Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

After Strict Immigration Reform, Oklahoma Is More Than OK

Two Years After Strict Immigration Reform, Oklahoma Is More Than OK

Posted By Tom Blumer On May 14, 2010 @ 12:00 am In . Feature 01, US News, economy | No Comments

Given the economic damage inflicted on us by the current administration and many state governments, most readers of this column would probably be quite happy to live in a state where:

• The official unemployment rate in March was 6.6% [1].

• The average unemployment rate in 2009 using the most comprehensive definition was 10.5% [2], the fourth-lowest in the nation (behind three much smaller states), and far lower than the national average of 16.2%.

• The number of people either working or looking for work has actually grown during the past twelve months (in most states, the labor force has contracted significantly).

• The economy grew in 2008, and probably did so again in 2009.

Unless you live in Oklahoma, you’re not in that state.

It “just so happensâ€
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Nice find Reggie.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am really proud of Oklahoma and it's tough stance on Illegal Immigration. Also heard a really great interview with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. He is tired of all the BS and says he will do what his necessary for his state and it's people, PC be damned. Bravo!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Yes HB1804 has been good. Let me clue you in. Just like a number of other States who have laws clamping down on illegals, OKC is essentially a santuary city as is Tulsa in many ways. I still see them all over the OKC area. I've even followed and turned in a couple of cars with expired mexican plates (over a year expired). Nothing was done! Certain parts of town look like TJ rather than America. Stores still are flooded with young hispanics speaking only spanish and little to NO English (a sure sign they didn't go to school here). Workers are ferried in from Texas by sub-contractors to avoid OK law!

Many have left and the fast food places for the most part are now worked by kids, less educated adults, seniors, and students. OK is working on some more laws to strengthen HB1804.

I am also trying to confirm that there is a "Chief's" policy that makes OKC a defacto sanctuary city. Supposedly the OKC police don't arrest illegals because they don't get reimbursed by the feds for their incarceration.
    Detect, Detain, and Deport - The 3-D method of choice!!

Sanctuary City OKC

I read your post and it appears that you don't believe the law passed in your state has enough teeth to it. The teeth to any immigration law will only be noticed if the law enforcement of your state is actually enforcing the law and arresting illegal aliens.

I don't know how it works in Oklahoma but if it is similar to Arizona then you may be correct that Oklahoma City Police are ignoring the illegal aliens becuase of financial cost not reimbursed.

In Arizona the State picks up the cost for incarceration for felony arrests but the cities are responsible for misdemeanor arrests. Here our Sheriff Joe Arpaio has plenty of room for illegal aliens because of his tent city. ICE can pick them up from him by the bus loads and take them to their detention facility in Florence Arizona which is about an hour away from Phoenix.

It is very likely that in Oklahoma City that the problem the police department has is when they call ICE for one detainee ICE will respond they don't have an agent available to take custody thus requiring the police department to either have to let the illegal alien go or take them to the city or county jail until ICE picks them up.

We had that problem here. ICE would only come if you had at least 6 or more. What needs to happen is in major cities like Phoenix or Oklahoma City ICE needs to have detention facilties within the city that could house up to 100 illegal aliens until transported to a larger facility.

Then the local police agencies could just bring them directly there thus not requiring an ICE agent to have to come to the police. I am betting that is what the problem is for your police chief in OKC.

Re: Sanctuary City OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaman2008
    I read your post and it appears that you don't believe the law passed in your state has enough teeth to it. The teeth to any immigration law will only be noticed if the law enforcement of your state is actually enforcing the law and arresting illegal aliens.

I don't know how it works in Oklahoma but if it is similar to Arizona then you may be correct that Oklahoma City Police are ignoring the illegal aliens becuase of financial cost not reimbursed.

In Arizona the State picks up the cost for incarceration for felony arrests but the cities are responsible for misdemeanor arrests. Here our Sheriff Joe Arpaio has plenty of room for illegal aliens because of his tent city. ICE can pick them up from him by the bus loads and take them to their detention facility in Florence Arizona which is about an hour away from Phoenix.

It is very likely that in Oklahoma City that the problem the police department has is when they call ICE for one detainee ICE will respond they don't have an agent available to take custody thus requiring the police department to either have to let the illegal alien go or take them to the city or county jail until ICE picks them up.

We had that problem here. ICE would only come if you had at least 6 or more. What needs to happen is in major cities like Phoenix or Oklahoma City ICE needs to have detention facilties within the city that could house up to 100 illegal aliens until transported to a larger facility.

Then the local police agencies could just bring them directly there thus not requiring an ICE agent to have to come to the police. I am betting that is what the problem is for your police chief in OKC.
    Well here's the kicker...OKC has a DHS detention center near the airport!! Why aren't the OKC Police just bringing them directly there??
    Detect, Detain, and Deport - The 3-D method of choice!!

Very interesting to read all posted here.

How did OK do that? I don't recall any screaming of racism like we have had here in AZ.

It would be nice to know why they aren't using the DHS facility.
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

Re: After Strict Immigration Reform, Oklahoma Is More Than O

[quote="ReggieMay"]
    Given the economic damage inflicted on us by the current administration and many state governments, most readers of this column would probably be quite happy to live in a state where:

• The official unemployment rate in March was 6.6% [1].

• The average unemployment rate in 2009 using the most comprehensive definition was 10.5% [2], the fourth-lowest in the nation (behind three much smaller states), and far lower than the national average of 16.2%.

• The number of people either working or looking for work has actually grown during the past twelve months (in most states, the labor force has contracted significantly).

• The economy grew in 2008, and probably did so again in 2009.

Unless you live in Oklahoma, you’re not in that state.

It “just so happensâ€

As far as I know there has only been one case prosecuted under 1804. Like tiredofit stated there is still an abundance of non-English hispanics here in the OKC area that weren't here ten years ago. Residential construction sites that used to be 99% American citizens working at, are now 65-75% immigrant labor. A legal resident from Mexico that works for me has even complained about the cheap importation of illegals from Texas.

The true "teeth" of the legislation was stopped by the Circuit Court.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Quote Originally Posted by kniggit
    The true "teeth" of the legislation was stopped by the Circuit Court.
    Do you know how the court did that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast