Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cornyn Email on Sotomayor

Dear xxxx

Thank you for contacting me about the confirmation of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to serve as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

As you know, on May 26, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated Judge Sonia Sotomayor to serve on the United States Supreme Court. As your Senator, and a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, it is my constitutional duty to carefully review the record and qualifications of each judicial nominee submitted for approval by the President. Because Judge Sotomayor would serve for life if she is confirmed, it is essential that the Senate conduct a full and fair review of her record. Judge Sotomayor's confirmation hearing is scheduled for July 13, 2009, and you may be certain that I will work to ensure that her hearing is conducted in a dignified and respectful manner.

I do not believe that it is appropriate for anyone to pre-judge or pre-confirm Judge Sotomayor; however, it is the constitutional duty of the Senate to thoroughly review the record of all judicial nominees and provide advice and consent. I have identified several issues of concern with Judge Sotomayor's record that deserve further explanation, including whether Judge Sotomayor believes that the right to bear arms is an individual and fundamental right of all citizens. Americans should be informed as to whether Judge Sotomayor will uphold one of the fundamental liberties enshrined in the Bill of Rights, the right to keep and bear arms. Additionally, Judge Sotomayor's views on the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution—which protects against the unjust seizure of private property—deserve further explanation. She will be asked whether she believes the Constitution permits the government to seize private property from its citizens for the benefit of other private parties. I strongly believe that the protection of homes, small businesses, and other private property against unreasonable government seizure and other government interference is a fundamental constitutional principle and core commitment of our nation’s Founders.

Finally, Judge Sotomayor should state her interpretation of the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution which provides that "no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Ongoing cases before the Supreme Court involve this protection and I believe that Americans deserve to know whether Judge Sotomayor's philosophy lies within that of the judicial mainstream. All citizens should be informed as to whether Judge Sotomayor will be a justice for all or a justice for a few. It is my hope that Judge Sotomayor will prove herself to possess the impartiality, integrity, legal expertise, and judicial temperament that we expect from those that sit on our highest court. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will keep your views in mind as I continue working with my colleagues to conduct a thorough and respectful confirmation process in the Senate.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Tel: (202) 224-2934
    Fax: (202) 228-2856
    http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/

Please sign up for my monthly newsletter at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/newsletter.

I have a problem with her consulting International law for rulings, which she had done in a lower court.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    I have a problem with her consulting International law for rulings, which she had done in a lower court.

Dixie
    I have a problem with SO many of the things she has done!!!!

Fellow Texans, Cornyn is one of the MANY people we need to vote out. NO incumbents re-elected, no matter what.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Quote Originally Posted by jshhmr
    Fellow Texans, Cornyn is one of the MANY people we need to vote out. NO incumbents re-elected, no matter what.
    I don't agree with this at all. I'd sure hate think what things would be like with Senator Sessions being out of office, and I'm sure he's not the only one....
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Quote Originally Posted by jshhmr
    If the next election turns out like this past one, It will be Cornyn some Democrat who is far, far left and Independents that no one has ever heard of. we need someone who stand a chance of being elected to run against Cornyn.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Sen. Cornyn began posing a "Daily (Legal) Question for Judge Sotomayor" - which he explains for the layperson - on his website June 12.

See "Sen. Cornyn's Daily Question for Sotomayor 06/12-26/09" and then on his website (link included):
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-160859.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, He needs voted out

Who do we have that can run for his seat? My 7yr old grandson cares more about Americans than he does.
    We the People. You the Invader