Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GUILTY: Teen convicted in baby shooting

By Graham Winch
    updated 4:45 PM EDT, Fri August 30, 2013

NEED TO KNOW

• A Georgia jury convicted De’Marquise Elkins, 18, of murder Friday for shooting and killing 13-month-old Antonio Santiago
    • Baby Santiago was shot in the broad daylight on the streets of Brunswick, Georgia March 21

After deliberating for nearly two hours, a Georgia jury found 18-year-old De’Marquise Elkins guilty Friday of multiple charges, including felony murder, for shooting and killing 13-month-old Antonio Santiago during a robbery.

Read more: Mom of slain Georgia baby takes the stand

Elkins was also convicted of aggravated assault and other charges for shooting pastor Wilfredo Calix-Flores during a separate mugging 10 days before baby Santiago was shot.
    His mother Karimah Elkins, who was tried along with her son, was convicted of tampering with evidence for her role in trying to cover up the shooting.
    Both Elkins and his mother showed no sign of any emotion as the verdict was read. They sat silently, staring straight ahead as they have throughout the entire trial.
    Elkins could be sentenced to life in prison for his convictions. He was spared from the death penalty, because he was 17 when he shot the baby. A Georgia law prohibits anyone who is under 18 years old during the commission of a crime from being executed. His mother could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison for her conviction.
    Read more: George mom defends her story of child's shooting
    Sherry West, Santiago’s mother, wept on the stand during the trial as she recounted how Elkins shot her son in broad daylight in Brunswick, Georgia, on March 21, after trying to mug her.
    “I told him I have a baby and I have expenses and I didn't have it. He asked me if I wanted him to shoot my baby. I told him, 'Please don't shoot my baby.' He shot a warning shot into the ground," West said, weeping. "I asked him, 'Why are you doing this? Please don't do this.' It felt like he shot me in the ear. Then he shot me in the leg. My left leg."
    West said one of the teens then did the unthinkable -- he aimed for the baby.
    "I tried to stop him. I put my arms over my baby but he still shot him," she said. "He walked over and shot my baby."
    During his closing argument Friday, Elkins' attorney Jonathan Lockwood attacked West’s recollection of the shooting, saying she couldn’t confidently identify Elkins as the shooter. He also accused her of plotting her baby’s death to profit from a life insurance policy.
    “Sherry West is a woman who was very distraught, who was very emotional. But also who acted in a rather bizarre way. You saw the video of where she is laughing and cutting up with officers, and making jokes with them just after her child was murdered,” Lockwood said.
    “Incidentally, does anybody know what the protocol is for how you are supposed to act when you watch your child get shot in the face,” prosecutor Jackie Johnson said during her closing argument.
    Johnson called the defense’s accusation that West planned her baby’s death a “grand conspiracy” and an attempt to distract from the reality that his client is guilty.
    “We have a defendant who preyed upon the weak. He preyed upon the weak when he was looking for Mexicans to rob, because he knows lots of times they can’t speak English. They are afraid. They might be here illegally. They may not even report to police,” said Johnson. “They don’t see any more Mexicans that morning. They see something even better, something even more weak, something even more vulnerable, a mother and a child.”
    Johnson ended her closing argument with an emotional plea to the jury to find Elkins guilty of murder.
    “This case cries out for malice,” Johnson said.
    http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/08/30/DeMarquise-Elkins-guilty-brunswick-baby-shooting?hpt=hp_t2
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Chicago: Three Brothers Kidnap and Rape 15 Y/O

08/30/13

From WGN:

Three brothers from the Chatham neighborhood return to court today to face charges of kidnapping and raping a 15-year-old girl.

Brothers charged with rape, Aziz Animashaun and his brothers Isiaka and Taiwo are being held on bond.

Police say on December 21, Aziz knocked the girl out as she took out her trash; then he took her to his home, where he, his brothers and several other men assaulted her.

Investigators say they collected DNA evidence tying one of the brothers to the crime; the girl identified the other two brothers.

http://www.reagancoalition.com/artic...hers-15yo.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Georgia Teen Who Shot to Death Sleeping 13-Month-Old Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole

September 13, 2013 | Filed under: Law & Government,Top Stories | By: Heather Clark

BRUNSWICK, Ga. – A Georgia teenager that was convicted of killing a sleeping infant this past spring as part of a robbery attempt has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

As previously reported, the incident occurred in March of this year as mother Sherry West was walking home from the Brunswick post office with her son Antonio, whom she pushed in a stroller.

“A boy approached me and told me he wanted my money, and I told him I didn’t have any money,” West told reporters. “And he said, ‘Give me your money or I’m going to kill you, and I’m going to shoot your baby and kill your baby.’ And I said, ‘I don’t have any money, and don’t kill my baby.’”

One of the two teens that approached then tried to grab her purse, but West reiterated that she was not carrying any money. Upon uttering the words, a gunshot rang out, grazing her in the head, just past her ear. The teenager then shot her a second time in the leg.

“I put my arms over my baby and he shoved me,” West explained. “And then he shot my baby right in the head.”

The mother stated that she tried to perform CPR on little Antonio, and when police arrived, they too attempted to revive the boy, but it was too late.
    “I saw his lungs inflating, but he was not breathing and there was no pulse,” she said. “We lost him.”

West stated that the suspects ran when she began crying out for someone to help her.

“I screamed for help — for a neighbor to call police, and he ran off,” she explained. “He got scared that I screamed.”

Days later, suspects De’Marquis Elkins, 17, and Dominique Lang, 14, were taken into custody, and Elkins was charged with first-degree murder.

On Thursday, following a trial for Elkins and his mother, who was found guilty of tampering with evidence by attempting to dispose of the gun used in the crime, the teen, now 18, was sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was spared from the death penalty since the crime occurred when he was 17.

However, Elkins’ attorney, public defender Kevin Gough, said that he will appeal the verdict and sentence. Gough told reporters that the composition of the jury, being all white, resulted in an unfair trial for the black teen. He also stated that he believed the sentence was “cruel and unusual punishment” as Elkins struggled with a difficult upbringing.

Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley, however, not only sentenced Elkins for the murder, but also for attempted robbery, as well as for an incident that took place days prior to the stroller shooting as Elkins is also suspected in shooting and injuring a pastor at his church.

Elkins’ accomplice, Dominique Lang, has not yet stood trial. He testified earlier this year against Elkins in court, stating that the teen had ordered the mother to give him her purse, and counted down from five when she would not comply.

“[My baby's] first word was never heard. His first sentence was never said,” West read to the court, according to the Associated Press. “He never got to sleep in a toddler bed.”

“The love of my life was taken away, far away,” she said. “All I can do is cry and wonder when I’m going to die.”

http://christiannews.net/2013/09/13/...ithout-parole/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12