Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cornyn declines to back Cruz ahead of Senate primary

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cornyn declines to back Cruz ahead of Senate primary

Cornyn declines to back Cruz ahead of Senate primary

By Manu Raju, Senior Political Reporter
    Updated 6:59 PM ET, Wed September 7, 2016

Washington (CNN)Texas Sen. Ted Cruz shouldn't expect much help from the senior GOP senator from his state, John Cornyn, ahead of a potential Senate primary challenge next cycle.

Cornyn, the Senate majority whip, told CNN Wednesday that he would not endorse either Cruz or his possible primary challenger, Rep. Michael McCaul, if the two squared off in 2018. It's unusual for senators not to endorse colleagues from the same party -- let alone from the same state.

But Cornyn's decision to stay out of a primary challenge shows how frosty Cruz's relations have become with his GOP colleagues after three years of bitter infighting and name-calling from the campaign trail. Cruz himself declined to endorse Cornyn during the senior senator's 2014 primary campaign.

"I'm not going to get involved in any primary races particularly with my colleagues in the Senate," Cornyn told CNN when asked about Cruz and McCaul squaring off. "We'll see what happens, but we've got plenty to worry about between now and November 2016 before we start worrying about November 2018."

Reminded that senators typically back incumbents from their own party, Cornyn demurred.

"I see no benefit to anyone to get involved in the contested Republican primary so I would sit on the sidelines and watch with interest," Cornyn said, adding that he is "not recruiting anybody" to get into the race.

Cornyn's comments come as a behind-the-scenes lobbying campaign to recruit McCaul into the race has begun to take shape, intensifying after Cruz's speech at the GOP convention in July when he refused to endorse GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump -- eliciting backlash in some quarters of the GOP.

Yet defeating Cruz in a primary challenge would be a tall order, given the deep support he has from grassroots conservatives and the national fundraising network he built during his presidential campaign this year.

McCaul, however, is one of the wealthiest members of Congress.

And he has positioned himself as a leading GOP voice on national security issues as chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

On Wednesday, McCaul declined to say if he would rule out a run against Cruz after November.

"I'm focusing on reelection," McCaul told CNN when asked if he was considering a run against Cruz. "That's my focus right now."

Cruz has largely avoided weighing in on McCaul, but he sent out a fundraising notice last week saying that the establishment is looking to fund a primary challenge against him.

On Wednesday, Cruz declined to comment about McCaul as he was walking into a hearing.

"I'm headed to a Judiciary Committee hearing," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/07/politi...texas-primary/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't know who in Texas will run against Cruz, I hope someone really really good who wants to stop illegal immigration, deport illegal aliens, build the wall, make Mexico pay for it, and fix our bad trade deals along with upgrading our military and infrastructure in a cost effective manner.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I don't know who in Texas will run against Cruz, I hope someone really really good who wants to stop illegal immigration, deport illegal aliens, build the wall, make Mexico pay for it, and fix our bad trade deals along with upgrading our military and infrastructure in a cost effective manner.
    Be careful of what you ask for. Right now, with all Trump's flopping around on amnesty, Cruz may have been a better choice for us. At least he was consistent on illegal immigration. Besides all that, we could definitely do a lot worse than Cruz in the Senate. In the end it is looking like best case scenario, Trump immigration plans aren't any different than Cruz's were. In the worst case scenario, it looks like Trump could be worse because he has now said, on two different occasions over the last week or so, that he could supports some variation of amnesty for illegals. The rest of what he's saying now isn't any different than what Cruz was saying.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigration isn't the only issue in this election or the next US Senate race in Texas. Anyone who thinks or believes for a minute that Ted Cruz would actually enforce US immigration law with his donor cartel, just isn't paying close enough attention, in my opinion. Furthermore, anyone who thinks he could win a General Election is well, just not in touch with US voters. Cruz couldn't even win the primary. It wasn't even close.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I don't know who in Texas will run against Cruz, . . .
    . . . Cruz primary challenger, Rep. Michael McCaul, . . .
    (From the article.)

Michael McCaul on Immigration
    • Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)
    • Voted YES on preventing tipping off Mexicans about Minuteman Project. (Jun 2006)
    • Rated 100% by USBC, indicating a sealed-border stance. (Dec 2006)
    • Rated B by the ALIPAC , indicating an acceptably anti-amnesty stance. (Nov 2010)
    • Declare English as the official language of the US. (Feb 2007)

http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Michae...tm#Immigration
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn