Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bigots, not immigrants, should be made to feel unwelcome in Charlotte

clclt.com
    Opinion
    Posted by Mark Kemp
    Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Charlotte, like many other cities that have not historically dealt so much with large mixes of racial, ethnic and cultural differences (other than black and white), is riddled with bigotry these days. It plays out in the comments section of Creative Loafing, and it plays out in the comments section of The Charlotte Observer.

This morning, on the Charlotte Latin American Coalition's Facebook page, administrators posted this note that the Coalition's executive director, Jess George, wrote to city's daily newspaper

The Observer published an article celebrating the first Charlottean born in 2012, a boy of Latino heritage named Tommy. What followed was a litany of hateful and racist comments posted on the Observer website, so profane that site administrators disabled all comments.

On the paper's website, Ms. George goes on to say:

While I commend the Observer for removing hate speech, we can do more to curb anti-immigrant and anti-Latino sentiments. For example, we, including the Observer, need to stop using the word "illegal" when describing undocumented immigrants. It's offensive, dehumanizing and perpetuates stereotypes and comments like those removed from the website. By using accurate and respectful language the Observer can help reframe this issue. Then maybe we can get back to cooing over babies instead of sending them hate mail. Jess George Charlotte

Depressingly, as the Coalition also writes in its Facebook post, the comments in response to Ms. George's letter prove her point. (To see them, scroll down at this link.)

Do we really want to live in a city like this? Or would we rather change it? As editor of Creative Loafing, I would like to make a public appeal to change it.

It is the bigots, not Latino infants, who should be made to feel unwelcome in Charlotte.

http://clclt.com/theclog/archives/20...readerComments
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I left this comment:

I don't allow my own brothers by birth to just waltz into my home and help themselves to the things I've worked and paid for. I don't expect them to help pay for the things my children need either. Is that bigoted or tribal? I must be confused I guess.

It's the forth one.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Like many other American cities, Charlotte has gone to hell in a handbasket. Glad I don't have to make frequent business trips there anymore.

Perhaps they should file complaints with their respective consulates.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If a person is in a country illegally, they are illegal aliens. A true immigrant will go through the proper channels to become a citizen. A person who comes in illegally deserves to be called an illegal because they didn't step to go through the proper channels.

The author of this op-ed piece seems to be in dark about the nature of illegal aliens. Many illegal aliens from Mexico are bigots and have hateful attitudes towards people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds. In North Carolina and other southern states, illegals probably hate seeing blacks in public. Also many mestizo illegal aliens hate white people from any country. Some Mexicans hate white Cubans and white South Americans with a passion and they also dislike other mesitzo groups from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and they also dislike the mestizos whose families have been U.S. citizens for several generations.

The author of this op-ed piece should work with illegal aliens and he will see firsthand how hateful many illegals are.

Here in California I have heard legal Hispanics refer to them as National's. There is also another term I have always heard that I was told meant stupid. I used this term once and you would have thought I had committed a crime.

While I commend the Observer for removing hate speech, we can do more to curb anti-immigrant and anti-Latino sentiments. For example, we, including the Observer, need to stop using the word "illegal" when describing undocumented immigrants. It's offensive, dehumanizing and perpetuates stereotypes and comments like those removed from the website. By using accurate and respectful language the Observer can help reframe this issue. Then maybe we can get back to cooing over babies instead of sending them hate mail. Jess George Charlotte
    An illegal alien invasion supporting FASCIST speaks! Yes, remove the comments of all the people instead of moderating the few that were over the top. And tell the public and the press exactly what words and expressions and thoughts they are allowed to have.

Charlotte and Durham NC are invasion central and filled with illegal aliens being helped by the big industries and banks to flood into the area displacing and replacing American workers and students.

W