Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Clock ticking on SAVE Act?

Is there a time limit to acquiring the necessary votes on the discharge petition? Can this go all the way until this Congress adjourns next January?

Clock ticking

I don't know about time limits regarding the SAVE ACT discharge petition.

I DO know that the Basic Pilot E Verify system is due to be renewed or replaced. That is why we are hearing of similiar, less stringent proposals for workplace enforcement. There is an e-verify bill by Sam Johnson of Texas that has hidden agendas to strip individual states of immigration enforcement rights. We really have to stay on our toes and study each new bill. Employers can opt out of the new program after ONE YEAR.

The sneaky Democrats will do almost anything to legalize those who come in illegally, and are equally opposed to workplace enforcement that would actually force self deportation. Many Republicans want to look strong on enforcement to appease the voters.

Don't be fooled. The SAVE ACT is a good one and the American people should settle for nothing less.

I thought I heard someone remark on a radio show that they had to gather the votes by June. I think that's incorrect. Based on Wikipedia, it looks like we have until this Congress adjourns in January.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discharge_petition

"At the end of each session of Congress, any discharge petitions remaining unresolved or lacking the required number of signatures are removed from consideration."

Here is something I didn't know:

"Once the House acts on a discharge motion, any further discharge petitions on the same subject are precluded for the remainder of the session of Congress (until the calendar year's close, normally)."

so basically every year is a session (a Congress lasts two years.)