Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

For California entry-level jobs, is "bilingual preferre

For California entry-level jobs, is "bilingual preferred" code speak for racial discrimination?
    Black Teens Feel the Chill of 'Bilingual Preferred'

INLAND EMPIRE

When San Bernardino High School teens Jazanique Jackson, Ashanae Brown and Kimyen Hawkins decided they wanted to work this summer, they left nothing to chance.

They knew the rules: plan ahead; role play; be positive; adapt; relate and encourage.

So when they hit the streets to start their summer job search they were prepared for virtually every eventuality except one.

¿No habla ingles? Can't speak Spanish.

"We were shocked. We applied at places like McDonalds, Burger King and Jack in the Box. We went to shoe stores, pizza parlors and convenience stores. The workers were overwhelmingly Spanish speaking. Pretty much they always ask us, 'Do you speak Spanish?' They said we prefer bilingual," says Jazanique. And, as an American who only speaks English, her answer leaves her without the job.

"It's hard when you can't even get an interview because you don't speak Spanish," said Jazanique.

For Jazanique, Ashanae and Kimyen the job hunting experience is both frustrating and sobering. The unemployment rate among African-American teens is shockingly six times the national rate. This according to the U.S. Department of Labor translates into approximately 296,000 African-American teenagers actively seeking employment who are finding it difficult to secure a job.

It does seem strange to Kimyen who grew up believing jobs are plentiful if you're flexible, motivated and willing to work hard.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 320AAZVABf

Time to start filing employment discrimination law suits. OUR work force in this country shouldn't be determined by a group of illegal aliens who have come to this country ILLEGALLY, not knowing how to and having no intention of learning to SPEAK OUR OFFICIAL LANGUAGE WHICH IS ENGLISH!! No matter what these morons from places like the THE NCLR (The National Council of Latino Racists) and other such despicible organizations try to tell you, ENGLISH IS OUR OFFICIAL LANGUAGE..the ONLY PROOF I need of that is to read which language our FOUNDING DOCUMENTS WERE FINALLY WRITTEN IN!!!!

WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! AND STAND UP!!
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

I posted this same reply in news forum. But it fits so well here...I am a Native Californian and I have issues with illegal aliens. Here is one, I am unemployed, 30% of the jobs to which I applied turn me down because I am NOT a Latino... Here is another, January 1, 2001 unemployment rate was 4.1% REPEAT 9 years ago 1/1/01 unemployment was 4.1%. January 1, 2001 there were 7 million or so illegal aliens in the United States a portion of them in California... TODAY May 16, 2010 the national U3 unemployment rate is 10% and the U6 unemployment rate (long term) is 17%. In California those numbers are 13% U3 and 23% u6 (1 in 4 voters). Today 5/16/10 there are 23 million illegal aliens in the United States -- forget the illegal lover numbers of 12 million even La Raza says it is 16-18 million.

See a connection? 23 million illegals today and 27 million unemployed? End unemployment in the United States by deporting ALL illegal aliens, prevent offshoring, heavy tariffs on nations that use slave-like wage labor (China).

YES JBParrothead file discrimination law suits is probably what hungry attorneys should be doing right now -- laws should work both ways.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Re: For California entry-level jobs, is "bilingual pref

Quote Originally Posted by ShockedinCalifornia
    For California entry-level jobs, is "bilingual preferred" code speak for racial discrimination?
    Black Teens Feel the Chill of 'Bilingual Preferred'
    If I were black I'd be as proud as the day is long just to be able to say, "President Obama." Unfortunately he wants unskilled labor to be immigrant based. So there's no chance at all that the Justice Department will move against against this kind of employment discrimination.

When Obama was campagning I predicted that he'd be a disaster for the poorest Americans. Everything I see says that this is true.

IMO it's the ultimate absurdity of an illegals-based economy. Extensive traveling taught me how *easy* it is to learn basic words and phrases. Heck, there are guidebooks which even tell you how to pronounce the words. Requiring bilingual capability for fast food jobs is completely unnecessary - and completely absurd.

Not to mention that they came here, we didn't go there. It's their responsibility to adapt to us.