Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

working4change

ALERT NJ - A194 Proposes In-state tuition for IA's

If this is a dupe I apologize.

Dear Immigration Reform Supporters,

They’re at it again! The New Jersey legislature is considering Bill A194 proposed by Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle and Assemblyman Gordon M. Johnson, both Democrats from Bergen County.

Bill A194 would grant in-state tuition to illegal aliens at NJ state colleges. If Bill A194 passes, illegal aliens will be able to go to state colleges at a discount paid for by NJ taxpayers.

I’m not saying the illegal aliens shouldn’t go to college if that’s what they want; however, why should NJ citizens and legal residents have to pay more in taxes so that they can go to college at a discounted tuition fee? And what’s going to happen when they graduate from college? As illegal aliens they will still not be allowed to work legally in our state. Bill A194 makes no sense at all and is just the latest effort of Trenton to pander to the “open borders lobby.â€

working4change
    Sorry -Here's the link to the story. Please all those in NJ write your reps. and tell them no!

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 90428/1001

OK, I read the article, and it turns out the people referenced in question are here legally. i.e., the children of legal immigrants waiting in line, on a valid visa status with a filed immigration petition.

Now, legal immigrants working here are required to pay the same amount of taxes as any citizen or PR. So technically, they have qualified for NJ residency by staying here for any number of years.

However, this proposed legislation is supposed to be extended to both legal and illegal. My view in this respect is that it is flawed. It implies that all the pain that this boy's parents took to maintain their legal status is immaterial - he might have as well been illegal.

I would amend this as:

-No In-state tuition to illegals.
    -In state tuition to children of "legal immigrants" IF:
    - All conditions for residency have been met (as per citizens
    - The parent has filed an immigrant petition (i.e., no temporary workers)

That seems to be the only way it can be fair to other non-immigrant visa holders, such as foreign students.

Thoughts?

I agree. If their legal and playing by the rules they should be allowed in-state tuiion.

NO in-state tuition for illegal aliens. We should not reward law breaking!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)