Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Duh

agriculture will be okay without illegals

I spent a week in California wine country recently and learned that grapes can be harvested with machinery. You can probably guess why vintners use illegals instead of machinery to pick the grapes . . . the vintners grow far richer by using illegals (subsidized by us taxpayers).

The grape-picking machine needs more space than illegals need to walk down the rows between the vines. By using illegals, the vintners can plant more grapes and make more money. Some years ago, the rows of vines used to be planted wider apart when machinery was used instead of illegals.

As far as I'm concerned, there are far too many grapes grown in the USA, yet more and more vines are continually being planted just about everywhere imagineable.

This would be a much better scenario for our country and for the average taxpayer: require the vintners to use machinery rather than illegtals to pick the grapes (and other agricultural products), get rid of the illegals, cut the profits of the vintners/agriculturists and import more wine from abroad. Simple solution, but what politician would dare suggest it?

Duh
    Duh

Amen to that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

but what politician would dare suggest it?
    http://www.brandens.net/files/Sounds/CLIPS/Frazier3.wav
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just saw the last sentence, why would we have to import more wine from abroad - maybe they could just not export their wines and we could buy American instead.

OK, how could it cut their profits really, in the long run. If the illegals go home, our property taxes could be lowered, our healthcare costs could be lowered, our auto insurance could be lowered. Just think of all the costs that could be cut and besides Americans would have more money to buy wine!!!!!!!!!!

Admittedly, the costs for illegals is not borne as much by business as it is by taxpayers, but there is some cost there.

DUH, my take on the "AG-Workers" is like this...Please chime in if you think I'm on OK?
    The farmers who hire these low wage workers STILL get subsidised by THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER...Its always something honest.
    Maybe its Drought, or Flooding or Insect Infestation, maybe it frose and damaged the crop. Still, it is ALWAYS SOMETHING!
    These farmers wanting this cheap labor knowing that machinery CAN do the same work. The way I see it, these ILLEGALS get hired on make a few bucks after working MAYBE one season. Then they purchase false documentation (most likely from a relative already in place here), and then they leave the Farm for a BIGGER STAKE...The Middle Class AMERICAN. They get hired on to do construction, landscaping, janitor, food service. They take away jobs from Middle Class Americans. You see, the "FARM" was just a front...The Farmer will ALWAYS WANT MORE!!!!
    Think, why is that? Does his labor force pack up & go back to Mexico?
    Why do they not stay picking lettuce?
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

Good Points PatriotofPast

I have always thought that illegals will permeate every facet and every layer of our society and do so on the backs of honest, hardworking, tax paying citizens and ultimately at the expense of their future generations.

Your point is that farms are just first base. I totally agree. The problem is of course exacerbated by the fact that they also multiply like rabbits and every child is a US citizen, sure to skew our country's future direction and our way of living forever!

That is what most normal citizens are missing - the big picture of where all of this is headed.

Duh
    Patriot,

I think you are correct. Thanks for the good description of the "bigger picture" of the whole mess we are forced to subsidize.

Duh
    Duh

There is no doubt they use it as an 'entry' point - although many are coming here that don't even pretend to be farm workers any more.

Farm workers are a very, very small percentage of the illegal workers - it is just the one that gets used by the politicians and pro-illegal crowd. They want everyone to think these 'hardworking people' are just out there toiling in the sun from dawn to dusk.

They don't want people looking around and realizing that the ladies at the windows in your bank are very probably illegal, at your insurance office, in your school, working for your city, etc.

I see them regularly when I go back where my son lives. They are recent arrivees and are wearing very expensive clothing, have manicures, coiffed hair, etc.

These people are professionals and they plan to be here when the amnesty is granted -

I've seen reports about huge subsidies to people who could best be described as "gentlemen farmers"' Actors, sports stars, etc. Vintners are also in that cateory, in my opinion. I'm not in the class of people who can afford really high quality wine and I hardly drink anyway, so I really don't care if they go broke. Besides a lot of farmers close to big cities are sitting on some very valuable real estate. Should they get federal subsidies plus the benefit of cheap illegal labor, also?

Our senators in the NW are all enthralled by the agricultural interests who are crying that they need the illegal labor. I think this is nothing but BS, at least in 9 out of 10 cases. There are plenty of these successful opportunists in the smaller farming towns that can flaunt the wealth they get and have a good sense of themselves. I don't feel sorry for them.

What we have then is a (growing) class of people who are profiting directly from illegal labor or are safely enough above the fray that they never feel any impact or are reaping indirect benefits because some illegal picks the grapes that go into their fine wine. The rest of us are directly impacted or even forced out of employment because of the unfair competition. Looks like there are enough of us, though, to make our voice heard and wield some political impact.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Check out the photo with this article and ask yourself , is this a inspected bakery running above the board in eastern Washington?

Spooky, very spooky.

http://www.wenworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 005/NEWS04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast