‘Exploiting Latinos.’ Pitbull jokes about Obama’s amnesty order at the #AMAs, but ABC didn’t show the Favorite Latin Artist award?

Posted at 11:32 pm on November 23, 2014 by Twitchy Staff
Can Pitbull NOT be the voice of immigration reform? Thank you.

Hadley Dreibelbis (@HadleyDreib) November 24, 2014

Pitbull, host of this year’s American Music Awards, is making a little news on Twitter tonight for a rather lame joke about President Obama’s executive amnesty immigration order:
I can only assume the scheduled host of the AMAs overdosed, and they were forced to use a valet parking attendant named Pitbull
— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) November 24, 2014
Pitbull, neither yourself nor Obama know about correct immigration polices. #stop
— KasieMarie Cash (@KMCashKM) November 24, 2014

Come on #AMAs2014 . Really w/the politically tinged immigration themed opening act by @pitbull? Not necessary. Can we just enjoy the music?

— Tara Setmayer (@TaraSetmayer) November 24, 2014
The last person I would listen to about immigration issues is Pitbull #AMAs#MrWorldWide

— Annie Pechenik (@anniepechenik) November 24, 2014
Not even the people who landed a satellite on a comet can explain why Pitbull is famous.

— NotKennyRogers (@NotKennyRogers) November 24, 2014

That clap got lighter when Pitbull mentioned Obama's executive order on immigration. #AMAs
— Complex Music (@ComplexMusic) November 24, 2014

Here’s the actual “joke” via The Hollywood Reporter:

“You guys already know I’m Cuban, but you know America, not all Latinos are Mexican — maybe we are,” to a roaring applause, he looked around and noticed that among the audience are those who are “black, white, pink, purple, orange, Asian, Latinos — and guess what? President Obama said, we can all stay!”

And he also mentioned, “ABC found out last year that when I spoke just three Spanish words, ratings went up 142 percent, so get ready for three hours of just subtitles!” After greeting the audience with a few Spanish phrases, he laughed, “That’s another four million viewers!

But does ABC really care about Latin viewers as much as Pitbull says they do?

Glamour magazine notices something a little odd about the AMA telecast:

Kind of odd that Pitbull keeps talking about the #AMAs' Latin audience, but they didn't air the Favorite Latin Artist award, right?

— Glamour (@glamourmag) November 24, 2014
ABC and Pittbull get wet exploiting Latinos, but Enrique only gets a shout out for Favorite Latin Artist. What?! #AMAs

— Daniel Casillas (@Leinadnahte) November 24, 2014
Burn!
Latin Artist award aint getting no love on your tv screen apparently. #AMAs
— Kozza (@Kozza) November 24, 2014

Well, it looks like Enrique Iglesias ‏was performing in Dublin, which would explain his absence from the telecast:
Thank you #Dublin! You guys were amazing tonight #lostinthecrowd#SEXANDLOVETOUR http://t.co/Itbmit7Cre
— Enrique Iglesias (@enrique305) November 24, 2014

Oh, well. Maybe next year!
Editor’s note: This post has been changed to correct a typo.

http://twitchy.com/2014/11/23/exploi...-artist-award/