Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another Ca town to use E-verify

By LESLIE PARRILLA
    The Press-Enterprise

Norco officials this week plan to consider creating an ordinance that would require businesses working with the city to check the immigration status of employees.

Horsetown USA is following in the footsteps of cities such as Menifee, Temecula and Lake Elsinore that approved ordinances requiring businesses to use E- Verify. The Internet-based system, run by the federal government, allows employers to check workers' information against immigration and Social Security records.

A City Council discussion is scheduled during the regular meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in council chambers, 2820 Clark Ave., Norco.

The council is considering requiring contractors who provide products or services for the city to use E-Verify to determine if their employees are legally permitted to work in the country.

Norco already uses E-Verify for new city employees.

Illegal immigration opponents have visited Norco in recent weeks, urging the city to require E-Verify. They say the system will prevent illegal immigrants from taking American jobs. They also say the state and federal governments aren't doing enough to secure the borders.

Critics of E-Verify say the system can be inaccurate and creates additional red tape for businesses.

They also say support for the verification system indicates a larger anti-immigrant backlash.

Councilman Kevin Bash said he has received about six e-mails in support of endorsing Arizona's new immigration law and ensuring that undocumented workers don't take American jobs.

"What I'm dreading is they're going to make this about race and, for me, it's not at all," Bash said. "I'm going to be having people accuse me of not liking people because of the color of their skin."

He said the issue is not about immigration but about how cities handle problems that state or federal laws are not resolving.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stor ... 227da.html
    Bring back the Rotary Phone so we dont have to pressÂ*1 forÂ*English...Â*

GR
    America needs all the help that this nation can get.

Americans need all the help they can get to get back to getting the jobs inside our nation, especially those that illegal aliens are stealing from us - something that their birth nations would never allow.

Just recieved this from Numbers USA

Ask Norco City Council to Pass Pro-SB 1070/E-Verify Resolution

Attend August 4th Press Conference and Council Meeting

This is a special message for NumbersUSA members in the Norco, California area.

Dear California activist:

On Wednesday, August 4th, Norco City Council will vote on a resolution that expresses support for Arizona’s immigration-enforcement law and implements E-Verify for governmental agencies. Please call and email City Council members and ask them to vote YES on the resolution.

Malcolm Miller, Mayor - (951) 545-2133 mmiller@ci.norco.ca.us

Berwin Hanna, Mayor Pro Tem - (951) 377-7040 bhanna@ci.norco.ca.us

Kathy Azevedo, Council Member - (951) 258-9711 kazevedo@ci.norco.ca.us

Kevin Bash, Council Member - (951) 768-8981 kbash@ci.norco.ca.us

Harvey Sullivan, Council Member - (951) 258-8471 hsullivan@ci.norco.ca.us

Prior to the Council meeting, activist Ted Wegener, who is promoting the expansion of E-Verify across California, will hold a press conference in front of City Hall. He also will address the Council itself prior to the vote. Please attend both if you can with your American Flags and signs. The Council meeting will be held at City Hall, 2820 Clark Avenue, Norco, CA 92860 beginning at 7:00 p.m.

We will update this link for live video feed if one becomes available, as with Temecula last month.

12 California cities have adopted pro-SB 1070 resolutions thus far representing over 1 million people:

Los Angeles County: Lancaster

Orange County: Costa Mesa, Orange, Yorba Linda, Rancho Santa Margarita

Riverside County: Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Temecula, Canyon Lake

San Diego County: Escondido

San Bernadino County: Highland

Taking back California .. One city at a time.

Norco City Council backs Arizona's immigration law

By LESLIE PARRILLA
    The Press-Enterprise

The Norco City Council voted Wednesday to support Arizona's immigration-enforcement law.

Councilwoman Kathy Azevedo voiced concern about putting Norco in a compromising position, following the federal government's lawsuit against Arizona. Last week, a federal judge blocked parts of the law from taking effect.

Other council members said they were tired of the federal government not doing its job to keep illegal immigrants out of the country.

Council members voted 4-0, with Mayor Malcolm Miller absent, in support of a resolution backing Arizona SB 1070. They also discussed a measure to require businesses to use E-Verify, a program that aims to prevent people from working illegally in the U.S.

Prior to the meeting, about 50 people pumped signs and waved American flags at a rally organized by Inland tea party members in support of Arizona's law.

Some of them later addressed the council in favor of Norco's resolution.

Most of the 15 people who spoke at the meeting supported Arizona's law.

But one opponent said Norco should not engage in wedge politics by getting involved in an issue not directly related to the city. Another person said Norco would not benefit from passing the resolution.

Norco resident Sue Bacon said she commended the effort from both sides.

"I applaud this whole room. I applaud the two that stood up and said no, and the many that are in support of this," Bacon said.

She personally supported the resolution, saying that it's not about immigration but about the federal government pursuing Arizona by suing the state.

"That's what we have to worry about," Bacon said. "If we don't start standing up, not only to our state government but to our federal government and saying 'no more,' then this is just a slippery slope."

The discussion later turned to E-Verify, an Internet-based system run by the federal government that allows employers to check workers' information against immigration and Social Security records.

Illegal immigration opponents had visited Norco in recent weeks, urging the city to require E-Verify. Most members of the public who spoke Wednesday were in support of the E-Verify requirement.

"I think we the people have spoken here tonight and I think E-Verify is the way to go. Let's take it further," longtime Norco resident Julie Waltz said.

The city already uses it when hiring city employees, and the federal government requires companies contracting with it to use the system. Rep. Ken Calvert, R-Corona, introduced legislation to create the program more than a decade ago.

It had been mostly voluntary for employers, but recently cities such as Menifee, Temecula and Lake Elsinore passed ordinances requiring businesses to use it.

Critics of E-Verify say it can be inaccurate and create additional red tape for businesses. They also say support for the verification system indicates a larger anti-immigrant backlash.

Council members decided to return with a detailed E-Verify plan that would apply to all businesses and would be fashioned after Temecula's ordinance, which will require holders of business licenses granted by the city to use E- Verify.

Reach Leslie Parrilla at 951-368-9644 or lparrilla@PE.com
    http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stor ... 4821e.html

Critics of E-Verify say it can be inaccurate and create additional red tape for businesses. They also say support for the verification system indicates a larger anti-immigrant backlash.
    NO...It indicates a larger anti-ILLEGAL INVADER BACKLASH! E-Verify is something like 95.5% (might even be higher) accurate. When has any program instituted by the federal government been so efficient and accurate! Further, I don’t know of anything that is 100% accurate all the time.

I wish all government entities were so reliable!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hurrah for Norco for supporting SB 1070, and we hope for another city adopting E-Verify.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great going Norco!

Another person said Norco would not benefit from passing the resolution.
    I pass thru Norco on I-15 on my way to S.D., all the fast food and gas stations I see off the freeway is looking more and more appealing to me.

Hey maybe we need a traveler's guide showing us where friendly territory is.

It should be LAW that all cities in all states use this! Im proud of these little towns in CA for doing this! Im afraid with being so close to SF , and being in the wine country that we'll be the last to do it....
    Why is it so hard to get them to see????

Quote Originally Posted by cavmom
    It should be LAW that all cities in all states use this! Im proud of these little towns in CA for doing this! Im afraid with being so close to SF , and being in the wine country that we'll be the last to do it....
    Why is it so hard to get them to see????

They will pay no attention to this illegal activity as long as they are profiting by it in some way...

Now...if they are heavily fined and information gets out that they are doing this kind of hiring, it will cut into their profit..

These employers are working against the American People. Maybe we can't force them to do E-verify, but they can't stop us from posting who does the hiring of these illegals....Money talks BS walks...

If our local enforcement don't want to stop this it may be the only thing we have left ...if is obvious who they all work for and it isn't us....

Kathyet