Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California Voters, Yes On Prop 98 Today> Explained

Howdy all,
    Don't forget to vote today and vote Yes on 98.

California goes to the polls today on Kelo–or does it?

By see-dubya • June 3, 2008 01:39 AM

Californians get to vote today, and two of the propositions on the ballot are clamoring petulantly for attention. Prop 98 and Prop 99 both claim to put an end to the eminent-domain outrageousness of Kelo v. New London. And each bill claims that the other is a secret plot to undermine the true anti-Kelo bill. I think one of them is right.

Funny thing is, the literature we’ve been receiving is contradictory as well. I got a flyer in the mail from some “grassrootsâ€

–> The League of Women Voters and the AARP oppose Prop 98. That makes me more inclined to be for it.
    I'll be there and that clinched it for me too! Here's an article on this I received in email:

Propositions 98 and 99: Stop the Dilemma

A great deal of money is being spent—along with a lot of emotion—over confusing propositions on the June 3 ballot: Propositions 98 and 99.

Contained within both are the issues of eminent land domain for property owners (pitting government officials and wealthy developers against homeowners, churches and small businesses.) But another hot topic—rent control—is inherent only to Proposition 98.

For Proposition 98 or Proposition 99 to succeed, either measure will have to accomplish two things: (1) earn more than 50% of the vote and (2) earn more affirmative votes than its competitor. Put simply, whichever gets the most votes over 50% wins.

Huge amounts of money are being spent to defeat 98 and to see 99 be a slam-dunk winner at the polls.

Take a look at these dollars:

Amount spent promoting Proposition 98: $ 3,178,096.55

Amount spent promoting Proposition 99: $19,651,673.23

The Proposition 98 money comes largely from the Howard Jarvis group and apartment owners.

The Proposition 99 money comes largely from city government lobbying groups and wealthy developers.

Proposition 98 amends the State Constitution to (1) constrain state and local governments’ authority to take private property and (2) phase out rent control.

The misleading ads, direct mail campaigns and emails are scaring many.

Historically, what voters do in cases like these is simply vote “Noâ€

Good Luck out there in Ca . Every time you guys get it together and do a major vote for the people of the state the damn Federal courts throw the new prop out on some new make as you go ruling ! Maybe this time your 98 if voted in will hold
    ya'll have had some really good props that would have saved your state from this 15 billion budget deficit she has now. Kiss off Fed's
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Keep us posted and let us know what happens with this! Pretty please, since we can not vote on it!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info. on these measures. I like to think that I'm pretty up to date on what's going on out here on the issues. But, This is the first time I really couldn't figure this one out. Perhaps that was their mission statement? To confuse me so much that I would get pissed off and not know what to do? I had to vote NO on both as I really didn't know what to do. And another thing, Our boneheads in Congress are so screwed up out here that I was afraid they would screw us more with a Constitutional Amendment. Which would take an act of God to repeal. Have a great day.