Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Better opportunities'

'Better opportunities'
    Rhonda Simmons
    Staff Writer
    Sunday, April 15, 2007

A group of day laborers gather in Culpeper Town Square waiting for employers to pick them up Thursday morning. Some of the laborers say they usually find jobs two to three times a week. (Staff Photo, Rhonda Simmons)
    Eduardo said he came to America for a better opportunity.
    And three months ago, he moved to Culpeper because he had a few friends who said there were plenty of jobs here.

“America is good for work and living good,” he said, Thursday afternoon. “They have better opportunities in America.”

Eduardo, a Mexican native, says Americans don’t want to work.
    “They don’t want to do the yard (work),” he said. “They don’t want to work on the farms.”

He says he wants to make a little money here and go back to his country.

Eduardo, along with 50 to 60 day laborers, usually gather in front of Culpeper Town Square daily – dressed in construction boots, baseball caps and heavy jackets – waving at several trucks driving along Bus. 29 trying to obtain daily employment.
    They seem determined to work even though a few obstacles stand in their way.

First, the day laborers, usually Hispanic men, aren’t able to speak English fluently and many are self-proclaimed illegal immigrants.

“We don’t have any papers,” said an older man from Mexico who declined to give his name. “If we don’t find work, some of us stay here or just leave and find work in some other place.”

He said he usually gets picked up two to three days a week by construction or landscaping companies, adding that summer is the best season for outdoor labor.

“The nice weather,” he said.
    The best time for day work is between March and November, according to the day laborers.

“More jobs and better temperature,” he said.
    When asked if they knew who Town Councilman Steve Jenkins is, the day laborers said they had no idea.

Jenkins has spearheaded the fight against illegal immigrants in Culpeper since becoming a council member last year. Now, he is trying to stop day laborers from crowding together in Culpeper Town Square.

Jenkins hosted a forum in the Culpeper County Library last September and attended another meeting in December both to address the influx of “illegal immigrants” in Culpeper.

And Eduardo has heard of people like Jenkins before. Prior to moving to Culpeper, Eduardo lived in North Carolina.

“Americans want to kick you out,” Eduardo said, Thursday afternoon. “What are we going to do if we don’t have any jobs? Sell drugs or do bad things to people?”

Culpeper day laborers, who often travel as far as Maryland to work, agree that they sometimes get taken advantage of when it comes to getting paid.

“When we take it (the check) to the bank, it would bounce,” he said.

They’ve even been left stranded in unfamiliar locations after a hard days work.

“We came here from Florida because some Americans would pick us up and take us to work and just leave us there,” said Juan, a day laborer from Mexico.

After getting paid, they said they like shopping in Culpeper Town Square.

“We get our food here and do our laundry here,” he said.

Chris Amador contributed to this story by translating. Rhonda Simmons can be reached at 825-0771 ext. 125 or rsimmons@starexponent.com.
    http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Sat ... 3350749221
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: 'Better opportunities'

“America is good for work and living good,” he said, Thursday afternoon. “They have better opportunities in America.”

He says he wants to make a little money here and go back to his country.

This is what makes me pull my hair out.
    They don't come here because they love our country.
    They don't come to be a part of the American dream.
    They come for selfish reasons. They come to syphon off of the system, make some pesos and split back home to the country that they really love. We are a bank, a store, a hospital and a school to them. All at no cost. I am tired of being their suckers. I am tired of carrying them on my back. I am tired of their crime. I am tired of their diseases. I am tired of their abuse of all our systems. I am tired of them.
    They want better opportunity at the expense of our opportunity. They want a better life at the expense of our way of life. Enough already!

Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy.

Eduardo, a Mexican native, says Americans don’t want to work.
    “They don’t want to do the yard (work),” he said. “They don’t want to work on the farms.”
    You are poorly informed Eduardo...we just don't want slave wages..we expect a living wage...
    btw I have done this work...I am a woman...I cleaned dog pens...cleaned houses...and yard work...trained horses...to pay my way through college for a nursing degree...I also picked fruit and vegatables...and I loved every job I ever did!...
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

WOW!!! Some actually get that they are not wanted here. They need to take their own advise and go home. Proud is so right. They use and abuse everthing American has to offer and head back to get ready to come back another day. Something has got to give
    Do They understand the word ILLEGAL????