Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Columnist tears into political parties' treatment of Latinos during speech at Tulsa

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Columnist tears into political parties' treatment of Latinos during speech at Tulsa

Columnist tears into political parties' treatment of Latinos during speech at Tulsa library

By GINNIE GRAHAM World Staff Writer
    Published: 3/30/2012 2:26 AM
    Last Modified: 3/30/2012 6:08 AM

Columnist Ruben Navarrette tore into both political parties Thursday evening for their treatment of Latinos.

Navarrette is a nationally syndicated columnist with The Washington Post Writers Group and writes twice-weekly columns. His work appears on the Tulsa World's editorial pages.

He spoke to a crowd of about 80 people at the Martin Regional Library on Thursday and discussed the mixed messages Latino people receive.

On one hand, people of Hispanic ethnicity are growing at the most rapid pace of any minority group, he noted.

Projections indicate that Hispanics will represent 25 percent of the U.S. population by 2030 and one-third of the population by 2050.

"But I don't feel very powerful," Navarrette said. "We are taken for granted by one party and written off by another."

Navarrette criticized President Barack Obama for his inaction on pushing for congressional immigration reforms with the same fervor he did for health care and mortgage reforms.

The record-high deportations under the Obama administration raised the most ire with him.

"My beef with Obama is not deporting people, but it's the way he's doing it that is deceitful," he said.

Navarrette pointed to the federal Secure Communities program, which deputizes local law enforcement officers to enforce federal immigration laws.

He said that has led to the deportations of more than 1.2 million people under the Obama presidency, most of whom were picked up for minor infractions such as speeding or drinking violations.

He said local police agencies do not understand the nuances of immigration law.

He said the federal programs, along with tougher state laws, lead to racial profiling of Mexican immigrants.

"Politicians want to blend all people with a badge into Border Patrol agents," he said. "There are a lot of things local police do well and know what to do, but they don't know how to enforce immigration laws. That is beyond their pay grade. It's not what they learn in police academies."

Navarrette said the approach to immigration and words used by Republican leaders are embraced by racist people.

"I'm not saying you are one, but I'm saying you are speaking a language that appeals to racists," he said. "It doesn't make you a bad person, but it makes you an opportunist."

Navarrette, a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government, stressed the need for people to find factual information from trusted news sources for advocacy and informed voting.

"Read the paper - even if on your iPad," he said.

"Listen to radio; seek information; challenge your allies. Be informed."

Navarrette said the fear of immigrants is not a new story for the United States, starting with Ben Franklin's opposition to Germans settling in Pennsylvania at the country's founding.

"It's not a question of pushing people out but of bringing people together," he said.

"Always think about the promise we have, not the fear. Every challenge we have, there is an answer. We have to focus on the positive and build on that."

The event was sponsored by the Tulsa City-County Library Trust and the Williams Cos.

Original Print Headline: Columnist decries Latino treatment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ginnie Graham 918-581-8376
    ginnie.graham@tulsaworld.com
    By GINNIE GRAHAM World Staff Writer

Columnist tears into political parties' treatment of Latinos during speech at Tulsa library | Tulsa World
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am sick to death of people standing up for illegals and ignoring our laws and what WE want and need. We don't care what the illegals want. We want our citizens back to work, our language spoken in our own country, our people protected from the illegal murderers, pedophiles and thieves. We want our country back where we don't have to feel like strangers in our own land. We are sick and tired of illegals being on a pedestal with their every need and wants met. We've had more than enough of this bull!

AGAIN, why on earth do we continue to give this wack job FACE TIME HERE, IGNORE HIM please.
    Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!

Fear of immigrants, Mr. Navarette? Illegal aliens aren't immigrants!

"Navarrette said the approach to immigration and words used by Republican leaders are embraced by racist people.

"I'm not saying you are one, but I'm saying you are speaking a language that appeals to racists," he said. "It doesn't make you a bad person, but an opportunist"

Well Navarette, isn't the approach to illegal immigration and words used by the Democrats and people like you being embraced by brown racists? Pot, kettle, black!

So to show open objection to illegal immigration and being pro-enforcement of our immigration laws is a language that appeals to racists? How about the appeal to non-racists Americans? The opportunists are Obama and the Democrats pandering for votes from the Hispanic community based on an amnesty promise.

In short Navarette, you and your anti-American, ethnocentric racists can go to hell!!

Quote Originally Posted by dregerk View Post
    AGAIN, why on earth do we continue to give this wack job FACE TIME HERE . . .
    We all need a good laugh?
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn