Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The American Dream: Dr. Quiñones' Incredible Journey

ABC News
    The American Dream: Dr. Quiñones' Incredible Journey
    Leading Doctor at Johns Hopkins Started Out as An Illegal Immigrant
    By ERICA BAUMGART

June 26, 2008 —

Today, Dr. Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa may be living the American dream.

As one of the nation's leading brain surgeons, he has built an exceptional career at Baltimore's legendary Johns Hopkins Hospital, surgically treating patients with brain tumors and leading cutting-edge research into cures for brain cancer. And he is one of the doctors featured on the new ABC series "Hopkins."

But his journey to the top of the medical profession didn't start out as many might expect. More than 20 years ago, Quiñones-Hinojosa, known to his colleagues now as Dr. Q, was a teenager with few prospects living in Mexicali, Mexico.

Watch the series premiere of "Hopkins" Thursday, June 26, at 10 p.m. ET. CLICK HERE for behind the scenes videos, doctor profiles and patient updates.

Although he always had a strong work ethic, Quiñones-Hinojosa -- who manned the pumps at his father's gas station -- seemed destined for a life of menial labor at low-paying jobs in his hometown. For Quiñones-Hinojosa, growing up was difficult.

"At the age of five I started working in a gas station," he said. "It's hard to believe. ... We didn't have enough money to eat, and everybody had to pitch in."

From Rags to Riches

But Quiñones-Hinojosa knew early on that somehow he was meant for bigger things than the dusty backstreets of Mexicali.

"By the time I was 19, I decided I wanted to go to the U.S. and explore," Quiñones-Hinojosa said. "I was tired of the political oppression and the bifurcation of classes, the oppression of the poor that happens in my country."

Desperate for money, and with his sights set on a brighter future, he scaled a barbed border fence across from Calexico, Calif.

"It was a pretty scary experience," Quiñones-Hinojosa remembered. "It was filled with a real adrenaline rush excitement, but also fear, and, you know, fear gives you extra strength and courage. I got caught and sent back, but I did it again the same night."

He worked illegally for more than a year doing backbreaking work in California's fields, mostly picking tomatoes. Like other migrant workers, he sent his hard-earned cash back to his family in Mexico.

Derided by his fellow workers as a dreamer, Quiñones-Hinojosa enrolled himself in community college to learn English. Before long, he found a professor to mentor him. This professor encouraged Quiñones-Hinojosa to seek a scholarship to attend the University of California, Berkeley.

At Berkley, Quiñones-Hinojosa excelled in the natural sciences. He tutored other students, and his grades were such that Harvard Medical School was eager to recruit the young Mexican with so much drive. While at Harvard, Quiñones-Hinojosa earned his U.S. citizenship before being selected to do his residency at Johns Hopkins.

Dr. Q Says Border Fences Not the Solution

Quiñones-Hinojosa's personal story of climbing over the border fence to gain access into the United States is just a microcosm of the immigration debate still raging in Washington.

Both presumptive presidential nominees Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., favor border fences, just like the one Quiñones-Hinojosa climbed.

McCain, who sponsored a 2005 immigration bill that proposed to legalize the more than 12 million undocumented immigrants in the country, now takes a much harder line on immigration. He vowed that he would not vote for the bill he co-sponsored three years ago, and emphasizes that his number one priority is to secure U.S. borders.

At the Democratic debate in Austin, Texas, on Feb. 21, 2008, Obama explained why he supported the construction of a border fence.

"There may be areas where it makes sense to have some fencing," he said. "Having the border patrolled, surveillance, deploying effective technology -- that's going to be the better approach."

The Bush administration continues to move forward on the border fence construction that Congress authorized in 2005, despite environmental concerns. Earlier this week, the Supreme Court denied an environmental group's plea to slow down construction of a U.S.-Mexican border fence.

After living on U.S. soil for more than half of his life, Quiñones-Hinojosa believes that a border fence is not the solution to illegal immigration.

"I think it's just a patch, and I think that's not going to be a solution," Quiñones-Hinojosa said of border fences. "As long as there is poverty, as long as there's inequality, people are going to look for better ways to survive. It's human nature."

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

The MSM always trots out the rare exception, rather than properly and morally focusing on the reality of millions of largely uneducated impoverished illegal aliens impacting our schools, hospitals, communities etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I really cannot believe the bias of the MSM. Even scarier, that's what most people rely on for their "news". How about "Fairness Doctrine" for MSM? How can they get away with presenting one side of the story? They literally make heroes out of people who break our laws. This angers me to no end.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Pop: Yes, so true.

Also, and going OT here, I noticed my local newspaper (printed edition) used your avatar image of the late, great John Belushi in an article on some topic - which I don't recall offhand. I immediately thought of you
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I think it's just a patch, and I think that's not going to be a solution," Quiñones-Hinojosa said of border fences. "As long as there is poverty, as long as there's inequality, people are going to look for better ways to survive. It's human nature."
    And as all that poverty comes flooding in, then what? We don't have unlimited jobs, space and resources to cure poverty for the world. Soon then this country turns to a poverty ridden 3rd world country. Then where do we run to? Illegally flooding successful countries with no control isn't the answer either. Excuse me if I don't want to sit quietly by and watch the boat sink.

Phred,
    How dare they use my avatar...I'm going to report them to Dean Wormer

p.s.
    It's been awhile since he was your avatar, but when I see Byron Dorgan quoted you come to mind.

Please! What gives a future professional more rights than the low wage earner illegal alien? THEY'RE ONE OF THE SAME!

Quiñones-Hinojosa: He should have had to wait in line like other legal alien. He broke the laws of the land of America, and did not pay for his crimes yet. Being in America illegal and tax laws are the only two laws broken that we know of to date. What about ID theft? His citizenship should be revolt, immediately.

ICE should be knocking on his door, too!

Although he always had a strong work ethic, Quiñones-Hinojosa -- who manned the pumps at his father's gas station -- seemed destined for a life of menial labor at low-paying jobs in his hometown. For Quiñones-Hinojosa, growing up was difficult.

"At the age of five I started working in a gas station," he said. "It's hard to believe. ... We didn't have enough money to eat, and everybody had to pitch in."
    He must have graduated from high school despite being poor.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Both presumptive presidential nominees Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., favor border fences, just like the one Quiñones-Hinojosa climbed.
    BOTH CANDIDATES ALSO FAVOR AMNESTY AND REWARDING LAW-BREAKERS LIKE QUINONES-HINOJOSA.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

After living on U.S. soil for more than half of his life, Quiñones-Hinojosa believes that a border fence is not the solution to illegal immigration
    OH yes it is.....that is why MSM and all these Folks like them, are so opposed to it!!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast