Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC
    Ok, I'm not going to even say I know computers even a little bit, but the email address I use for Alipac is my yahoo email. (I have anoher email for personal use.) THEN, I added the Alipac email address to my Contacts, so yahoo will recognize it as an "ok" sender, and not spam.

Also, I have stopped using McAfee and Norton anti-virus, anti-spyware programs because 1) they consume a lot of RAM and thereby slow my comp down and 2) I always seem to have problems with these independent programs.

I got a free anti-virus program from AVG or Grisoft. I discovered it when I was researching good anti-virus programs after my frustrations with Norton. I have had ZERO problems with AVG. It is excellent, and doesn't consume as much memory as Norton or McAfee. NOR does it require so much user maintenance either, which is important to me. AVG, by Grisoft, has a fullblown program but you have to pay for it. So far, I have been using the free version, and it has worked well (over a year now).

BTW, I am using XP. I have no idea if this is making sense to any of you, as I am compuer-challenged. LOL. Just telling you what I have done to date. I am extremely happy with AVG. That's my 2 cents.

Ex_OC

I’m no expert either, but I have been in the Computer Hardware / Software industry for over 30 years (all the way back to main-frame days) so I have my preferences, and that free AVG is what I like as well. (No nonsense – get the job done stuff)

I also once a month I go to Trend Micro's FREE online virus scanner.
    (Trend Microâ„¢ HouseCall is an application for checking whether your computer has been infected by viruses, spyware, or other malware. HouseCall performs additional security checks to identify and fix vulnerabilities to prevent reinfection. )

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (find and run) “Scan Now. It's Free!â€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

[quote="carolinamtnwoman"]I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but.......
    We are up against some mighty powerful forces, people! We had a massive impact on Congress last year when we helped to defeat the two comprehensive immigration reform bills, and we have continued to strongly impact other issues and legislation as well. We're growing stronger every day as a major force of opposition and one to be reckoned with, so it would come as no surprise if attempts were made to sabotage our operation and those of others.

I'm so glad this discussion has come up. I've had some very strange things going on with my computer and internet service, and recently my computer tech....whom I've known for ages and trust implicitly...mentioned that it's his opinion that the difficulties I've been having are the result of ill intent aimed in this direction. Nothing as sinister as having anything to do with the NAU, or anything like that, but more along the lines of angry pro-illegal groups who would like to throw a wrench into the works.

I had some problems which started at the height of the amnesty fight last summer but nothing major. However, in the last few months I've had to have my computer worked on 5 times. Three when someone got in and played all hell with my programs, files, introduced malware, etc. and when I've had to have 2 hard drives replaced in the last 3 months because they were infected and so screwed up there was no repairing the damage.

Also, over the past few months I've stopped receiving alerts and emails from both ALIPAC and numbersusa, as well as Tom Tancredo and have received no news letters concerning illegal immigration at all. I've found myself locked out of Joe Arpaio's site and Andrew Thomas' Immigration Journal, and a few times out of ALIPAC when I tried to log in.

Even more disturbing is that my internet service has been being interrupted.... found to have been disconnected when I call to report a problem and the phone company has no idea why this is happening although I am apparently not the only one and the good news it that they have credited prior restoration charges and don't hit me those anymore.

Like MSherry, earlier this week I found out that my security system had uninstalled......"all by itself" Fortunately I was able to re-install it with no problems and it doesn't seem that any harm was done.

Anyway, after the 2nd time he replaced my hard drive, my tech guy brought up the fact that he felt the cause of these problems is my political involvement and "those with an opposing viewpoint who might prefer that all of you shut up and just go away". To me, that sounded a little too over the top, but he said it is something to think about. As he pointed out, this is not kindergarten playground stuff we're dealing with here, ALIPAC has been openly recognized as a threat to a powerful special interest sector in continuing to get what they want, they are not used to being challenged and don't like it much. Therefore, who is say who would not do what in order to slow us down, or stop us, especially when it's critical that we be working at full capacity. As he said....it's not unheard of and there's an awful lot of tech savvy folks out there capable of doing all kinds of stuff.

Whatever is going on, I agree that we all need to be on our toes and maybe take some precautions we wouldn't normally think of such as staying away from sites we're not familiar with. One other thing he cautioned me against is clicking on threads started by obvious trolls and clicking on profile info of both they and anyone else who seems trollish, argumentetive, etc. as tempting as it might be.

Hopefully we will be able to get to the bottom of this!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    HEY EVERYONE! See ALIPAC's posting about fighting back against internet spying on our "Federal Legislation to Support or Oppose" Forum.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-98930.html

Has a letter to send to the Senate and House to oppose government surveillance if you haven't already done it.

Glenn Beck had someone on talking about an article in the New Yorker that the government wants to have the access to read every email in the nation and beyond. It would be good to get that article and work from there.

If our constitutional right are being denied or interfered with we have a HUGE lawsuit against the government or the people perpetrating it.

Has anyone got any NumbersUSA emails lately. I've only gotten one. I thought maybe there were no alerts right now.

LOL I just got one from Numbers as I typed. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

LAST YEAR I WAS ALSO HAVING ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. I HAD AOL AT THE TIME AND MY CONNECTION WOULD GO DOWN CONSTANTLY. I HAD TO CHANGE MY ISP AND NOW EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE. ANOTHER FRIEND OF MINE WHO HAS AOL IS HAVING THOSE PROBLEMS. FURTHERMORE IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED ON AOL MESSAGE BOARDS. SEVERAL PEOPLE IN THE IMMIGRATION DEBATE BOARD REPORTED HAVING THESE PROBLEMS SO BAD THAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR NEW ISP. I HAD TO UNINSTALL ALL AOL SOFTWARE FROM MY COMPUTER BECAUSE IT KEPT "FIGHTING" WITH MY NEW ISP. I WOULD TRY TO GO ONLINE AND MY NEW ISP WOULD PUT ME ON....AND THEN AOL WOULD COME UP WITHOUT ME BRINGING IT UP, AND THEN MY CONNECTION WOULD FAIL. HAD TO TAKE ALL OF IT OFF AND THEN IT WAS WORKING FINE.

Another good reason to use a limited user account for general use, and an administrator ONLY when needed. Viri and such can only do very limited amount of damage to a persons account, and NOTHING to system files, if the user does not have admin rights. Create a limited user account for surfing folks..

AOL is a virus as far as I am concerned. They are over-priced and WAY over bugged. Drop AOL ASAP, get a decent plan from your phone company for half the price and twice the speed.

Those two alone should save you MANY headaches.. remember, limited user account and no AOL...

Another good reason to use a limited user account for general use, and an administrator ONLY when needed. Viri and such can only do very limited amount of damage to a persons account, and NOTHING to system files, if the user does not have admin rights. Create a limited user account for surfing folks..

AOL is a virus as far as I am concerned. They are over-priced and WAY over bugged. Drop AOL ASAP, get a decent plan from your phone company for half the price and twice the speed.

Those two alone should save you MANY headaches.. remember, limited user account and no AOL...
    I AM UNDERSTANDING YOU TO MEAN THE MULTIPLE USERS THAT YOU GET WITH AN ISP ACCOUNT. ONLY ONE IS THE "ADMINISTRATOR" AND THE REST ARE DEPENDENT ON THE "ADMINISTRATOR" TO CHANGE OPTIONS AND SO ON. IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN?

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353

I AM UNDERSTANDING YOU TO MEAN THE MULTIPLE USERS THAT YOU GET WITH AN ISP ACCOUNT. ONLY ONE IS THE "ADMINISTRATOR" AND THE REST ARE DEPENDENT ON THE "ADMINISTRATOR" TO CHANGE OPTIONS AND SO ON. IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN?
    I have no exp. with MACs, but on Windows (NT, XP, Vista) and OS's that use the Linux kernel (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc.), you can have various user accounts (In Windows Control Panel -> User Accounts). By default ol' Billdo made Windows users admins by default.... bah.. which means the said user can modify EVERYTHING. A limited user account can only read and execute systems files, not modify them. If a limited user gets a virus via cache, cookies, or a program they are using it will only effect said account, not the system files.

ISP accounts have nothing to do with user accounts created on you Operating System (Windows, Linux based, etc.).

I just received a NumbersUSA message in the last 2 hours.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast