Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Blitz - Visa Waiver Expansion from NumbersUSA

House is last chance to strip the expansion of the Visa Waiver Program out of the 9/11 bill!

This is a Phone Call Request

You can find this Phone Call Request by proceeding to
    http://www.numbersusa.com/phones?ID= 8433

Late last night (July 26), by a 85-8 vote, the Senate adopted the conference report (H. Rept. 110-259) for the bill implementing unfulfilled recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. That conference report includes a provision authorizing DHS to expand the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which enabled convicted 9/11 co-conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui to enter the U.S.The House is expected to take up the conference report soon – perhaps as early as today (July 27). Call your U.S. Representative and ask them to recommit the 9/11 bill conference report to conferees for removal of VWP expansion provisions. The number for the Capitol switchboard is 202-224-3121. using just his French passport and would have allowed shoe bomber Richard Reid to enter using just his British passport.

Tell them how important it is to you that they strip the VWP expansion from the bill!

You can call anyone in Congress using the Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121.

Lawmakers, Federal officials and security experts all have warned that the VWP makes our coutnry extremely vulnerable to foreign criminals and terrorists who carry passports from these 27 countries and makes it relatively easy for them to gain entry to the U.S. A recent GAO report found significant weaknesses in the existing program.

BACKGROUND

Each year, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows millions of foreign nationals from 27 different "friendly" countries -- mostly in Europe -- to enter the United States for up to 90 days without first being required to go through the screening process of obtaining a visa.

If enacted, the VWP expansion language as written would authorize DHS to waive the VWP's requirements for a nation's inclusion in the VWP as long as the country has: (1) cooperated with the United States on security and counterterrorism matters; and (2) met minimal standards for visa refusal and/or enforcement relative to visa overstays, security of passports, and "prompt" repatriation of nationals ordered removed from the U.S. DHS would only be required to give Congress 30 days' notice before granting such a waiver.

This comes at a time when DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff has indicated publicly that he is considering doing away with the Visa Waiver Program entirely:

"When we identify areas where we are vulnerable, it becomes obvious that Europeans traveling without visas belong to these areas."

Why are they doing this?

Congress is under a lot of pressure from the tourist industry to do away with the visa system, which they see as an impediment to their business. Of course, nothing quells tourism like a terrorist attack.

VWP expansion = illegal immigration expansion

This is about more than security, however. The visa process helps screen out visitors who have a profile that suggests a high likelihood of overstaying a visa and becoming an illegal alien. Since around 40 percent of all illegal aliens first came as legal visitors, expanding the number of countries that don't have to issue visas certainly will expand the number of people becoming illegal aliens.

Some Talking Points:

Whatever you do, make it clear that they must strip the VWP expansion language from the final 9/11 bill!

We have provided additional talking points below.

Talking point: The Visa Waiver Program puts my family at risk. Why, then, is it expanded as part of a bill that is supposed to make us safer? It's beyond me. Please act to have the VWP language removed.

Talking point: Six years after 9/11, there should be no program that allows 10 million citizens from 27 different countries to enter our nation for up to 90 days without being required to go through the screening process of first obtaining a visa. Only Congress would think to actually expand the Visa Waiver Program during a time of heightened risk. This "security" bill makes us less secure. Please send it back to conference and take the Visa Waiver Program expansion out!

Talking point: The Visa Waiver Program enabled convicted 9/11 co-conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui to enter the U.S. using just his French passport in February 2001. Richard Reid, a British citizen convicted of trying to detonate a bomb hidden in his shoe while he was flying from Paris to Florida in December 2001, also was able to board a plane bound for the U.S. with just his passport. Congress should be closing this loophole - not expanding it!

Talking point: Congress must be determined to force illegal immigration down the nation's throat. Just weeks after the Senate's embarrassing amnesty bill was rejected by the American people, Congress added language to a 9/11 bill of all things that would expand the Visa Waiver Program, which is a giant loophole for terrorists in particular, and potential illegal aliens in general. This is the most important issue on Capitol Hill right now and Congress is trying to sneak it through without debate!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I called Patrick McHenry's (R-NC) Office and spoke to his staffer, Casey Hastings. She said McHenry is against the VWP expansion and McHenry is trying to get it stripped. She said she would call back later today and give me an update. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

I called Mike McIntyre (D-NC). Non-committal about the bill, as they usually are.

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey
    I called Mike McIntyre (D-NC). Non-committal about the bill, as they usually are.
    Most democrats are.........
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Dixie, when I got my email from Numbers, I called Ga's, Tenn's, Md's Senators.

I shall try to be as clear as I may here.

Imagine that the Tourism Industry succeeds in spreading open the Visa Waiver Program loophole.

Imagine that the Tourism Industry manages to make it that much easier to get into this country.

Now...

Given the risk of Terrorism...

Doesn't that mean that these Travel Agents in the Tourism Industry...

are putting money above your safety??

Aren't they putting the "green" of foreigners over your own American blood??
    'Tolerance' just means 'Take it!'
    It's not about conforming your mind to reality — but conforming reality to your mind (your mind over matter, not matter over you).