Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALERT!! AgJobs Amnesty Bill Tomorrow!!

I got this in an email, so I don't have a link.

IMMIGRATION POLICY CENTER

For Immediate Release

FACTS ABOUT FARMWORKERS

May 13, 2009

Washington D.C. - Tomorrow, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Congressmen Adam Putnam (R-FL) and Howard Berman (D-CA) will introduce, in the Senate and House, the Agricultural Job Opportunities, Benefits, and Security (AgJOBS) Act. AgJOBS is a bipartisan, compromise bill that is the result of years of negotiations among farmworkers, growers, and Members of Congress. The legislation has two parts: 1) an earned legalization program for unauthorized farmworkers who meet certain eligibility requirements; and 2) a revision of the H-2A temporary foreign agricultural worker program. Numerous organizations from across the political spectrum believe that the bill is necessary to create a stable agricultural workforce, improve the lives of farmworkers, and give employers access to the workers they need.

AgJOBS also serves as a blueprint for comprehensive immigration reform. AgJOBS demonstrates a successful model for compromise where workers and employers have come together to resolve their differences. The dysfunctional U.S. immigration system is currently standing in the way of addressing deeper structural problems that impact U.S. workers and U.S. competitiveness in a globalized market. The Immigration Policy Center has produced a fact sheet about the current challenges found at the intersection of immigration policy and agriculture, and why addressing these issues is critical to the nation's economy.

The Most Current Data Shows:

Farmwork is critical to the U.S.'s food security. According to agricultural labor economist James Holt, less than 2% of the U.S. workforce is engaged in farm work. However, more than 550,000 U.S. farmers hire workers to fill more than 3 million agricultural jobs each year. Because many of these agricultural jobs are seasonal, the 3 million jobs are filled by 2.5 million workers.

Most farmworkers are not authorized to work legally in the U.S. According to the National Agricultural Workers Survey (NAWS), the percentage of agricultural workers who reported that they were unauthorized has increased dramatically in the last two decades, rising from 7% in Fiscal Year (FY) 1989, to 16% in FY 1990-91, to 28% in FY 1992-93. In the most recently published NAWS survey from FY 2001-02, 53% of all seasonal agricultural workers admitted they were not authorized to work in the U.S. However, many experts suggest that the number may actually be closer to 75%.

U.S. growers want a stable, legal workforce. The vast majority of U.S. employers are law-abiding and attempt to hire legal workers. However, even "good" employers can get caught up in immigration-enforcement actions. Labor disruptions due to worksite raids, immigration audits and investigations, Social Security Administration (SSA) "No-Match" letters, and other immigration-enforcement activities can result in severe financial problems for growers: crops rot in the fields, jobs further down the production line are lost, growers cannot make payments on loans, and farms go out of business.

Farmworkers suffer poor working conditions. As in other sectors of the economy, the presence of many unauthorized workers exacerbates the problems of poor wages and working conditions and results in weak bargaining power for all workers. Undocumented workers live under the constant threat of deportation and are therefore less likely to lodge complaints or join labor unions, resulting in poorer wages and conditions for all workers, including U.S. citizens.
    For More Facts and Data See:

Facts About Farmworkers (IPC Fact Check) May 13, 2009

###

For press inquiries contact Wendy Sefsaf at 202-507-7524 or wsefsaf@ailf.org or
    Andrea Nill at 202-507-7520 or anill@ailf.org.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

Why should the American people have to pay for the illegals

Perhaps the American people should allow this Ag Amnesty to take place if the farmers that hire the illegals agree to pay ALL of the expenses of the illegals and their Anchors for the entire time the illegals and Anchors stay in US.

PS
    Ins't it gross that the illegals have no health checks, and could have active TB, Chagna and/or Leprosy and are working on the food we give to our families?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    How about some collaborating evidence? I can't find anything on this, not even at NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA is normally on top of all amnesty attempts.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    How about some collaborating evidence? I can't find anything on this, not even at NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA is normally on top of all amnesty attempts.
    When I copied it, it left out the top part that says IMMIGRATION POLICY CENTER. That's who put out the report. I corrected it at the top.

MW
    Tinybobidaho wrote:

When I copied it, it left out the top part that says IMMIGRATION POLICY CENTER. That's who put out the report. I corrected it at the top.
    Here is their site:

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/

It's strange that I can't find this anywhere else.

I guess it's no big deal since it's only being introduced. Hopefully the bill will never make it out of committee.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Tinybobidaho wrote:

Here is their site:

It's strange that I can't find this anywhere else.

I guess it's no big deal since it's only being introduced. Hopefully the bill will never make it out of committee.
    Yeah, but you would think they would have it on their website. Well, we'll leave this for a bit and see if anything pops up about it in the papers. At least this alert will make people aware to look for articles about it, or catch it on C-SPAN.

From what I've heard, the pro-amnesty movement is split between supporting the AgJobs bill by itself. Becase if it passes, then they will no longer have the farm work to use as a ploy to pass a mass amnesty. Farm workers account for a small portion of the total number of illegals.
    They want the Agjobs bill to be attached to a mass amnesty bill.

Therefore, some feel that if the Agjobs bill is passed. Polititians will put the immigration issue to rest, and all the rest of the illegal aliens will have to wait more years for their legalization.

MW, if you look now you'll find they have put this news on their website.

Farm Labor Crisis: Sen. Feinstein Introduces Legislation to Relieve Worker Shortage in Agriculture
    Congressional Desk May 15, 2009Bill would provide steady and reliable workforce for farmers

Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) re-introduced legislation to provide much-needed relief to the nation´s ongoing agriculture labor shortage.

The Agricultural Job Opportunities and Benefits Act (AgJOBS) would reform the broken H-2A seasonal worker program, provide farmers with the stable, legal workforce they deserve, and offer a pathway to citizenship for hard-working, law-abiding immigrants already employed on American farms.

"Today across the United States, there are not enough agricultural workers to pick, prune, pack or harvest our country´s crops. With an inadequate supply of workers, farmers from Maine to California, and from Washington State to Georgia, have watched their produce rot and their farms lay fallow over the years," Senator Feinstein said.

"As a result, billions of dollars are being drained out of our already struggling economy. This legislation would help to ensure a consistent, reliable agriculture work force to ensure that farmers and growers never again lose their crops because of a lack of workers."

Sixteen senators have signed on as co-sponsors: Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.); Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.); Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.); Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.); Robert Casey (D-Pa.); Chris Dodd (D-Conn.); Russ Feingold (D-Wis.); Ted Kauffman (D-Del.); Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.); John Kerry (D-Mass.); Herb Kohl (D-Wis.); Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.); Carl Levin (D-Mich.); Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.); Patty Murray (D-Wash.); and Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)

"In Vermont, as in many states across the country, farmers are feeling the effects of a scarce labor pool," said Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) "This problem is particularly acute for the dairy industry, where the employment needs are year-round and require a significant investment from the farmer in terms of training and development. I have long been concerned about the dairy farmers´ difficulties in trying to use the agricultural visa program. The AgJOBS bill will give dairy farmers needing workers the opportunity to lawfully hire foreign workers who can remain with their employers for a meaningful period of time."

"California´s farmers and growers are still waiting for a solution to the persistent labor shortages that each year cost our state´s agricultural economy billions of dollars," said Senator Boxer (D-Calif.) "The AgJobs bill will provide our agricultural community with a stable and reliable workforce, and I look forward to working with Senator Feinstein and my colleagues to see that this bill finally becomes law."

"During these rough economic times, our own farmers can´t find enough workers," said Senator Nelson (D-Fla.) "And the system for bringing agricultural workers here legally is broken. We need to get it fixed, which is why we´re pressing for this legislation."

The AgJOBS bill is a two-part bill. The first part would create a five-year pilot program to identify undocumented agricultural workers and legalize the immigration status for those who have been working in the United States for the past two years or more. The second part would reform the H-2A visa system to provide farmers and growers with a legal path to bring guest workers to the United States to harvest their crops.

The labor needs of the nation´s agriculture industry remain consistent. Across the country, farmers are reporting that they do not have enough labor to plant, tend and harvest their crops. There are not enough workers to milk cows. As a result, farmers have been forced to decrease the size of their farms and switch to less labor intensive and less profitable crops. Efforts have been made for years to get Americans to do the work, but they simply won´t do it.

Other farmers are simply closing up shop. Between 2007 and 2008, 1.56 million acres of farmland were shut down in the United States.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/102558

The AgJOBS bill is a two-part bill. The first part would create a five-year pilot program to identify undocumented agricultural workers and legalize the immigration status for those who have been working in the United States for the past two years or more. The second part would reform the H-2A visa system to provide farmers and growers with a legal path to bring guest workers to the United States to harvest their crops.

This is the really troublesome part. Working in the US for two years or more???

2 years??????????

Good Grief..this will be a scam from the get go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast