Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

COMMENTARY : American Culture Should Be Preserved

American culture should be preserved

NORTH COUNTY TIMES
    ESCONDIDO, CALIFORNIA
    JANUARY 6, 2008

By: SAM ABED - Commentary

Some 20 years ago, I immigrated to the United States, motivated by hopes of an American dream and a passion to live and enjoy a great democracy, rich culture and wonderful family values that made America the greatest country in the world.

The America of today is under an unprecedented moral challenge. More than two centuries of legacy and history, built on freedom and strong cultural values, are at stake. We are faced with liberal ideologies, led by the American Civil Liberty Union putting our constitutional principles at risk.

The ACLU agenda stops short of embracing a borderless world with no geographical, economical and social boundaries. They have shamefully defended massive illegal immigration and routinely sue the government on civil rights entitlements that are fundamental privileges and immunities afforded to lawful American citizens.

The majority of the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants are unwilling to become Americans. Whatever new immigration reforms there are should include educational and cultural standards for naturalized citizens to have the civic and moral obligation to respect the law, speak English, and more importantly, assimilate into our culture. Immigrants can always be proud of their heritage and be loyal to America at the same time.

Liberal judges, supposedly sworn in to protect our Constitution, are, more then ever, practicing reverse discrimination by granting equal rights to illegal immigrants under the banner of human rights. Some judges have imposed restraining orders on our government's rightful attempts to stop and prosecute employers who hire illegal workforce, undermining the spirit of our justice system.

Meanwhile, the news media are becoming more sympathetic to liberal political and social values by advocating more tolerance to those who break the law and advancing double accountability standards at the expense of citizens' rights. News reporting has become more aligned with liberal viewpoints on editorial pages and has lost much of the objectivity that has been the foundation of the journalism profession.

More public officials today put political correctness ahead of national sovereignty. For the majority of the U.S. Senate to vote recently against excluding gang members and criminals from the failed amnesty is beyond belief. Liberal legislators, in the name of diversity, are depriving our children from their most precious family values of using the words of "mom and dad" at school. Same-sex marriage is more acceptable today! Even the "under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance has become controversial. And why is the Christian faith being less tolerated than others?

For America to remain a great nation, we need to protect our fundamental rights entrusted to us by our Founding Fathers. As a naturalized citizen, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I have to defend the very cultural values that attracted me to America. This country is blessed with a Bill of Rights founded on constitutional and moral principles that need to be preserved, sooner rather than later.

Sam Abed is mayor pro tem of the city of Escondido.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01 ... 1_5_08.txt

Sam needs some support. The Open Border people are leaving lots of comments.

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01 ... ogcomments

Roberto1 wrote on Jan 5, 2008 9:27 PM:I'll betcha 50 cents Sam's rhetoric plays well in small time politics...The truth be known, Our American culture is even more enbedded and patriotic than his. My relatives have died so I can tell sammy he is full of crap....

I think we need to get rid of the anti-ACLU......and what is this I am reading everywhere about...."The Hispanic governers group...the hispanic civil rights group....the black civil rights etc etc"....What happened to plane old the American group of this or that..... these separate groups are only making us racist.... also...there is no "white group" cause that would be racist!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hi there grandmasmad.

Ah, the age-old argument surrounding multiculturalism. It is one that is intertwined with the American experience intimately.

You've probably caught my many links to the article (well, a speech really) below, but I'll post it again for your benefit as well as many new signups and onlookers as well. I, personally, think that hyphenated Americanism is a bad and ultimately destructive thing to our country.

Read here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/lamm.asp

(PS. Richard Lamm was the former Democratic Governor of Colorado in the 1970s-1980s)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)