Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ben Carson at Popeye's: Hypocritical or just anti-Hippocratic?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ben Carson at Popeye's: Hypocritical or just anti-Hippocratic?

Ben Carson at Popeye's: Hypocritical or just anti-Hippocratic?
    October 10, 2015 7:01 PM MST

Ben Carson apparently believes that you put out raging fires with something flammable, because his latest method of answering critics -- after doubling down on the more-than-beyond idiotic "rush in" strategy of confronting an active shooter situation -- by providing a personal experience with a gunman makes absolutely no sense at all. There is little doubt that 2016 Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is just as tone-deaf as his detractors say. That, or he's taken the GOP "law" of never apologizing for anything (no matter if you're caught in a bold-faced lie) to heart. But take his run-in with a gunman at a Baltimore Popeye's organization (his term for the restaurant)...

As CNN reported while recapping his October 8 appearance, Dr. Ben Carson, during an interview at Sirius XM, admitted to a past encounter with a gunman while in line at a Popeye's restaurant in Baltimore. But the revelation of his personal experience seems to be at odds with his comments made in the wake of the shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Carson made the controversial statement that if he were in such a situation, he would convince those around him to "rush" the gunman. His reasoning? He told "Fox & Friends": "'He may shoot me but he can't get us all.'"

As noted, that's not the way the Baltimore Popeye's encounter went down. Carson told Karen Hunter at Sirius XM, "I have had a gun held on me when I was in a Popeye's organization… Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs. And I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter.'"

To be clear, Ben Carson told "Fox & Friends" in regard to the mass shooting in Oregon that saw nine students and a teacher killed by a heavily armed gunman, "I would not just stand there and let him shoot me. I would say, ‘Hey guys, everybody attack him. He might shoot me, but he can’t get us all.' He said, ‘oh, OK,’ and went over there. I redirected him.”

The insensitivity of the statement aside, the hypocrisy of the comments are nearly comical. In a matter of hours, from Tuesday morning to Wednesday, Carson managed to not only suggest that the victims in Oregon actually had a say in the matter (you know, a huddle-up and "rush" the gunman say) as a gunman unloaded his assembled firearms at them (he had six with him) but also that he, after giving his ill-conceived advice as a future mass shooting deterrent, actually did not follow his own advice when he was confronted with a gunman.

Some might call that hypocritical. But Dr. Carson told Sirius XM, "They’re two very different situations. You’ve got a crazy person who’s shooting people and is clearly going to continue to do that versus somebody who’s coming in to try to get a little bit of cash. Now I’m not justifying the fact that he’s coming in to rob the place, but you’ve got to be able to distinguish between somebody who’s trying to rob a joint and somebody who is trying to kill you."

Carson added that he would not have used a firearm during the Popeye's incident, even if he had been armed, which he was not. “See, that’s one of the myths," he said. "Some people think just because you have a firearm, you’re going to be irrational and you’re going to be using it … I wasn’t fearful for my life at all. I knew why [the robber] was there.”

For some reason, Dr. Carson wants people to believe he could ascertain the psychological make-up of the gunman. Instead of a crazy mass shooter, the guy was just a robber. (But what if he then went to the counter, robbed the place, and then shot at everybody in sight?) Regardless, Carson did nothing to stop the gunman. But what he did do was send the gunman in another direction, placing someone else in the gunman's path.

Not only was the action hypocritical, the telling of it was arrogantly flippant. Carson's career as a talented neurosurgeon apparently also has given him the ability to be prescient or observant to the point of being a worthy antagonist of Patrick Jane on CBS' "The Mentalist." And how does placing another human being in harm's way -- his "redirecting" of the robber -- set with the Hippocratic Oath, which prompts those in the medical field to do no harm?

Ben Carson would do well to entertain a more enlightened view of how to deal with active shooters in the future, such as familiarizing himself with the FBI's suggestions of how to deal in such situations. (By the way, rushing the gunman is seen as a last resort by the FBI.) He would do even better to completely ignore himself.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ben-...ti-hippocratic
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think Ben Carson has proven himself not only a story-teller, but a coward willing to throw someone else under the bus to save his own skin, wallet, or both.

Personally, I don't find that "useful" in a Presidential candidate let alone a President.

Hopefully, most Republicans won't either.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn