Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

A city in anarchy , Is this America or Baghdad?

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Here's a partial list:

* burglary
    * theft
    * embezzlement
    * grand theft
    * grand theft:dog
    * identity theft
    * false information to peace officer
    * required to register as sex or arson offender
    * dump waste or offensive matter
    * discard appliance with lock
    * loud music
    * possess forged notes
    * pass fictitious check
    * obtain money by false voucher
    * fraudulent use of access cards
    * stolen license plate
    * embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
    * extortion
    * attempted extortion
    * false personification of other
    * injure telephone/ power line
    * interfere with power line
    * unauthorized cable tv connection
    * vandalism

Batts has only been chief since last October. "I came here to build an organization, not to downsize one," Batts said.

Some 80 officers will be let go at midnight if a last-minute deal is not reached. Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall today in the mayor's office. That is about a tenth of the force.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off - mostly new officers - are "pretty sad and pretty depressed," and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city's $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security. The city council asked OPD officers to pay nine percent of their salary toward their pensions, which would save the city about $7.8 million toward a multi-million dollar deficit. The police union agreed, as long as the city could promise no layoffs for three years. No dice, says city council president Jane Brunner.

"We wish we could offer them a three-year no layoff protection we just can't financially.It would be irresponsible of us," Brunner told NBC Bay Area. The city agreed to a one-year moratorium on layoffs, but it is not enough for the union.

The problem is that in the last five years, the police budget -- along with the fire department budget -- have amount to 75 percent of the general fund. After years of largely sparing those departments the budget ax, now it appears there are few other places to cut.

These are the last hours of negotiation and Brunner is hopeful that the city and police will find some sort middle ground.

"It's been very good conversation and not a whole lot of grandstanding." Brunner said. "There's actually real conversations. Each side understands the problem," she said.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-be ... 66509.html

Banned
    Wow
    He just basically said , come on in and commit all the crime you want, we don't care

God it would suck to live there.

But it has for years anyway

Banned
    For years police were a pro active force against crime, the cop on the beat , the neighborhood patrols to deter crime , Then police work became reactive , only dealing with crime after the fact.

Now it appears Oakland won't even go that far , Why waste the money , just disband the force and declare Dodge city law.

Banned
    Why don't the have san fran nan give them a hand.
    Oh California, sucks to be me at times but man it must really suck to be you.
    By the way, I just gave a map with directions to a big group of Illegal aliens leaving Arizona, they look forward to your hospitality. Don't disappoint the Illegal aliens now. They have a bunch of hungry kids and some pregnant teen age girls.Good luck.

Anybody want to place bets on whether of not Oakland is
    the next Maywood.

I spent some time in that area when I was in the Navy.
    It was nice back then, it's a shame to see it go to pot...

Def
    If the race card is the only card in your hand, you're not playing with a full deck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by defaoite62
    Anybody want to place bets on whether of not Oakland is
    the next Maywood.

I spent some time in that area when I was in the Navy.
    It was nice back then, it's a shame to see it go to pot...

Def
    I don't think it will go the same route as Maywood , There is to much of a large Black presence there ,

I see a mini race war brewing there though over the Blacks and Hispanics

As a Californian it is sad to say that we have list of cities we stay away from.

I have traveled from Northern California to San Diego for years. I have managed to have a routine of where to stop for gas, food or restrooms bypassing Oakland and LA. My children and grandchildren have learned from me. Earlier this year I got a call from my grandaughter as she was driving from San Diego to Santa Barbara it went like this "Thanks Nana, I almost wet my pants. I got stuck in LA traffic, but I remembered all the times you wouldn't stop in LA (too dangerous) so I just kept going until I got on the otherside of LA.

Then there was the call from my other grandaughter coming home from college for the weekend with other kids. Nana we are stopping at Pleasonton to eat, we are starving but you have always told me to never stop in Oakland.

It is a shame that I don't feel safe in parts of California and that I have passed this on to my children and grandchildren. But after reading this article I am glad that they have learned and listened.

Re: A city in anarchy , Is this America or Baghdad?

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism.
    This country is quickly going down the toilet. It's time for Americans to take full advantage of their 2nd Amendment rights. You can't depend on the federal government to protect out borders, you on our states to do anything, and now our police departments have thrown their hands up. We have two choices now, fight back or give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    For years police were a pro active force against crime, the cop on the beat , the neighborhood patrols to deter crime , Then police work became reactive , only dealing with crime after the fact.
    We live in unincorporated Harris County. The only police force we have is the Harris County Sheriff's Department. I called them out to report a crime a few weeks ago, trying to be pro-active and they informed me that our HOA owns the streets we live on and they can not patrol our neighborhood. ll they can do is come if we call them and make a report.

So we are on our own to fend off criminals by ourselves. Exactly why my wife and I have carry permits now and have taken tactical shooting classes. We are own our own to protect our on lives from the criminal element that has been allow to roam free in this city since mayor Bill White took over and ruined everything. Katrina criminals, illegals, and Mexican drug cartels have taken over.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Wow... talk about the wild west coming back...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by forest
    Wow... talk about the wild west coming back...
    Dodge city baby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast