Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Company that is hiring states "Spanish is required"

Here is a job listing at the Oregon Employment Job Listings.

Because of the fact that they state spanish is required, would this be considered discrimination?

Just want your input

Job Listing ID: 737071 Job Title: Crate Builder

Application Deadline: Open Until Filled Job Location: Tualatin
    Date Posted: 11/02/2010 Hours Worked Per Week: 40
    Computer Skills: N/A Shift: Swing Shift
    Occupational Skills: Required Duration of Job: Full Time, more than 6 months

How to apply for this position:
    The employer has requested that WorkSource Oregon pre-screen all applicants for this position. Please contact your local WorkSource Oregon office if you wish to apply for this job.

Job Summary: Physically demanding general labor job!!

Will be building wooden shipping crates - fast paced job and work environment.

**Forklift experience is a plus**

BiLingual English/Spanish is required - Spanish only speaking candidates are also welcome to apply for this position!
    ***Must provide your own steel toed boots, safety glasses and tape measure***

Swing shift: 3pm - midnight

Must have your own transportation - location is NOT bus accessible

Requirements:
    Experience working with hand tools
    Position requires standing, walking and doing physical labor for the entire shift
    Position requires lifting 50 - 75 lbs consistently and 100 lbs frequently
    Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen

Language skill requirement or preference: company has Spanish speaking managers and crew

Job Classification: Construction Laborers

Access our statewide or regional occupation report for more information about wages,
    employment outlooks, skills, training programs, related occupations, and more.

Compensation
    Salary: $9.00 per Hour

Job Requirements
    Experience Required: At least 1 year
    Education Required: None Minimum Age: 18
    Employer Will Perform: Background Check, Drug Test

http://www.emp.state.or.us/jobs/index.c ... e=N&lang=E

Looks like they are recruiting illegals - JMO.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Company that is hiring states "Spanish is required&

Language skill requirement or preference: company has Spanish speaking managers and crew
    My feeling is Lawsuit time!! If we have to provide Spanish translators at hospitals, schools, government building, and most everywhere else, shouldn't this company be required to have English speaking supervisors or translators?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

About 10 years ago...I applied for a GOOD..SOLID County of Los Angeles job....scored 95 on the hard test and could not be hired cause I was not Spanish speaking.....

YES!!!!!! that is discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No Blacks or Whites need apply!
    How bout "ADIOS' AMIGO,HASTA LA VISTA BAMBINA"
    "TU CASA ES EN MEXICO!"VAMANOS CASA"
    How am I doin' so far?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    I wish I could find out the name of this company, but you have to apply for the job through Workforce Oregon.

Oregon's been a sanctuary state for 40+yrs. Soon as they cut down all the trees, here they come by the millions.U-pick, no Me-pick.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My entire 30 years in Tucson I've been limited at the jobs I could apply for because I didn't speak Spanish. They are typically listed as "Spanish speaker preferred." They select who they want for the job and if you can't show them you speak Spanish proficiently, they won't consider you.

It is a qualification for the job and I don't think there is anything illegal about it.

I just always felt that it opened up a world of endless jobs to the kids who could speak Spanish and it greatly limited my job prospects.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

BiLingual English/Spanish is required - Spanish only speaking candidates are also welcome to apply for this position!

Requirements:
    Experience working with hand tools
    Position requires standing, walking and doing physical labor for the entire shift
    Position requires lifting 50 - 75 lbs consistently and 100 lbs frequently
    Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen
    Speaking Spanish is not a qualification for any of there requirements. It is catering and pandering to one ethnic group and I believe that is called discrimination.

Oregon Civil Rights

RACE, COLOR & NATIONAL ORIGIN DISCRIMINATION

State and federal laws prohibit different terms or conditions of employment based on race, color or national origin. An employer may not provide separate facilities, unequal benefits or unequal opportunities because of race, color or national origin.

Association with Persons of Another Race
    An employer may not discriminate against an individual because that person associates with members of a particular race, color or national origin.

Example: A white employee is scrutinized more carefully for tardiness because of his relationship with a black woman.
    It is unlawful to discharge, to refuse to hire or otherwise to discriminate against an individual who is associated with a group that promotes racial, religious or national group interests, even if that person is not a member of that racial, religious or national group.
    Dress Code
    An employer may set standards of dress or appearance for employment purposes. However, dress codes should take into account different racial characteristics and should not set standards that would deny an employment opportunity to a member of a particular race or national origin.

Definition of National Origin
    The term "national origin" is not defined under federal law. State law, ORS 659.010(10) simply states, "National origin includes ancestry." Discrimination on the basis of national origin may be found if one is denied an employment opportunity because:

The individual or the individual´s forebears came from a particular country.

The individual possesses a particular ancestry, heritage or background.

The individual´s name or the name of the individual´s spouse reflects a certain national origin.

[b]English as a Job Requirement
    Requiring employees to speak fluent English may have an adverse impact on persons born in non English-speaking countries. For this reason, employers should impose this requirement only when there is a business necessity to do so. Similarly, an employer cannot discriminate based upon a dislike (or concern for possible customers´ dislike) of a particular accent.

Employees should not be prohibited from speaking another language during break time or during work time when safety or efficiency are not affected by the use of another language.

Assignments Based on Race or National Origin
    Federal law and guidelines dictate that employers may not assign an employee to particular job duties on the basis of the employee´s race or national origin because:

The clientele being serviced is of the same or a similar group.
    Customers would prefer it.
    Persons of that group have traditionally held certain jobs.

However, an employer may assign job duties on the basis of an individual´s ability to perform a job function.

Example: An employer may require that an employee speak fluent Spanish when the job requires dealing with members of the public who speak Spanish and little or no English.

BFOQ
    National origin may be considered a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) for security purposes when persons of a particular national group would be unable to get clearance necessary to perform a particular job.[/b}

Native American Preference
    State and federal law prohibits discrimination against Native Americans. However, federal law allows an employer to give preferential treatment to Native Americans when:

The business is on or near an Indian reservation.
    The prospective employment has been publicly announced.
    The individual being preferred is an Indian living on or near a reservation..

Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA)
    This federal law requires employers to complete an employment eligibility verification form (I-9) for all employees hired after November 6, 1986. IRCA also prohibits discrimination based on national origin and citizenship.

I-9 Form
    The I-9- Form lists several kinds of documents (such as passports, alien registration cards, driver´s licenses and social security cards) that an employee can present to show that he or she is legally authorized to work in the United States.

A common mistake employers make is assuming that they can express a preference for the types of documents an employee should present. This kind of preference is considered discrimination based upon citizenship under IRCA. For more information, contact the Immigration and Naturalization Service information line at 1-800-255-8155.

Example: An employer requires seeing an alien registration or "green" card if the employee has one, rather than accepting a driver´s license or social security card.

http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/CRD/C_Race.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast