Page 263 of 844 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313363763 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 8437
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Chinese Plant Compound Wipes out Cancer in 40 Days, Says New Research

Anthony Gucciardi
    NaturalSociety
    October 18, 2012

A little-known plant with a truly bizarre name is now making headlines as a cancer killer, with the compound of the plant vanishing tumors in mice with pancreatic cancer. Known as the ‘thunder god vine’ or lei gong teng, the Chinese plant is actually integrated into Chinese medicine and has been used for ages in remedying a number of conditions including rheumatoid arthritis.

According to the new research out of the University of Minnesota’s Masonic Cancer Center, the thunder god plant compound led to no signs of tumors after a 40 day period — even after discontinuing the treatment. Published in the journal Science Translational Medicine and funded by the National Institutes of Health, even the scientists working on the project were stunned by the anti-cancer properties of the compound. Known to contain something known as triptolide, which has been identified as a cancer fighter in previous research, it is thought to be the key component that may be responsible for the anti-tumor capabilities.

Study leader and vice chairman of research at the Cancer Center explained to Bloomberg how he was blown away by the effects of the simple plant:
    “This drug is just unbelievably potent in killing tumor cells,” he said.
    And just like with numerous other powerful substances like turmeric and ginger, mainstream science is still slowly confirming what many traditional practitioners have known for their entire lives. This is, of course, due to the fact that there is simply no money for major corporations in researching the healing powers of natural herbs and compounds such as the compound found in the thunder god vine. Turmeric and ginger, for example, have been found to be amazing anti-cancer substances that are virtually free compared to expensive and dangerous cancer drugs.

Nevertheless, the Big Pharma sponsored corporate scientists have managed to ignore these spices as much as possible. In fact, they have even been caught time and time again faking thousands of studies to fraudulently demonstrate the supposed value of pharmaceutical drugs pushed by major pharma juggernauts — many of which are later forced to pay millions in fines which only slightly stack up against their billions in profits.

Profits that are threatened by the many real studies that were performed by scientists examining the rejeuvenating power of cheap ingredients like turmeric, which has been found by peer-reviewed research available on PubMed to positively influence over 590 conditions.

While it is great news that this study is bringing the beneficial effects of inexpensive and near-free plant compounds to light, the bad news is that the individuals responsible for the research are actually looking to create a pharmaceutical drug from the essential component triptolide. A drug that will seek FDA approval and ultimately be patented, nutritionally ruined, and sold for exorbitant amounts of cash. Instead, just get your hands on some thunder god vine for yourself.

Chinese Plant Compound Wipes Out Cancer in 40 Days Says New Research

Explore More:

1. Research: Gold and Tea Outperform Chemo in Fighting Cancer
    2. Mushroom Compound Suppresses Prostate Tumors
    3. Turmeric, Curcumin Naturally Block Cancer Growth
    4. Research Shows How to Prevent Pancreatic Cancer from Developing
    5. Natural Cancer-Fighting Spice Reduces Tumors by 81%
    6. Cancer Research Fraud Destroys Mainstream Medical Cancer Industry

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Green Tea May Inhibit Breast Cancer

October 22, 2012
    by UPI - United Press International, Inc.

LOS ANGELES (UPI) — An oral green tea extract — Polyphenon E — may inhibit tumor cell growth, migration and invasion, U.S. researchers suggested.

Dr. Katherine D. Crew of Columbia University Medical Center in New York and colleagues said they made the discovery during a secondary analysis of an earlier randomized, placebo-controlled study of Polyphenon E in a group of 40 women with hormone receptor-negative breast cancer.

“Many preclinical studies looked at epigallocatechin-3-gallate, or EGCG, which is one of the main components of green tea, and the various possible mechanisms of its action against cancer, but it is very difficult to do those same kinds of studies in humans,” Crew said.

“This study was too small to say for sure if green tea will prevent breast cancer, but it may move us forward in terms of understanding anti-tumor mechanisms.”

In the primary analysis, 40 women were randomly assigned to 400 milligrams, 600 mg or 800 mg of Polyphenon E or to placebo twice daily for six months. During the study, the researchers collected blood and urine samples from participants at baseline and at two, four and six months.

Women assigned to the extract had a significant reduction in hepatocyte growth factor levels — important to breast cancer development — at two months compared with women assigned the placebo.

However, at the four-month and six-month follow-ups, the difference was no longer statistically significant, the study said.

The findings were presented at the annual American Association for Cancer Research International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research in Los Angeles.

Green Tea May Inhibit Breast Cancer : Personal Liberty Digest™
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Food Scarcity: A Ticking Time Bomb

October 22, 2012 by Peggy Layton

According to the United Nations, world grain reserves are so dangerously low that severe weather in the United States or other food-exporting countries could trigger a major hunger crisis next year.

Check the labels on the food you buy the next time you’re in the supermarket; you’ll see that it has traveled a long way to get to you. The sad truth is that the majority of food products we buy are not produced locally. They came from countries such as China, Taiwan, Mexico, Brazil, Peru and Italy. This has significant consequences for us because it makes us dependent on these foreign countries.

If we don’t purchase our food locally, then we must rely on the world’s economic stability and the food transport chain sustaining us. As the price of fuel goes up, the price of food goes up along with it. Wages don’t go up at the same rate as inflation, so people must sacrifice in other areas just to buy food.

An alarming 17.2 million households are on food stamps right now. What good are food stamps if there is no food to purchase? These food shortages will be so extreme that the government won’t be able to bail out anyone. The food simply will not be available.

We Have Hunger in America
    Fourteen million children in the United States already go to bed hungry every night. Families can’t pay their bills, and they have stopped spending money.

This causes a domino effect in which businesses will be forced to lay off workers. Without enough jobs, food will be the greatest currency we have. If we have bulk food stored away, we can barter with it if necessary. In a time of crisis, food will be more important than money.

When the shortages hit our hometown grocery stores and we are paying double or triple for food, we will wish we had listened and squirreled away some extra food for hard times. This is why it is so extremely important to obtain a stockpile of bulk food. We can rely only on our own stockpiles.

Prepare For The Coming Food Shortage By Stockpiling Food

Grow your own food: You can do this in a very small space. I have heard of people growing enough food to feed their families on their balcony in an apartment. You need to get non-GMO seeds (those that are not genetically modified) so you can grow your own food and save the seeds each year. Learn how to bottle, dehydrate and preserve the food that you grow.

Buy locally grown food: We all need to know where we can get locally grown food. If you support local farmers, then they will not be forced to export their food to other countries in order to survive. Having good relationships with food suppliers is an asset in hard times. You can add to your own garden food by purchasing extra items from the farmers.

Stock up on food: You absolutely must start to stockpile reserves of food for your family. Fall is a great time to stock up on extra food because there are case lot sales going on in the supermarkets. Fresh apples, potatoes, onions, carrots and winter squash are available and can be purchased to stock up for the winter. Store these fresh foods in a cool place so they keep well.

The most important foods you should stockpile are things that have a long shelf life.

Foods That Store Well

• Canned foods such as vegetables, fruits, meats, soups, juices.
    • Whole grains and rice (non-GMO).
    • Dried beans and legumes.
    • Pastas and cereals.
    • Dried foods such as powdered milk, dried eggs and dried cheese.
    • Dried fruits and vegetables.
    • Herbs, spices and seasonings.
    • Honey and other sweeteners.
    • Baking items like baking powder, soda, yeast and salt.
    • Olive oil stores the longest.
    • Water (1-gallon per person per day).

Non-Food Items To Store

Ready-To-Eat Meals (Just Add Water)

An emergency could last from three days to three months. I believe we need to have quick, easy meals that don’t require much effort to make. There are several companies selling premade meals. Meals that have all the ingredients in them and you just add water and cook them for 15 minutes. I especially like the ones called Go Foods. The name stands for On The Go Foods for families. The things I like the most about these meals are that they are healthy, quick to fix (15 minutes), and the shelf life is 15 to 25 years. There are no chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, trans fats, hydrogenated oils, GMO foods or MSG in their meals or food items.

–Peggy Layton

Food Scarcity: A Ticking Time Bomb : Personal Liberty Digest™

Yogurt for Dogs

Yes, yogurt benefits dogs. I have been putting a tablespoon of plain yogurt in my dogs' food for each of their meals(twice a day). They love it.

There are so many benefits of dogs eating yogurt:

*promotes a healthy digestive tract
    *antibacterial
    *helps eliminate excess gas
    *probiotic

Our sweet girl Tessie gets tummy aches from eating things she shouldn't(bugs!). This has helped when she has an episode and vomits. You wanted to know that, didn't you?

What works for your dogs to help their tummies?

Please see my disclosure policy.

Posted 25th June by LivingSoAbundantly

Living So Abundantly: Yogurt for Dogs

Homemade OxyClean

What a great inexpensive laundry fix! This came from The Grocery Cart Challenge and I was so excited to give it a try. I feel like I go through gallons of Shout at a time, so I needed to step up my spot removal a notch. When you have a child, you never quite know what you'll be praying comes out in the wash. Let's stop that conversation there!

*Updated 9/28/11*
    I've been using this concoction for over two years and I've had ALOT of questions about this Homemade Oxyclean, so I thought I'd show everyone exactly how I use it.

Here is my plastic dishpan that I have stashed in my laundry room and a batch of the Oxyclean mixed up and ready to go. I've found it much more effective to soak the stains, and not put it directly into the washing machine.

As for baking soda vs. washing soda: I use baking soda and have found it to work really well. I don't use washing soda and have never had the clarity of mind to give it a try. Someday I will.

Here is one of my son's jumpers that I want to get some weird funk out of. It is white and bright blue, and I've used this mixture on a whole rainbow of different colors and never had any fading or bleaching. I would hesitate to use this on brand new colored garments that might bleed, but I've never had any issues.

So I pour some directly on the stain (probably a 1/4 of the whole amount in the jar depending on how many items I need to soak), fold the item on top of itself, put another clothing item on top, and repeat.

This is how I left the clothing sit for an afternoon, (hello gray yoga pants with chocolate ice cream on them...tee hee... I was working hard that night!) then threw the dishpan contents into the washing machine.

After I rinsed out the jar, (the baking soda leaves it a little gritty) this is how I store the empty jar in my laundry cabinet. That way I always have the recipe and a container to shake it in close at hand.

I also have a free download for a Laundry Stain Cheat Sheet, and this recipe is included on it!

Homemade OxyClean

recipe from The Grocery Cart Challenge

1 cup water
    1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
    1/2 cup baking soda

Mix together and soak laundry in it for 20 minutes to overnight and then wash as usual. Or you can just skip the water and pour the peroxide and baking soda directly into the wash with your laundry soap and wash as usual.

Creatively Domestic: Homemade OxyClean

Sunday, October 21, 2012

OpenCarry Maps and Laws By State

Sunday, October 21, 2012
    Alcohol Can Be a Gas!: Fueling an Ethanol Revolution for the 21st Century

Alcohol Can Be a Gas! is the only comprehensive book ever written on alcohol fuel production and use for home and farm. Until now, it has been very difficult for farmers, contractors, alternative energy aficionados, those concerned about Peak Oil, and small-scale entrepreneurs to obtain good, accurate information on producing alcohol, or on converting vehicles to run on alcohol fuel. And with all the conflicting news stories about ethanol, the public finds it difficult to sort fact from fiction. This text, which has been reviewed by scientists around the world, is the definitive reference work on alcohol fuel.

Alcohol Can Be A Gas! contains 640 8-1/2 by 11 pages, with 514 charts, photos, and illustrations to reinforce the information-dense text. The book is geared for the nonscientific reader, but its 473 endnotes provide the technical foundation behind the accessible prose. A 700-word glossary and a 6300-entry index extend the book's usefulness.

This book is the distilled essence of the most pertinent information ever assembled in one place on alcohol fuel, the technology that can help us finally become producers of almost limitless energy, instead of extractors of finite resources.

Alcohol Can Be a Gas!: Fueling an Ethanol Revolution for the 21st Century

The Homestead Survival: Alcohol Can Be a Gas!: Fueling an Ethanol Revolution for the 21st Century

Shooting Bench Plans

Here is a nice sturdy permanent shooting bench for those of you fortunate enough to have a private place to shoot, or perhaps for clubs looking for an economical bench for the range.

We have been searching for plans on the web for quite some time to no avail, so we decided to come up with something for you shooting enthusiasts out there.

This project took approximately 3 hours to complete and cost $120 (summer of 2005) in treated lumber and screws.

go to the link for the plans
    http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Harvesting And Preserving Your Own Seeds Recycle What You Grow

3 Comments Posted on October 14, 2012

There are a variety of reasons for harvesting your own seeds; some personal, some environmental. Perhaps you have a variety that you like and you are concerned that seed companies may discontinue stocking it. You saw some wildflowers while on an outdoor hike that you’d like to grow in your own garden. You have a heritage variety and you want to continue growing it in future years. Or put some away in a seed bank for an emergency and preserve it for several years.

Whatever the reason, you don’t need to be a botanist or a farmer to do it. If you can grow plants, you can produce your own seeds. There are however, a few things you may want to know before you get started.

Self-pollinators are commonly referred to as “perfect flowers” as they contain all the parts to successfully pollinate themselves. Other plants are ‘self-incompatible’, identifying their own pollen as foreign material. Pollen must find its way from one plant to the next. This method is preferable for the survival of the species because it ensures that the plants produce genetically diverse seeds. Seeds that contain different genetic information or traits then the original plant. This enables the plant to better adapt itself to the environment it is in, or acquire traits that will help it become more disease resistant. Self-pollinators on the other hand, essentially produce clones, which makes them more susceptible to any problems that may arise.

Be aware that if you want cross-pollination to occur in your garden, you need to make your garden favorable to pollinating insects or be prepared to do all the pollinating yourself. Grow plants nearby that attract pollinators–butterfly bush, Queen Anne’s lace, bee balm, salvia, and cleome are a few, and avoid using chemical sprays that will kill all insects both harmful and beneficial.

In some cases you might want to keep cross-pollination from taking place. Plants that are closely related, for example different varieties of melons, will cross-pollinate producing seeds that are a mix of the two varieties. If you want to keep your varieties true, plant similar species of plants on opposite ends of your garden.

Open Pollenated, Heirloom, and Hybrid
    Before you decide to save the seeds from a particular plant you will need to know whether they are Open-pollinated, Heirloom or Hybrid. Open-pollinated plants are those pollinated–naturally or through human intervention–by the same species of plant. Heirlooms are older plant varieties that have maintained relatively unchanged in a particular region for several generations, and all are open-pollinated. Hybrids are plants that have been cross-pollinated using two different species of the same genus of plant. They are bred professionally under controlled conditions, to produce certain desirable traits. Grocery store produce is usually hybridized and often bred for mass production or large-scale farming. Many of the characteristics that are bred into these plants, such as thick skins for transport, or high water content for size, these are not desirable for small-scale gardening.

You don’t really want to save seeds from produce from the market unless your positive it’s not a hybrid. Hybrids are tricky and sometimes the plants are so genetically modified you may grow non-producing plants altogether. Checking the seed packet or catalogue of the grower is one way to find out whether seed are hybrids. Packets will often say F1 to indicate hybrids or OP to indicate open-pollinated. Stick with heirloom quality if possible.

Harvesting Seeds
    If this will be your first time saving seeds, start out with some easy plants that flawlessly produce seeds without any intervention. Annuals such as cosmos, marigolds, pansies, corn flowers and many others are some of the easiest. Collect seeds from the highest quality and healthiest plants. A good specimen is disease and pest free, has bright foliage and flowers, and grows vigorously.

Shake flowers into paper bags after you have let them turned to seeds by dying on the stem. Let them age a bit in the sun, on the stem so their nice and ripe then harvest them.

Seeds from fruits and vegetables should be collected when plants are at their peak, before they are over-ripe and decay has set in. Some vegetables such as beans are the exception and should be harvested when the pods are dry. Seeds from most fruits and vegetables are incased inside a wet environment (the part usually eaten). In the case of very wet pulp such as tomatoes, the seeds can be washed from the pulp and then laid out to dry on newspaper or a screen. The same can be done with pumpkins, squash and other soft pulp vegetables. In the case of harder pulp fruits and vegetables they are simply opened up and the seeds removed manually.

Storing Seeds

The best way to store seeds is to package them in paper envelopes or bags since they allow for good air circulation and don’t sweat. However, any container will do, keeping in mind that humidity and lack of air circulation will cause mold, disease and prompt seeds to germinate prematurely. Film canisters for one aren’t recommended as the plastic promotes humidity and stagnant air. The temperature should be cool to make longer storage possible-refrigerator storage will work if you can’t find a naturally cool place. Be sure to write the date, name of plant and any growing instructions you are aware of on the envelope or package. It’s fun to create packaging to give the seeds away as gifts. Use specialty papers for the envelopes or create fancy labels to mark them.

Store seeds carefully by placing envelopes inside large glass jars with a bag of silica or powdered milk. These products absorb excess moisture. Reuse the tiny bags of silica gel that come inside new shoes–dry them for a few minutes at a very low temperature in your oven. Alternatively, make a tiny package of powdered milk by pouring a pile into the centre of a piece of breathable fabric or tissue paper. Pull the corners together and close it up with a piece of string or elastic to create a sachet. The best jars for storage are wide mouth mason jars used for canning. You can make your own survival seeds and keep them for 10 years they have the proper airtight seal that is essential for long-term storage using a Seal a Meal and my Repurposed Capri Sun trick. <- Click here

Testing Your Seeds
    If you are saving your seeds for extended periods of time, test the seeds before you use them to see if they will still germinate. This is easily done by placing 20 or so seeds onto a half-piece of damp paper towel. Fold it over so that the seeds are covered. Then place it in a plastic baggy with a few pinholes punched into it and set it aside in a dark, warm place. Bear in mind that some seeds need light to germinate and some have other specific requirements-some may need to be soaked first, or may require a certain temperature for germination. Knowing your seeds will help you in this process: however most seeds will do fine with the standard procedure. After a week check to see how many seeds have germinated. Again some seeds will have a longer germination period than others, so if they haven’t germinated by week’s end, wait another week to be certain. If a fair number of seeds have germinated then the seeds are good and can be used with little trouble. If few seeds germinate, increase the number of seeds sown per inch or don’t bother using them at all.

Plants for Beginners

• bachelor’s button
    • nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus)
    • forget-me-not
    • pansy/viola (Viola x wittrockiana)
    • marigold (Tangetes)
    • foxglove (digitalus)
    • snapdragon (Antirrhinum)
    • poppy (Papaver)
    • love-in-a-mist (Nigella damascena)
    • blanket flower (Gaillardia)
    • columbine (Aquilegia vulgaris)
    • black-eyed susan (Rudbeckiahirta)
    • cosmos
    • zinnia
    • tomatoes
    • beans
    • squash
    • pumpkin

Amy Wexler ~

Please click here and like me on Facebook, Thank You!!!

References: You Grow Girl October 2008

Here is a template for a seed packet to decorate and give as a gift or keep for yourself to admire click on the template and print
    Here is a template for a seed packet click and print

http://inspirewild.com/2012/10/14/ha...what-you-grow/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.