new Survival Gear Store – Forge Survival Supply
    I recently started building my own Bug Out Bag and writing about everything I am packing: Starting My Bug Out Bag

Bug Out Bag – The 7 Types of Gear You Must Have to Survive

Prepper Theory behind 72 Hour Kits, BOBs, Every Day Carry and other Kits

By Phil Burns - Sat Aug 25, 7:07 pm

Behind every authoritative article on Prepping is an underlying theory that defines it.

As Preppers, we talk a lot about all kinds of equipment sets and go into detail about what goes in them and how to organize them. But what is the difference between these Kits and why do we have so many?

Prepper Theory is based on massive amounts of research. This includes studying reports of what has happened in a disaster, in-depth discussions with people who have lived through disasters and reading other people’s research.

It is also based on personal experience which, if not gained via living through a disaster, is gained by experimenting, drilling, simulation, etc. We also constantly search for reports of those who have been through disasters and identify what worked for them and what they wish they had done differently.
    This is why The APN created our Disaster Experiences section – these stories are the stories of those who have lived through a disaster and are rich with experience and information.

We who study Prepper Theory are constantly searching for failures (which are an opportunity to learn and improve) or successes (which teach us what worked and give us ideas of how to improve on what is working), both of which are able to teach us definitive lessons.

One of the easier and more practical Prepper Practices to research and experiment is emergency gear and the idea of being able to hastily grab what you need, when you need it.

Hasty Equipment Acquisition

General Mindset

The idea behind Hasty Equipment Acquisition is to establish Kits for particular situations that are immediately available. The specific contents of these Kits are determined through completing a Risk Analysis or Threat Assessment to determine what disasters or situations could occur in a particular location, the probability of it occurring, the level of damage that could occur and the immediate impact on victims. That data is essential to determining the most important part of the Assessment: What equipment is necessary to be able to survive and thrive in the given situation.

Through this process, multiple impact issues have to be taken into consideration such as:

• Will this situation cause the power to go out? In this situation, is having power critical to my survival?
    • Does this situation have the potential to effect water availability? What options will still be available to me, if any?
    • What is the threat to my personal safety in this situation? Does it require me to be prepared to defend myself? How strong of a defense is appropriate?
    • How does the impact of this situation change from day to night? Does it require full nighttime preparations?
    • How does this situation change between summer and winter? Is deep, heavy snow a potential issue based on my location?
    • How much time will this situation require me to utilize preparations?

This is absolutely an incomplete list but should stimulate some thought as to what an assessment requires.

Hasty Acquisition identifies how readily accessible particular items or Kits should be. This level goes from “on your person” or Tier 1, to “in the room with me” down to “in the basement packed away but accessible ”. Knowing how quickly you will need to be able to access your Kit based on the scenario is critical. In an earthquake, Hasty Acquisition is absolutely essential for critical Kits while evacuating prior to a hurricane allows for the Kit to be on a shelf in the basement.

Kit Identification

Once an understanding of potential threats has been developed, we are able to begin developing kits that will provide us with the items we will need to survive. These Kits go from the mundane to the highly specialized and based on scenario, may include other Kits as part of a larger Kit.

For example:

• A Pandemic Kit, designed to contain Personal Protective Gear in the event of a major biological outbreak
    • Medical Kit – more advanced than a simple First Aid Kit and potentially specialized to provide care for a known issue of a family member or friend – such as diabetes, allergy, etc
    • First Responder Kit – A much more advanced Medical Kit containing all basic life support systems required as a First Responder

In your Threat Assessment you may identify that your family is at risk for a Pandemic. If you live in a highly populated city, the risk of something spreading quickly and uncontrollably is much higher than it is for someone living remotely. Your First Responder Kit will be adapted to include the Medical Kit for particular issues for your family and will also include your Pandemic Kit for this situation. This demonstrates how Kits are highly specialized and that all Kits should be considered adaptable to include other Kits you know you will have access to.

Based on your Threat Assessment you should be able to identify the Kits you will need, the locations they should be at (office, home, car, etc) and how readily accessible they have to be.

Gear Identification

Most situations will call for common base items such as the ability to start a fire. These are generally considered the “Ten Essentials” and will be the subject of an upcoming article. Your Ten Essentials Kit should be part of every Tier of your Every Day Carry solution. Based on the redundancy rule we live by, “One is None and Two is One” it is essential that every specialized Kit know where its Ten Essentials is coming from. A Pandemic Kit need not have the Ten Essentials in it, but you should know that when grabbing that Kit, it is extending the Ten Essentials Kit that you got from…. where?

For a Specialized Kit, you have to study out the scenario and identify what will be needed. For example, the Pandemic Kit will need Personal Protective Gear; for biological issues this includes a “bunny suit”, personal air filtration system, gloves, shoe covers, etc. The exact list must be customized to your personal needs. This list is created by research into the scenario and learning what is needed.

Once you know what gear is needed for the situation you are working on, quality becomes a big consideration because quality is equal to cost. If a piece of equipment is absolutely essential and absolutely must function properly, it is prudent to seek out the top quality and invest in the most reliable piece of equipment you can. Other items may be needed but not essential. In this case, it may be prudent to purchase a lesser quality item and save some money. You can also balance this with purchasing multiples of lesser quality items to establish redundancy if the cost difference is very large.

If you are working on personal defense, your firearm should be the best, most reliable tool you can afford to purchase. You should never skimp on equipment that is absolutely essential to sustaining and defending your life. On the other hand, buying a 10 pack of bic lighters is typically cheaper than buying a Zippo.

As you identify the Gear you will need in your Kit, determine the level of reliability it requires so that you’re able to decide what you should purchase.

Popular Types of Kits

There are many Kits that are so essential and basic that they are frequently referred to by name without much definition. Some of these can get confusing and knowing what the difference is isn’t always evident. Here are several of them:

72 Hour Kit

This Kit is specifically designed to sustain life for 3 days. The three days designation comes from a couple of factors: 3 days worth of food and water is about the max for a portable system, even then it can become too heavy and cumbersome. Three days is generally considered a reasonable amount of time for assistance to arrive and extend your supplies. If you are mobile, 3 days is a reasonable amount of time to get to a new location where further resources can be acquired.

This Kit has a high Hasty Acquisition rating – you should store it somewhere that it is quickly and easily accessible as you may need to grab it on the run.

Bug Out Bag

The Bug Out Bag, or BOB, is specifically designed to be on the move. It typically contains some food and water but it is generally considered a more primitive system kit and will have tools and equipment to acquire, prepare and consume food and water. It does not have a time designation to it as it is expected to potentially sustain you for an extended period of time. It focuses heavily on personal defense and relies heavily on skill.

Every Day Carry

Every Day Carry or EDC is a system to always have on your person or within reach, items that may be essential to you given a wide range of scenarios. It also includes the mindset of Concealed Firearm Carry and always being prepared to defend yourself and your family.

Car Repair Kit

The Car Repair Kit is always stored in your vehicle and contains the items and tools needed to make expedient repairs to your vehicle to avoid being stranded. These items typically include tire repair kits, wiring and hose repair, jumper cables and a tow rope.

Car Survival Kit

If you were to be stranded in your vehicle, especially in a remote location during winter, the only things you would have to allow you to survive are those that are currently in your vehicle. This Kit is intended to sustain you during this time and to help you get to or call for help.

Office Kit

Many of us spend half of our day away from our home and vehicle in an office. If a disaster strikes while you’re at work, your Office Kit should be capable of sustaining and protecting you. This is a highly personalized Kit as we all work in different areas.

Get Home Bag

This Kit is typically stored in your vehicle. If you are away from the home and a disaster strikes which makes it impossible for you to drive home, you’re going to be walking. The intention of this Kit is to provide you with everything you will need to make that walk. It should include a change of clothes, especially if you typically wear clothing and shoes that are unsuitable for a several mile walk. The contents will vary based on how far you expect you will need to be hoofing it and what type of environment you will be traveling through.

Kit Building

One of the most important components of any Kit is the container. The appropriate type of container will vary based on the intended use of the Kit and the mobility expected for the Kit. A Bug Out Bag will require a very sturdy and high quality backpack while a Pandemic Kit might be in a large Tupperware container. In some cases, the container must be the best quality you can find and afford, in other cases it just needs to hold stuff.

Other considerations for your Kit container are based on environment and expectations. Consider whether pests will be attracted to the Kit while in storage and if you need to make sure it is rodent proof – especially if there is food stored in it. Also consider your Risk Analysis – if flooding is a potential issue, does your Kit need to be water proof?

Some Kits may require multiple containers, a Heavy Medical Kit has the potential to need several containers. If this is the case, be sure to clearly label the outside of the container to make it easy to identify which one you need.

Getting started building all your Kits can be a daunting task, pick the one that provides you with the greatest risk mitigation and start there. By doing this, you’ll be able to get to a good comfort level quickly and you won’t feel such an urgency to get everything done.

Prepper Theory behind 72 Hour Kits, BOBs, Every Day Carry and other Kits - American Preppers Network
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Episode-994- Why the Shotgun is the Ultimate Survival Weapon

Posted on October 9, 2012 by Modern Survival| 35 Comments

Episode-994- Why the Shotgun is the Ultimate Survival Weapon [ 1:11:16 ] Hide Player | Play in Popup | Download

For an All Around Survival Tool an 18 Inch Smooth Bore with Iron Sites is Hard to Beat.

Every day I hear from people who are worried that society will break down. Some fear it will be a big old TEOTWAWKI and others are more concerned about a regional SHTF scenario where they may be on their own for perhaps a few days to a few weeks.
    Most of these people are considering some sort of semi auto rifle with the two most prominent of course being the AR or AK platform. Often they are considering the AK because they read or heard how an AK can fire if dipped in mud. Well I ain’t here to settle this old debate today, I will just say most intelligent people don’t dip their weapons in mud.
    The bigger issue is most of these people are not “gun guys”. Most of them perhaps have a 22 and may be a handgun, many have yet to buy that first gun. What they are most concerned with is defense of a home or neighborhood or being able to feed themselves from the field. Well friends if that is you, nothing beats the shotgun, today I tell you why.
    Join me today as I discuss…

• The primary needs of a survival weapon
      • Protection from a defensive position
      • One shot stopping power
      • Reasonable rate of fire
      • Accurate at defensive ranges
      • Able to fill multiple roles

• Survival weapon roles
      • Protect property and life
      • Kill large to medium sized game
      • Kill small game (likely more abundant)

• Shotgun Types
      • Break action (single + double)
      • Bolt action (sort of a novelty)
      • Pump
      • Semi Auto

• Ammo Types
      • Bird Shot
      • Buck Shot
      • Slugs
      • Less than Lethal

• Configuring a Flexible Shotgun
      • Improved Cylinder Choke – most versatile
      • Consider multiple barrels
      • The smooth bore rifle sighted option (yes you can shoot birds and bunnies with it)
      • See Thru Saddle Mount Scope Rings
      • Don’t over build it

Resources for today’s show…

Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.

This entry was posted in Podcasts and tagged firearms, shotgun, weapons. Bookmark the permalink.

← No TSP Today, We Will Return Tomorrow

Episode-995- Jackie Clay of Backwoods Home Magazine on Off Grid Homesteading →

35 Responses to Episode-994- Why the Shotgun is the Ultimate Survival Weapon

Why the Shotgun is the Ultimate Survival Weapon | The Survival Podcast

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The One Most Important Question Survivalists Can Ask Themselves: Why Are You Trying to Survive?

Dan and Sheila Gendron, Contributors

With the news being what it is, the world has now come to the point at which a huge shake-up is undeniable – to anyone who has 2 cents worth of brain matter between their ears. So hordes are joining the stampede to become “survivalists”. The movement has even spurred the development of the “survival industry”, with commercials now being played on mainstream media stations for freeze-dried storage foods and solar generators.

There is an old saying, “If you don't know where you're going, any road will do.” So if you are going to go the path of being a “survivalist”, first you'll want to know where you are going – and why.

Plenty of alternative news outlets are trumpeting that “martial law” is soon to be implemented – and the facts they present in support can only lead to that conclusion. So everyone wants to survive martial law. But what is on the other side of the marital law? The reality is that martial law can't go on forever, but what will society/government look like after it has been dismantled?

If 9/11 caused so much restriction – by law or by fiat – of travel, of personal dignity rights, of speech, of redress of grievances, what will the next event (planned by man or by the hand of The Almighty) bring? Will you take the chip to be given your ration of food? If you allow your children to stand naked to be viewed by pedophiles in order to shop in a mall or fly on a plane, will you say no to anything else demanded of you?

Another major story all over the Internet – alternative and mainstream outlets – is that virtually the entire world's economy is about to collapse – again, a foregone conclusion. Not a matter of if, but when. Eventually, the creditors demand their due. So everyone wants to survive an economic collapse and the chaos that will bring. But what is on the other side of the collapse?

Putting aside all the sensationalism, putting aside all the hype and all the wishes, the most likely scenario is that a new monetary system, digital in format, no cash, will be instituted and run by the same bankers who run the dollar systems now – if not the same people, people with the same heart. They will tout the new system as being just like before (hush . . . except that everyone's every financial move will be tracked, incoming and outgoing).

It will usher in the removal of personal privacy and the instilling of fear. Fear that stops you from doing something, not because it's not right, but because someone says you shouldn't do it – usually because it does not benefit them. Is that alright with you? Will you join that society? Is that why you want to survive – to end up just as entrapped, even more so, than you are now?

Far too many people die soon after reaching retirement. The reason for this is that they have spent their entire careers with the only goal being that retirement. They did not have a vision of life after retirement, and so they had none. An unfortunate fact.

We have met many people who believe that they truly want to be survivalists. They have many reasons for wanting to survive, based on what they understand of the news. But over time they show that they still want to have one foot on third base, and so will never make it to home plate. They really don't want their comfy lives upset, they don't really want to have to give up their 62” plasma screen TV, they don't really want to eat foods they actually have to cook, they want to be able to whip out their credit card at Trader Joe's forever . . . but they want to be out of the way when TSHTF, too. Their vision is to “hole-up” in a sanctuary until the noise stops, and then go back to the same rat race they were in before – the same rat race that got us all in the predicament in which we now find ourselves as a society.

So why bother? If your ultimate goal is to save your neck so that you can go back to the same old same old, why would you put yourself through this? It's like quitting smoking and starting again, knowing that you'll just have to go through the withdrawal all over again. To be more exact, an ancient book of wisdom talked of “a dog returning to its own vomit.” Why put yourself through that? Why dislocate yourself and your family, mentally as well as physically, if you are ultimately happy right where you are?

If you are contented to fight your way through the morning commute so that you can be given a paycheck for performing a job you hate just so you can still afford your $8 Latte Enema at the local coffee chain and you can use that money to buy your kids every throw-away toy the commercials tell them they want, STAY THERE! You won't be comfortable outside of those bonds.

The right answer to the question proposed in the title is: I want to survive because there is a better way to live, regardless of what the world “out there” does or does not do.

I want to be paid by nature for my own labor and that of my family (by blood or otherwise) in being good stewards of the Earth.

I want to help others who are also willing to work toward a common goal, each lightening the load of the other.

I want to look out my window and be invigorated by the Earth's natural beauty before my eyes, by the stars in the sky.

I want to be judged by my acts of kindness, not by how much money I can obtain.

I want to give something of real value to my children and to theirs.

It's not impossible. It's not a foolish wish. It is being lived now by those who have stopped complying with that which is wrong. It is being lived now by those who know the depth of their own power and use it – not to impose evil acts upon another, but to lead a good and natural life for themselves. It is being lived now by those who choose to survive – not to survive the chaos, but to survive the beating down of the human spirit so that they may be a beacon to renew that spirit in light.

It ain't easy – but it sure is worth it.

Read other articles by Dan and Sheila HERE.

Dan & Sheila are the authors of Surviving Survivalism – How to Avoid Survivalism Culture Shock, and hosts of the podcast, Still Surviving with Dan & Sheila. For questions about space in their Intentional Survivalist Community or other survivalist issues, they can be reached at surviving@lavabit.com

Activist Post: The One Most Important Question Survivalists Can Ask Themselves: Why Are You Trying to Survive?