Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Black leaders leaving Dallas schools along with students

10:50 AM CDT on Monday, June 7, 2010

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News
    tdhobbs@dallasnews.com

Second of two parts

As the number of black children in Dallas ISD declined over the last decade, the number of black activists closely observing school board meetings dwindled to a few in the audience.

And some leaders of a civil rights group that once battled for equal education in Dallas schools are now urging black parents to send their kids elsewhere. Some say the rising attention to the needs of children learning English is overshadowing the needs of black students.

As their focus wanes from Dallas ISD, some fear a powerful lobby for the interests of the district's minority students could be lost.

"It's not a surprise to anybody that blacks are leaving DISD," said Juanita Wallace, president of the Dallas NAACP. "We know that Hispanics are really taking over the school district. The whites are completely gone, and now blacks are going."

The number of black students in DISD has fallen from 60,000 a decade ago to about 41,000 today. Meanwhile, suburban districts – such as Cedar Hill, Mansfield and DeSoto – and Dallas charter schools show growing numbers of black students.

Though DISD's overall enrollment of about 157,000 students is fairly flat, the percentage of Hispanic students has soared to 68 percent. The percentage of black students, the dominant group from 1975 to 1994, has dropped to 26 percent. White students now make up about 5 percent of the district, down sharply from 57 percent in 1970.

Hispanic focus denied

DISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa did not voice concern about the drop in black students in a recent interview, saying that it is a trend reflected nationwide. But the decrease in Dallas is more than in other large Texas districts and most major districts nationwide. He disagreed that black children in DISD are being treated any differently.

"We focus on all of our kids," he said. "We can't be successful if 41,000 of our kids are not successful."

Hispanic leaders, some of whom battled alongside black leaders in the 1960s and '70s for equal education, say it only makes sense that more focus be paid to Hispanic students because of their larger numbers and special needs, such as bilingual education. The district spends nearly $6.9 million a year on stipends for certified bilingual teachers.

However, some Hispanic leaders say the loss of black leaders is a loss for all minority children in DISD, because Hispanics are not as vocal.

"I don't see Hispanics having a strong voice," said Jesse Diaz, a community activist and DISD parent. "A lot of them are working; they just don't have the time to be so involved. When it comes to being on TV and giving interviews, they just kind of fade away."

Diaz recently noted that he had a hard time identifying "Hispanic activists" to weigh in on the issue of blacks leaving the district – other than longtime activist and attorney Adelfa Callejo.

Callejo believes that blacks are "abandoning" DISD. She said it's like history repeating itself – when whites fled DISD en masse after a 1971 federal court order to desegregate Dallas schools. The order meant the district would have to provide minority children with the same education that white children were receiving. In 2003, a federal judge declared DISD desegregated.

Callejo said she has noticed the losses in black students.

"I am very sad about that," she said. "I was just amazed with the drops. It seems to me they're doing the same thing the whites are doing."

Black civil rights pioneer Kathlyn Gilliam reminisces about how hard blacks fought to ensure their children would have a good education in DISD. She now ponders the sacrifice as the district's black enrollment decreases.

"I don't feel very good about what's going on because I know how much effort went into seeing that African-American and brown children had a good educational opportunity," said Gilliam, a former DISD trustee of 23 years.

Anthony Peterson is among the leaders of the Black Coalition to Maximize Education, a civil rights group that became a plaintiff in DISD's decades-long desegregation suit. He has children in DISD's magnet schools, which offer specialized instruction.

He said he would not recommend sending black kids to regular district campuses. He, along with the group's spokeswoman, Shirley Daniels, has encouraged parents to consider other options.

"Right now, they're not really getting what they need," Peterson said. "The dollars are going to the Hispanics. It's a tragedy, a major tragedy that we have to pack up like this."

Some parents in Dallas have varying reasons for bypassing DISD, including a belief that smaller educational environments are better – and safer – for their children.

Educator numbers

Some black leaders say that the district's focus on Hispanic children has caused black veteran teachers to lose their jobs. Data on teacher experience by race wasn't readily available, but the percentage of black teachers in DISD was at about 40 percent in 2008-09, the same as before Hinojosa's arrival five years ago.

The percentage of Hispanic teachers in DISD has increased since Hinojosa arrived, from almost 16 percent to 22 percent in 2008-09. The number of white teachers has declined during that time, from 42 percent to 35 percent.

Joyce Foreman, also a member of the Black Coalition to Maximize Education, said she's not surprised that blacks are leaving DISD because the focus on their children has waned, citing cuts in funding to learning centers established as part of the desegregation order. But she said she will continue to be active in the district.

"I'm going to fight, and I'm going to continue to fight," she said. "I'm not going to give up on DISD."

Staff writer Holly K. Hacker contributed to this report.

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/n ... e1003.html

The district spends nearly $6.9 million a year on stipends for certified bilingual teachers.
    And that needs to stop. Immersion works better and saves citizen taxpayers a lot of cash.

"I don't see Hispanics having a strong voice," said Jesse Diaz, a community activist and DISD parent. "A lot of them are working; they just don't have the time to be so involved. When it comes to being on TV and giving interviews, they just kind of fade away."
    Of course they don't have time, they're too busy marching on OUR streets making more and more demands of OUR government and resources.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How's that diversity working?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wonder why this type of news doesn't shock anyone anymore. Like I've always said: "It's all about them and their needs. The rest or other people's opinions and will are irrelevant."

Quote Originally Posted by legalalien
    Wonder why this type of news doesn't shock anyone anymore. Like I've always said: "It's all about them and their needs. The rest or other people's opinions and will are irrelevant."
    it angers me. Urban city schools have been inundated with so many illegals who can't speak english well and they're mostly latinos that it holds back not only black students but ALL students. you can't argue that it is hispanic kids that holds every student in urban cities when schools needs teachers who speak spanish or have every frikken spanish books in place of english text books. to say chinese are also illegal is just trying to point blame elsewhere. at least Chinese (which there are some illegals living here) do not hold students behind. infact, they excel far more than the national average. i dont know how that is but it shows on their SATs, GPA, national honor societies, Science and Math apitudes. can we say the same for their equal the illegal alien latinos? try answering that.
    <div>Stop the Anchor Baby project illegals used to freeload taxpaying American Citizens! </div>

Quote Originally Posted by xchange
    Quote Originally Posted by legalalien
    it angers me. Urban city schools have been inundated with so many illegals who can't speak english well and they're mostly latinos that it holds back not only black students but ALL students. you can't argue that it is hispanic kids that holds every student in urban cities when schools needs teachers who speak spanish or have every frikken spanish books in place of english text books. to say chinese are also illegal is just trying to point blame elsewhere. at least Chinese (which there are some illegals living here) do not hold students behind. infact, they excel far more than the national average. i dont know how that is but it shows on their SATs, GPA, national honor societies, Science and Math apitudes. can we say the same for their equal the illegal alien latinos? try answering that.
    The Chinese are smarter. Different culture as well. Eventually, the huge number of anchor teens in U.S. public schools will destroy budgets and American parents who have money will move their kids to private schools. The rest will be stuck in public schools that will have a predominant Mexican culture like what's already happened in California and Arizona. They will just take over, old-school teachers will retire or quit and get replaced by Hispanic teachers who can cater to their own culture and people in the public schools. Frankly, it will be one big mess if other states continue with their no illegal left behind programs. The system is as screwed up as the BP oil spill. Don't be surprised when school districts, eager to save money and their jobs, start to look south for bilingual teachers and begin to import them into U.S. public schools. Pilot programs are already in place to test that. In states where there is a high concentration of illegals, public schools will turn to crap. At this rate, I give 5-10 years max.
    It is also evident that many Latino students are actually good kids and good students. But unfortunately, that's not the highest percentage.

Though DISD's overall enrollment of about 157,000 students is fairly flat, the percentage of Hispanic students has soared to 68 percent. The percentage of black students, the dominant group from 1975 to 1994, has dropped to 26 percent. White students now make up about 5 percent of the district, down sharply from 57 percent in 1970.
    So this is diversity? Sounds more like a hostile take over if you ask me.

The Chinese do not reject our culture outright. Yes they see that it is "eurocentric" but their culture is mature and teaches a long term view. The Mexicans demonstrate the rationality of young teenagers and seem to stay stuck there. They hate us. They say that we hate them. We don't. They reject our teaching just as they reject our language.

England had slavery on their land yet the black and brown people who immigrate to England make an effort to speak the Queens' English properly. So the British have pointed out to me that they do not have a problem with Ebonics over there. These days they do have a Muslim take over problem as does most of the rest of the world. But the Muslims do speak the Queens' English while they try to take over. So what is it about the US that they reject us while taking our gifts? Why can't we even get them to speak English?
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    maybe someone should ask the Black Caucus and other African American leaders / NAACP why they abandoned African Americans being decimated by Illegal Alien Gangs and now supports La Raza

You better take a look at L.A. and see what the end result was

the leaders of this country have rebuked its minority groups for the new and improved minority group backed by the Bilderbergs, Trilateral Commission etc. etc. etc.

Here is the entire article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... ffbc6.html

'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools

02:23 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First of two parts
    By HOLLY K. HACKER and TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News
    hhacker@dallasnews.com
    tdhobbs@dallasnews.com

Every morning Vivian King drives her granddaughter past her neighborhood Dallas ISD school on the five-mile route to her charter school.
    Also Online

Part One: 'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools

Part Two: Black leaders leaving Dallas schools along with students

Do students who leave DISD find better education elsewhere?

Interactive map: Find enrollment changes at your school

Editorial: A DISD for all students

Floyd: Black flight shows frustration with DISD

Opinion blog: Black flight: why it should matter to DISD

Opinion blog: Black enrollment dropping in DISD

Chat replay: Reporters discuss this story

Graphic: Enrollment patterns and trends

Graphic: DISD enrollment history by race, 1968-2009

Full coverage: Dallas ISD

Blog: Dallas ISD

Blog: The Education Front

Both are "recognized" public schools, but King believes the A.W. Brown-Fellowship Leadership Academy offers her granddaughter, 6-year-old Vivica Griffin, a better education.

"We didn't want her to go to the schools around here," King said.

King's decision makes her part of a historic shift in Dallas ISD: The number of black children attending DISD schools has reached its lowest point since 1965.

The movement mirrors, on a smaller scale, massive white flight from the district in the 1970s.

Black students formed a majority in Dallas schools through the 1980s and '90s. Over the last 10 years, though, the number of black children has fallen by nearly 20,000, or about a third. Meanwhile, Hispanic children have filled their seats as the district's overall enrollment remains fairly flat at about 157,000.

Today, about 41,000 black students attend DISD schools. They make up 26 percent of the district compared with 106,000 Hispanic children, or 68 percent. White students are 5 percent of the district.

The trend seen in Dallas schools is part of a larger national move away from inner cities for many black families, but the plunge is steeper in Dallas ISD than other urban districts in Texas and is among the biggest declines nationally.

Interviews with dozens of parents reveal that the exodus is not fueled by a single reason, but by myriad forces including issues of race, class, perceptions of problems within DISD, an explosion of charter schools and the quest for the American dream in the suburbs.

Adelfa Callejo, a Latina civil rights activist, said it's like history repeating itself.

"They're doing exactly what the whites are doing, abandoning the school district," Callejo said. "That will leave us with a lack of black leadership. You need leaders of all races to make it happen."

Specifically, black parents most often mentioned the following reasons:

•The perception that Dallas ISD schools offer an inferior education compared with suburban schools, and that the school system is too big and impersonal.

•As Dallas ISD educates a growing number of Hispanic students, many of whom are poor and learning English, some black parents say the district no longer focuses on their children.

•The desire of middle-class blacks to live in bigger, newer, more comfortable homes in the suburbs, away from big-city crime and congestion.

•A growing number of charter schools, which are public schools run by private groups.

•Many of Dallas' traditionally black neighborhoods are aging, and young Hispanic families are moving in to replace them and having children.

Superintendent Michael Hinojosa did not voice concern with the drop in black students, saying the shift is part of a national trend.

Hinojosa disagreed that DISD is losing focus on black children.

"We cannot be successful if those kids are not successful, absolutely not," he said.

He pointed to a district initiative to improve math skills of black students.

"Three years later, those results are bearing out," Hinojosa said. "We've had tremendous growth in those performances."

The most recent TAKS results show that black students improved in all subject areas this year, but Hispanic students showed even greater gains.

'Saggy pants'

Perceptions of Dallas ISD schools play a large role in parental decisions.

For many black parents, Dallas ISD is little more than a place to warehouse kids, a place where educators don't care and students lack discipline.

"I don't want my grandkid in that environment where the teachers don't teach and the kids wear saggy pants," King said. "You don't see that at the charter school."

Yet, state data shows the teachers are less experienced at the charter school King's granddaughter attends than their neighborhood DISD school.

Brianna Sosa, 17, attends Gateway Charter Academy in Oak Cliff. The small size – 340 students – offers a family environment. She said that outweighs the fact that her school does not offer an array of Advanced Placement classes.

Sosa, who is black, has never attended a DISD school and previously attended Lancaster schools. She was concerned when she heard about the metal detectors at DISD high schools.

"I'm not a rough person," Brianna said. "I couldn't imagine walking through metal detectors. I wouldn't feel safe at a school like that."

Still, many black families have stayed with DISD.

"There are excellent teachers in Dallas, and I just elected to stay because I like Dallas," said Ola Allen, whose daughter just graduated from Skyline High School.

And Christopher Davis, whose son attends Thomas Tolbert Elementary, praises the school. "The classes are smaller, and you have more one-on-one type education," he said.

Still, Davis said his family has thought about moving to Mansfield.

"Better schools, a better community, less crime," he said.

Racial friction

Racial friction between blacks and Hispanics has long been a reality in Dallas ISD, from the hiring of Superintendent Michael Hinojosa to racial divisions among board members to arguments over funding priorities for civil rights-era learning centers.

Many black parents are concerned about the attention and money spent bringing native Spanish-speakers up to speed. Some say their children are ignored.

"Nothing is geared towards us; it's all geared towards the Hispanics," said Shirley Daniels, spokeswoman for the Black Coalition to Maximize Education, a civil rights group and plaintiff in DISD's federal desegregation case, which lasted from 1970 to 2003.

On the other hand, community activist Jesse Diaz, whose daughter attends a DISD school in Pleasant Grove, said he believes that some of the district's naysayers have a prejudice against non-English-speaking Hispanic children and poor kids. The percentage of DISD students labeled "economically disadvantaged," meaning they qualify for free or reduced-price school meals, has increased from 73 percent in 2000 to 87 percent this year.

"People always ask me, 'Why are you sending your daughter to DISD?' " said Diaz, who is Hispanic. "They don't want to be there with that class of people."

Marisela Vargas, a longtime DISD volunteer, said her three children received good educations in the district. Two are now teachers in DISD and another served in the Air Force and is now a plumber, she said.

Vargas said the key to having a successful experience in DISD is to get involved and voice any concerns. "We cannot blame everything on DISD," she said.

Suburb migration

Regional student statistics show black families are sending their children to suburban districts such as Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Garland , Plano , Frisco and Mansfield.

Bray Elementary in Cedar Hill has for years carried the state's top rating of "exemplary." Ten years ago, the student body was nearly 80 percent white. This year it's about half black, a quarter white and a quarter Hispanic.

Maurice Addison and his wife moved to Cedar Hill from Detroit two years ago. Addison is a patrol officer with the Dallas Police Department.

Addison, who is black, said he asked around when picking a school for his two sons. He heard good things about Bray.

"Once we came here and went to a few PTA meetings and met a few teachers, we very quickly observed the passion of teaching and all the extra activities," Addison said.

Other plusses: the school's after-school "character chorus" emphasizing respect and responsibility. And all students learn to play string instruments.

Addison, a product of Detroit public schools, said he never considered Dallas public schools. "I'm from the city, and I know the detrimental issues that are going on with city schools right now."

As more black families migrate to the suburbs, figures show white families move farther out.

Bray's principal, Robert Johansen, said much of the white exodus from Cedar Hill schools took place in the early 2000s.

"I believe it was because they didn't feel like people looked like them. We still were an exemplary school. We still were performing. They were afraid that there was going to be a change," he said.

This year's preliminary TAKS scores show more than 95 percent of Bray students – black, white and Hispanic alike – passed their reading and math tests, and half or more scored at the higher "commended" level.

There are DISD schools with economic student demographics similar to Bray's that scored as well.

Switching to charters

An explosion of charter schools in Dallas has offered new options to parents.

About 5,900 black children who live within DISD's boundaries attend charter schools. Houston ISD, by comparison, enrolls more black students than DISD and loses fewer of them to charter schools.

Academy of Dallas in Oak Cliff has the state's lowest academic rating of "unacceptable." But that does not deter Brenda Toliver, whose grandson attends.

"To me, they're more advanced," she said. "The children learn a lot more, and the classes are not that big."

Yet TAKS scores show that last year less than a quarter of fifth-graders passed all their TAKS exams. About a mile away, 60 percent of fifth-graders passed all of their exams at DISD's Henderson Elementary School.

A.W. Brown-Fellowship Leadership school in the Red Bird area is one of the area's larger charters. Nearly all students are black, as that group's enrollment has spiked from 161 kids in 2000 to 948 this year.

The charter has amenities not typical on Dallas ISD campuses, from an indoor golf course to a playground with artificial grass and a kid-size basketball court.

Several A.W. Brown parents said that the school, rated "recognized," has a superior curriculum that encourages parent participation. Fifth and sixth-graders must do 100 hours of community service. They say administrators and teachers seem more concerned about their children and that classes are smaller – though A.W. Brown reports class sizes that well exceed the state average across every grade level.

"Charter schools are on a higher level," said Brandy Redwine, whose daughter attends A.W. Brown. "They get up and personal with the students and tend to care for them."

Housing factors

The loss of black students is also due to larger shifts in neighborhoods. Aging black populations in the city and the destruction of housing has fueled change.

Freda Jones Dunbar lives across the street from H.S. Thompson Elementary. It has lost 635 black students in the last decade, and the 220 students left are evenly split between black and Hispanic.

Dunbar has lived in her South Dallas home for 10 years. "When I moved here, it was flooded with kids," said Dunbar, who is black. Now she sees only a handful of children walk to school each day.

The city recently tore down the Rhoads Terrace projects, which used to be across the railroad tracks from the school. Down Bexar Street, the Turner Courts projects also came down. Nearby blocks are sprinkled with vacant houses.

Jones says she doesn't want to move. She knows everyone who lives on her short block. And she hasn't seen young families move in.

"They're going to Duncanville , Cedar Hill, Arlington."

COMING MONDAY: Some civil rights leaders who once battled for equal education in Dallas schools are now urging black parents to send their kids elsewhere.
    KEY POINTS: SHIFTING SCHOOL ENROLLMENTS

The Dallas Morning News analyzed student enrollment data from the Texas Education Agency over the past decade. Among the findings:

•Ten years ago, Dallas ISD had nearly 161,000 students. It was 38 percent black, 52 percent Hispanic and 9 percent white. Today, Dallas enrolls 157,000 students, with 26 percent of them black, 68 percent Hispanic and 5 percent white.

•Black enrollment in Dallas ISD dropped by 19,000, or 31 percent, over the decade. In both raw numbers and percentage change, that's a bigger decline than in Houston, Fort Worth and Austin ISDs.

•DISD's Hispanic enrollment climbed 23,000, or 27 percent. Only Cypress-Fairbanks ISD near Houston and Northside ISD near San Antonio added more Hispanic students over the decade.

•During that period, the number of white students dropped the most in Arlington ISD (a loss of 10,500), followed by Mesquite ISD (10,000), Garland ISD (9,000), Fort Worth ISD (7,500) and Dallas ISD (6,500).

•5,900 black students who live within Dallas ISD's boundaries attend charter schools. Among Texas districts with a sizable black population, only Lancaster, North Forest and La Marque ISDs have a greater share of resident black students attending charter schools.

•Dallas ISD may be losing black students, but the total number of black people living in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area has surged. According to a new Brookings Institution report, Dallas-Fort Worth gained 159,000 black residents from 2000 to 2008 – second only to Atlanta. The Dallas region also added 597,000 Hispanics, second only to the Riverside, Calif., area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast