Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Conference seeks Latino solidarity

Can you believe this BS!? They just don't get it!

"Conference seeks Latino solidarity"

by: David Montero
    El Paso.Tx.
    01/23/2010
    12:00:00 AM MST

EL PASO -- About 400 participants will descend on El Paso to discuss immigration reform, climate change and the economy when the fourth annual National Latino Congresso begins Friday.

Antonio Gonzalez, president of the William C. Velasquez Institute, said immigration reform would be the most hotly debated of the topics. However, he said, the economy is what is on the minds of many Latinos.

He said that Latino unemployment was almost 20 percent nationally and that 2 million have lost homes in foreclosure. He said millions more would probably lose their homes this year.

"This congresso comes at a very critical time -- I'd like to say opportune time -- but critical conveys the meaning more appropriately," he said during a news conference. "Our economy is in crisis."

The conference at the Camino Real Hotel is designed to forge a direction for a national dialogue on issues important to Latinos.

It's also a chance for candidates to speak to a group that might mobilize voters in the coming primary elections.

Democratic gubernatorial candidates Bill White and Farouk Shami have said they will attend the conference. Gonzalez said the NLC was still awaiting responses from U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Gov. Rick Perry, who are competing in the Republican primary.

Kelly Love Johnson, spokes woman for Shami, said that the candidate is to appear Friday before the group for an hour beginning at 4 p.m. and that it would be a question-and-answer format.

Katy Bacon, spokeswoman for White's campaign, said the candidate would address the NLC on Saturday afternoon.
    The NLC, which is nonpartisan, attempts to set an agenda for Latino issues nationally. Gonzalez said to expect a heated debate on immigration reform once the congresso begins.

"It will be the push for the whole enchilada or an incremental approach and, then, what do we do if we don't get it this year," he said.

El Paso County Commissioner Anna Perez said having the congresso in El Paso would go a long way toward connecting the area with the powers in Washington, D.C.

Perez also applauded the congresso for choosing El Paso -- calling it a "stimulus package" for the region.

David Montero may be reached at dmontero@elpasotimes.com; 546-6249.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_14251056
    ------------------------

"Conference seeks White solidarity"
    by: David Montero
    El Paso.Tx.
    01/23/2010
    12:00:00 AM MST

Click photo to enlargeMariana Chew, left, Debra Kelly, center, listen to Lydia... (Ruben R. Ramirez / El Paso Times)«1234»EL PASO -- About 400 participants will descend on El Paso to discuss immigration reform, climate change and the economy when the fourth annual National White Congresso begins Friday.

Antonio Gonzalez, president of the William C. Velasquez Institute, said immigration reform would be the most hotly debated of the topics. However, he said, the economy is what is on the minds of many Whites.

He said that White unemployment was almost 20 percent nationally and that 2 million have lost homes in foreclosure. He said millions more would probably lose their homes this year.

"This congresso comes at a very critical time -- I'd like to say opportune time -- but critical conveys the meaning more appropriately," he said during a news conference. "Our economy is in crisis."

The conference at the Camino Real Hotel is designed to forge a direction for a national dialogue on issues important to Whites.

It's also a chance for candidates to speak to a group that might mobilize voters in the coming primary elections.

Democratic gubernatorial candidates Bill White and Farouk Shami have said they will attend the conference. Gonzalez said the NLC was still awaiting responses from U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Gov. Rick Perry, who are competing in the Republican primary.

Kelly Love Johnson, spokes woman for Shami, said that the candidate is to appear Friday before the group for an hour beginning at 4 p.m. and that it would be a question-and-answer format.

Katy Bacon, spokeswoman for White's campaign, said the candidate would address the NLC on Saturday afternoon.
    The NLC, which is nonpartisan, attempts to set an agenda for White issues nationally. Gonzalez said to expect a heated debate on immigration reform once the congresso begins.

"It will be the push for the whole enchilada or an incremental approach and, then, what do we do if we don't get it this year," he said.

El Paso County Commissioner Anna Perez said having the congresso in El Paso would go a long way toward connecting the area with the powers in Washington, D.C.

Perez also applauded the congresso for choosing El Paso -- calling it a "stimulus package" for the region.

David Montero may be reached at dmontero@elpasotimes.com; 546-6249.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't get it?
    I didn't find a duplicate.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    I don't get it?
    Read it again carefully mkfarnam. W submitted the same story, with the word "white" replacing the word latino, thereby demonstrating how whites would be perceived and called "racists" if we were to have a similiar conference.

Excellent point W!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    I don't get it?
    Read it again carefully mkfarnam. W submitted the same story, with the word "white" replacing the word latino, thereby demonstrating how whites would be perceived and called "racists" if we were to have a similiar conference.

Excellent point W!
    Ok, I see.. thanks NoBueno.

Yes, very good point William....
    ------------------------

Sure many Latinos lost houses due to foreclosure but at the same time thier fellow Latinos were then ones who ripped them off most often. I seen it in South Florida and the Russians ripped off fellow Russians, ect. Many immigrants came from countries where there was credit and don't know much about it and thus were easy victims. As for unemployment if you are unskilled then you wll have a harder time getting a job especially if you speak minimal or no English.

Even in SW Fla., I saw a lot of that. An immigrant family proudly bought a house in Cape Coral for cash from a fellow countryman. Except the guy did not own the house, only rented. Goodbye, cash.
    With the Germans, it was a while where those with money built McMansions outside of Lehigh Acres, and sold them to other Germans for a small fortune. Yeah, they were the largest houses around (six bedrooms, four baths) but the neighborhood was mostly modest single-family homes built in the 1960s and 70s--some two bedrooms, one bath.
    The best thing we can do is what most of Europe did: no property ownership unless you are a citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Even in SW Fla., I saw a lot of that. An immigrant family proudly bought a house in Cape Coral for cash from a fellow countryman. Except the guy did not own the house, only rented. Goodbye, cash.
    With the Germans, it was a while where those with money built McMansions outside of Lehigh Acres, and sold them to other Germans for a small fortune. Yeah, they were the largest houses around (six bedrooms, four baths) but the neighborhood was mostly modest single-family homes built in the 1960s and 70s--some two bedrooms, one bath.
    The best thing we can do is what most of Europe did: no property ownership unless you are a citizen!
    Actually beleieve or not there is a law in the state of Florida that says you are not allowed to buy real estates unless you are a legal resident. I don't know how they got around it with the Canadians who have condos and come down for the winter. Mind you they are not a problem as they are not being foreclosed on. In fact in the last election they were voting on whether they were going to keep that law or not and it is still on the books but unenforced. Also many banks were looking the other way for mortgages. When I got a mortgage through Wachovia for my condo you needed a SSN and proof of residency.

From what I remember of the old FAR/BAR real estate contracts was that the SSN was required, but the one I still have from 2004 has no such requirement. There were a lot of disclosures needed in the 90s, such as an affidavit that one was a foreign national upon purchase, so if the property was ever sold, 10 percent of the sales price would be held to pay taxes.
    Of course, when the boom started, banks started with the no-doc liar loans and the whole market just kept inflating.
    But there has never been a ban on foreigners owning real estate, our companies, or infrastructure (Westvaco and 7-11s were majority Japanese owned, Chinese tried to buy Unocal for its rare earth elements, and of course, Dubai Ports World was snapping up all of our ports; our toll roads and bridges are continually sold to foreign interests; the historic Flatiron Building in NY is owned by an Italian conglomerate; and Fla. real estate agents are giving tours to Chinese investors, and Trump's megamansion in Fla was sold a couple years ago to a Russian fertilizer magnate).

These Hispanic/Latino conferences need to address the fact that many U.S. born Hispanics are hurt by illegal immigration. Many have been victims of identity theft due to their surnames. Others have been effected in the trade industries due to illegals. Some predominately Hispanic neighborhoods across the country have decline due to illegal immigration. Years ago in Albuquerque there were some predominately Hispanic neighborhoods that were safe and clean to live in. Now illegals have caused some of those neighborhoods to be crime ridden with drugs and gangs.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast