Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    BUt look at this other delegate. I DO NOT mean to pass judgement on people but it just strikes me,that these representatives usually have a Spanish surname that "TEND to BEND". I think you catch my drift!
    ana sol gutierrez is from el salvador and makes it quite known that her sole goal as a delegate in maryland is to welcome, support, aid & abet illegal aliens. she makes sure they are bused in from around the state to support her whenever this anti-american b*tch opens her mouth.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Are they ANCHOR BABIES? Naturalized? or Greedy Elected Officials.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    Are they ANCHOR BABIES? Naturalized? or Greedy Elected Officials.
    she apparently came here from el salvador as a child. not sure if she came legally or not.

here's a snippet about her from a local news story:

"........Immigrants across Maryland are urging state legislators and Gov. Martin O'Malley to retain driver's licenses and provide in-state tuition for all Maryland residents, regardless of immigration status.

Del. Ana Sol Gutierrez said Monday evening in Spanish that she's ready to fight "to the death" to protect access to licenses during an Annapolis rally that attracted hundreds of immigrants. Maryland is one of four states where motor vehicle officials do not require applicants to prove they are in the country legally before giving out driver's licenses..........."
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

I would think everyone would have to be a Naturalized Citizen to be in elected office in the United States.

Do you remember within the last year and half there was a woman running for public office and they found out she came to America and was not a citizen? This woman thought she was a citizen for her parent never told her any different. She had voted and on and on. She chose to move to Canada.

Food for thought.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Del. Ana Sol Gutierrez said Monday evening in Spanish that she's ready to fight "to the death" to protect access to licenses during an Annapolis rally that attracted hundreds of immigrants
    This is interesting! I do not see how this woman got into office,unless there are illegal voters there also.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Vetting is not being done. And yes, undocumented stealing ID, why wouldn't they try to vote to gain power in our government.

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    Del. Ana Sol Gutierrez said Monday evening in Spanish that she's ready to fight "to the death" to protect access to licenses during an Annapolis rally that attracted hundreds of immigrants
    This is interesting! I do not see how this woman got into office,unless there are illegal voters there also.
    of course there are illegal voters out there. in maryland, all you need to vote is a valid driver's license. no wonder these pro-illegal officials want the illegal aliens to retain their current driver's license!!!

AN UPDATED ARTICLE......LOOKS LIKE THERE'S GONNA BE ONE HELL OF A FIGHT THIS WEEK!!!!!

House, Senate prepare to debate driver's license bills
    By MICHAEL FROST, Capital News Service
    Published 04/05/09

ANNAPOLIS -

The House of Delegates and the Senate are headed for a showdown over how to bring Maryland driver's licenses into compliance with Real ID, a federal law that requires applicants to document their legal status in the country.

The chambers' differences boil down to one key issue: what to do with immigrants who received Maryland licenses under the old rules but do not meet the stricter requirements.

The House passed a bill last week that would allow those drivers to renew their licenses without the documentation. However, these new licenses could not be used for federal purposes or airline travel.

New applicants would have to meet the stricter standards, for which they would receive a federally-approved license.

The Senate, on the other hand, passed its own bill Monday that would require documented lawful presence in order to get a license.

The final legislation is expected to be hashed out in a conference committee next week. Gov. Martin O'Malley has said he will sign either bill, although he has indicated that he favors the House version, calling it "a more practical and reasonable solution," said Shaun Adamec, a spokesman.

The Real ID Act was signed into law by then-President Bush in 2005 as part of an emergency supplemental appropriations bill that funded operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as relief for victims of the tsunami in Asia.

It went into effect in May 2008, but states were granted extensions until December 31, 2009. States meeting certain benchmarks can apply for an additional extension to May 11, 2011, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Maryland is one of only four states that have yet to meet the standards, along with Hawaii, New Mexico and Washington. Currently, the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration requires that applicants provide documents to prove Maryland residence and proof of identity, which can be done via a passport or birth certificate.

The House passed its version of the bill last week by a 77-60 vote, approving amendments offered in the Judiciary Committee by Delegate Kathleen Dumais, D-Montgomery, that would "grandfather" in those who currently hold a license but do not have the documents to meet the new standards.

Dumais said the House bill consolidated five separate bills and tightened their language to directly address the Real ID statute. The amended bill clearly defines "lawful status" and what must be used to prove it, she said, while the Senate version used "lawful presence," which is not a legally defined term.

"For what it's worth, we did a lot of work," she said.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Joseph Vallario Jr., D-Prince George's, found the bill an appropriate compromise that would allow those who had licenses to maintain the privilege they had already acquired. He cited the example of an adult who had arrived as an undocumented 2-year-old and was already established in job and family, both of which would be severely disrupted if he lost his driver's license.

On the House floor, several Republican delegates voted "no" after approving the bill in committee, including Delegate J. B. Jennings, R-Baltimore County. Jennings said he felt he had been misled to believe that the Motor Vehicle Administration supported the "two-tier legislation," when in fact it had not taken a position on it.

Sen. E. J. Pipkin, R-Caroline, voted for the Senate bill, which passed 36-11.

"Right now, we have vanloads of people coming from New Jersey and other states to come into Maryland every day. They go in through our MVA, they get a driver's license, and then they go back to New Jersey and swap it for a New Jersey license," he said.

Immigrant advocacy groups saw the competing bills in rather different terms.

"The House version is only barely more acceptable than the Senate's," said Kim Propeack, director of community organizing and political action for CASA of Maryland.

Propeack said at least 150,000 people in Maryland will lose their licenses if the Senate version of the bill becomes law. Undocumented children who have yet to reach legal driving age are "going to be sunk under either proposal," she said.

She said others possibly affected by the legislation include victims of natural catastrophes like Hurricane Katrina.

Sen. Brian Frosh, D-Montgomery, and chairman of the Judicial Proceedings Committee, voted in favor of the Senate version but said the future of both bills was uncertain.

"I'm not sure what will happen, but whatever happens will happen next week," he said.

Delegate Henry Heller, D-Montgomery, agreed.

"That's going to be a hell of a conference committee," he said.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/g ... bills.html

Drivers in Dilemma As Md. Shifts Gears On License Policy

Antonio Aleman and his son Oscar, from left in mirror, talk to their cousin Luis Ventura, a legal immigrant. "If I have to drive around without insurance, it's dangerous for me as well as other people," Antonio Aleman says. (By Dominic Bracco Ii For The Washington Post)

washingtonpost.com readers have posted 62 comments about this item.

By Lisa Rein and Nick Miroff
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Sunday, April 5, 2009; Page C01

As many as 350,000 licensed Maryland drivers might soon face a seemingly impossible choice that could upend daily life for their families and gum up the gears of the local economy: Stop driving or get behind the wheel illegally.

They're illegal immigrants but not illegal drivers. They've been carrying licenses endorsed by Maryland governors and lawmakers for years, thanks to policies shaped with a sensitivity to newcomers and a belief that state-certified drivers are safer drivers. But the General Assembly is shifting course to comply with a federal security law that requires states to issue licenses only to lawful residents.

Lawmakers are debating whether undocumented immigrants who have licenses should lose them or be eligible for a second-tier driving permit that would prevent them from boarding commercial flights or entering federal buildings. Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) has said he will sign either a bill that keeps them in the system or stops it entirely.

Either way, as soon as June 1, illegal immigrants in Maryland will likely face new obstacles in their ability to move around, a change with implications for motorists across the region. Since 2006, the state has processed about 350,000 licenses for drivers using foreign documents without U.S. visa stamps. Supporters of the change say the security of Maryland's license, which has been vulnerable to widespread fraud, is their overarching concern.

As the debate in Annapolis has trickled out through word of mouth and Spanish-language media, a sense of alarm and anxiety has spread to immigrant motorists.
    ad_icon

"I work from 8 to 5:30, and then I have to rush to get to class," said Beatriz Aleman, 18, a Prince George's County resident who works by day as a cashier at a carwash and studies in the evenings at Prince George's Community College. "If I lose my license, how will I get around?"

Her father, Antonio Aleman, said he, his wife and his brother are in the same predicament: adapted to a highly-mobile American lifestyle that doesn't require legal residency but doesn't really work without wheels. "Why do they want to take our licenses away?" he fretted. Undocumented families would continue to have access to health care and public education.

Like all of the undocumented immigrants interviewed for this report, Aleman said he would probably continue driving even if he couldn't renew his license -- a scenario he was loath to imagine. "If I have to drive around without insurance, it's dangerous for me as well as other people on the roads," said Aleman, who drives a truck for his job as a metalworker.

If an accident or fender-bender can set the deportation process into motion after an arrest for driving without a license, many drivers will choose to flee the scene, he and others predicted.

Once, a license was just a permit to drive, issued until the late 1970s on a piece of paper. In the 1980s, photos were pasted on laminated cards. Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that permit has become the country's primary identity document. It's produced with all the security features of a credit card -- digital holograms, microprinting and other invisible features designed to ferret out fraud. Even the crab on the upper right corner of Maryland's license is secured.

In 46 states, it also is an immigration tool that separates legal from illegal, visible from underground.

Immigrant advocates say drivers without licenses and insurance who get into accidents will drive up insurance costs for everyone, and those who don't receive the training that is part of the licensing process might be more prone to accidents.

Motor Vehicle Administrator John Kuo said his agency has to weigh competing missions of security and road safety. "We said the security issue outweighs the benefit of safety."

The ability to drive has allowed immigrants to broaden their housing and job prospects.

Many Hispanic immigrants are employed in construction and landscaping, jobs that often take them to construction sites and new subdivisions beyond the reach of the region's public transportation network.

"How would I get to work? I drive all over the region," said Rey Juarez, 33, a Greenbelt resident who came from Guatemala eight years ago and works as a carpet installer.

Juarez's vehicle, a black 2007 Cadillac Escalade, had become a source of pride and status. "I could never have this in my own country," he said.

Immigrant rights advocates say the MVA could fashion a driving permit to look almost like a full-fledged license. But Kuo said that to avoid confusion, the card will likely have this phrase stripped across it: "Not for federal identification purposes."

Frederick is the only Maryland county that has deputized police officers to act as immigration agents, checking and turning over to federal authorities the names of illegal immigrants arrested for anything from traffic infractions to violent crimes. In recent months, Montgomery County police have started forwarding the names of suspects arrested only for violent crimes.

Police Chief J. Thomas Manger said he is conflicted about whether denying undocumented immigrants licenses is a good thing. "We need to do something to stop the fraud," he said. "But I don't think public safety is enhanced in any way if you have people driving without licenses."
    ad_icon

An illegal immigrant caught driving without a license would be charged, "but we will continue our policy of not asking people about their legal status," Manger said.

Virginia stopped issuing licenses to illegal immigrants in 2004. The result, said Manger, who retired as Fairfax County police chief that year, was a mix of unlicensed driving and fraudulently obtained Maryland licenses. That year Virginia courts convicted 49,124 people of driving without a license, a number that had jumped to 62,642 by fiscal year 2007 and dipped last year to 54,282, statistics compiled by the Department of Motor Vehicles show. The numbers do not distinguish between legal and illegal drivers. However, Manger said that few charged with driving without a license have never been licensed in Virginia.

The prospect of a second-tier license makes many immigrants balk. The process would effectively create a database of Maryland's illegal immigrants, they said, that could facilitate federal immigration efforts to deport them in the future.

"That's discrimination," said Rudy Galvez, 26, a Guatemalan who lives in Langley Park and works for a sprinkler and fire protection services company. "I'd rather not have anything."

But others said many would apply for the permit, if grudgingly. "In the end, people want to drive," said Victor Illescas, 43, a Guatemalan immigrant who manages a garage at an Exxon Station in Silver Spring. "They don't care about entering federal buildings."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02865.html

Quote Originally Posted by cvangel

"That's discrimination," said Rudy Galvez, 26, a Guatemalan who lives in Langley Park and works for a sprinkler and fire protection services company. "I'd rather not have anything."
    so an illegal alien can call implementing the Real ID Act "discriminating", and would rather drive around without a valid license? i hope he's the first to be deported when he does this!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast