Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bennett: GOP might pass own version of DREAM Act next year

Bennett: GOP might pass own version of DREAM Act next year
    By Michael O'Brien - 12/10/10 02:02 PM ET

Outgoing Sen. Bob Bennett (R-Utah) said Friday he's privately discussed the prospect that Republicans would pursue their own version of the DREAM Act next year.

Bennett said he would vote for the immigration legislation, which gives immigrants who were illegally brought to the U.S. as children a conditional pathway to citizenship, if Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) brought it to the floor under the right conditions.

If that fails, the outgoing senator said, Republicans have privately discussed the prospects of writing and passing a version of the DREAM Act that could make its way through Congress.

"Now, I know a lot of my colleagues are not happy to vote for it, and I don't think the votes ... are there to pass it in this Congress," Bennett said in his final conference call with Utah reporters. "And as I've talked, particularly to my Republican friends, I've said we really need to do this. Their reaction has been to me, privately, 'You're right. We do really need to do it.'"

Democrats are hoping to bring up the House-passed version of the DREAM Act for a vote in the Senate in the closing days of the lame-duck Congress. Bennett has said he would vote for a standalone version of the bill but not for one that is wedded to many other provisions he doesn't prefer.

But time is running out on the Senate's legislative calendar, especially as Republicans have demanded that taxes be handled before any other issue. Because no final deal has been made, it might be difficult for Democrats to pass the legislation.

RELATED ARTICLES

* Senate Dems put DREAM Act on hold after House passage
    * House passes DREAM Act

"We don't like the specifics coming out of the House ... but we agree that, once the Republicans control the House, the Republicans have the responsibility to write a bill that we would vote for and send it over," Bennett said of his conversation with fellow Republicans.

"And we, at least the Republican senators I've talked to, we think that if we get a DREAM Act worded the way we like, we will vote for it, and we want to do it early next year," he added. "It's my hope — I don't expect it — but it's my hope that we can do it this year. If not, it's my hope a little bit stronger that it can be taken care of next year."

Such a move could anger conservatives if the legislation doesn't substantially differ from the Democratic-led legislation this term. Conservative activists were riled by President George W. Bush's push for comprehensive immigration reform in 2007, which — like the DREAM Act — they called an "amnesty" bill.

Republican lawmakers' tensions with the base contributed to the kind of anger in the party base that led to primary challenges to Republican incumbents this cycle. One such primary ended Bennett's career, after Sen.-elect Mike Lee beat out Bennett for the Republican Senate nomination in Utah earlier this year.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -next-year

Kathyet

Illegals

Bennett: You were voted out because you support amnesty for illegal aliens. We will never allow the GOP to support your amnesty for illegal aliens. And we do not want you Bennett.

Such a move could anger conservatives
    Doh!!
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Boggles the Mind

Boggles the mind that guys like this haven't taken or can't take the hint...

NO AMNESTY

NO REWARDS

NO WAY

Americans have shown you the door Bennett and we are showing it to Illegal Alien Invaders...Take the hint because you are just making yourselves look like idiots.

April
    Please keep calling against this travesty, today is another day to make a difference!

So much damage this lame duck can do to our country. Thank gosh bennett is on his way out and how DARE he even try to force this down our throats!! The republicans better not take this up in ANY form!!
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Quote Originally Posted by alisab
    So much damage this lame duck can do to our country. Thank gosh bennett is on his way out and how DARE he even try to force this down our throats!! The republicans better not take this up in ANY form!!
    Yes Bennets statement has the Dreamers all a flutter and they are now full of hope again to continue the battle. He has given them false hope which keeps them from going home and getting on with their lives.

BTW alisab I recently read "The Shack" What a concept mixing a story about a wonderful human form of the Holy Trinity,Forgiveness and a Serial Killer of little girls.Very unsettling............
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson