Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Bush grants presidency extraordinary powers

Bush grants presidency extraordinary powers
    Order for emergencies apparently gives authority without congressional oversight

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=55825

Posted: May 23, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern
    © 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

President Bush has signed an executive order granting extraordinary powers to the office of the president in the event of a declared national emergency, apparently without congressional approval or oversight.

The order was signed May 9 without any announcement, says Jerome R. Corsi in a WND column.

Titled, "National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive," it was issued with the dual designation of NSPD-51, as a National Security Presidential Directive, and HSPD-20, as a Homeland Security Presidential Directive.

The order establishes under the office of the president a new national continuity coordinator whose job is to make plans for "National Essential Functions" of all federal, state, local, territorial and tribal governments, as well as private sector organizations to continue functioning under the president's directives in the event of a national emergency.

"Catastrophic emergency" is loosely defined as "any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions."

Corsi says the president can assume the power to direct any and all government and business activities until the emergency is declared over.

The executive order says the assistant to the president for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, currently Frances Fragos Townsend, would be designated as the national continuity coordinator.

Corsi says the executive order makes no attempt to reconcile the powers created for the national continuity coordinator with the National Emergency Act, which requires that such proclamation "shall immediately be transmitted to the Congress and published in the Federal Register."

A Congressional Research Service study notes the National Emergency Act sets up Congress as a balance empowered to "modify, rescind, or render dormant" such emergency authority if Congress believes the president has acted inappropriately.

But the new executive order appears to supersede the National Emergency Act by creating the new position of national continuity coordinator without any specific act of Congress authorizing the position, Corsi says.

The order also makes no reference to Congress and its language appears to negate any a requirement that the president submit to Congress a determination that a national emergency exists.

It suggests instead that the powers of the executive order can be implemented without any congressional approval or oversight.

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke affirmed to Corsi the Homeland Security Department would implement the requirements of the order under Townsend's direction.

The White House declined to comment on the order.

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry

There is something very ominous developing in this country. Bush is attempting to transform his position into a dictatorship, and our so-called representatives (with a few exceptions), no longer feel an obligation to their constituents.

If we, the 'legal' taxpaying citizens of this country, do not thwart their plans, we will cease to have a democracy, and will be citizens of a country we no longer recognize.

I believe this is something very evil. When I see Bush and the other traitors, I see a group of demons.

I really feel strongly that we need to have a MAJOR boycott of something. I am not sure what that something is yet that will give all of us the power over and against the politicians and policies to listen to us. I wish we could get a strong 3rd party to teach them all a lesson and somehow not let them get hands on our money to misuse it on these idiotic policies they come up with.
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Oops! I just posted this again in the News Stories section. Didn't mean to duplicate post so if one of the mods thinks that's uncool feel free to delete it. My Bad! I'll leave it to the thinkers to decide...

fedupdeb wrote:
    There is something very ominous developing in this country. Bush is attempting to transform his position into a dictatorship, and our so-called representatives (with a few exceptions), no longer feel an obligation to their constituents.
    Did you notice that although the politicians and leaders in government are acting covertly, not one of them is denying their actions when they come under the microscope? They are trying to dupe the American people with lies and half-truths while they continue to go about their work in secret.

Our president may or may not ever benefit from powers he is granting to his office, and I think it should be obvious he is consolidating power for his successor. A grand scheme is unfolding before our eyes and most of our countrymen are oblivious to this reality or it's consequences. The news of more presidential power without oversight reminds me of the power grab playing out in Venezuela.

Does anyone realize that our rights to assemble and protest are under fire here? Tens of thousands marching in the streets could be deemed a National Emergency because of disruption of commerce, etc. and the National Guard, police or military could be called in by presidential order to supress and disperse you.

This action should scare everyone to death! Looks like Alex Jones isn't the
    alarmist some people implied, eh? If you don't know who that is, Google the name and read up on his message....