She did, however, vote against 1639. She starts with the DREAM Act, then says no more about it.

August 7, 2007

Mr. xxxxx
xxxx
xxxx, CA 91301

Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about our immigration policies. I understand your concerns about the Dream Act.

As you know, the United States Senate passed legislation last year in response to the serious problems with our nation's immigration system. While I consistently voted for tough enforcement provisions and to provide the resources necessary to secure our borders, I voted against this final bill because it would not have done enough to protect Michigan jobs. Also, I continue to oppose amnesty and Social Security for illegal immigrants.

The Senate has been debating new immigration legislation this year. I oppose this bill for the same reasons I voted against last year's legislation.

President Bush's new guest worker program, contained in both bills, opens our borders to hundreds of thousands of new guest workers every year. Importing cheap foreign labor is wrong for Michigan and wrong for America. We need an effective immigration system that works for businesses and communities and that protects the basic rights of legal immigrants, who are such an important part of our state economy. In the end, this legislation failed to strike the proper balance between security, fairness and preserving Michigan jobs.

Thank you for contacting my office. I will keep your strong views in mind if the Senate considers this issue again. Please continue to keep me informed about issues that are important to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

DS:ak